Go Green—reduced housekeeping services—is this new?

cruisestitch

2 hours ago, mom says said:

From some of the reactions in this thread you'd think they'd  eliminated all cabin services altogether. 🙄 Is the cabin cleaned daily ? Yes. Is the trash removed? Yes. Is the bathroom cleaned? Yes. Are the bed linens changed as usual? Yes. Are the towels changed daily? Yes. Is there evening turn down service? Yes. I find nothing unacceptable with any of this, so we would certainly opt for the program.

Quick question for the outraged - how many of you do a full cleaning and towel change at home twice every single day?

I wouldn't call this discussion "outrage".  Where are you getting that?  Some of us want to get what we pay for.

I apologize for my joke, because that's what it was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I wouldn't call this discussion "outrage".  Where are you getting that?  Some of us want to get what we pay for.

Thank you. Perhaps an emoji next time?

• Like 1

Looking forward on our next cruise to have  our ice bucket filled twice daily, clean glasses, bed made in the morning, bed turned down in the evening with pillow chocolates, bed lien changed every third day,  Celebrity Today on the bed in the evening, trashed emptied and fresh towels twice a day, vacuumed if needed and bathroom taken care like in the past. We (wife and I) have never left any personal items out (nothing to move) so taking care of our stateroom is quick and easy for the attendant. 

Edited by davekathy

51 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m confused. Unless you opt in, you’re getting exactly what you paid for. And if you opt in, you’re accepting the trade for points. I don’t get it. 

Hotels have done this for years. I’ve stayed on business trips where friends and coworkers opted out of daily cleaning and I didn’t, and their choice had no impact on my stay. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, markeb said:

I’m confused. Unless you opt in, you’re getting exactly what you paid for. And if you opt in, you’re accepting the trade for points. I don’t get it. 

Hotels have done this for years. I’ve stayed on business trips where friends and coworkers opted out of daily cleaning and I didn’t, and their choice had no impact on my stay. 

Not sure why it's confusing?  Those of us who want our money's worth will NOT opt-in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mom says said:

From some of the reactions in this thread you'd think they'd  eliminated all cabin services altogether. 🙄 Is the cabin cleaned daily ? Yes. Is the trash removed? Yes. Is the bathroom cleaned? Yes. Are the bed linens changed as usual? Yes. Are the towels changed daily? Yes. Is there evening turn down service? Yes. I find nothing unacceptable with any of this, so we would certainly opt for the program.

Quick question for the outraged - how many of you do a full cleaning and towel change at home twice every single day?

The current pricing has money built into it to cover the cost. With the advent of AI, the points are just about useless, just another type of money grab.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Not sure why it's confusing?  Those of us who want our money's worth will NOT opt-in.

?????

Status quo. No change. Hence the confusion.

Nothing changes for you. Absolutely no dog in this fight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

?????

Status quo. No change. Hence the confusion.

Nothing changes for you. Absolutely no dog in this fight. 

The question is.... does this at some time in the future become mandatory? 

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

My Magic 8 Ball says, "no". 

Hilton disagrees with you.  Yea I know its not exactly mandatory but it's pretty close.

Edited by zitsky

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Hilton disagrees with you.  Yea I know its not exactly mandatory but it's pretty close.

Just some context...

Hilton is actually the third largest hotel chain in the US. It's largest brand, many times over, is Hampton Inn. I don't think Hampton Inn is suspending daily service, but I'm a Marriott guy and really don't pay much attention to them.

The largest hotel chain in the US, which surprised me, is Wyndham, but they own Super 8, Days Inn, La Quinta, etc. In fact, surprisingly, the list I'm looking at no longer has a Wyndham branded hotel in their portfolio, other than Wyndham Garden.

Marriott is in second place, with Fairfield Inn being far and away the largest property in their portfolio.

I don't know how much to read into "Hilton" going to reduced service. Hilton branded hotels only make up 5.3% of the Hilton hotels. Hilton hotels are almost a rounding error in the Hilton portfolio! 

And I seriously believe things will change in the major hotel chains in 12-18 months when some form of "normality" becomes normal. Which I'll argue isn't the case today.

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Oh, I thought we were specifically talking Celebrity. Staying at Homewood Suites (Hilton property) next week for a few nights and daily housekeeping is per request.

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

But why is Hilton the standard against which all others are measured? I can think of several ways where the average hotel (not just Hilton) differs from the average cruise ship. Length of stay being the first. And I'm not convinced these changes are permanent. I know it is not a popular thing to say, but the pandemic isnt over yet. Precautions are going to be necessary for a while. Only time will tell how the hotel industry as a whole responds.

And why are some condemning this optional program because it might become standard some time in the future? Lots of things might come to pass in the future. But I don't think I will automatically condemn this new, opt in program until I actually see an adverse effect. YMMV.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

And why are some condemning this optional program because it might become standard some time in the future? Lots of things might come to pass in the future. But I don't think I will automatically condemn this new, opt in program until I actually see an adverse effect. YMMV.

Talk to the people who condemned the one perk, two perks, three perks when that pricing model started. Look where we are now with all included (or whatever you call it).

I don't think it's a stretch to view this change as a trial balloon for vastly reduced services.

Too late, and I should just call it a night. 

if respondents on this thread are so convinced that Celebrity, a company they clearly have a long term relationship with, is out to screw them over, why are you still planning to give your hard earned money to a company you clearly believe you can’t trust? Go somewhere else.  Seriously. It isn’t worth stressing over. Find another cruise line. Before your next cruise. 

if you think, like many do, that BMW isn’t the product you want to drive, then check out Mercedes or Porsche. If you hate Windows, try a Mac There’s a certain catharsis to complain about your old friend changing, but it rarely has a value. Go elsewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, markeb said:

Too late, and I should just call it a night. 

if respondents on this thread are so convinced that Celebrity, a company they clearly have a long term relationship with, is out to screw them over, why are you still planning to give your hard earned money to a company you clearly believe you can’t trust? Go somewhere else.  Seriously. It isn’t worth stressing over. Find another cruise line. Before your next cruise. 

if you think, like many do, that BMW isn’t the product you want to drive, then check out Mercedes or Porsche. If you hate Windows, try a Mac There’s a certain catharsis to complain about your old friend changing, but it rarely has a value. Go elsewhere. 

The marketing strategy is becoming focused on the younger generation, smart move, and I love the product!  They will love the green approach, no one is taking anything from us, we still have options.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

The current pricing has money built into it to cover the cost. With the advent of AI, the points are just about useless, just another type of money grab.

The times they are a changing…nothing to see here move along…

8 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

When friends ask what do you like the most about cruising, what do most mention?  The pampering and service which of course you have a high mandatory service charge for?  That is one of the things that make cruises and luxury cruise lines popular ; not the only thing but one thing that most will mention.  The more a cruise is just like staying at a land based option, the more difficult it will be for them to exist.  They have to get people to trade off having larger accomodations, larger facilities like pools and restaurant, flexible deposits, flexible itineraries, etc to go on the ship for carefree, stress free vacation?

I agree. LLP did all that market research during the pandemic and we got “all-included” out of it. And learned that people don’t want to make decisions while on vacation they want it all included.

Okay… so how does this thesis go along with go green… it doesn’t 🙃

1 hour ago, mom says said:

But why is Hilton the standard against which all others are measured? I can think of several ways where the average hotel (not just Hilton) differs from the average cruise ship. Length of stay being the first. And I'm not convinced these changes are permanent. I know it is not a popular thing to say, but the pandemic isnt over yet. Precautions are going to be necessary for a while. Only time will tell how the hotel industry as a whole responds.

According to Celebrity they think they are comparable to One & Only and Jumeirah… i’ll let that sit there

5 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I agree. LLP did all that market research during the pandemic and we got “all-included” out of it. And learned that people don’t want to make decisions while on vacation they want it all included.

Okay… so how does this thesis go along with go green… it doesn’t 🙃

Always Included decisions are made prior to boarding/booking.  Going green, separate issue, the targeted demographic will like it, as they should.  I’m 60+ and totally get what and why celebrity is doing what they are.  It’s not your grandma’s living room anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

According to Celebrity they think they are comparable to One & Only and Jumeirah… i’ll let that sit there

Please provide the link to where Celebrity said they think this.

• Like 1