Go Green—reduced housekeeping services—is this new?

cruisestitch

13 hours ago, mek said:

Nope - not interested - I want dry towels every day and like my bed made up.  Will reduced services also mean a reduction in tips?  (And before anyone goes off on that, I always leave the auto gratuities on my bill and also tip extra.)

I agree. I don't believe anyone will be able to remove the gratuities under the AI (which is a good thing). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am fine with once a day deep cleaning, but I am not fine with not replacing towels.  We take mostly Caribbean cruises and that means we shower in the morning, and then again before dinner.  And no, in that humid of an environment (even in ship's air conditioning) the towels would not be dry by the afternoon, and there is really no room to hang them where they could adequately dry.  One of the many reasons I enjoy cruises much more than land vacations is the extra service provided, which we pay a pretty penny for.  As an Elite Plus who is unlikely to get to Zenith in my lifetime, extra points mean nothing to me.  I also don't need someone "organizing my items" .  I keep my stateroom very neat, thank you.

Regardless of pro or con, I am also cynical about the reason.  They are cutting down to reduce cost and staff.  Same reason the hotels are doing the same thing with daily housekeeping.  It's all about the bottom line.  They lost a ton of money last year and they are going to do whatever they can to make it up, just like land hotels.  At least for now it is optional - emphasis on the "for now".  This may be a test run to see how many would be satisfied with this option.  Yes, more cynicism from me

You are SPOT ON!

ANOTHER CUT BACK!

The "reduction in energy consumption" amounts to a reduction in diesel fuel usage, as the laundry (and the azipods, BTW) is powered by electricity generated by diesel turbines.   Considering how much power the ship is generating to fuel all systems I would bet this program would have little effect on the overall diesel consumption of a mega cruise ship.   Others with more engineering expertise please chime in.

• Like 3

Last few times we cruised they had the "Save The Waves" program.  If you didn't want fresh towels just hang your used towel on the towel bar. Leave in a pile if you wanted fresh.  The only problem was they did not pay attention in suites and replaced them regardless of where they were left.  My DH has sopping wet towels after a shower so we always appreciate fresh ones.

• Like 2

We would definitely opt in. 👍🏻We keep our stateroom tidy and as someone else mentioned, don’t really want our belongings rearranged, nor my pyjamas folded. In fact, we’d be quite happy with a trash & towel service every other day. The fewer times that someone else is in my room, the happier I’d be.🙂

I do think it’s time to do away with the daily paper deliveries. Such a waste of paper and ink.  Info on the stateroom tv or on the App are the way forward in my opinion.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, TraderSam said:

We would definitely opt in. 👍🏻We keep our stateroom tidy and as someone else mentioned, don’t really want our belongings rearranged, nor my pyjamas folded. In fact, we’d be quite happy with a trash & towel service every other day. The fewer times that someone else is in my room, the happier I’d be.🙂

I do think it’s time to do away with the daily paper deliveries. Such a waste of paper and ink.  Info on the stateroom tv or on the App are the way forward in my opinion.

And let's not forget the daily inserts such as the art auction!

• Like 6

Overall, I can't fault X for offering this program and at least giving something (CC points) for those who utilize it.  But this will most likely equate into a cut in staffing.

Personally, I'd love to be able to select my services in the app.  Remove any trash/dishes, make the bed and replace the towels and I'm good.

they are trying to reduce water consumption on the ship.  Washing towels uses a huge amount of water that generally can't be recycled or used into anything else on board.  

Many ships don't have sophisticated waster water management technology on board

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I admit that I don´t know how often a day you shower... but our towels are dry agin for the evening shower. We just hang them up. 

I don't change my towels daily at home nor do I change my sheets everyday, don't need it done on a ship either.  My room is always tidy, towels hung up after I shower, clothes in drawers one hung in closet.  Sign me up

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

So, if this is worth 5 points for Concierge, will singles get 10 points?

My guess is no.  "Go Green Bonus Points are excluded from any other Club point promotions."  X has used this to exclude solos for ANY additional points other than the usual double points for paying double fare (which now includes double drinks, double wifi, and double tips).  When I booked a cruise within a time period that offered an extra +20 points, I was excluded, just like the recent x2 promotions.  They used to say solos excluded but use the "Club point promotions" terminology now.  The only mention of solo recently is that E-class solo cabins are included.  I don't think solos will get ANY additional points.

Edited by goofysmom99
  • Like 1

But CC points now are pretty worthless (and totally worthless if you're in the suite life, as far as I can see with Always Included).

I do want my room looked after. Don't need new towels daily or new bedding daily (and haven't had this til now). Agree with those comments above - if they want to save something, move the endless bits of pointless paper onto the TV in the stateroom.

(We don't want to buy a Faberge egg, and we have no interest in your poor excuse for 'art')

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tfred said:

they are trying to reduce water consumption on the ship.

My WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is some bean counter came up with the idea to actively advertise this service pre-sailing in exchange for CC points.  The number one reason behind this IMO is to reduce staff.  Reduced water consumption, reduced cleaning supplies and other backend admin duties further reduce costs.

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Not a pop up….look at the first post in this thread and follow the instructions.  Enter your ship, sail date, booking number, CC number, etc

Thanks. I had meant get an email about it closer to time - not a literal pop up ad.

But I'm all signed up.

1 hour ago, talljules1 said:

But CC points now are pretty worthless (and totally worthless if you're in the suite life, as far as I can see with Always Included).

Definitely not worthless if you book a suite guarantee which doesn't include anything.

Just now, goofysmom99 said:

Definitely not worthless if you book a suite guarantee which doesn't include anything.

Indeed.  You will note I said "with Always Included".  You're all welcome to find exceptions not covered by what I wrote where they have some value.  I stated exactly what I meant.  If you are in a suite with AI, CC status adds nothing of use to us.

If they are of value to you, that's lovely. Fill yer boots.

For us they are now worthless.

1 hour ago, talljules1 said:

So you would not use the spa discount or the specialty restaurant discount or the laundry perk or Any of the other Captains Club features? They haven’t done away with them just because of the “always included”

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I read this as you would still get daily service, and they would change towels.

Yes - it looks like you miss out on a second sanitizing per day - no way we need that so have signed up (-:

o Current Housekeeping service consists of twice full daily cleaning and sanitization services; morning and evening.

o The Go Green program provides a full daily cleaning and sanitation service. The night touch service will provide a turndown of down of the bed, adjustment to room ambience, removal of garbage, and organization of guest items --making the stateroom and the bathroom neat with a personalized touch. With Go Green, the guest will specify a preferred time for their housekeeping services.

Lots of folks get room service or bring snacks and beverages back to their cabins.  There are few flat surfaces in the cabin and I don't want to have my lunch plate sitting there overnight.  Can see a mountain of disgusting dirty plates and glasses lining the corridors. 

Don't need twice daily cleanup, but fresh towels and a full ice bucket shouldn't be to much to ask for.