Grand Princess - Pros and Cons?

trvlwrld

20 hours ago, pris993 said:

Agree with your pros.  Don't totally agree with the ocns.  I always book a mini suite, same on all ships.  Agree great crew and staff... I have cruised on the Grand 10 times in past 15 years, last on board Feb 2020.  I would go again, but Ruby will now be in my home port of San Francisco.  Love the Ruby too. 

I'm in the Bay Area as well.  We always try to sail out of SF whenever possible.  I also will booking some cruises on the Ruby, which I've not had the pleasure of cruising on yet.  I have been on the Crown and the Emerald so think I know what to expect.  

The last couple of times on the Grand, we were in a WS so, I can honestly say, we still had amazing cruises on her.  When I cruised on the Royal Princess out of LA, though, I can honestly say that the Grand has seen its better days.  No more sparkle or shine left on the poor old step sister.  But, I would go again just for those WS cabins, even though we had clear some issues.  

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I'm in the Bay Area as well.  We always try to sail out of SF whenever possible.  I also will booking some cruises on the Ruby, which I've not had the pleasure of cruising on yet.  I have been on the Crown and the Emerald so think I know what to expect.  

The last couple of times on the Grand, we were in a WS so, I can honestly say, we still had amazing cruises on her.  When I cruised on the Royal Princess out of LA, though, I can honestly say that the Grand has seen its better days.  No more sparkle or shine left on the poor old step sister.  But, I would go again just for those WS cabins, even though we had clear some issues.  

You will love the Ruby, if you like the Grand.  It has been a few years since I have been on the Ruby.  Did a 7 day on the Ruby in Caribbean when it was new, liked it so much booked a TA.  Had a fantastic TA on the Ruby.  Did a TA on the Royal a few years later, not as pleased with it.  Missed the main deck and balconies are too narrow.    I would prefer the Ruby over Royal based on past experience.  I am looking to book another TA or British Isles cruise in 2023,  want to avoid the newer ships, too big for us.  

On 7/5/2021 at 4:24 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Cruise credits mean nothing now without the loyalty benefits that Princess removed.  You receive 1 credit for interior to mini suites.  2 pointes for suites.

Getting a Window Suite is very difficult.  When I first started cruise in them, no one knew about them and there was always availability.  Now you have to book them the week they open.  Everyone has so much FCCs from cancelled cruises that they are booking all the suites.  

Try to avoid F301.  It is a tad smaller than the rest of the suites.  F315 is an accessible Window Suite.  The higher the number, the close the cabin is to mid-ship.

I'm sure that if you booked a window suite, you will be able to convert your wife.  I have shared my love for these staterooms with many.

Moved from mini suite to F305. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Moved from mini suite to F305. 

Congratulations.  It's ONLY for 4 Suite breakfasts...you will survive.  I would continue to check availability. The higher the number the more mid-ship (accept for accessible cabin).  

6 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Congratulations.  It's ONLY for 4 Suite breakfasts...you will survive.  I would continue to check availability. The higher the number the more mid-ship (accept for accessible cabin).  

What availability am I looking for?  I grabbed the last WS on the ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pris993 said:

You will love the Ruby, if you like the Grand.  It has been a few years since I have been on the Ruby.  Did a 7 day on the Ruby in Caribbean when it was new, liked it so much booked a TA.  Had a fantastic TA on the Ruby.  Did a TA on the Royal a few years later, not as pleased with it.  Missed the main deck and balconies are too narrow.    I would prefer the Ruby over Royal based on past experience.  I am looking to book another TA or British Isles cruise in 2023,  want to avoid the newer ships, too big for us.  

I pretty much love all cruiseships, the Grand is probably my least favorite, though.  Don't get me wrong, I still had a great time every time I was on her.  I actually love the Royal class ships ... they just sparkle!  

I know the Ruby will be awesome .. just being able to get back out on the ocean again is going to be fantastic!  

On 7/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, mk-ultra said:

which leads me to gripe #2 -- out-of-service elevators all over the ship.  I just took the stairs mostly, but there were a lot of confused people in elevator lobbies waiting.

Are you sure that the elevators were out of service? In each lobby the outer bank of elevators are on a different call button from the center bank of elevators. Many people are not aware of that and get confused by that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AF-1 said:

What availability am I looking for?  I grabbed the last WS on the ship.

As final payment approaches, some "may" cancel and WIndow Suites are added back to inventory.  Sometimes the cabins will go to wait listed.  Just keep checking.  You might be surprised as when/what pops up.  Be assured that F305 is a good cabin.  There are just "better" ones.  

16 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As final payment approaches, some "may" cancel and WIndow Suites are added back to inventory.  Sometimes the cabins will go to wait listed.  Just keep checking.  You might be surprised as when/what pops up.  Be assured that F305 is a good cabin.  There are just "better" ones.  

Thanks for your feedback and tips. 

23 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Are you sure that the elevators were out of service? In each lobby the outer bank of elevators are on a different call button from the center bank of elevators. Many people are not aware of that and get confused by that.

When we were on the Grand, I knew when an elevator was out of service. There was a sign on it. Mostly the front elevators were the problem.

Also  years ago I definitely knew when an elevator didn't work properly. In a elevator by myself, doors didn't open when it got to my floor (10), Elevator started shaking really badly and was just stopped, then all of a sudden it shot up to 15 and door opened. After that the elevator was taken out of service.

23 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for your feedback and tips. 

You're welcome, my pleasure.  I think these cabins are the best in the ENTIRE fleet...and, by nature, I am a very sharing person.  Just as long as we are not on the same cruise fighting over the same cabin.

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You're welcome, my pleasure.  I think these cabins are the best in the ENTIRE fleet...and, by nature, I am a very sharing person.  Just as long as we are not on the same cruise fighting over the same cabin.

Well I sail Oct 4th.  after that I will be in WS on Enchanted

5 hours ago, brisalta said:

Very much sure they were out of service on my cruise.  I know about larger bank on one side and two on the other being on different call buttons.  They had a bunch during the cruise that never moved between decks once.

2 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

Very much sure they were out of service on my cruise.  I know about larger bank on one side and two on the other being on different call buttons.  They had a bunch during the cruise that never moved between decks once.

I am supposed to believe someone with the handle mk-ultra ? 😉

Is that handle some sort of confession?

Just now, brisalta said:

I am supposed to believe someone with the handle mk-ultra ? 😉

Is that handle some sort of confession?

Yay!  Someone got the reference 🙂  Doesn't happen often.

• Haha 1