Check-in Questions

Gma&Gpa

First of all, I'm aware that we can't check in as early as we used to.  Our October cruise has a late September date.  Previously, I've always cruised with my DH, and each room traveling with us was about the same situation.  However this year, DH cannot go, so I have a dear friend going as my roommate.  She lives a couple states away and one of the other rooms is in a similar situation.  What all information do we need to do to check-in?  Because we are all hoping to get the same or at least close check in times, since we are traveling together, we want to be as prepared as possible.  Two rooms are platinum, two are not - so that makes it even more difficult, as our check in will be 2 days earlier.   I'm sort of assuming I would need the info to set up the account for my roommate.  and that info regarding how we are getting there (flying or not).  Most of us are driving, two will be flying in.  What else do I need?  Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated.

If you have their booking numbers added to your cruise manager, you should be able to do the check-in process for everyone, if you have all their info. I have heard that you can skip some parts & go back to it later, in order to get the check-in spots reserved. 

I do have all their booking numbers, etc.  as I am the "unofficial" cruise director" of our group.  I have them all listed on my site.  But I wasn't sure how much info I need to enter for each one.  Some of them are really good at jumping in and doing things (and some are not LOL), but I'm retired and I have a lot more time to do it so I have NO problem with doing it at midnight.  I just want to be prepared.

1 hour ago, Gma&Gpa said:

First of all, I'm aware that we can't check in as early as we used to.  Our October cruise has a late September date.  Previously, I've always cruised with my DH, and each room traveling with us was about the same situation.  However this year, DH cannot go, so I have a dear friend going as my roommate.  She lives a couple states away and one of the other rooms is in a similar situation.  What all information do we need to do to check-in?  Because we are all hoping to get the same or at least close check in times, since we are traveling together, we want to be as prepared as possible.  Two rooms are platinum, two are not - so that makes it even more difficult, as our check in will be 2 days earlier.   I'm sort of assuming I would need the info to set up the account for my roommate.  and that info regarding how we are getting there (flying or not).  Most of us are driving, two will be flying in.  What else do I need?  Any guidance you can give me would be much appreciated.

As for the check in times, if you all want to board together the platinums will have to sacrifice their early boarding. The pre virus check in times were available at midnight. Be ready then and grab all the times you need. 

1 hour ago, Gma&Gpa said:

I do have all their booking numbers, etc.  as I am the "unofficial" cruise director" of our group.  I have them all listed on my site.  But I wasn't sure how much info I need to enter for each one.  Some of them are really good at jumping in and doing things (and some are not LOL), but I'm retired and I have a lot more time to do it so I have NO problem with doing it at midnight.  I just want to be prepared.

Unless you can skip on by it asks who will be financially responsible and you put in their credit card number. You dont want to take financial responsibility for all the cabins to do them together.

Hopefully you can skip on by, not just save to go back later.

Also need passport numbers. And dates on passports.

41 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Unless you can skip on by it asks who will be financially responsible and you put in their credit card number. You dont want to take financial responsibility for all the cabins to do them together.

Hopefully you can skip on by, not just save to go back later.

Also need passport numbers. And dates on passports.

I read on another message board that you do not need to put in credit card info when choosing a check-in time.  Hope that is true!

Passport Info - I completely forgot that we need all of that.  Thanks for that reminder.  Another question then, if the Platinums go ahead and book for, say, 11;00 - and then the others cannot, I guess the platinums can just wait and go a little later when the others have THEIR time?  or is that a no-no?

Why not just hang out somewhere and all check in together at 2 or 3PM.

I mean I understand the desire to board ASAP and/or to take advantage of Platinum benefits but you have a group of people at different levels of priority and cruising experience. The easiest is to board together late in the day.

I learned in the military that the fastest the convoy can go is at the speed of the slowest vehicle. This philosophy works in various aspects in life.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mollygirl said:

I read on another message board that you do not need to put in credit card info when choosing a check-in time.  Hope that is true!

You can select credit card or cash in the online check in. If you're unsure what you will be using you can select cash then change it at the port if needed. In the past i put in credit info to bypass that line. I just added cash at the kiosk whenever I could. I don't know if that will be an option anymore

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Why not just hang out somewhere and all check in together at 2 or 3PM.

I mean I understand the desire to board ASAP and/or to take advantage of Platinum benefits but you have a group of people at different levels of priority and cruising experience. The easiest is to board together late in the day.

I learned in the military that the fastest the convoy can go is at the speed of the slowest vehicle. This philosophy works in various aspects in life.

My DH really liked your military example. He said the tail party tells the lead group how slow they need to be. Also said same with his motorcycle group. If bikes are falling behind, slow down. 

• Like 1

WE may have to go a little later.  It's not really a "I'm platinum and I want to be on early" - it's more of "I love being on the ships and can't wait to be there."   The biggest issue we have is that since some are flying and some driving, we can't fit all of us and all of the luggage in the vehicles to spend time in the area.  I'm pretty sure we can't stay at the hotel that long.  But we may have to see what we can work out along those lines. Thanks for all the input

15 hours ago, Gma&Gpa said:

Passport Info - I completely forgot that we need all of that.  Thanks for that reminder.  Another question then, if the Platinums go ahead and book for, say, 11;00 - and then the others cannot, I guess the platinums can just wait and go a little later when the others have THEIR time?  or is that a no-no?

On John Heald's facebook page he did request specifically that all passengers abide by their time and try to be there when they have booked.  If people start showing up later than scheduled, that means it creates a bigger traffic jam at that time - it also means you just wasted an earlier booking time someone else could have used.

The best thing to do is what we are doing.  We are Diamond and even though I may choose a time 2 days before the other 2 rooms of family members, I am just going to wait until it opens for them and do all 3 at the same time to be sure we all can arrive together.

• Like 4

WE may have to go a little later.  It's not really a "I'm platinum and I want to be on early" - it's more of "I love being on the ships and can't wait to be there."   The biggest issue we have is that since some are flying and some driving, we can't fit all of us and all of the luggage in the vehicles to spend time in the area.  I'm pretty sure we can't stay at the hotel that long.  But we may have to see what we can work out along those lines. Thanks for all the input and we may very well go with what you have suggested WemJam

I hope I’m not being obtuse here…. Last time we cruised was Oct. 2019. Do I have to wait to input all of our passport, flight credit card etc information now ? I went to do it today for our Oct 2021 cruise and it’s not there ! 
Thank you in advance. I have read 5 pages of posts looking for this information !

On 7/10/2021 at 9:50 PM, Gma&Gpa said:

...  Another question then, if the Platinums go ahead and book for, say, 11;00 - and then the others cannot, I guess the platinums can just wait and go a little later when the others have THEIR time?  or is that a no-no?

My question also - If I grab an early spot but, for whatever reason, end up arriving at the port an hour or two later (traffic/wreck/etc) .... can we board with whatever group is boarding at that time?

Tom

You can check in later than your chosen time slot, but not before. I chose a time in the middle and we were literally on the ship within 20 minutes of arriving at the port. When debarking after the cruise, there was a long line of people who showed up way before check in even started. Those are the people who jam it up for the early arrival times. 

Don't worry, the ship won't leave without you as long as you arrive before the final time slot.

• Thanks 1

I have a 3:00-3:30 Check-in time on Mardi Gras next week.  Last boarding is still listed as 3:00.  I guess I have a 60 second window to make it 🙂 (That is a joke).

Of course, the docs also say the latest to drop-off for baggage is 2:00.  I guess they want us to show up once to drop-off the bags and later for check-in.  I will probably just show up at 2:00 and sit in the parking deck if they won't let us check-in...