Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

6 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think you have to take a really hard look at the information that has been shared so far (because that is about all you are going to get) and decide if you are willing to go through what SKY is going through right now...

And Jupiter, who just by virtue of being with the same line, is also affected.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, photogranny said:

Would you be willing to share some of your itinerary, especially accommodations with me?  We have talked about doing this but decided not to but I would like to have the info under my belt in case.

Thank you!  Maybe when you are on shore and able to use regular email?  Let me know!

I did a lot of research on hotels.  My first choice, Hotel Borg, was booked so we chose the Hilton Canopy.  We are spending our first day in Reykjavík and maybe going to Videy Island and then the second day we are going to the Blue Lagoon. Just FYI, if you make a reservation at the Blue Lagoon you can arrange transportation through them that is much less expensive than a taxi or private transfer. 

• Like 2

For future cruisers, let’s keep this thread focused on what is happening on Sky and not let it drift to best hotels, itineraries, etc. All that is great information but a September cruiser may never see it. The General thread is a great place for this discussion. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think you have to take a really hard look at the information that has been shared so far (because that is about all you are going to get) and decide if you are willing to go through what SKY is going through right now. 

There is no sense in trying to second guess what will happen on subsequent cruises. Either you are willing to put up with how things are being handled today or you aren't-- and if you aren't, then don't go.

We are on the July 10 Viking Sky cruise and would do this cruise again just as it is in a New York Minute!  It has had some missed opportunities but I believe everyone on board except maybe the passenger that tested positive has had a wondetful cruise. Viking and its crew has done their best to make the best onan unfortnate situation and in my opinion has succeeded.  Is there anyone on this cruise that disagrees??

• Like 3

Just an update at 3:48pm.   We seem to be geopostioned off of Reykjavik so I am presuming that discussions to allow us to go ashore today were unsuccessful. Not sure if I posted or not but at his noon announcement he stated that we had been cleared to disembark tomorrow S planned and the July 17 cruise would commence. 

Will post more as we find out. Now off to the final lecture. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, minka34 said:

Sorry for dble posts... doing this on my phone since the wifi is out on board right now... I posted this in another thread; update on the ambulance:

Just read on another site, and apparently confirmed by a crew member, that the ambulance outside of Jupiter this morning was for a passenger that slipped, fell, and broke a hip. Bummer for that person, what a sad thing to have happen, especially on vacation. 

The gentleman has returned to the ship and was ambulatory. I'm sure it's an enormous relief to him and his wife to be back on board. They may have been the only passengers allowed on shore in Akureyri but that's not the best way for sure. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Should have waited.  Pilot boarded at 3:56pm so looks like we are headed to the pier. 

Hopefully they are going to allow you to disembark and see some of the city.   Let us know what happens when you get to the pier.  Thank you so much Clay for all the updates.  Yours is the stuff that I want to see posted on here, not all the debates.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

We are on the July 10 Viking Sky cruise and would do this cruise again just as it is in a New York Minute!  It has had some missed opportunities but I believe everyone on board except maybe the passenger that tested positive has had a wondetful cruise. Viking and its crew has done their best to make the best onan unfortnate situation and in my opinion has succeeded.  Is there anyone on this cruise that disagrees??

We are also onboard and AGREE 110%,!!  The crew is outstanding and have gone above and beyond to make our cruise wonderful.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

I agree with you but asking people not do do something here is useless. It just eggs them.

I suggest that the more people who report posts as offensive or off-topic or hijacking or "member-directed," the more chance of ending the diversions.

Report a post  by clicking on the three dots beside the post #. 

Thank you.   Done!!!  And I will continue to report as long as they keep coming.

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

I am with you just 14 days behind! At least I can cancel today (but not tomorrow). 

We were supposed to be in your cruise.  But I canceled.  I felt disappointed, even a little frustrated.  But I also felt relieved.  It's a mixed feeling.  

My opinion after learning what happened on the Sky and how the situation is dealt with.  I think it depends on how much you enjoy the experience onboard.  Do you think you'll have a good time without going onshore?  We know the Viking ship is gorgeous, the crew is great, food is delicious.  People on the Sky now get a 50% FCV and open bar.  For people (obviously not the poor person tested positive) who really enjoy the ship and don't mind missing ports, this isn't really a horrible conclusion to their trips.  But this happened on Day 5.  So the passengers got some sight seeing done in the first half of their journey.  It's also understandable for people who prefer seeing Iceland rather than being on a floating hotel to feel disappointed, particularly people who had long flight getting there.

No one knows whether Iceland local officials will change course in the subsequent sailings.  Will they allow people who tested negative to go onshore (similar to Bermuda) and continue the cruise? Will they keep the current practice and isolate the entire ship?  

Viking tests all passengers daily.  Positive cases will turn up.  It's like rolling the dice.  

Edited by sleepybobo
  • Like 7

It's not us since we were both in the fitness center... then DH was done, went up, no prob. I went up 15min later and the metal door was shut with the quarantine sign.  Thought I might be stuck in my sweaty workout clothes for a long time!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, minka34 said:

It's not us since we were both in the fitness center... then DH was done, went up, no prob. I went up 15min later and the metal door was shut with the quarantine sign.  Thought I might be stuck in my sweaty workout clothes for a long time!

So is the door open now? Or just part of the floor?

9 minutes ago, minka34 said:

They didn't let me look around, but it was only one side, and the closed themetal door behind me. An alarm was sounding while it was open. 3rd floor, starboard near the bow.

We just got an update from captain about potential positive on Jupiter as Minka was saying.  Confirmation in progress. 

OK Doc who loves to travel, What is going on?  Why are cruisers testing positive day 3 or so of the cruise?  If everyone tested negative where are the spreaders...crew, bus drivers, guides,  passengers?  Been following Covid for year plus and have not heard anything like this reported.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:33 AM, Envelope21 said:

We are also on the July 17th sailing and will be heading to the Orlando airport in about an hour. From there we change planes in Boston and arrive in Reykjavik tomorrow morning on Delta. Probably around the same time as you. I guess we shall see what happens!

Please keep us posted. We are doing the same exact fllight from MCO late August and are a little anxious at this point.