Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

AND NOW ...   KUDOS to all those reporters for "Cruise Critic" who are onboard the Sky.  Thank you for the honest assessment of the situation and information. 

It is helpful to us, Aug 3 cruisers, to hear what is going on as knowledge that we might  need in a few weeks.  Speculation while in the travel mode and in other countries is never good as we US-ers use our own concept of what should/could/would happen does not always match the worlds!

This is our first trip on Viking and I am looking forward to it and more.  It is nice to be with a class act company, not that we have not been before, but to hear the respect of the people onboard is good.

Hopefully, those who want to stay and others who might decide to stay will all work out.  Stay safe!

Peace...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Liz55 said:

This is a really important question. I think quite a few people are doing this...I know we are!  We would have some real shuffling to do if we can’t stay. 

Would you be willing to share some of your itinerary, especially accommodations with me?  We have talked about doing this but decided not to but I would like to have the info under my belt in case.

Thank you!  Maybe when you are on shore and able to use regular email?  Let me know!

6 minutes ago, photogranny said:

AND NOW ...   KUDOS to all those reporters for "Cruise Critic" who are onboard the Sky.  Thank you for the honest assessment of the situation and information. 

It is helpful to us, Aug 3 cruisers, to hear what is going on as knowledge that we might  need in a few weeks.  Speculation while in the travel mode and in other countries is never good as we US-ers use our own concept of what should/could/would happen does not always match the worlds!

This is our first trip on Viking and I am looking forward to it and more.  It is nice to be with a class act company, not that we have not been before, but to hear the respect of the people onboard is good.

Hopefully, those who want to stay and others who might decide to stay will all work out.  Stay safe!

Peace...

I think I'm on your cruise. Want to join the Roll Call?  It's not all that active because of the other threads going on.  But you'll at least get to find out who you might be cruising with, even if you never meet them!

I know I will get flamed for this – but I’m in the court of – you cannot prevent the inevitable.   By all accounts, Viking and all its passengers did a really great job at “creating a bubble” within their cruise, YET with the daily testing, a positive test occurred.  I believe this is going to be the case more times than not when you test every single day.   If you are allowed to fly into a country and not be tested if you are fully vaccinated, you should be allowed to cruise into a country fully vaccinated without being tested.  Most likely there wasn’t any other testing requirements – any testing to fly to Iceland, any testing to stay at your hotel, or eat at the restaurant in town?  However, once you were on the boat, you had to test daily – to me that makes no sense.  Right now, a fully vaccinated person could fly to Iceland and have a land tour without one test.   The country knew this risk and had accepted it when they opened up.   IMO – Viking is being overly cautious, and the country is targeting cruise lines unjustly.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

And don't dare criticize any of his postings, because a major fire store erupts.

In fairness, it's a social media platform for fans of Viking. CruiseCritic is a more objective source of information on Viking cruises in my experience.

No update on whether we will be able to go ashore today when we arrive in Reykjavik in a couple of hours.  I’m hoping so since we didn’t get to explore before embarking.  

At the noon announcement Jenna informed everyone that General Manager Camiel opened his bar tab to all passengers.  So lots of happier passengers (most -maybe all? I’ve spoken with are like us and surprised by the generosity of the future cruise voucher) but I suspect the bartenders and bar waiters aren’t as happy. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mitina said:

In fairness, it's a social media platform for fans of Viking. CruiseCritic is a more objective source of information on Viking cruises in my experience.

Can we please stop with the debate re: this other web site and person involved?   If you like it fine...if you don't like it fine.   I just want to hear from the people that are there right now as to what is actually going on.  This debate needs to be taken somewhere else as I don't care one way or the other about this alternate site.  Also the debate over what should have happened with US travelers going on Viking and whether testing should or should not be continued with Viking.....is irrevelant.  That is Viking's policy and we should follow it or just not go.  Please people stay on track here and stop going off on these tangents.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

No update on whether we will be able to go ashore today when we arrive in Reykjavik in a couple of hours.  I’m hoping so since we didn’t get to explore before embarking.  

At the noon announcement Jenna informed everyone that General Manager Camiel opened his bar tab to all passengers.  So lots of happier passengers (most -maybe all? I’ve spoken with are like us and surprised by the generosity of the future cruise voucher) but I suspect the bartenders and bar waiters aren’t as happy. 

The problem with the open bar right now is that the ship is rocking in rough seas and as you pass folks on deck it is hard to tell if they are drunk or staggering because of the seas😀

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

The problem with the open bar right now is that the ship is rocking in rough seas and as you pass folks on deck it is hard to tell if they are drunk or staggering because of the seas😀

I heard someone say that they hoped it would make everyone walk better!  I also joked that I had already paid $20 for the Silver Spirits package and I wanted my money back. Camiel pointed out it was only $19.95 and suggested I have one of the premium beverages that wasn’t on the package. 😂

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, kleibo said:

I know I will get flamed for this – but I’m in the court of – you cannot prevent the inevitable.   By all accounts, Viking and all its passengers did a really great job at “creating a bubble” within their cruise, YET with the daily testing, a positive test occurred.  I believe this is going to be the case more times than not when you test every single day.   If you are allowed to fly into a country and not be tested if you are fully vaccinated, you should be allowed to cruise into a country fully vaccinated without being tested.  Most likely there wasn’t any other testing requirements – any testing to fly to Iceland, any testing to stay at your hotel, or eat at the restaurant in town?  However, once you were on the boat, you had to test daily – to me that makes no sense.  Right now, a fully vaccinated person could fly to Iceland and have a land tour without one test.   The country knew this risk and had accepted it when they opened up.   IMO – Viking is being overly cautious, and the country is targeting cruise lines unjustly.

so lets keep blinders on 

2 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

so lets keep blinders on 

Of course, only problem is getting your negative COVID test to get home to the USA. That would blow up the Iceland contract tracing system for everywhere you had been. Iceland has already seen several + COVID tests for potential departing passengers.

This was a potential risk we discussed before booking this cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philw1776 said:

Quit casting unfounded aspersions to people whom you do not know.

Thank you! Thought I was the only one who was amazed at this downright viciousness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitina said:

Good assessment. On that page the prevailing theme is the Admin & Viking are never wrong and we should just trust them. I prefer to do my own research and glean lots of helpful information on Cruise Critic. And, let’s not forget Viking is a profit making business first and foremost. Any negative experiences with them seem to get explained away or dismissed on that page……

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Camden lady said:

Can we please stop with the debate re: this other web site and person involved?   If you like it fine...if you don't like it fine.

I agree with you but asking people not do do something here is useless. It just eggs them.

I suggest that the more people who report posts as offensive or off-topic or hijacking or "member-directed," the more chance of ending the diversions.

Report a post  by clicking on the three dots beside the post #. 

2 minutes ago, Sheila W. said:

I just want to know what is happening with the July 10 cruise so I might anticipate potential issues with the July 17 one. . .for which I depart Dulles for Iceland in a few hours. Thank you.

I am with you just 14 days behind! At least I can cancel today (but not tomorrow). 

Edited by NeilP57

Let me encourage everyone to think of others during these difficult times.  We are guests in the country of Iceland.  Yes, this PCR COVID test is a 'real' positive. It was repeated, so not a result of cross-contamination, false positive, etc. When looking at the  state of origin of the passengers, it appears that over 50% of the ship's population is from states where the Delta variant accounts for the majority of the current COVID infections.  This mutant variant is much more contagious than the original virus!  Also, look at the other demographic of the passengers - mostly over 60, and based on the epidemiology of this age group, up to 15 to 20% will have a decreased response to their vaccination.  Even with those in this age group, the Antibody titer can decrease to low levels by 6 months after the vaccination where it is possible to become infected with the Delta variant upon close contact.  Good news...the vaccination will prevent major disease (hospitalization, organ failure, or death).  Bad news, you CAN easily infect others around you as this is easily spread via respiratory droplets, even with talking.  Therefore your COVID test may be +, preventing your re-entry into the USA by the end of the cruise!  Worse, you could infect one of the Icelandic folks, and then this could be passed on to their children not currently eligible for the vaccine.  They could end up being quite ill - even needing a 'double lung transplant' or 'kidney transplant' as a result of the infection's damage. (at a cost of $1 million each).   It becomes clear why the Iceland authorities are concerned. This country may not have the infrastructure to handle all of these potential consequences of our behavior?   So again, let me encourage everyone to use the techniques 'that work' based on scientific evidence - masking and social distancing when not outdoors.  This is especially true for the airports, & flight to REK as this long plane voyage can be risky when not wearing a mask. It takes from 3-5 days from acquiring the virus until it shows up as a positive COVID PCR.  By day 10, the viral shedding ceases, and the patient is no longer infectious to others.  Thanks for your consideration of others.

• Like 22

18 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

I am with you just 15 days behind! At least I can cancel today (but not tomorrow). 

I think you have to take a really hard look at the information that has been shared so far (because that is about all you are going to get) and decide if you are willing to go through what SKY is going through right now. 

There is no sense in trying to second guess what will happen on subsequent cruises. Either you are willing to put up with how things are being handled today or you aren't-- and if you aren't, then don't go.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 12