Covid Positive aboard Viking Sky 7/14/22

Clay Clayton

This event has got me thinking about the Spirits Package.  If there's a chance that I'll spend most of the cruise on board, I don't want to do it sober.  When life gives me lemons, I make lemon drop martinis.  (I apologize for making light of your predicament.)

• Like 14
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, austinetc said:

This event has got me thinking about the Spirits Package.  If there's a chance that I'll spend most of the cruise on board, I don't want to do it sober.  When life gives me lemons, I make lemon drop martinis.  (I apologize for making light of your predicament.)

I'd like to think that if you are stuck on board, Viking would give you a discounted spirits package. Keep us sedated, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

5pm

Captain just made an announcement that the Coastguard requires us to return directly to Reykjavik. He said shore excursions would be refunded and Viking was determining how to compensate us for the disruption. He stopped abruptly and said thank you. And there was not a follow on by Jenna. It ran through my head that he stopped so quickly as the phone rang with either Mr Hagen or the Iceland government with more information.   Stay tuned. 

You are a rock star, Clay Clayton.  I really appreciate all of  your sensible and fact-filled posts.  I would like to meet you IRL and buy you a drink someday!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KarNog said:

I'd like to think that if you are stuck on board, Viking would give you a discounted spirits package. Keep us sedated, right?

Discounted Silver Spirits Package? How about Open Bar!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A BIG THANKS to Clay for keeping everyone informed.  We are on the Sept 7th sail..  According to the Cruise with Confidence we can cancel up to 14 days prior and get a full FCC to be used up to 2 years later. So I'll just watch and see what happens.  I'm sorry your cruise got disrupted. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sorry that everyone on the current cruise is having this ordeal! Currently heading to Iceland for the July 17 cruise and sitting in IAD waiting for the Icelandair counter open at 17:00. Read through the thread and read how there would be a 100% penalty if we cancelled now. Thinking positive we will continue on to KEF. Hopefully some type of determination will be made in the next 36 hours before we are due to board. If the cruise sails, we sail too! If the cruise cancels, we will find a way to fill the time until picking up our rental car on the 24th.

• Like 6

So I don't want to sound negative, because I think Viking does a wonderful job, and that Viking passengers are wonderful.  I'm also experienced enough to know that not all cruises go 100% to plan.  I think it's generous that Viking's actually going to give something to people for missing half the cruise.  Not all cruise lines would do that, especially while cruising in such changing/danger-filled times as these. But anyway, I'm curious as to what a full day of activities on Viking looks like.  I mean, it's not exactly the most lively, activity-packed cruise line I can think of!  And while the musicians with string instruments have their fans, I'm not one of them.  (I'm not cultured enough, I'm afraid.) What is Viking doing to fill up the days, besides Open Bar or whatever?  And is there any nice scenery to look at, or are you way out to sea with little to view except endless water (and almost endless light)?  Do you ever see a lighthouse, or another ship?  Birds or creatures?

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

5 minutes ago, commencemilo said:

A BIG THANKS to Clay for keeping everyone informed.  We are on the Sept 7th sail..  According to the Cruise with Confidence we can cancel up to 14 days prior and get a full FCC to be used up to 2 years later. So I'll just watch and see what happens.  I'm sorry your cruise got disrupted. 

I echo the huge thanks to Clay for keeping everyone informed of what is going on.  I know this is a disappointment but at least you got to see some of Iceland and travel.  So sorry your adventure was cut short and you probably still don't know how all of this is going to end up.  THANK YOU CLAY!!!!   You have been a wealth of information and it is greatly appreciated.   Enjoy your sea days and safe travels home.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Heartgrove said:

Sorry that everyone on the current cruise is having this ordeal! Currently heading to Iceland for the July 17 cruise and sitting in IAD waiting for the Icelandair counter open at 17:00. Read through the thread and read how there would be a 100% penalty if we cancelled now. Thinking positive we will continue on to KEF. Hopefully some type of determination will be made in the next 36 hours before we are due to board. If the cruise sails, we sail too! If the cruise cancels, we will find a way to fill the time until picking up our rental car on the 24th.

You can always do the Ring Road land tour!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

So I don't want to be negative, because I think Viking does a wonderful job, and I think Viking passengers are wonderful too, and I'm experienced to know that not all cruises go 100% to plan.  I also think it's generous that Viking's actually going to give something to people for missing half the cruise.  Not all cruise lines would do that, especially while cruise in such changing/danger-filled times as these. But anyway, I'm curious as to what a full day of activities on Viking looks like.  I mean, it's not exactly the most lively, activity-packed cruise line I can think of!  And while the musicians with string instruments have their fans, I'm not one of them.  (I'm not cultured enough, I'm afraid.) What is Viking doing to fill up the days, besides Open Bar or whatever?  And is there any nice scenery to look at, or are you way out to sea with little to view except endless water (and almost endless light)?  Do you ever see a lighthouse, or another ship?  Birds or creatures?

I agree with you; the entire ship was shut down at midnight (and it was bright as day outside). Thank goodness the house band in Torshavn was fantastic or there would have been no entertainment after 9pm

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

I agree with you; the entire ship was shut down at midnight (and it was bright as day outside). Thank goodness the house band in Torshavn was fantastic or there would have been no entertainment after 9pm

sorry, mistake

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

18 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

And is there any nice scenery to look at, or are you way out to sea with little to view except endless water (and almost endless light)?  Do you ever see a lighthouse, or another ship?  Birds or creatures?

We were on last week.  While underway,  lots of scenery.    cagillion birds and on our last night sailing to Reykjavik saw a pod of about 20 killer whales was an amazing sight

• Like 9

3 hours ago, kleibo said:

Cruise insurance?  I know at least one cruise line offers - "cancel for any reason" and get 75% back in future cruise credit  - that's an option with AARP insurance as well.  I have 3 cruises booked on three lines with the first one in October - I think insurance is definitely needed for any cruise now. 

I hope your cruise goes smoothly.

Agree with you 100 per cent.  In this day and age can't afford to travel without it.  My Medicare doesn't cover outside USA.  Neither does my supplemental.

6 hours ago, firefox33 said:

This development is going to put all remaining Iceland cruises in jeopardy!

I am on the 8/3 Jupiter sailing and I am paying attention to what happens with Sky. I have until Monday to cancel and if Sky is forced to go into quarantine for 14 days (I’m not saying that that will happen) i’m not sure that I want to risk the same fate if someone tests positive for Covid on my sailing. 

17 minutes ago, patchicago said:

I am on the 8/3 Jupiter sailing and I am paying attention to what happens with Sky. I have until Monday to cancel and if Sky is forced to go into quarantine for 14 days (I’m not saying that that will happen) i’m not sure that I want to risk the same fate if someone tests positive for Covid on my sailing. 

We are on the 7 Aug Sky sailing and like patchicago we are following what happens. Thank you Clay for keeping us informed. I know you were so looking forward to this trip.  We will have to make a decision next week. I am sure there is a lot of anxiety on the ship re what is going to happen next.  It sounds like it is out of Vikings hands at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the challenge is that the person tested + while the cruise was in very small villages and therefore Viking couldn’t follow their own protocol as is outlined in the FAQs Which says that the person is isolated and the transferred at the earliest possible opportunity to an appropriate quarantine facility ashore.

Problem was there was no appropriate facility in these very small villages. I’m not sure that Viking or Iceland even contemplated this scenario. 

it will be interesting to see how this all gets resolved.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about the Sky July 10 Covid predicament. If everyone aboard is fully vaccinated, I'm puzzled by this “vaccine breakthrough case” which is considered by the CDC to affect only a small percentage. Sounds like someone was not fully vaccinated. This has now put others on the ship in a precarious position, as well as those of us who have already left or are leaving tomorrow for the July 17 departure. When I talked to our travel agent, she did not know about this. She called her Viking contact who told her decisions were being made minute to minute, and that the July 17 sailing was set to go. No explanation how. So, if you are aboard, please keep posting factual updates. Thanks so much!

1 minute ago, ValarieDennis said:

I think the challenge is that the person tested + while the cruise was in very small villages and therefore Viking couldn’t follow their own protocol as is outlined in the FAQs Which says that the person is isolated and the transferred at the earliest possible opportunity to an appropriate quarantine facility ashore.

Problem was there was no appropriate facility in these very small villages. I’m not sure that Viking or Iceland even contemplated this scenario. 

it will be interesting to see how this all gets resolved.

Well, of course both parties should have anticipated that a positive case probably would show up mid- cruise assuming it takes a few days for the virus to show itself.  There is plenty of blame to go around.  From the Viking passenger point of view, most of us had the impression that the infected would be quarantined and the cruise would go on.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  Perhaps both sides were talking past each other and the customers are the ones suffering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eldercruser1 said:

Well, of course both parties should have anticipated that a positive case probably would show up mid- cruise assuming it takes a few days for the virus to show itself.  There is plenty of blame to go around.  From the Viking passenger point of view, most of us had the impression that the infected would be quarantined and the cruise would go on.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  Perhaps both sides were talking past each other and the customers are the ones suffering.

Although, I just saw from one of the press traveling on this sailing that the passengers are being handsomely rewarded.

Just now, ValarieDennis said:

Although, I just saw from one of the press traveling on this sailing that the passengers are being handsomely rewarded.

And what is in store for those scheduled to board Saturday?  So far "Crickets" from Viking.