Suite Tub on Celebrity Edge

Wildrose56

I was speaking with Celebrity today as the price of our cabin had gone down and I was asking if I could have OBC for the difference.  The Celebrity agent happily refunded the money ( we were still a few days out from final payment) but he also offered me a fairly good deal on upgrading to a suite.  I will be travelling with my 97 year old mother and I see the suites have a bath/shower combo. Do any of you know how high of step it is into/out of the tub?  My mother is fairly mobile, but has had knee replacement and can't step very high.  I would prefer not to have a handicapped room, as I am not a fan of roll in showers. Any thoughts?

I have sailed on the Edge in a Sky Suite, and the tub was a pretty big step to get in. I would NOT have my Mom climb in!! However, as I recall, the shower was a separate entity, and she would be able to step into that.

From our experience on the Edge, I do believe the tub would be a bit much for your mother but the shower would not be a problem.  It is separate.   I also think you could ask for a shower chair/bench be brought in if needed.  

Edited by NCHPcruiser

The key to answering your question is to determine what type of suite you are thinking of booking into.  If it's a sky suite, you have to step down into the shower.  It looks to me to be about a 4 inch "step-down" and then a 4 inch "step back up" after you are finished your shower.  I do not have very much mobility in my knees and I had no problem with the sky suite shower set-up on Edge.  Some of the "higher end" suites have a tub/shower combination which would require a pretty big step up over the edge of the tub to take a shower while standing in the tub..  And some of the even higher end suites have a separate tub and then a walk-in shower.  So the correct answer really depends on which suite class you are thinking of upgrading to.

Edited by jcpc

I was going to post a photo but @bigbenboys beat me to it.  The step is somewhat obscured by the both mat in this picture but it was not unusually high.

I took a video of the room so I plucked another view of the tub step from that.   As you can see they have added glass doors to the showers now.  I'd say the step is about 12"

image.thumb.png.6dc25579a1b47c7e1f5a580a9e7aff5d.png

I think this step down tub shower in the sky suite would be even more of a challenge than a traditional tun shower that are in most houses and hotels. Getting out would be a major challenge for me. Even more than the celebrity suite on M class ships.

4 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I think this step down tub shower in the sky suite would be even more of a challenge than a traditional tun shower that are in most houses and hotels. Getting out would be a major challenge for me. Even more than the celebrity suite on M class ships.

Sailed on the Edge in a Sky suite a few times and never had issues getting in or out to shower.  I don’t have the best knees, but no problems.  Hope this helps.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

Yes we just booked a hdcp room for the oct 2 sailing. My wife has problems with the tub/shower setups on all X ships. Since back surgery I now qualify for hdcp rooms so in this case we chose the room. They have several and some are open, it depends on cruise. 

11 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The tub in the sky suite is not a step down.   I agree the first picture may make it look like that given the angle of the shot.  I have not seen the Celebrity suite on the Edge but the tub in the sky suite was not narrow.  The size of it, length and width was much like that of the 5' walk in shower I have at home.  The step over is lower than the standard tub I have at home as well.