Anybody else tired of the 70's disco party?

We did a club in London that had a great fun event.

They called it Massaoke.  Mass karaoke.  

They had a live band.  Everyone got up and danced, and they projected the lyrics on the 4 walls.  And everyone sang along.  It didn't matter how poorly you sang when hundreds were singing at the same time.

They played mainly 80s tunes.  But the concept would apply to any period of music, at least for songs with lyrics. 🙂

I would support other eras of music also.  Except, for me, no rap or hip hop.  Just not into it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I would not go to see The Village people for all the Quatloos in the treasury.

I sense you don't want to see them on a boat...

but would you see them with a goat?

Would you see them in the air?

While sitting in your favorite chair?

Surely you don't want to see them anywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I was a member of the Disco Destruction Team hosted by a local rock station back in the 70's. Disco tunes were mostly just dance beats with heavy bass but in no way real music.

Are you talking Disco Demolition at Comisky Park?

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was never a fan of Black Sabbath either.

I love Ozzie and Black Sabbath, but I wouldn't call it "dance music" even with a gun to my head. 🤣

• Like 1

The 70's? theme has been done on every cruise line since the 80's. The 80's had its share of bad clothing and bad hair and New Wave music. Why not move it along. Why are they stuck in the 70's. Truth be told I wouldn't participate in an 80's theme either. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

12 hours ago, sfaaa said:

I was a member of the Disco Destruction Team hosted by a local rock station back in the 70's. Disco tunes were mostly just dance beats with heavy bass but in no way real music.

You are absolutely correct with only few exceptions, the most prominent being the Bee Gees (who even Alice Cooper said he liked, even if he hated liking them).  That said, disco was all about being dance music.  It was all about the club scene and the dance floor (and cocaine and quaaludes).  It wasn't radio rock, even if they played it on the radio (annoying the heck out many, including yours truly).

Just now, crewsweeper said:

Public Enemy? RunDMC?  NWA? Big Daddy Kane? Boogie Down's South Bronx?

Not sure those would be enjoyed by a lot of cruisers.

Hip hop is too current for the cruise lines to be considered a theme. They either need to go back in time 60's 50's which also had its share of bad hair and clothing or they need to move it to the 80's for the next 20 years.  

34 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

You are absolutely correct with only few exceptions, the most prominent being the Bee Gees (who even Alice Cooper said he liked, even if he hated liking them).  That said, disco was all about being dance music.  It was all about the club scene and the dance floor (and cocaine and quaaludes).  It wasn't radio rock, even if they played it on the radio (annoying the heck out many, including yours truly).

The Bee Gees were good before they went disco. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Hip hop is too current for the cruise lines to be considered a theme. They either need to go back in time 60's 50's which also had its share of bad hair and clothing or they need to move it to the 80's for the next 20 years.  

Dad, is that you. Deja vu. 🤣✌️

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Bring back Swing!!!😆🤾‍♀️🤸‍♂️🎷

10 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

Why not? They have everything for you men to enjoy. You can hang out with all the boys.  

Also, you can sail the seven seas.

Edited by neverbeenhere
You'll need to join the Navy, perhaps.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Bring back Swing!!!😆🤾‍♀️🤸‍♂️🎷

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

Nobody is going to Jitterbug in the atrium...not without casualties.  

I'm too old to be throwing my wife over my back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Hated everything disco (but it's a really easy drum beat, 4/4 time).  I kept my long hair (finally was getting long again after returning from Vietnam), never wore angle flight pants, big collared printed disco shirts or platform shoes. 🤢 Crap now I sound like my narrow minded father. He hated everything about the 60's movement. ✌️

The day after I graduated high school I started growing facial hair.I turned down jobs ,really good ones because every company wanted me to shave my beard off.In 1971 when I got the job retraining disabled Vietnam War soldiers I was encouraged to keep my hair long.

I still have my beard but it is white.

2 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I sense you don't want to see them on a boat...

but would you see them with a goat?

Would you see them in the air?

While sitting in your favorite chair?

Surely you don't want to see them anywhere.

Not even on the two cruises I was on that you were on.

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I love Ozzie and Black Sabbath, but I wouldn't call it "dance music" even with a gun to my head. 🤣

Definitely not .How about Steppenwolf ? If you like the band you might want to check out Fried Rice and the White Guys on You Tube.Despite the weird name this band has played in the US and Puerto Rico and in my opinion has a great sound.