Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan excursion recommendations for multigenerational family

basil92008

We are booked on the Sapphire Princess from Whittier to Vancouver July 30, 2022.

My DH and I (early 40s) are going with our 2 kids (ages 11 and 8 then) and my parents (early 70s, in good health, active). Kids are good and can usually handle moderate activities but haven't been tested in different time zones in a long time.

My father and I are huge photo buffs. Could spend the week hunting for scenery and wildlife to photograph. The others...not so much.  No one wants to get on a helicopter or small plane.

My DH wants to kayak at least once. Everything sounds good to my kids right now, I'm not sure how they'll feel 10 days into a trip (we are also doing Denali before the cruise). Price is never NOT a consideration, but we aren't buying souvenirs and have budgeted to take some once-in-a-lifetime excursions.

Skagway - am considering taking the ferry to Haines and doing one of the boating excursions. Kayaking on Chilkat lake vs. Rafting through the eagle preserve (though some reviews said there weren't many eagles) vs. kayaking in the inside passage. Any advice which to pick?

Juneau - would like to see the Mendenhall Glacier but doesn't seem like we need a tour to do this. Same for tram. There are also kayaking or rafting excursions but not sure if those are better than the ones in Skagway or not? Should we do a specific whale watching tour or will we see enough whales from the cruise ship to be bored of them?

Ketchikan - the Bering Sea fisherman's tour seems to get good reviews, but seems pricey for what it is. Fishing sounds fun but not sure what one actually does with the fish afterwards? There are a variety of zodiac/inflatable tours but not sure if that's going to be too much small boating. Looked at taking the ferry to Misty Fjords but didn't seem to get great reviews, and don't want to do the plane after the recent accident.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation!

Since there are 6 of you, my suggestion is to do private excursions. You will receive individualized attention and you can forgo some of the mandated shopping stops that the cruise excursions are infamous for.

For example, Tours by Locals in Ketchikan, has  tours for 6 people for $70pp more or less depending on which you choose for your family. In Skagway there is a tour to a dog camp where kids can play with sled dog pups and there are many photo ops along the way per the description-that one is $925 for all.

I am sure there are other private tour operators that you can find by diligently reading this forum.

Re; Misty Fjords boat trip- I took it and felt it wasn't worth the $ at all being on a large boat with many other people for limited scenic views.

In Skagway I'd contact the local Avis office - Car Rental Skagway | Avis Rent a Car - and see if they have any minivans for your day.  If they do, then I'd consider booking one and driving up into Canada.  It's a very scenic drive, you can stop in Carcross (see the Carcross Desert) then again at Emerald Lake, then consider making the Robinson Roadhouse your turnaround point.  It's a small ghost town out in the middle of nowhere (territorial historical site) with some interesting old buildings and a lot of marmots who will protest your intrusion quite noisily.  The scenery in both directions is terrific.  Map - https://goo.gl/maps/FBdkgwfHexrhEmrj6

• Like 1

Ketchikan - Crab Fishing excursion is an educational adventure as you see how all manner of crabs are fished in the Bering Sea as seen on the TV series, "Deadliest Catch."   Best seat for photos is above the orange life preserver.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-fishing/P5236052-2.jpg

Everyone is allowed to see and touch some of the creatures coming out of the nets which would make the kids thrilled.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-fishing/P5236512-2.jpg

From a photographer's point of view, the feeding of 50 eagles and seeing them swoop down to grab fish just a few yards from the boat is amazing.  I take several thousand high-speed images each time I take this excursion.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5050038.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5236111-2-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/P5236164-2.jpg

• Like 1

If you see a whale from the cruise ship, it will be an extremely rare event as whales usually stick to their normal feeding areas except during their migrations in April and October.. 

Juneau - All whale watching boats in Juneau leave from the same port, Auke Bay, and go to the same spotting locations.  The difference in small and large boats is the comfort level.  Larger boats have real restrooms, snack bars, provide binoculars, and comfortable seating.  Smaller boats have fewer comforts and harder seats.  Avid photographers spend all of their time outside and lean against the railing at the highest point on deck, so boat comforts mean little. 

When a whale is spotted, all of the boat operators will contact each other to race to that location.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/humpback-whales/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-153-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/orcas/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-053-2.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, basil92008 said:

The eagle feeding is on the crab fishing excursion? I didn't see that listed in the description. That's even more appealing then..

Here is a link to what you will experience in addition to the eagles:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan-2/ketchikan-crab-fishing/

Waiting for lunch:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/eagles/p5161818.jpg

Edited by Crew News

Our trip for six we chose to rent minivans in Skagway and Juneau.  Juneau we went to Mendenhall Glacier and hiked out to the waterfall as well as one other short trail.  Then to the Alaska Brewing Co for a wee bit of tasting flights.  In Skagway we drove north on the Yukon Highway into Canada (need passports) and on to Emerald Lake.  Beautiful!  Each offered us freedom and much less expensive than buying any excursions.  Book early as they sell out quickly.

Best seat for the Bering Sea for pictures might be above the orange life preserver (no one sitting up there in your pics) but during both our tours it was kinda raining and everyone that had sat up there ended up standing on the first level. Our favorite seats were first level 2nd or 3rd row middle.

Agree this is a great tour especially with kids over 5 years of age. Book directly...much better to get there early before the ship excursions arrive for the pick of seats.....The dog musher camp booked with Gold Rush Tours is also a favorite.

8 years ago I went with my family to Alaska.  There were 5 of us ranging in age from 13-76. My 13yo had a broken foot and was on crutches, but that didn't slow him down too much and we were still able to do everything on the cruise that we had planned. 

In Juneau, we took the tram to the top of Mt. Roberts and had some lunch up there and checked out the Raptor Rehab Center up there.  Lady Liberty (I think that was her name) was a bald eagle that lived there - rescued, but could never fly again - that we got to see up close and personal.  As we ate lunch, we looked out the window to see several bald eagles just flying by - so cool!

In Skagway, we booked the train up to Canada (Chilkoot Charters or Dyea Dave).  It was a full day, but the scenery was gorgeous even in the rain on the way up.  Once we got to Canada, we then got into a van to go to the Carcross Desert, Emerald Lake and other spots.  Lunch was provided and our driver even offered to drop people off in Skagway to do some shopping if you wanted.  You can book this same tour thru the ship and be able to board the train right there at the pier, but we saved some money and had the van take us to town where we boarded specific cars towards the end of the train that were specifically for our tour company.

In Ketchikan, we just walked around town a little bit before boarding a flightseeing plane to the Misty Fjords National Monument.  We flew with Michelle at Island Wings.  We got some great pictures.  Michelle had some music playing that dovetailed so beautifully with what we were seeing, that my mom and I both had tears in our eyes!  Michelle landed the plane in a cove and we were all able to get out and walk (or crutch in my son's case) around a little. 

If you do decide to book independently, look into getting the Alaska Tour Saver coupon book.  There's another one too that I can't remember the name of.  We were able to use coupons (buy one get one free or half off) for the tram to Mt. Roberts. We also used coupons for the train in Skagway.

Edited by olemissreb

I have taken five “once in a lifetime” trips to Alaska. #6 is planned for next summer. Whale watching is my favorite shore excursion. I do that every time. The raft trip through the eagle preserve was my least favorite tour. The only eagles we saw were one or two that nest right at the launch site. My Mom and I took a private tour from Ketchikan Taxi. The owner/driver took us off the beaten path. There was a fishing tournament that week. He took us to the spot where fishers brought their catches to be weighed. There was a tree chock full of bald eagles 🦅 waiting for the cast offs. We also stopped by a roadside stand that sold jelly from local berries. We bought a few jars and enjoyed a little taste of Alaska every morning for months. 

• Like 2

The best Alaska excursion, IMO, is whatever small boat glacier tour your ship offers in Juneau. This could be into Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm/Endicott depending on your ship's itinerary. 

You will board a sight-seeing boat straight off the big ship, about an hour before it pulls away from the dock. Then your boat races ahead to the chosen glacier to get a closer view than those on the big ship will get. Along the way the boat crew will slow down for any wildlife viewing (whales, seals, eagles, bears, etc.) and tuck into a few coves the big ship can't get into. Get up close to lots and lots of waterfalls, and other dramatic geologic scenery. 

When you get to the glacier, the ship will spend a long amount of time there so everyone can get a good view, and hopefully see some of the glacier calving into the water. The boat I was on said they can't get closer than 1/4 mile for safety reasons. But I think we were a little closer than that.

After that, the boat takes you back to the big ship, which has followed you in from a distance. About 2 miles back in our recent trip. You then tie up to the big ship so you can board back on.

The trip is a long one (~5 hours), and you are stuck on a "small" boat for all that time (which does have bathrooms and a small galley). So possible boredom could set in for young ones. But it is a cool adventure that will absolutely hold their interest at times.

For Skagway: The train should be fun for kids & adults alike. By next year, they should be back to having one-way options again; where you can bike or bus/suv tour the other direction.

Agree with the Crabfisher's Bering Sea excursion in Ketchican. They leave from pretty much the same dock and booking by yourselves will save a lot of money. No concerns about missing the ship because all guests will be on the same boat. We didn't get the eagles because there was construction going on where they usually were but it was still a very interesting excursion. And appeals to a very wide range of ages- something for everyone. 

Juneau we always go whale watching. Mendenhall Glacier has retreated so far that it has lost interest but you do sometimes see bears nearby and there is a pond with a very active beaver taking care of his home. (Her home?) 

Skagway is alway an issue for me- this trip we are going to take the train. We have in the past rented a car and driven up to Emerald Lake;  one time we went with Dyer Dan. There is a mile by mile map and discussion you can buy (couple of dollars)- Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway.  Recommend Howard Blum's Floor of Heaven for an interesting history of the area- the gold rush. At the end of town there is an old cemetery that looks like it should be in a movie- a lot of the people followed in the book are buried there. 

Edited by 5waldos
link

It seems the same price to book the Crabfishing tour via the Princess website vs via the Costco shore excursion website vs via the Alaska Crab Tour website. 

I guess I am kind of leaning towards doing the kayaking my DH wants to do in Skagway via taking the ferry to Haines and either kayaking on the lake or in the ocean. Any opinions on which of those is better?

Maybe do a whale watch in Juneau and then explore the town and take on of the short hikes to the glacier.