Important updates from Celebrity on pre-cruise Covid-19 testing

Turtles06

In looking at Celebrity's Health & Safety FAQ page, I noticed that Celebrity has updated the answer to the question "What Type of COVID-19 Tests are Accepted?" in several important respects. (This new information follows the recent update to the FAQ making it clear that the test must be conducted within three days of sailing, not within 72 hours of embarkation.)  Among other things, Celebrity has now issued guidance regarding the Abbott brand tests (often asked about here on CC) and on telehealth testing at home.  Here's the full text:

"If your sailing requires a pre-cruise test, here are some details about the kind of test you’ll need.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • Telehealth testing at home is only accepted when it meets certain guidelines. See below.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

More on Telehealth Testing

Telehealth self-tests taken at home under supervision must meet these requirements:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • Two tests that meet these parameters are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app, or the Ellume Covid-19 Test with Video Observation Services.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

Abbott tests have become a popular and commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s acceptable.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision.
  •  The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, which is taken at home and not supervised by a medical professional, is NOT accepted.

Where and When to Get Your Test

Most local pharmacy chains offer COVID-19 Testing and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test.

Some additional things to keep in mind when scheduling your test:

• For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than three days before your sail date. How to calculate “three days before”: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. So for example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before. 
  • Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel. 

Providing Your Results On Departure Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your results for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone.

If you receive a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide so we may assist with rescheduling your cruise vacation plans."

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

they're getting there.  They actually changed it again and now specifically mention the Binax now with Emed that's sold online for $35 each:

"Two tests that meet these parameters are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app, or the eMed Covid-19 Test with Video Observation Services."

They have very good shipping (fedex) free which got us ours within 48 hours after we ordered it.  Bringing these with us and hope to save a couple hundred dollars by not having to have the last minute test in town.  For those interested, this is the test they now say they will accept:

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

• Like 1

We had our PCR test administered by Eurofins, which are Celebrity’s (RCG)  preferred  provider.
We were lucky, as there was a testing place just 15 minutes from our home. 

The results took longer than I expected, as they were taken to a lab about 150 miles away and took 38 hours for us to be notified.

24 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

they're getting there.  They actually changed it again and now specifically mention the Binax now with Emed that's sold online for $35 each:

"Two tests that meet these parameters are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app, or the eMed Covid-19 Test with Video Observation Services."

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

I'm looking at this test (via the link provided) and it says the price is $69.99.    Am I missing something about the price being $35?    

3 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

I'm looking at this test (via the link provided) and it says the price is $69.99.    Am I missing something about the price being $35?    

That's for a 2 pack. Presumably you can get a single test kit as well, though I don't see that option from a quick search on their site.

We are on the December 10th Equinox cruise and was wondering? With the Delta variant running rampent and the Lamda variant found in the United States now,people are getting tested more and more.What if when we go the results are delayed because of all the tests being read now.My neice said they were only doing 1 or 2 a day and now have upwards of 10 or more a day and getting worse by the day with testing! By December we might be waiting weeks! I know I'm worring about this but IT COULD HAPPEN! I don't want to be denied boarding because our test results weren't read in those 3 days!
We are vaccinated and waiting for October 15th for our booster!

My employer provides me with 10 non-supervised BinaxNow (Five 2-packs) free of charge per month.

Is there a way to take one of those tests to Abbott, or whoever, and pay a small fee to have the test supervised/proctored in a way that would be acceptable?

Edited by Stockjock

23 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Looks like the outdated pdf file, wrk2cruise.  Proctored self tests are still shown as prohibited in that doc.  Need to stick with web site for current rules.

Edited by canderson
spelchek
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

My employer provides me with 10 non-supervised BinaxNow (Five 2-packs) free of charge per month.

Is there a way to take one of those tests to Abbott, or whoever, and pay a small fee to have the test supervised/proctored in a way that would be acceptable?

Are there any telehealth references in the packs you receive?  Could be that proctoring comes at additional cost per test.

This is a welcome change.  The rules Celebrity had before were difficult to follow and get done in time.  Now there are more choices for testing.  You can do a telehealth test in your hotel room.

Edited by NMTraveller

3 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

We are on the December 10th Equinox cruise and was wondering? With the Delta variant running rampent and the Lamda variant found in the United States now,people are getting tested more and more.What if when we go the results are delayed because of all the tests being read now.My neice said they were only doing 1 or 2 a day and now have upwards of 10 or more a day and getting worse by the day with testing! By December we might be waiting weeks! I know I'm worring about this but IT COULD HAPPEN! I don't want to be denied boarding because our test results weren't read in those 3 days!

Im on the Dec 3 Silhouette and have had the same concerns. So I'm actually going to be booking my time slot at Rapid Test in Ft Lauderdale soon for the 15 min rapid test so that Ive got a confirmed slot.. bc I'm sure testing will still be required.

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Looks like the outdated pdf file, wrk2cruise.  Proctored self tests are still shown as prohibited in that doc.  Need to stick with web site for current rules.

The date on it is today, don't blame me for inconsistent Celebrity communication.  This is on the TA information website.

4 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

I do this testing for a living. There is a certain amount of ramping down that happened when the Covid numbers went down and the then we went from very little Covid testing to dozens of tests a day. Those 2 events have put some strain on the system, and there will be some back ups and delays. I think all that will resolve by late November. 

Everyone should be aware that you shouldn’t just sign up for a test to satisfy cruising or international travel or any non-diagnostic purpose. You need to know what type of test is acceptable and what turnaround time (TAT) is acceptable for your purpose. Then you will have to shop around and find a test that will be correct method and get back to you.

I would recommend as soon as you are past final payment to start finding a couple of providers that give you options, then reconfirm a week or so out that they are still doing testing and have the same TAT… of course everything could change by December.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The date on it is today, don't blame me for inconsistent Celebrity communication.  This is on the TA information website.

Who's blaming YOU?  You must have missed all of those posts where I'm always giving X's IT department a bad time for not staying on the same page with X's many different communications! 🤫  It really is poorly coordinated.

• Like 1