New Bahamas Vax Requirements

ADunk

52 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Amazing that MSC reacted so quickly. I don't see Royal doing anything before tomorrow. And Disney will take a week to do anything.

Truer words were never spoken re: Disney.   They have been TERRIBLE at messaging, making decisions and keeping passengers informed.  I have 2 DCL cruises in September - my husband thinks they will cancel rather than require vaccinations.  I sure hope he is wrong.  Good to see MSC move so quickly and hope Royal does the same.

Not sure how long this message was up but saw this on Royals Vaccine FAQ page:

Some cruises departing Florida will require proof of full vaccination for guests 12 and up at time of boarding. In these instances, it is not a requirement of the State of Florida, but of the governments of one or more destinations on the ship’s itinerary. These governments may, at any time, implement a vaccine requirement of all eligible guests and crew onboard a ship in order for that ship to enter and dock at the country, for the health of their local community. See ports of call that are currently requiring proof of vaccination. 

If you click the link, so far it only lists USVI. I expect to see Bahamas there "soon"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Threedrones said:

Not necessarily, though it would be nice. The last I looked, Florida was not subject to Bahama’s laws. It does present an intriguing problem for Florida though, as well as RCL. Can’t wait to see how it plays out since I’m on Freedom in late September.

I'm not sure you understand the laws involved. The Bahamas will not allow any cruise ship to dock unless it certifies everyone aboard 12 and older is vaccinated, provides the manifest and related info, as well as documents about those with some allowed medical exemption.

This is exactly like what just happened with the US Virgin Islands. And it's exactly like many destinations airlines fly to. Royal Caribbean cannot dock in those ports between September 3 and November 1 without complying. Many of those sailings, with The Bahamas ports, then are not legal within the framework of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and could not sail from a US Port, either.

Cruise Lines will do what they did for sailings include the US Virgin Islands. Only some sailings have even a viable alternative.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kstetser said:

Truer words were never spoken re: Disney.   They have been TERRIBLE at messaging, making decisions and keeping passengers informed.  I have 2 DCL cruises in September - my husband thinks they will cancel rather than require vaccinations.  I sure hope he is wrong.  Good to see MSC move so quickly and hope Royal does the same.

I don't see DCL cancelling, since it woke be cancelling both the Dream and Fantasy sailings and there's no guarantee that Bahamas doesn't extend there requirement. TBH, I think they put down Nov1 so they will use that date to move down to 5+ after the FDA approves in the fall.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

If you are age 12 years and older and currently booked on an MSC cruise departing from PortMiami or Port Canaveral beginning September 3, 2021 through and including sailings of October 31, 2021 and you are not fully vaccinated and will not be fully vaccinated 14 days prior to the cruise, you are eligible for a full refund of any funds currently on your booking. Please contact MSC Cruises at 844-575-3185 if you booked directly with MSC Cruises or contact your Travel Advisor.

Definitely didn't look deep at all. 😉 Thanks. Makes sense they would. Happier about my cruise with em next month. 

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Correct. I doubt it will change anything. All Royal ships are sailing under the "test cruise" rules and not the 95% rules. Royal could still have more than 5% under 12 on their cruises. Based on their Alaska cruises I doubt Royal has any desire to switch so wouldn't expect this to change anything. 

Why would they want to skip the mega money maker that is Coco Cay? If Bahamas says they can't dock, the can't dock. That's a lot of 99$ zip line rides lost. And those floating cabanas don't pay for themselves

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, dswallow said:

I'm not sure you understand the laws involved. The Bahamas will not allow any cruise ship to dock unless it certifies everyone aboard 12 and older is vaccinated, provides the manifest and related info, as well as documents about those with some allowed medical exemption.

This is exactly like what just happened with the US Virgin Islands. And it's exactly like many destinations airlines fly to. Royal Caribbean cannot dock in those ports between September 3 and November 1 without complying. Many of those sailings, with The Bahamas ports, then are not legal within the framework of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, and could not sail from a US Port, either.

Cruise Lines will do what they did for sailings include the US Virgin Islands. Only some sailings have even a viable alternative.

Didn’t the Governor of USVI ask DeSantis to carve out an exception for them. Has the same been done in this case?  I do understand the laws involved and, as I cited, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Just now, Threedrones said:

Didn’t the Governor of USVI ask DeSantis to carve out an exception for them. Has the same been done in this case?  I do understand the laws involved and, as I cited, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Not so far. Someone posted in some thread on cc (could have been on NCL's page) how in the hearing the judge asked the gov lawyer if Carnival and Celebrity were sailing in accordance with the law and the guy said no. Which if true brings up a whole bunch of other questions, but I don't peg desantis as a guy who wants to look "weak" by negotiating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jrapps said:

Amazing that MSC reacted so quickly. I don't see Royal doing anything before tomorrow. And Disney will take a week to do anything.

DCL has a huge handicap in that they are a tiny pebble in the great Disney pond. No way decision on an issue like this get made with detailed analysis from the entire Disney empire. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

DCL has a huge handicap in that they are a tiny pebble in the great Disney pond. No way decision on an issue like this get made with detailed analysis from the entire Disney empire. 

Yes, but they have cruises sailing already, and one leaving 9/3 for their private island in the Bahamas...that is 15 days away. They can't afford to drag their feet too much.

• Like 1

It's probably more they care about not pissing off the families that are likely visiting the parks as well. So taking time to navigate what to do - without Bahamas they aren't sailing. 

Several families didn't realize their kids needed negative tests to board and Disney gave them a refund, got them back to the airport, and then gave them a free cruise to make up for the misunderstanding. An account I heard was it was at least 10 families that it happened to. 

5 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Doesn't matter. A country can do practically anything it wants with restricting who can come in.

So that means practically any Florida cruise needs to be vax only for Royal. There's some Tampa cruises that don't go to Bahamas but I think even most western ones stop at coco. 

Not exactly.  They're basically backing up the cruise lines that require vaccination proof by saying if you're over the age of 12 and you aren't vaccinated, you can't get off the ship.

1 minute ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Not exactly.  They're basically backing up the cruise lines that require vaccination proof by saying if you're over the age of 12 and you aren't vaccinated, you can't get off the ship.

If your over 12, you can't get on the ship, otherwise the ship can't dock.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Its hard for them as they will lose lots of possible cruise ship visits but still got to keep people safe first

There's very few places that will accept cruise ships and right now Royal Caribbean can't go to either private island. 

10 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

No. Like St Thomas, Bahamas will not let a ship enter any of their ports starting Sep 3 unless everyone 12 and older on the ship is vaccinated. So Royal has now changed their policy that you have to be vaccinated if you're over 12. 

• Like 2

It would appear there are just 5 of 69 sailings departing before November 1 and not back in port before September 3 from Florida ports that don't visit a port in The Bahamas between September 3 and November 1.

Odyssey, 10/23/2021, from Ft. Lauderdale, 8 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Serenade, 10/25/2021, from Tampa, 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Serenade, 10/30/2021, from Tampa, 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Symphony, 10/30/2021, from Miami, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean & Perfect Day | Royal Caribbean Cruises
Odyssey, 10/31/2021, from Ft. Lauderdale, 6 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | Royal Caribbean Cruises

There are 9 more sailings from Florida ports that aren't affected by this protocol change because they end before September 3.

Edited by dswallow
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

There's very few places that will accept cruise ships and right now Royal Caribbean can't go to either private island. 

Royal is still going to private islands. They are changing the requirements to board:

We're back sailing in the U.S. and delivering the vacations you and your clients know and love! As we continue sailing, we've been able to offer healthy & safe vacations to guests of all ages. Before we say "Welcome aboard" to booked guests, we'd like to share our health & safety protocols for our sailings departing from U.S. or Bahamas homeports in September 2021. This includes the recent advisement from the Bahamian Government that cruise ships will only be permitted to enter a Bahamian port, including private destinations, if all passengers ages 12 and older are fully vaccinated. While we are ready to deliver an amazing vacation to all of our guests, we do want to share the health and safety protocols so you can better assist your clients. 

If booked guests do not wish to follow these protocols, we are happy to provide them with a refund or move their sailing into the future when circumstances may have evolved. 

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Its hard for them as they will lose lots of possible cruise ship visits but still got to keep people safe first

They won't lose ship visits. The cruise lines will do exactly what should be done...require vaccinations

• Like 18

Let’s see... no Bahamas, no USVI, no Hati, no Mexican Caribbean. Somebody (a lot of somebody’s) in corporate headquarters is having a really bad day. 

Where are you getting they aren't going to go to the Bahamas and the USVI....THEY ARE

Just now, zekekelso said:

Let’s see... no Bahamas, no USVI, no Hati, no Mexican Caribbean. Somebody (a lot of somebody’s) in corporate headquarters is having a really bad day. 

No cruises have changed. There are simply now 64 Royal Caribbean sailings over the 9/3 to 11/1 period from Florida ports that are available only to those age 12 and older who provide proof of vaccination. And there are 5, all starting near the end of October that remain available from Florida ports to those who choose not to provide proof of vaccination, and about 9 more that will have sailed and returned before the new requirement from The Bahamas comes into effect.

• Like 3