Royal App Question

I am sure the answer to my question is buried in a previous thread, however I haven't found it. I am not tech savvy thus I do not get the internet package when cruising. I know that we need the phone app now for many things once on board.  My question is: when I board if I have the WIFI setting on my phone in the on position will it automatically connect to the free Royal App Wifi or will I have to log onto it, and if so where do I get the log in information?

Thanks in advance to you far more wise ones.  

6 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

I am sure the answer to my question is buried in a previous thread, however I haven't found it. I am not tech savvy thus I do not get the internet package when cruising. I know that we need the phone app now for many things once on board.  My question is: when I board if I have the WIFI setting on my phone in the on position will it automatically connect to the free Royal App Wifi or will I have to log onto it, and if so where do I get the log in information?

Thanks in advance to you far more wise ones.  

Just left the 13Aug Ovation cruise.  Downloaded app prior to boarding.  Did as I was told when told to go through the eMuster.  Embarked.  Went through muster on board, finding out doing the eMuster online meant absolutely nothing.  Never used app on board.  I don't cruise in order to spend my time looking at a phone screen.  Made Chops reservation at Chops.  Concierge made all entertainment reservations.  When advised to scan QR code in MDR, simply said we didn't own phones.  Much simpler life.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

My question is: when I board if I have the WIFI setting on my phone in the on position will it automatically connect to the free Royal App Wifi or will I have to log onto it, and if so where do I get the log in information?

No.  Unless you have your phone set to automatically connect to any available wifi (which would be very risky) you will need to connect to the ship's wifi access point when you board.  This should be the same as when you connect to any other unknown access point.  If you had previously saved the Royal wifi on your device it may connect automatically.

Has anyone had a different experience?

• Thanks 1

I will need it to make our show reservations. We aren't in a suite so no Concierge available other than the Diamond Lounge and I have been told she isn't there till 4:00 pm. I am fearful the days and times we want will be filled by the time I could gain her assistance.  I really miss being able to do this ahead of time. You probably figured out I am very OCD and a huge planner. I just like having all my ducks already lined up when I step on board.   Thank you to all of you who have answered me. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Really, really bad advice. 

Yeah,,, you can “minimally get by” without a phone. But you will be handicapped the whole cruise. 

I really, really disagree with your opinion. You can only speak for yourself.  All I said was you don't need the app. You don't. Don't read anything more into it than that. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

I will need it to make our show reservations. We aren't in a suite so no Concierge available other than the Diamond Lounge and I have been told she isn't there till 4:00 pm. I am fearful the days and times we want will be filled by the time I could gain her assistance.  I really miss being able to do this ahead of time. You probably figured out I am very OCD and a huge planner. I just like having all my ducks already lined up when I step on board.   Thank you to all of you who have answered me. I appreciate you taking the time to do it.

All I was saying is you don't need the app. The app can be a valuable tool to some more than others. No argument.  I'm a huge planner also. Do you use a computer at home? Isn't the option of pre booking shows or dining venues thru your cruise planner before you leave? I remember you could do it up four days prior to your sail date. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

All I was saying is you don't need the app. The app can be a valuable tool to some more than others. No argument.  I'm a huge planner also. Do you use a computer at home? Isn't the option of pre booking shows or dining venues thru your cruise planner before you leave? I remember you could do it up four days prior to your sail date. 

Yes I run my own business through my home computer but you can no longer pre-book on the Cruise Planner. You have to do it through the app once on board and dining ( if you are doing more than single nights ) at one of the Specialty restaurants once on board, thus my concerns.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

When we were on the ship in the Bahamas they put a flyer in our room listing all the shows and a phone number to call to make all your arrangements.  Did them all in one call.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, The sea calls my name said:

Yes I run my own business through my home computer but you can no longer pre-book on the Cruise Planner. You have to do it through the app once on board and dining ( if you are doing more than single nights ) at one of the Specialty restaurants once on board, thus my concerns.

Thanks. Must be a recent change (?). But I'm not really that familiar with the whole pre booking process for the larger ships as we've never cruised on them. The biggest class ships we've cruised on is the Freedom, Voyager and Radiance class ships. If you can't book until you're on the ship then you still might not get the times you want considering others will have to do the same. Good luck. 🤞

• Thanks 1

I think if they are still sailing at reduced capacity, you shouldn't have to worry about things filling up. I've read that they've also added additional showtimes to allow for social distancing.

If all else fails you can always ask any teen or young adult for help with connecting to wifi. 🙂  Remember don't let your excitement turn into stress... it's your vacation!

I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

21 hours ago, davekathy said:

I really, really disagree with your opinion. You can only speak for yourself.  All I said was you don't need the app. You don't. Don't read anything more into it than that. 

100% agree. In the span of time the "app" is a new phenomenon.  Yes cool....yes has your calendar is there, you can make reservations, ok and you can communicate with others in your group (if you have a group this is the best function). Check in is now very app dependent so ok. I (just me) don't want to walk around holding my phone or carry something to put it in. (many woman's shorts have shallow pockets...I've left my phone in chairs often). I leave mine off in my cabin. Yes maybe a generational thing. I was in technology all my career so not a fear or inability to use "technology"

So for me I want disengage with internet and the world and actually look at and talk to people, walk around, enjoy the sea and enjoy my cocktails saying hello to everyone. I will be fine and be able to take advantage of everything on the ship. Only thing you do need is that little plastic card. Cheers and let's all go float. 

• Like 1

You don't have to do anything on the app. I checked in on line with no problem. You can make reservations on line with what's available using the cruise planner just like always. I've done it on my cruise for 09/10/21. Any other reservations can be made on board as always.

• Thanks 1