BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

37 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

There is no difference between the link Celebrity provides and going to Optum directly, except for the cruise line logo and perhaps a referral kickback.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

Is it safer to have two tests for each person in the event the first one is positive?  One test per individual seems risky in the event it is ruined or turns positive and one has one day left before the trip.

48 minutes ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Is it safer to have two tests for each person in the event the first one is positive?

If the first one is positive, you can't cruise regardless of the outcome of the second test. You can't pass the health screening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

If the first one is positive, you can't cruise regardless of the outcome of the second test. You can't pass the health screening.

Interestingly enough, the Celebrity protocols state only that you must present a negative test. It is silent on whether a positive test would by itself be "a diagnosis" of COVID. I haven't looked at the questionnaire though.

I bought a 3-pack for 2 people not because I was thinking about a second opinion test, but because occasionally these tests result in inconclusive or spoiled results. I felt like having a spare was worth $30. I might not have had I known that they are shipping tests now that expire as early as December (mine expire in February).

• Like 1

The Celebrity link to Optum says 2 day expedited shipping(and no delivery fee) whereas the Optum site is allow 3 business days for delivery.  I ordered a 2 pack Wednesday thru Celebrity site at 9am, (when they first were made available) and as of 10pm no delivery. I sail Thursday and plan on testing on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, citruscruiser said:

The Celebrity link to Optum says 2 day expedited shipping(and no delivery fee) whereas the Optum site is allow 3 business days for delivery.  I ordered a 2 pack Wednesday thru Celebrity site at 9am, (when they first were made available) and as of 10pm no delivery. I sail Thursday and plan on testing on Tuesday.

I also ordered on Wednesday and received an email at 11 pm Friday that I wouldn’t receive the shipment until Monday the 13th and If that wasn’t in time for the cruise to contact Optum for a refund. Not off to a good start!!! 

25 minutes ago, cbfb said:

I also ordered on Wednesday and received an email at 11 pm Friday that I wouldn’t receive the shipment until Monday the 13th and If that wasn’t in time for the cruise to contact Optum for a refund. Not off to a good start!!! 

Same here!  Ordered the tests around 9 am on Wednesday, the 8th, and received an email like the one above last night (Friday, the 10th).  I am not sailing for a few weeks so no problem for me, but concerning for those relying on stated delivery timeframe.

9 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

Is it safer to have two tests for each person in the event the first one is positive?  One test per individual seems risky in the event it is ruined or turns positive and one has one day left before the trip.

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

@RichYak — does the health screening ask if you’ve tested positive for Covid within the last so many days?  (Is that the questionnaire you fill out the day before?)

We plan to get a rapid antigen test in the 2-day pre-cruise window, but had been considering booking a (pricey) same-day PCR test as a backup in the event of what could be a false positive on the antigen test. The PCR test could be negative. But it sounds like you are saying we’d be asked to disclose the positive antigen test in any event; is that the case?  We certainly would not lie about it if asked. 

Let’s say the antigen test was positive but the PCR test — considered to be more accurate test— was negative. Does  anyone know what Celebrity would do with that conflicting info in terms of allowing the guest to board? 

10 hours ago, citruscruiser said:

The Celebrity link to Optum says 2 day expedited shipping(and no delivery fee) whereas the Optum site is allow 3 business days for delivery.

Both say the same things with regard to delivery - "Allow up to three business days" and both have free expedited delivery. Mine came FedEx in two days recently.

I'm not saying there is any advantage to ordering one way or the other. Simply pointing out that the Celebrity link doesn't really mean anything. Royal/MSC/American Airlines et. al. all have their logoed page at Optum and they are all the same SKU as what has been available to purchase for a while now. 

celebrityabbott.JPG

Edited by publicpersona

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

@RichYak — does the health screening ask if you’ve tested positive for Covid within the last so many days?  (Is that the questionnaire you fill out the day before?)

We plan to get a rapid antigen test in the 2-day pre-cruise window, but had been considering booking a (pricey) same-day PCR test as a backup in the event of what could be a false positive on the antigen test. The PCR test could be negative. But it sounds like you are saying we’d be asked to disclose the positive antigen test in any event; is that the case?  We certainly would not lie about it if asked. 

Let’s say the antigen test was positive but the PCR test — considered to be more accurate test— was negative. Does  anyone know what Celebrity would do with that conflicting info in terms of allowing the guest to board? 

I think that I recall the questionnaire asked if you have had, or were exposed to someone who had, a positive test result in the last 14 days, but perhaps @RichYak or someone else that is in the process of responding to the questionnaire can confirm that.

In terms of scheduling a "back-up" of course you should do whatever you feel most comfortable with.  However, it appears that the probability of a false positive with the antigen test is very, very low and when it occurs, it is likely due to contamination that occurs during processing which shouldn't be a problem with the monitored home test. A false negative result would be more likely. See, for example:  

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-accurate-are-rapid-covid-tests

In any event, I hope you test negative and can enjoy your cruise.  This is a great time to be on a ship!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

My statement was not to hide anything.  Test results can be wrong.  If one is positive and one is negative, then we need to do a third test.  Just made up my mind, we will buy three tests per person.  Cheap insurance.

3 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

My statement was not to hide anything.  Test results can be wrong.  If one is positive and one is negative, then we need to do a third test.  Just made up my mind, we will buy three tests per person.  Cheap insurance.

You only need 1 test. If the health questionnaire asks if you've tested positive in the last 2 weeks--and surely it must--you will be denied boarding if you have. Unless you plan on hiding that fact. I wouldn't do that given the following text from the Binax instructions:

"All prescribing healthcare providers must report all test results they receive from patients who use your product to relevant public health authorities in accordance with local, state, and federal requirements, using appropriate LOINC and SNOMED codes..."

This is the unfortunate reality of testing requirements.

Edited by RichYak
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, RichYak said:

You only need 1 test. If the health questionnaire asks if you've tested positive in the last 2 weeks--and surely it must--you will be denied boarding if you have. 

Do you know for a fact or are you speculating that boarding would be denied to someone who within 14 days of the cruise had a positive antigen test (truthfully disclosed to Celebrity) but then a negative PCR test within two days of sailing? Do you know for a fact what Celebrity would do with that information? (Perhaps they would test at the pier.)   Those are serious questions, I’m just trying to learn if you have a factual answer or are just guessing. Thanks. 

27 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Do you know for a fact or are you speculating that boarding would be denied to someone who within 14 days of the cruise had a positive antigen test (truthfully disclosed to Celebrity) 

Are you seriously asking this question? If one cannot pass the Covid-19 health screening, are you suggesting that X would say, "Just kidding, come on board!"?

Just now, RichYak said:

Are you seriously asking this question? If one cannot pass the Covid-19 health screening, are you suggesting that X would say, "Just kidding, come on board!"?

You only quoted part of my question.  The scenario I asked about was a positive antigen test followed by a negative PCR test  -- the gold standard of testing.  Celebrity will likely take the first test (the positive) one, and say that's it.  But I asked whether you know for sure in that specific scenario.   I don't think it's helpful to present things as facts one knows, as distinct from things one expects or hopes to happen.  Hence my query to you.  You have answered it.  

29 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You only quoted part of my question.  The scenario I asked about was a positive antigen test followed by a negative PCR test  -- the gold standard of testing.  Celebrity will likely take the first test (the positive) one, and say that's it.  But I asked whether you know for sure in that specific scenario.   I don't think it's helpful to present things as facts one knows, as distinct from things one expects or hopes to happen.  Hence my query to you.  You have answered it.  

The second part of your question is irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that you already tested positive.

Below is the key section from the Celebrity cruise contract. This should put this entire conversation to bed and confirm for you all of my prior assertions. It says "if passenger tests positive" not "if passenger tests positive but..."

"Passenger agrees that if at any time within 14 days prior to embarkation, Passenger tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or Carrier otherwise determines in its sole discretion that Passenger is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, Carrier will deny boarding to such Passenger."

It remains to be seen whether a false positive falls within Celebrity's definition of a "Passenger tests positive for COVID-19". If a passenger has a second test that is negative, and possibly a third, I would imagine that Celebrity would refer you to the medical team at check in for a further test. JMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OhioCraig said:

Just found out these tests are available for free from the local library here in Ohio. I went and they asked me how many I needed. I was able to get three. 

Please make sure those don't have "OTC" printed on the lower left of the box.  If they have OTC, they're not the monitored versions.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, ryansmousehouse said:

Wife and I just did this test for our Alaska cruise leaving this Friday... Great experience, minimum wait for the online proctor to watch and validate test... Did this on a laptop... Received results on app and email.. Printed both off sand printed the celebrity heath prodicals that show this test is accepted...69 bucks for two test including emed monitoring.....

so how does it work with the camera.  Do I for my computer activate the camera first, or does the app do the work.   and what are the steps in order.   like how do I download the app through emed or through Navica. thanks in advance

OhioCraig, we also got the free COVID tests from a Cincinnati library.  The problem was the expiration date on the ones we got was the day before we got them.  I called Abbott to see if the expiration date was extended as I read here.  She said the lot number I gave her wasn’t on the list.  As I was pursuing this issue, I got word from Celebrity that our Apex transatlantic would be testing us before we boarded.  What a relief but I’d be curious what the expiration was on the ones you got.

37 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

OhioCraig, we also got the free COVID tests from a Cincinnati library.  The problem was the expiration date on the ones we got was the day before we got them.  I called Abbott to see if the expiration date was extended as I read here.  She said the lot number I gave her wasn’t on the list.  As I was pursuing this issue, I got word from Celebrity that our Apex transatlantic would be testing us before we boarded.  What a relief but I’d be curious what the expiration was on the ones you got.

The ones I received were lot 134260. The original expiration date was 9/6/2021 the new date based on the document linked below extended it to 12/6/2021 which is more than fine for my 10/27 Panama Canal cruise. https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/binaxnow-home-tests.pdf

That’s great news for you.  They must all be the same lot number throughout the state because that’s what ours are too.  Our transatlantic leaves from Barcelona, Spain and we are going over five days early.  So finding out Celebrity was running the tests was a great relief.  I think we’ll use the ones we got from the library before we leave to make sure we won’t be stuck in Spain because of a positive test.  We’re hoping and praying this cruise goes.  It’s already been moved up by about 10 days and ports have been changed.  Just a few days ago we were informed we were no longer going to Portugal and that all excursions must be purchased through Celebrity or we can’t leave the ship.