Current cancellation options

I know this has been discussed here ad naeseum for the past 18 months, but it's almost a case of too much information now, and I'm trying to sort it out.  Here's the deal: Currently booked on Odyssey in December.  I have a refundable booking, so if I cancel before the final payment date in September, I'm fine.  Am I right that if I cancel AFTER that the normal percentage forfeitures once again apply (i.e. I get less money back the closer to the cruise)?   There is no special considerations being given because of Covid et al at this point, correct?

12 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I know this has been discussed here ad naeseum for the past 18 months, but it's almost a case of too much information now, and I'm trying to sort it out.  Here's the deal: Currently booked on Odyssey in December.  I have a refundable booking, so if I cancel before the final payment date in September, I'm fine.  Am I right that if I cancel AFTER that the normal percentage forfeitures once again apply (i.e. I get less money back the closer to the cruise)?   There is no special considerations being given because of Covid et al at this point, correct?

Whether you’re already booked on a cruise, or are thinking about it, we want you to Cruise with Confidence. That’s why Royal Caribbean will let you cancel any cruise that sets sail from now through April 30th, 2022. Whether it’s a booking you already have or one you make right now through October 31st, 2021, you’re covered. As long as you cancel at least 48 hours before your sail date, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit. The credit is valid to book by April 30th, 2022 and sail by September 30th, 2022, or one year from the original sailing date, whichever is later.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

If they are still requiring vaccines and testing in December you can say that you don't like the protocols and get your money back.  You have to wait for the December protocols to be announced

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Whether you’re already booked on a cruise, or are thinking about it, we want you to Cruise with Confidence. That’s why Royal Caribbean will let you cancel any cruise that sets sail from now through April 30th, 2022. Whether it’s a booking you already have or one you make right now through October 31st, 2021, you’re covered. As long as you cancel at least 48 hours before your sail date, you’ll receive a Future Cruise Credit. The credit is valid to book by April 30th, 2022 and sail by September 30th, 2022, or one year from the original sailing date, whichever is later.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-with-confidence

So, if I cancel after final payment, it will be an fcc.  Is the FCC for the specific traveler, or is it a voucher that anyone can use?  I ask because we have nine family members going, and there's virtually zero possibility of finding another time we can line up the nine of us again in the timeframe.

2 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

So, if I cancel after final payment, it will be an fcc.  Is the FCC for the specific traveler, or is it a voucher that anyone can use?  I ask because we have nine family members going, and there's virtually zero possibility of finding another time we can line up the nine of us again in the timeframe.

FCCs are issued to the passengers on the original booking. I don't think they are transferable.

How about canceling and getting the deposit back?

I had a cruise scheduled for July 2020....Covid nixed that.

Now a year ago I optimistically applied that FCC to a sailing this coming 12/24  (final payment due Sept. 25th)

I don't want to obey all the protocols and cruise with a mask on. Not fun. 

Can I get back my deposit from the original 2020 booking which was converted into a FCC?

My understanding is if you cancel under CWC you will get an FCC. Those FCC's are in the pax names on the booking. If you call a rep to cancel under released protocols then they will convert an FCC that was issued due to Covid-19 cancellations into a cash refund. As OP has a refundable booking I would say cancel now to avoid any after final payment fees. Do not pay, relying on getting a refund when Dec protocols roll around might be setting you up for FCCs you won't be able to use.

@SSBrickNJNope, the only way you might be able to get a cash refund is after making final payment and not agreeing with the Dec protocols. So you would pay more and then MIGHT have the possibility of getting a refund. I would say move that FCC to a later date if you don't want to tie up more money or sail soon.

33 minutes ago, ampurp85 said:

@SSBrickNJNope, the only way you might be able to get a cash refund is after making final payment and not agreeing with the Dec protocols. So you would pay more and then MIGHT have the possibility of getting a refund. I would say move that FCC to a later date if you don't want to tie up more money or sail soon.

Thank you. I might try this approach on the phone w/ RCC:" I've been your customer multiple times before. I'll potentially be your customer multiple times in the future ( once the variant stuff is finally ever a memory and done)

Just give me my deposit back and I will indeed stay loyal to you.

Keep my deposit and I'll hold a grudge and give my future business to other cruise lines."

That has a small chance of working. It does! 😉

Edited by SSBrickNJ

2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Thanks.  Therein lies my dilemma....

I believe you can also ask for credit to a refund to the Credit Card.  There was a thread some time ago, that a senior RCL rep made that statement to that effect.

2 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Thank you. I might try this approach on the phone w/ RCC:" I've been your customer multiple times before. I'll potentially be your customer multiple times in the future ( once the variant stuff is finally ever a memory and done)

Just give me my deposit back and I will indeed stay loyal to you.

Keep my deposit and I'll hold a grudge and give my future business to other cruise lines."

That has a small chance of working. It does! 😉....It won't cost me a penny to call and try.

7 minutes ago, SSBrickNJ said:

You probably have better luck of contacting Michael Bayley Chairman & CEO of RCL.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I have 4 cabins fully paid that are the product of cancellation.   Got FCCs that were used for Anthem April '21, which was also cancelled.  L&S to Anthem April '22 which based on the current vaccination protocols won't be able to sail as I have a granddaughter in each of the 3 cabins and they do not want to get vaxxed. 

To compound the situation, I've got some $2,137 excess FCCs because the Anthem was cheaper than the Harmony Easter '20 sail.  It's a bit too early to take any action.  Hopefully, my Sept. 5 Oasis sail will come off and planning on speaking to the C&A Rep. on board.

I don't want to lose $10+k in total, just because the protocols have changed since the bookings.

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

You probably have better luck of contacting Michael Bayley Chairman & CEO of RCL.  I'm in the same boat as you.  I have 4 cabins fully paid that are the product of cancellation.   Got FCCs that were used for Anthem April '21, which was also cancelled.  L&S to Anthem April '22 which based on the current vaccination protocols won't be able to sail as I have a granddaughter in each of the 3 cabins and they do not want to get vaxxed. 

To compound the situation, I've got some $2,137 excess FCCs because the Anthem was cheaper than the Harmony Easter '20 sail.  It's a bit too early to take any action.  Hopefully, my Sept. 5 Oasis sail will come off and planning on speaking to the C&A Rep. on board.

I don't want to lose $10+k in total, just because the protocols have changed since the bookings.

Wow! Yours is much more complicated than mine.

I just have three $250 deposits....so I'm just seeking a $750 refund.

Good luck to YOU! 😉

22 hours ago, nelblu said:

Thanks, but I'm really not looking for anything special. I have a booking with a fully refundable deposit. I'm just trying to understand my options after final payment.

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I'm just trying to understand my options after final payment.

Under CWC, you can get an FCC up to 2 days before sailing or if canceling due to protocols, a full refund. Other options may be available if RCI cancels. 

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Under CWC, you can get an FCC up to 2 days before sailing or if canceling due to protocols, a full refund. Other options may be available if RCI cancels. 

So the protocols for September out of Bayonne were just released.  I asked my TA what my options were if I decided to cancel my September sailing and she said FCC only. Is there an option to say you’re cancelling because you don’t like the protocols in place and have other options besides FCC? I don’t think a cash refund would be possible since the booking was paid for with FCC, but might they allow me to move the booking like a lift and shift?

7 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Is there an option to say you’re cancelling because you don’t like the protocols in place and have other options besides FCC?

Yes, there should be, but with a TA between you and RCI, may take a lot of persistence to pull off. You could try something simple like telling them you got two different types of vaccine and can’t meet the protocols. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

So the protocols for September out of Bayonne were just released.  I asked my TA what my options were if I decided to cancel my September sailing and she said FCC only. Is there an option to say you’re cancelling because you don’t like the protocols in place and have other options besides FCC? I don’t think a cash refund would be possible since the booking was paid for with FCC, but might they allow me to move the booking like a lift and shift?

Here's the wording I got with my Sept protocol email for a Florida sailing- full refund possible

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We will gladly answer your questions or work with you to reschedule or refund your cruise.

Edited by molly361

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Here's the wording I got with my Sept protocol email for a Florida sailing- full refund possible

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We will gladly answer your questions or work with you to reschedule or refund your cruise.

Thanks for pointing this out.  It’s actually at the bottom of the email I received from them also. I just checked to make sure. I guess if I decide to cancel I will just have to point this out to them since a supposed supervisor told the TA FCC only. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

Thanks for pointing this out.  It’s actually at the bottom of the email I received from them also. I just checked to make sure. I guess if I decide to cancel I will just have to point this out to them since a supposed supervisor told the TA FCC only. 

Unfortunately, the language does not say whether the passenger or Royal is the one who makes the decision. But hey shouldn't keep holding a refund out there if it cannot be selected.

Edited by mayleeman