Any Upgrade Bids Accepted Recently?

rad798

I have no idea which algorithm NCL uses for upgrade offers, but I've been on three cruises and gotten the offer each time. Unfortunately I haven't done so well on obtaining an upgrade because I'm too cheap to offer much😁

do you mean not really as i'm not raining on a parade, or not really that it's not time to end this discussion. 

if its the 1st, and there is anything i can add to help you out, just respond once more to this post, if it's the latter, i guess people will keep asking. personally, it matters not to me who gets upgraded what they bid, and who does not

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I would like to tell you but that would be against the rules.

Can you not private message me? Or identify it in a way that doesn't brake the rules but lets me know what it is lol

well then jrt.mom, if you readily acknowledge that you're to cheap to offer much, why even bother. i know even a broken watch is right at least twice a day, but if i know that my bid is so low that there is a 0 chance of accepting, isnt this an exercise in futility? would you not be better served just booking a cabin you really want?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, complawyer said:

do you mean not really as i'm not raining on a parade, or not really that it's not time to end this discussion. 

if its the 1st, and there is anything i can add to help you out, just respond once more to this post, if it's the latter, i guess people will keep asking. personally, it matters not to me who gets upgraded what they bid, and who does not

You know, if you don’t care about the information, you can choose not to look at the thread. 

Edited by zelliott
  • Like 1

so zelliott, can you honestly say, you really care about whether or not someone else's bid was accepted, what cabin they bid on, and what was the bid, and further do you honestly care whose bids were turned down. if you  wish to bid for an upgrade, and you get it, good for you. if you dontget it, isay again, youre no worse off that stayingin the cabin you originally booked

what effect can this information have on you and your choices? 

regardless of your answers, dont you think 125 pages and ongoing on this 1 topic has now become excessive

3 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

I think people tend to forget the upgrade bud is a discretionary offer from NCL. They don't have to offer bid upgrades to everyone who us booked and so …..

It is not discretionary.

People eligible to bid are offered the chance to bid. It’s not like they are picking and choosing. There is. I business case not to maximize the number of bids. 

There are some special rates that are not eligible. And there are some travel agents that use special rates that do not participate in the Upgrade Advantage. 

3 hours ago, KDebreuil said:

I wonder if the upgrades are only offered to those who book cabins before the 120 days out (before the final payment due date).  I always book through NCL, and I've always been sent an "invitation to bid on an upgrade" in the past.  This is the first time that I've booked a cruise less that 120 days in advance, so the whole payment was due when I booked.

I think that the above comments are right, that the "reservation not found" message means that the information for that reservation wasn't sent to the 3rd party company that manages the upgrades.  The message could be much more clear.  I'm sure it's caused some needless anxiety for others.

Last year, I booked on the week of cruise and within 2 hours of booking, I got an upgrade email. 

11 hours ago, maketime4cruisin said:

go on ncl.com pretend like you are booking a trip.

when you get to the page that shows you the room you are getting,  click on choose a different stateroom. then it will show you all the rooms available for front, mid ship , and aft on each deck 

It will only show you fifteen of the cabins currently available for each section of the ship; front, mid, and aft, for the category you are researching.If you have your eye on a specific cabin that doesn't show as bookable, you have to call NCL to check on availability.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

It will only show you fifteen of the cabins currently available for each section of the ship; front, mid, and aft, for the category you are researching.If you have your eye on a specific cabin that doesn't show as bookable, you have to call NCL to check on availability.

Oh this is good to know. I wonder why it doesn't show them all.

11 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Considering this thread is about upgrade bids, you aren't going to get the specific cabin in the bidding process. But imo it gives you a better idea if you will get an upgrade or not. If you put in a decent to low bid on a balcony from and inside and see that there are still 30 on each floor of the ship chances are pretty good you will get it 

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

so zelliott, can you honestly say, you really care about whether or not someone else's bid was accepted, what cabin they bid on, and what was the bid, and further do you honestly care whose bids were turned down. if you  wish to bid for an upgrade, and you get it, good for you. if you dontget it, isay again, youre no worse off that stayingin the cabin you originally booked

what effect can this information have on you and your choices? 

regardless of your answers, dont you think 125 pages and ongoing on this 1 topic has now become excessive

Look, you’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t find it useful. Great. I could explain why I come back to this topic occasionally, and why new information is helpful for my decision making, but I doubt it would matter to you. And it shouldn’t. The fact that the thread *has* persisted this long demonstrates its value, per se.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KDebreuil said:

I wonder if the upgrades are only offered to those who book cabins before the 120 days out (before the final payment due date).  I always book through NCL, and I've always been sent an "invitation to bid on an upgrade" in the past.  This is the first time that I've booked a cruise less that 120 days in advance, so the whole payment was due when I booked.

I think that the above comments are right, that the "reservation not found" message means that the information for that reservation wasn't sent to the 3rd party company that manages the upgrades.  The message could be much more clear.  I'm sure it's caused some needless anxiety for others.

No, I booked at 90 and got email to bid

19 minutes ago, zelliott said:

Look, you’ve made it abundantly clear that you don’t find it useful. Great. I could explain why I come back to this topic occasionally, and why new information is helpful for my decision making, but I doubt it would matter to you. And it shouldn’t. The fact that the thread *has* persisted this long demonstrates its value, per se.

I agree.  If you don’t find it useful, don’t read it.  Personally, I find it useful to see what is being offered/accepted as time goes on.  Since the re-start, the cruise industry has changed a lot and ships are filling up.  Immediately after the re-start minimum bids were regularly accepted.  Not so much anymore.  I find this thread useful in planning/strategizing.

if you’re not interested, don’t read it.  But personally I love this thread.  😃 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

The sites that show more will still only give a rough indication of the true availability for a number of reasons,  two obvious ones are GTY allocations and TA blocks not released yet. 

• Like 1

heyrussiamomm, ok if after 125 pages and god knows how many posts, if you still find who bid what and what was the outcome, still to be interesting and informative, please continue to read on.

i only suggest t hat regardless of someone else's bid whether it gets accepted or rejected, what cabin they bid on for the upgrade, and what they bid, in reality has no bearing whatsoever on any one else.

how can someone else's bid an any specific cabin, on and specific sailing date or ship, possibly be any help to you in either planning or strategizing your particular plans?  if some one bids on the haven deluxe owners suite on the prima, how does that help you if youre sailing on the dawn? moreover how does it help you if youre on the exact same sailing, but can only afford to bid on an upgrade from a balcony to a club suite? 

isnt it 100% easier and more certain of success if you just book the cabin you want, rather than booking a lower category cabin in the hopes that an upgrade will come your way. even if you bid, the most certain way to get the cabin is to place the max bid.

other than that, to upgrade form an inside to oceanview, ocean view to balcony, isnt worth the hassle,

if i want the balcony, i'm going to book the balcony from the get go, or merely book whichever cabin is within my price range,

it wasnt my intent to stir up a tempest in a tea cup, i was only trying to point out that i think this horse has more than been beaten to death

• Haha 1

Complawyer - what does it matter if you think this horse has been beaten to death? How is people discussing upgrade bids impacting you? If you don’t want to read a topic, don’t click on it! If your inbox is getting flooded with notifications on this post, surely there’s a way to turn them off. 🤷🏼‍♀️

For the record, I am booked in a cabin on a future cruise that I am 100% content with. However, I still put in a super-low bid on a couple of Haven categories because why the heck not? I’m 99.99% confident my bids won’t be accepted but the only thing I’m out is the 2 minutes it took me to click on the email and set my bids. And if a bid *is* accepted…. well I’m sure stranger things have happened. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BunnyHutt said:

Complawyer - what does it matter if you think this horse has been beaten to death? How is people discussing upgrade bids impacting you? If you don’t want to read a topic, don’t click on it! If your inbox is getting flooded with notifications on this post, surely there’s a way to turn them off. 🤷🏼‍♀️

For the record, I am booked in a cabin on a future cruise that I am 100% content with. However, I still put in a super-low bid on a couple of Haven categories because why the heck not? I’m 99.99% confident my bids won’t be accepted but the only thing I’m out is the 2 minutes it took me to click on the email and set my bids. And if a bid *is* accepted…. well I’m sure stranger things have happened. 

Thanks for this post. It's exactly what I do. If my bid doesn't get accepted I still have a beautiful balcony room to enjoy...any upgrade will be the icing on the cake!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jack300s said:

I'm sure this is probably covered somewhere in this long thread? When the status on bids shows pending does that mean anything?

image.png.5af8d8be977c894450091f404a59e073.png

image.png.1f5878f1c97dfe0ae22dde31f90e90f7.png

Edited by n4w

On 6/4/2023 at 11:42 PM, complawyer said:

isnt it 100% easier and more certain of success if you just book the cabin you want, rather than booking a lower category cabin in the hopes that an upgrade will come your way. even if you bid, the most certain way to get the cabin is to place the max bid.

It's does not make financial sense to just book what you want from the start in some cases.

Those of us that use points.

When I can book an inside, use points to get a balcony then max bid to haven on 14-21 night cruises, I have at least a $6000 savings or a $6000 advantage when bidding.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mscdivina2016 said:

It's does not make financial sense to just book what you want from the start in some cases.

When I can book an inside, use points to get a balcony then max bid to haven on 14-21 night cruises, I have at least a $6000 savings or a $6000 advantage when bidding.

I don't know how many people are in that category. Might be a lot, might be quite few. My wife and I do travel a fair amount and I know we aren't anywhere close to getting a balcony on points alone.

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I am going to try to utilize my advantage for my Hawaii/Alaska cruise in April 2024.  I already booked the inside then upgraded with points.  Hopefully in January I will receive an offer to bid.  Really looking forward to seeing if I can swing this 🤞!