MSC needs to hire some IT people.

Elkins45

My state is missing from my eTicket and it fills in the wrong town, probably because they are both tiny communities that share the same zip code. I've updated my info about six different times but the website never saves the changes. Then a few hours later I get mailed a new eTicket with exactly the same info as the last one.

Surely they wouldn't turn me away at the port because my info is missing my state? Or should I call and wait on hold in the hope someone at MSC can fix it?

Edited by Elkins45

Yeah, it’s very disturbing how disjointed the different MSC departments seem to be. Last week, I was conveying messages back and forth between IT and Support! And still haven’t resolved my problem.

Their archaic software should be setup to auto-populate your city and state using the zip code. Good luck!

A cruise purchased over a week ago still does not show up.  When I try to add the booking number, I get an error message.  And yet we’ve received both a “web check in health” email and an upgrade bid email for that cruise!  Frustrating for sure.

Yes, there are a lot of departments land side they need to address.  It is great once on board but getting there can be a challenge.  

Per IT, I got an offer to upgrade a cruise I cancelled.  I would think it would be out of the system for something like that.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PRH said:

A cruise purchased over a week ago still does not show up.  When I try to add the booking number, I get an error message.  And yet we’ve received both a “web check in health” email and an upgrade bid email for that cruise!  Frustrating for sure.

None of my cruises have ever been able to be added, even after I spent an hour on the phone with them. I have had to click "Manage Booking" and "My Cruise" and use the left choice (manage with booking number). Note: I have always had to call and have them send me my ticket also, since I have never gotten one automatically.

I took my first MSC cruise in 2009, and trust me... their website has always been a mess. I am scheduled to be on Meraviglia on 9/25, and I have requested docs through the website many times in the last couple of days with no success.

This is one reason I absolutely use a TA when booking an MSC cruise. My agent seems to be able to speak MSC-ese much better than I do, and she smooths the rough edges of dealing with them.

It astonishes me how different the experience is once I am on board the ships.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TnTom said:

This is one reason I absolutely use a TA when booking an MSC cruise. My agent seems to be able to speak MSC-ese much better than I do, and she smooths the rough edges of dealing with them.

Us, too. We always use a TA and he takes great care of us, even sending us our MSC cruise tickets. Since we love the onboard experience so much and our TA takes care of everything, we're happy customers. All of the people we've met onboard the ships have had great experiences, too. Not one complaint about the pre-cruise experience. Cruise Critic tends to attract a small, but vocal group of people who make it seem like MSC is a disaster, but the reality is far from it.

• Like 1

In IT business there is an old style two step design process

1. Think about how to srew up a system totally

2. Then invert the solution or go the oposite direction

This might end up in a functional solution. But MSC missed the 2nd step apparently.

17 hours ago, Elkins45 said:

My state is missing from my eTicket and it fills in the wrong town, probably because they are both tiny communities that share the same zip code. I've updated my info about six different times but the website never saves the changes. Then a few hours later I get mailed a new eTicket with exactly the same info as the last one.

Surely they wouldn't turn me away at the port because my info is missing my state? Or should I call and wait on hold in the hope someone at MSC can fix it?

We have the same issue.  Our travel docs do not have the state listed and you can't update on the website, even on my travel agent site, MSCbook..  Just hope it is not an issue at the port.

MSC historically has the worst IT in the industry. When there is any problem, MSC customer reps blame their IT department and say "It will be fixed sometime over the weekend."  Reminds me of the IT department on the British comedy "The IT crowd" on Netflix (have you tried turning it off and on again?"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

(have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Fixes 90% of issues.  Its where we start. 
You'd be amazed how many times someone calls me and starts with Yes i rebooted!!  next i try to fix the issue and reboot anyway and it fixed the issue.  
AVG person still doesn't know how to restart a PC.  turning off the monitor is not turning of the pc SMH
Yup I do IT for a living

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, codeyell0 said:

Yup I do IT for a living

I can't get my docs - the buttons are disabled, so I went ahead and enabled the buttons via developer tools.  I wasn't really expecting it to work, but it went to the server and I got happy for a second...then it came back with an error of course.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

I went ahead and enabled the buttons via developer tools.

Honest, this might work tomorrow. Looks like most anything that requires fetching the booking itself on the back end is throwing a 500 right now so that error may have happened even if the buttons were enabled naturally.

Also, I work in quality assurance for an IT company. I'll go ahead and let y'all imagine what dealing with MSC's tech does to me. 😭

Not sure if it's universal, but was my experience which is a bit unnerving. Using the web contact form,https://www.msccruisesusa.com/forms/contact-us, for a general inquiry, there's a space to include your booking number. When I submitted my request, it errored out with an "invalid booking number" message. I noticed it wasn't a required field, so omitted it (and added it to the inquiry itself) and submitted form with no issues. 

I have my e-tickets already so I'm not terribly concerned, but being told my booking number is invalid is unnerving. 

Edited by ciabelle
proper tense is a good thing...

Ive been a client since 2018 and an agent working as their client since 2019. They need to wipe all their servers, fire all their contractors and IT department and start from the ground up all over again with new leadership overseeing it and Customer Service. And then tell the world about the “New and Improved MSC”. 

• Like 2