CDC shortens guidelines for testing to two days

Hadacareer

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends travelers going on a cruise get tested for COVID-19 within two days before boarding — a shorter time period than previously advised.

Vaccinated passengers will need to get a COVID-19 PCR or rapid antigen test within two days of boarding a ship or get tested on the day of embarkation. The updated guidance comes amid the spread of the highly contagious delta variant and months after the CDC said cruise lines didn't have to test fully vaccinated passengers before embarking on a trip or upon returning to port.

20 minutes ago, goodmanl1975 said:

Yep, this is for cruises that depart from the US.  Does not include Europe sailings.  Those sailings have to abide by the guidelines from the Europe countries where the ship embarks from.

42 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Old news I'm afraid .....

It's not old. The article cited carries today's date. Most of the cruise lines mentioned in the article say they're changing their requirements effective next Monday, Sept. 13, and one says Sept. 19.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Old news I'm afraid .....

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's not old. The article cited carries today's date. Most of the cruise lines mentioned in the article say they're changing their requirements effective next Monday, Sept. 13, and one says Sept. 19.

You are both correct.  A current article, but the news is "old" in the sense that the CDC published the new 2-day testing guidance on August 27, and some folks here on CC started talking about it then, giving people a heads up that the cruise lines would likely be switching from 3-day to 2-day testing pretty soon.  Since NCL is testing on the day of sailing (unless I'm mistaken about that), it hasn't been as hot a topic here, but it has been over in the boards for cruise lines like Celebrity, where guests are responsible for getting their own tests in the required window prior to sailing. 

(Hi Paul.)

3 hours ago, Hadacareer said:

Maybe but first I heard of it

Royal Caribbean makes you bring your own test results to check-in. They have already changed their rules from 3 days to 2 days (for cruises starting on or after 9/13/21). That change in test window was made by RCL about a week ago. 

Edited by BirdTravels

6 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I wish NCL would just accept a test within 48 - 72 hours as an option to the port testing.  One less variable before leaving home.

My thoughts also.  Our cruise is on a Sunday - we fly to Miami on Saturday.  We may not receive our results within 24 hours which means we will be on our way to Miami without test results.  72 hours gave us a better time frame for the PCR results. 

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I wish NCL would just accept a test within 48 - 72 hours as an option to the port testing.  One less variable before leaving home.

The only policy I agree needs to be universal across all cruises is an embarkation day test.

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Hi Judith. Hope you're doing well. All is good here other than the boredom. 😉

Hi Paul.  Glad all is well on your end. I would describe our end the same way you did. ☺️

(We've just take a page from your winter strategy playbook and booked a B2B (finally!) on the Gem, NY to Panama City and back, starting Jan. 2, 2023.  Any chance we might see you aboard?  BTW, my email address is turtles06@outlook.com.)

(Huge apologies for the OT post.)

14 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Too much of a liability -test results can be faked.  Nothing stopping you from getting tested before you leave home so chances of being positive at the port are low.