Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

This is interesting. Captain Corey of the Youtube channel Midships reported that these insulation panels are meant to be switched out. A google search "For how long does a ship stay in a dry dock? Answer: Every sea vessel is required to undergo dry-docking at least once in 5 years. The duration of a dry-docking project is around 10-14 days.Jan 18, 2022"

So the question is there enough product in stock to do the switcheroo ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

It’s a good thing they found out about this issue. There is a minor volcano eruption in the Reykjavik Iceland region. We are scheduled to embark on 9 September. 😀

It´s the same area as in 2021... It was only magma coming up but no big ash clouds which can impact the air traffic. So no real need to worry yet. And they are pretty well organized there. Back in 2021 they had a parking lot where you paid the fee with your cell phone. Wooden sticks marked the walking way. Guides were present to advise you where to go... Currently the area is under examination of the scientists and closed for the public.

steamboats

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This is interesting. Captain Corey of the Youtube channel Midships reported that these insulation panels are meant to be switched out. A google search "For how long does a ship stay in a dry dock? Answer: Every sea vessel is required to undergo dry-docking at least once in 5 years. The duration of a dry-docking project is around 10-14 days.Jan 18, 2022"

So the question is there enough product in stock to do the switcheroo ?

And enough time to get to Copenhagen 

3 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

Yes definitely consider the source. His reputation precludes considering himself as a unbiased source. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes definitely consider the source. His reputation precludes considering himself as a unbiased source. 

Agree. But that be can asserted about the CLIA and its operators. The most glaring error in the attorney article is referring (twice) to the 45 ships allegedly sailing with the faulty panels are all cruise ships. This claim was not made by FT or the other articles. Some, but not all 45, were reported as cruise ships. Seems an attorney would be more careful.

Edited by Hanoj

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not if your goal is to stoke the flames - and generate clients.

An he is known for doing this -- I posted on his site, I bet you are salivating with today's news.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2023 at 1:52 PM, saminina said:

Add:  Priority security line, lounge access, maybe some food to chew.

AND the pleasure of NO seat assignments in business until check in (24 hours before departure) unless you want to pay for a seat before that.  BA business class inter Europe is a joke.

• Like 1

Here is sort of an update with more information. The article is in Italian so you have to translate it. To sum it up:

A Danish competitor of Paroc did it´s own tests which the Paroc panels failed. Obviously the panels have to be fire resistant for at least 60 min. The test results are speaking of 43 or 50 min only. RINA (an Italian classification organisation) and Fincantieri are now conducting their own tests simulation the interior of the Explora I on land.

Looks like the results of the first tests are more optimistic...

steamboats

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Here is sort of an update with more information. The article is in Italian so you have to translate it. To sum it up:

A Danish competitor of Paroc did it´s own tests which the Paroc panels failed. Obviously the panels have to be fire resistant for at least 60 min. The test results are speaking of 43 or 50 min only. RINA (an Italian classification organisation) and Fincantieri are now conducting their own tests simulation the interior of the Explora I on land.

steamboats

So does that mean they haven’t started replacing them?  Big gamble possibly delaying the inevitable. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Thank you so much for posting. It seems like it’s going to be just a wait and see approach and continue to scour the internet for any news. I’ve been looking for days for any news to no avail. Thanks again! 

1 hour ago, NatzHase said:

No
the materials used are currently being tested to see whether they achieve fire resistance

Reminds me of a Churchill quote about the US. "Winston Churchill once famously observed that Americans will always do the right thing, only after they have tried everything else."

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Reminds me of a Churchill quote about the US. "Winston Churchill once famously observed that Americans will always do the right thing, only after they have tried everything else."

Except these are Italians...

The Explora I is now listed in Kiel on Aug 13th / 2 pm til Aug 14th 5 pm.

As Kiel is not a port on the now first cruise on Aug 1st from Copenhagen to Reykjavik and back this looks more than those cruises may be cancelled too.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Bongomeme said:

Steamboats , where do you find that info? I’m scheduled for sept 2 and I want to reach out to my TA with this info to see if he can find out anything from explora. Thanks!

https://www.portofkiel.com/files/pok/Downloads/Kreuzfahrerlisten/Kreuzfahrtliste.pdf

Explora 1 has an overnight call in Kiel on that schedule for 13,14 Aug.she is due be at sea on the way to Skagen, and then in Skagen on that day. At this stage it could be an itinerary alteration rather than wholesale cancellation.

later in the month, she no longer shows on the Hamburg port schedule but she is still on the schedule showing ships expected at different terminals. https://www.cruisegate-hamburg.de/terminals/cruise-center-altona/ 

4 minutes ago, Mattsudds said:

https://www.portofkiel.com/files/pok/Downloads/Kreuzfahrerlisten/Kreuzfahrtliste.pdf

Explora 1 has an overnight call in Kiel on that schedule for 13,14 Aug.she is due be at sea on the way to Skagen, and then in Skagen on that day. At this stage it could be an itinerary alteration rather than wholesale cancellation.

later in the month, she no longer shows on the Hamburg port schedule but she is still on the schedule showing ships expected at different terminals. https://www.cruisegate-hamburg.de/terminals/cruise-center-altona/ 

Interesting. Thanks for the information. 

11 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Thinking out loud, did Paroc self report or did the Danish company turn them in? Many manufacturers will have certified testing chambers for their own product design as 3rd party testing can get expensive. They also use them to test competitors products for obvious reasons (like this one)....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It has become a cliche. One can substitute any nationality for "Americans" nowadays.

• Like 1