Princess vs Celebrity?

Brookefairway

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Agree. The SKY Princess blows away anything Celebrity has that floats. The APEX is nothing more than a fancy cold hotel. Pigs, elephants and horses OH yes wooden art ? are the type of things you see all over the ship. A farmers paradise. Try to even eat on that outside dining elevator. The wind blows everything to the ground. As for food. Princess and Royal in my opinion have the best. Unless you are talking steak Carnivals Fahrenheit 555 has the very best. Hands down. Were never disappointed and stuffed. The only bad steak and service we ever had was on the Caribbean Princess. Both were terrible.

We have two booked cruises on the Sky for 2023. I am sure we will enjoy!

I am in a unique position for this comparison, as I’m on my second Alaska cruise this season, having disembarked one two days before boarding the current one on the Majestic Princess:

First, we were onboard the Celebrity Millennium last week. It was probably the finest onboard experience we have EVER had. I am keeping in mind that I am comparing our current experiences to something phenomenal and clearly unusual (crew outnumbered passengers by about 4:3, with about 637 passengers onboard and over 800 crew). Service was out of this world, and we met a higher percentage of awesome cruisers we’d love to cruise with again than we usually do. I know I need to be fair in comparing the best experience ever to this one. 

We passengers each jumped through all the hoops to ensure our safety, as well as that of the crew. Those were the same for both cruise lines, however, Celebrity does allow kids. There was one very well-behaved child. She and her family were always masked. Once onboard the Millennium, passengers jettisoned masks, with very few exceptions. No one batted an eye at those who chose to keep them on. It honestly felt like we were in the safest place we could possibly be. 

Onboard the Majestic, masks are required in shops, the theater, Princess Live, walking to your table in restaurants, and in a few more places. Masks are encouraged elsewhere, but it seems as if they’re actually required. The clear psychological implication is that the protocols don’t work, and that we are unsafe. Even with my immune issues, I felt completely safe last week. We have been following the rules and not wearing our masks in areas where they are not required. We are also getting very dirty looks for doing so. I had a crew member tell me to put my mask on when I was in an area where it was definitely not required. 

Mind you, we must wear our masks while walking through the restaurant to our table, during which time we pass people for a fraction of a second each. Once at the table, even a “private” table, we are seated less than a foot from strangers for 90 minutes, unmasked. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

We absolutely would not be on a ship if we didn’t feel the protocols were adequate. I cannot fathom why Princess is doing it this way. 

Last week, with masked crew and mostly unmasked passengers, things felt exceptionally  safe, and we wished crew could doff theirs. We were even told about the protocols for getting supplies onboard. They are extremely strict. Kudos to the delivery drivers, forklift operators, etc. They’re the real MVPs! 

This week, masks are everywhere, and it feels like “OMG, folks! Things are scary scary scary!!! Everything you’ve done and we’ve done to keep you safe is pointless!! If you’re not masked for passing people for half a second in the atrium you’re in danger!!!! But it’s totally cool to sit with them, unmasked, for long meals.” 🤔

We have literally been following Princess’ rules to the letter, and being made to feel like pariahs for doing so. We are considering pretty much giving up and pointlessly wearing the masks everywhere. It’s just not worth dealing with the dirty looks and snide comments. We might cancel our next Princess cruise, a 3 day out of LA. If this were our first Princess cruise, it would also be our last. 

Seeing masks on the crew feels like, okay, it’s an abundance of caution thing. It’s a bummer, but I get it. Seeing the masks on everyone and getting glared at or admonished when we are absolutely following the rules makes it seem like we aren’t actually safe being here, as though we are doing something wrong by cruising. The psychological implication is clear, and the atmosphere reflects that. 

Last week, it was “Woo hoo! We all did the right things to keep others and ourselves safe! Let’s celebrate!” Tables were 2-4 feet apart. Seats were marked off for distancing in the theater. All else was even better than normal. It was an awesome experience. 

This week, it’s “Following the protocols and doing the right things makes us no safer than we would be anywhere else. Be afraid, be scared, be more careful than you would at home (unless it’s crowded meal time).” It’s a very weird vibe. 

As some of you might remember, I’ve made and donated hundreds of masks. I wish my son’s school required them. Only he, the science teachers, and a few others wear them. I bought more fabric for masks at a store in Juneau today. This is NOT an “anti-mask” thing in any way. It’s a “this makes no sense, and the mood reflects it” thing. 

One thing that’s MUCH better this week is that our shower drains efficiently. We love that! Another thing that’s better is the bacon. Celebrity’s is too thin. Overall, food is much better on Celebrity. 

Crew were far friendlier and happy to be back on the Millennium. They were truly awesome! Most crew are adequate on this ship, with a few shining stars, and one rude, complete dud who canceled our snack delivery order because she couldn’t find us when we hadn’t moved from our seats in Ocean Terrace Bar, our medallions clearly showed exactly where we were, and she was looking in Sur le Mer. One of the shining stars is our steward. He will be getting a BIG extra tip. We are doing lots of extra tipping, since all these folks were out of work for so long. The Vines staff are very good, as well. 

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Mind you, we must wear our masks while walking through the restaurant to our table, during which time we pass people for a fraction of a second each. Once at the table, even a “private” table, we are seated less than a foot from strangers for 90 minutes, unmasked. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

This week, masks are everywhere, and it feels like “OMG, folks! Things are scary scary scary!!! Everything you’ve done and we’ve done to keep you safe is pointless!! If you’re not masked for passing people for half a second in the atrium you’re in danger!!!! But it’s totally cool to sit with them, unmasked, for long meals.” 🤔

There has always been a lack of consistency in protocols, not to mention some missing common sense.  Same sort of thing around these parts, so not just on the ships.

@mamafei thanks for sharing your perspective.  Your attitude about masks sounds similar to ours.  We are taking a 4 night on the Grand to see how it is before final payment is due on the longer (and cross country flight) we have booked. 

Pre Covid, we were also in a position to compare the Regal Princess to the Celebrity Reflection. These two cruises were just a few weeks apart in the Fall of 2018. 

We experienced rude and snooty service on Celebrity, poor food quality and service ( ghostly service in the buffet). The Regal offered fantastic and friendly service as well as much better food. The atmospheres were quite different. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:21 PM, Brookefairway said:

Was considering a princess cruise in a suite. How does [princess compare to the Celebrity cruise line re Food..service  entertainment..?  Just off Celebrity. food was ok but not top notch (dinner) and entertainment so so..Please let me know your thoughts we are adult cruisers 

I have not sailed Celebrity in a suite so I don't know how Luminae the  exclusive suite dining room food compares to the Princess regular MDR. I will say that I prefer Princess MDR to Celebrities regular MDR. If I was booking a suite and the interaries and price were the same I would book Celebrity especially if it were an Edge class ship. I think they offer a better suite experience. If it were a regular balcony room I would sail with Princess.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting discussion of Princess vs Celebrity.

I've been thinking of booking the Ruby Princess out of SF (literally a 30 min drive away for me) but have been hesitant because of the lack of high end suite amenities like they have on Celebrity (butler, Retreat lounge, Retreat sundeck, dedicated suite restaurant).

Also I was concerned about some negative reviews about the age of Ruby.

For anyone who has sailed the Ruby, how was the suite experience on Ruby (I understand I will not get any of the dedicated suite amenities that Celebrity offers but wanted to know if the overall suite experience was nevertheless satisfactory)?

3 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I've been thinking of booking the Ruby Princess out of SF (literally a 30 min drive away for me) but have been hesitant because of the lack of high end suite amenities like they have on Celebrity (butler, Retreat lounge, Retreat sundeck, dedicated suite restaurant).

For anyone who has sailed the Ruby, how was the suite experience on Ruby (I understand I will not get any of the dedicated suite amenities that Celebrity offers but wanted to know if the overall suite experience was nevertheless satisfactory)?

We do not cruise for the "cabin experience".  We cruise for the overall experience about the ship; service, food, shows, lovely open atrium, and general non- snooty atmosphere.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, Bruin Steve said:

First off, I am Platinum on Princess, Elite Plus on Celebrity...My last cruise (actually back-to-back) was in a Sky Suite on Celebrity Apex four weeks ago...My next-to-last Princess cruise (Pre-pandemic) was in a "Club Class" Mini-Suite...I'll try to answer best I can, but realize many things are subjective and people's opinions can differ greatly.

Food and Service:  I have always been of the opinion that Celebrity's food, overall, is superior...but there is nothing objectionable about Princess's...I've enjoyed meals on both...That said, for SUITE restaurants, Princess comes nowhere close to Celebrity.  Celebrity's Luminae is incredible...Princess' Club Class is really just a slightly enhanced menu within a cordoned off section of the MDR.  Service in Luminae is outstanding...though service in Club Class is definitely a step up from Princess' MDR service--which I've always found a little bit lacking. 

Another note which needs comment:  On Celebrity, we really enjoyed the Retreat Lounge--a bar reserved for Suite guests only where the service was without compare.  Princess has nothing to compare.  Also, Celebrity has great butlers for added service to your suite.  Princess has nothing of the sort.

Entertainment:  It's all subjective and subject to personal taste...but, IMHO,  Celebrity's "production shows" are superior, Princess GENERALLY gets the edge on comedians/magicians.  But ANY cruise entertainment really depends on who they've booked and varies ship to ship and show to show.  Where Celebrity does have a MAJOR edge is in the showroom itself.  Celebrity ships' showrooms are ample for the number of guests onboard.  Princess' are far too small--often seating less than one third of the ship's capacity.  The result is that you have to show up WAY early to get a seat on Princess.  On Celebrity, there never seems to be a problem with finding a seat for a show, no matter when you show up..

But, all in all, I never choose for any of those particular reasons...I'll go on either line if the itinerary, the dates and the pricing fits my needs and desires.  Either will give you a nice cruise vacation.

Excellent advice.

14 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

FWIW we have sailed a few times in Sky Suites and, you’re right, it’s nothing like cruising in a Princess Vista Suite. But, on our 25 day Easter Island cruise from FtLauderdale to Santiago is a VS on the Island Princess, we were very well treated. 

If I might add there is a Panama Canal cruise out of SFO in April on the Caribbean Princess you may also want to check out. We’re booked in an aft-facing VS on her and let me tell you, we are definitely looking forward to that 18 day itinerary! The key for us with Princess is her longer itineraries, which unfortunately X has very few of. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

On 9/14/2021 at 2:16 PM, vjmatty said:

And this is why I think it's hard, and really unnecessary, to choose one cruiseline above all others. It's ok to accept no line is perfect, so I just look for the best fit when considering dates, itinerary, cabin availability and cost. 

Agree......taking the Barrel Chairs out of the standard balcony cabins was one of the most short sighted things Princess has done and their new philosophy seems to be to take "a little here and a little there" and people will either not notice or care.  We have been with Princess for a number of years and things really have gone downhill slowly IMHO......

On 9/29/2021 at 6:40 PM, MamaFej said:

Seeing masks on the crew feels like, okay, it’s an abundance of caution thing. It’s a bought more fabric for masks at a store in Juneau today. This is NOT an “anti-mask” thing in any way. It’s a “this makes no sense, and the mood reflects it” thing. 

Sorry...... it seemed like it was an anti-mask rant to me......you obviously commented numerous times on how silly the mask requirements were (read your post).  

We want Princess to strictly enforce their safety protocols when we are on board because we do not want to be on one of their ships with a bunch of people who try and justify why the rules are not for them.  Mask it or cask it!!!!

• Like 1