Tub/shower combo - A Deal Breaker

travelwell

We are thinking about the Singapore - San Francisco segment of the 2022 world cruise. There are rooms available, my guess none with shower only. I will find out tomorrow. Would a shower/tub combo be a deal breaker? We are not tall, I'm 5"1 and DH 5"9. Although DH has had joint replacements, his mobility is excellent. I have heard they are disliked due to the elevation from the floor and hard to get in and out. Any other comments? Would this be a deal breaker for any of you and why?

After canceling 2 WC's this might be a super consolation trip. 

Lisa

18 minutes ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We are 5'-1 and 5'-5 and combo tub shower on the Mariner IS A DEAL BREAKER for us. Did it once but  never again. Love the public areas of the Mariner but felt the combo tub/shower was too dangerous for us.

What made it dangerous? Slippery. No grab bars? Too hard to actually get in  with motion of the ship? Since you are my height your input is of interest. 

If one is 6’ 5” tall, there will be a 3” shortage of headroom to take a shower. The headroom while standing in the tub to shower is 6’ 2”. 

How many nights on your segment? We are short, but find the tub/shower combo acceptable for no more than seven nights. 

15 hours ago, travelwell said:

We are thinking about the Singapore - San Francisco segment of the 2022 world cruise. There are rooms available, my guess none with shower only. I will find out tomorrow. Would a shower/tub combo be a deal breaker? We are not tall, I'm 5"1 and DH 5"9. Although DH has had joint replacements, his mobility is excellent. I have heard they are disliked due to the elevation from the floor and hard to get in and out. Any other comments? Would this be a deal breaker for any of you and why?

After canceling 2 WC's this might be a super consolation trip. 

Lisa

I'm short, fat and over 70.  Would a shower/tub combo be a deal breaker?  No, as I would be prepared to have difficulty getting in and out of the tub to take a shower.  Years ago we had that combo on a Regent cruise and right now we're in a hotel with the same combo.  Just be prepared.

Enjoy!

9 hours ago, travelwell said:

We have a hold on the last available PH and it  has a shower/tub combo. It is a 38 day cruise. There are concierge rooms with shower available too. Hard decision actually.

That is a difficult decision.

The size & layout of the Penthouses on Mariner are very appealing compared to the size of the Concierge suites.

Is the only available Penthouse in a good location? If so then personally I would go for it and then waitlist the three Penthouse grades for a shower-only. 

The alternative is to book a Concierge suite with shower-only and waitlist for a Penthouse shower-only.

• Like 3

If given the choice I would definitely go with shower only and we are on wait list to change from a combo to a shower only on a future cruise.   As fudgebug said, be prepared if you have a combo.  When we have a combo neither of us will get in or out of the tub without the other acting as safety, with an arm to give one more place to hold on to. The real issue for us is that the side of the tub is fairly high. 

• Like 2

I'm young, 5ft 11 (so medium-ish height) so it's not really a deal breaker for me. 

I've never really had any problem with shower/tub combos. Although I'm not sure what you're looking for with this post, if it's a deal breaker for you, it's a deal breaker for you. If you're short, older or have social mobility problems, I probably wouldn't recommend them. 

I'm not too worried about falling myself. 

Edited by nonu731

@travelwell,

Another way of achieving what you desire may be to change suites between the two cruise segments, as I believe there are shower-only Penthouses available for each of the two segments but not the same numbered suite for both.

Changing suites is very straightforward with Regent as they do all the work for you on changeover day; you just look after your valuables. You can leave everything in drawers & on the hanging rail and they will carefully transfer for you.

We have done this a number of times in the past when we were unable to achieve continuity of suite between cruise segments.

• Like 4

I'm 6' and still reasonably flexible.  I don't really like the combo shower/tub idea, mostly from a headroom aspect.  Although I'd prefer a shower only setup, the combo wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me.  I figure you're only in the shower for what, like 5-10 minutes a day?  I'd say if you're physically able to step over or sit and swing over, go ahead and go for it.

• Like 1

I am plenty flexible, but getting in/out of that elevated tub is challenging.  I have almost fallen more than once.  I think my legs are just too short.  Not a deal breaker, but if given a choice, I would take the shower only option every time. 

• Like 2