Covid Booster & Upcoming Cruise

keels81

So, I'm eligible for my third Pfizer shot here in Louisiana and obviously, in a perfect world I'd be able to get the jab before my cruise on the Mardi Gras on Oct. 2 ... however, with Carnival's wording about requiring proof that you've had the final shot of your vaccine course 15 days prior to sailing, I'm worried that it may affect my ability to board on the 2nd.

I've left a voicemail for my rep for guidance, but just taking a shot in the dark that someone around these parts might have some advice or insight.

Obviously, I'm happy to wait to get the booster until after my cruise if need be but I'm all about all the protection possible and I can get the booster first thing tomorrow morning if I choose.

Thanks y'all!

• Like 1

We can get our third shot about 4 days before the cruise.  I have ask the question if recent covid shot could it cause a false positive.  So far I have only got "I Don't Think So".  We decided to wait till after the cruise.  That from people that should know.

Edited by dhaza
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Why does it matter when you take or took the booster when you've already had the two that are required to sail currently? 

I agree with the OP that Carnival could interpret however they wish. They specify 15 days after the FINAL DOSE, not the second dose, and with people being denied boarding due to what may seem like a minor technicality, why take the chance?

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth

The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents and show the guest is fully vaccinated. The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. This means that on embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since the final dose was received. Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I agree with the OP that Carnival could interpret however they wish. They specify 15 days after the FINAL DOSE, not the second dose, and with people being denied boarding due to what may seem like a minor technicality, why take the chance?

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth

The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest’s travel documents and show the guest is fully vaccinated. The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date. This means that on embarkation day, a minimum of 15 days must have passed since the final dose was received. Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible.

Boosters are NOT required. The final dose is the second dose in which you are fully vaccinated. Carnival would not even know your medical history (high risk) to know that you would even require a booster or suggested to get one. There will not be a minor technicality with this as boosters are a non factor . 

• Like 1

John Heald wrote this today, Monday the 27th.

We have not made any announcements about this because it doesn’t change any of our protocols. If people have it and when people have it it doesn’t matter as far as boarding is concerned."

Mr. Heald also said this to another question on the subject: " No, we certainly not going to require it. If you have it it does not affect boarding or anything else as we have not extended our protocols to include booster shots."

Edited by AHS123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Boosters are NOT required. The final dose is the second dose in which you are fully vaccinated. Carnival would not even know your medical history (high risk) to know that you would even require a booster or suggested to get one. There will not be a minor technicality with this as boosters are a non factor . 

That would depend on where you get the booster or 'third dose'.  Our provider lists it on line three (other) of the CDC Covid-19 Vaccination Record Card.   It's listed with the date given, manufacturer (Pfizer) and the lot number,  the same as the first and second dose.   So Carnival could very well decide to use the last dose recorded on the card as the final dose if they choose to do so.  I'm not saying that it will be an issue, but I can see where it COULD be, and personally I wouldn't want to ta a chance of missing the boat for something this simple.

4 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

So Carnival could very well decide to use the last dose recorded on the card as the final dose if they choose to do so.  I'm not saying that it will be an issue, but I can see where it COULD be, and personally I wouldn't want to ta a chance of missing the boat for something this simple.

Unless the science changes or the CDC itself does this reads per above that carnival has made a decision and here it is: " Mr. Heald also said this to another question on the subject: " No, we certainly not going to require it. If you have it it does not affect boarding or anything else as we have not extended our protocols to include booster shots."

16 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Only certain classes of people are able to get boosters.  As Heald said, those boosters don't matter.  Aren't part of the Final count.  Booster or no you still need to get tested.  That's the bigger push by Carnival.

And so far only those who had the Pfizer vaccines unless you fall into some immunocompromised category.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stellarose said:

teachers can also get the booster.I am scheduled for next week. I have 32 kids in a classroom and can't keep more than 3 feet apart. 

we cruise in December. 

I am not sure if that is true. DW is an elementary art teacher and is exposed to many, many unvaccinated children. We each had the 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine, and it is my understanding after talking to the folks at the local pharmacy that she (and I) will have to wait for the Moderna booster to be approved.

Do you have some citation that would say she could get a booster at this time?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I am not sure if that is true. DW is an elementary art teacher and is exposed to many, many unvaccinated children. We each had the 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine, and it is my understanding after talking to the folks at the local pharmacy that she (and I) will have to wait for the Moderna booster to be approved.

Do you have some citation that would say she could get a booster at this time?

Only Pfizer was approved for boosters outside of the immunocompromised status. Teachers are included in the Pfizer booster plan that was approved last week along with some other categories.  So if she got Moderna, there is no booster for her yet, unless she falls into the immunocompromised category. Moderna has yet to gain approval for wide spread booster usage. 

16 hours ago, keels81 said:

So, I'm eligible for my third Pfizer shot here in Louisiana and obviously, in a perfect world I'd be able to get the jab before my cruise on the Mardi Gras on Oct. 2 ... however, with Carnival's wording about requiring proof that you've had the final shot of your vaccine course 15 days prior to sailing, I'm worried that it may affect my ability to board on the 2nd.

I've left a voicemail for my rep for guidance, but just taking a shot in the dark that someone around these parts might have some advice or insight.

Obviously, I'm happy to wait to get the booster until after my cruise if need be but I'm all about all the protection possible and I can get the booster first thing tomorrow morning if I choose.

Thanks y'all!

16 hours ago, keels81 said:

Thanks y'all!

You're already considered fully vaccinated with two shots.  You will be fine.

40 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

There ya go.  If you have any issues that may affect your ability to board on the 2nd, and Carnival decides to go with the wording as written "15 days after the FINAL DOSE", instead of "the second dose" as it should have been worded, you can just explain that an expert on CC said you will be fine.

Boosters weren't authorized when these guidelines were written.  Even now on Pfizer vaccines are authorized to give boosters.  Thus not everyone has access to a booster so in general population terms the FINAL shot is 2 for Pfizer and Moderna and 1 for J&J.  

All should remember that boosters are your decision for your health needs and are not a requirement for any travel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stellarose said:

teachers in DE got the Pfizer in February and are encouraged to get the booster. 

sending your DW good vibes and hope she stays safe. 

Thanks for the good vibes and hope. Once last school year she had to quarantine when one of the 5th graders tested positive and she had her for lunch duty when the student was obviously not masked. Later another time the entire 3rd grade was quarantined, but she was able to avoid it because she was fully vaccinated.

2 hours ago, BroadwayGirl said:

Only Pfizer was approved for boosters outside of the immunocompromised status. Teachers are included in the Pfizer booster plan that was approved last week along with some other categories.  So if she got Moderna, there is no booster for her yet, unless she falls into the immunocompromised category. Moderna has yet to gain approval for wide spread booster usage. 

I asked at the local Walgreens, and they had Pfizer (told me to contact a Walgreens in a neighboring town that had Moderna). I did ask if she could mix Pfizer with Moderna because I believe I saw on the CDC site that though the did not recommend this, it could be done. They said they would not do that.

31 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks for the good vibes and hope. Once last school year she had to quarantine when one of the 5th graders tested positive and she had her for lunch duty when the student was obviously not masked. Later another time the entire 3rd grade was quarantined, but she was able to avoid it because she was fully vaccinated.

tell her that I pray for all teachers, being one myself.

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

tell her that I pray for all teachers, being one myself.

I, a long time ago, was a school board member (not in her district which is a neighbor to our home district). Do school board members (no pay here in NY state), also get included in your prayers?

22 hours ago, keels81 said:

however, with Carnival's wording about requiring proof that you've had the final shot of your vaccine course 15 days prior to sailing, I'm worried that it may affect my ability to board on the 2nd.

I just cruised with Celebrity; I was 12 days from my booster shot. When they looked at my vaccination card while boarding, it wasn’t even mentioned. And I got a negative test 10 days after (my doctor says would definitely not cause false positive).  I know that is Celebrity not Carnival, but I hope that helps.

• Thanks 1