Covid 19 Test Southampton on Princess

el zorro

2 hours ago, 1965 said:

Do you happen to know will we show proof of vaxx prior to boarding flight or not until boarding ship? Just curious.

I think only on the ship but depending on airline they may also require it. Testing is done when you check in. Rapid test. 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:15 PM, el zorro said:

Regal Princess 14 day transatlantic out of Southampton Nov 3, 2021
We are vaccinated…but have been reading about protocol on getting required Covid test prior to embarkation.

There is info that Princess provides the complimentary test at the cruise terminal on day of embarkation.

i also read elsewhere that we should have the test, on our own, two days prior to embarkation.

Does anyone know which it is? Thanks for any info.

You do not need a test two days prior. Only test at the port. If you are in the UK for more than two days you need a test in the UK two days after arrival. Suppose to have your appointment already. $$

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Lets start by getting you over to the Princess board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/119-princess-cruises/

where you will find everything you need to know about Princess.

You will be required, at this time, to test within 48 hours of the sailing date. Last I heard, Princess is not providing the test, but check the Princess board.

Princess providing free test upon check in. You do not need test two days prior. The criteria changed as of October 4. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Goldengal said:

I think only on the ship but depending on airline they may also require it. Testing is done when you check in. Rapid test. 

The UK government requires that everyone arriving in the UK from a "green" country (the US is green),  has to show proof of being fully vaccinated.  It is therefore very likely that the airline will want to see proof of vaccination, because if they carry a passenger who is denied access to the UK due to not being vaccinated,  the airline gets fined. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Goldengal said:

Princess providing free test upon check in. You do not need test two days prior. The criteria changed as of October 4. 

Thanks Goldengal. We arrive the day our cruise departs Southampton, so will be in transit. No day 2 test required, thank goodness. One less hoop to jump thru. 😁

2 hours ago, Billish said:

The UK government requires that everyone arriving in the UK from a "green" country (the US is green),  has to show proof of being fully vaccinated.  It is therefore very likely that the airline will want to see proof of vaccination, because if they carry a passenger who is denied access to the UK due to not being vaccinated,  the airline gets fined. 

Agree, proof required for UK and checked before boarding a flight. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, CCFC said:

We were on the Regal out of Southampton a couple of weeks ago. The test is free and done at the customs hall under the Ocean terminal, lateral flow test with each nostril being swabbed, no back of the throat needed. You then go to the terminal to check in then sit down and wait for a text to come through to say you are negative. Was quite a worrying 25 minute wait but we were ok and on the ship at noon.

But who realistically can take the risk of thousands of pounds and 10 days holiday lost?

1 hour ago, darknightsdespiser said:

But who realistically can take the risk of thousands of pounds and 10 days holiday lost?

Test before leaving for pier. Covid insurance coverage to avoid this 

37 minutes ago, dave_k58 said:

But what about the DAY 2 test that the UK required.  INformation on that is not listed on  princess.com 

They say to check the government requirements which are changing frequently 

Guest Snaxmuppet
On 9/30/2021 at 3:58 PM, dog said:

I’ve checked into this Day 2 test - arrival in UK. 
after Oct 4/21 rapid antigen test ( not PCR) required for green list countries like Canada. To be taken before or on Day 2 of arrival   Day you arrive is Day zero 

On 9/30/2021 at 8:04 PM, dog said:

This just keeps getting more confusing. My trip is March 2022, so I will check to see changes on the government website at that time. 

Crickey! I wouldn't worry about it yet... it will change completely I expect by then 🙂 

On 10/2/2021 at 4:22 AM, Goldengal said:

No. Test at Pier is all that is required and must be vaccinated and have proof. 

Not quite true because if someone arrives in the country several days before they will need a day 2 test.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:55 PM, 1965 said:

Do you happen to know will we show proof of vaxx prior to boarding flight or not until boarding ship? Just curious.

Both I imagine but if you have been fully vaccinated then surely it doesn't matter where you have to prove it... you can whenever asked and that is the only thing that matters 🙂 

On 10/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, Goldengal said:

Depending on how long you are in the UK for before the cruise then you might need a test on day 2.

If you are not in the country for 2 days then I don't know. Sorry.

16 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

But can't we catch "the virus" on the journey?

Yes, of course you can catch the virus even when fully vaccinated and even when on the ship. All this testing is precisely because of that fact. If the vaccine gave us 100% protection then we wouldn't need to be tested once we were fully vaccinated. 🙂 

I have to say that if we are allowed off the ship for self exploring then it makes it all a bit fascicle as we could easily contract covid at a port and then start spreading it 3 or 4 days later. I think I will be being extra careful with the mask wearing and social distancing especially towards the end of the cruise.

1 hour ago, dave_k58 said:

But what about the DAY 2 test that the UK required.  INformation on that is not listed on  princess.com 

The official info is here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Edited by Snaxmuppet

On 10/2/2021 at 8:44 AM, 1965 said:

Thanks Goldengal. We arrive the day our cruise departs Southampton, so will be in transit. No day 2 test required, thank goodness. One less hoop to jump thru. 😁

You are very brave to arrive on embarkation day!

2 minutes ago, nini said:

You might be surprised how many people are arriving in the UK on embarkation day for the Regal and Sky Princess transatlantic cruises. Apparently to not have to book and pay for a Day 2 Covid Test. Regal Princess cruisers can meet the ship across the Channel the next day in Cherbourg if they miss the ship. Sky Princess cruisers would have to wait a couple of days for their ship to get to Ponta Delgada. Hoping nothing like that happens, but we have always spent at least a night in Southampton before a TA.

1 hour ago, nini said:

We have always done that. So far, never a problem. Fingers crossed & knock on wood our good luck continues. 🤞😁✈🛳

3 hours ago, billco said:

Apparently to not have to book and pay for a Day 2 Covid Test. 

Seems amazingly risky, just to avoid paying $60 or so for a Day 2 test.

There have been horrendous delays at Heathrow recently,  for an assortment of reasons,  and four hour waits to pass through Border Control have been common.  

Hubby will fly into LHR at 6:40am so hoping for no issues. I am already here so the way things have been going this year it is likely to be me having issues with the trains! Hoping to meet up at the ship around noon.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, wowzz said:

There have been horrendous delays at Heathrow recently,  for an assortment of reasons,  and four hour waits to pass through Border Control have been common.  

It is not just the 60 pounds there are also the hotel and taxi fares to consider. Yes it is a risk but most flights from the Americas arrive very early and the shuttle guarantees to get you to the ship on time. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 5:57 PM, wowzz said:

If you have a chip passport you can use the automated border control gates.  You scan your passport, get your photo taken,  and you’re done.  Make sure you fill out your PLF stating you’re in transit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

If you have a chip passport you can use the automated border control gates.  You scan your passport, get your photo taken,  and you’re done.  Make sure you fill out your PLF stating you’re in transit.

The problem was that all the electronic gates failed on a number of occasions, leading to absolute chaos.

If you are disabled and need wheelchair assistance thru customs/immigration you will get through much quicker normally but the issue on the day I went thru was the wait for assistance. I was picked up at the gate by a electric cart that took me to a wheelchair access area. I sat there for almost 2 hrs waiting my turn as they were inundated by a huge disabled crowd all arriving at once and were short of staff.

So if you are disabled be aware this could happen again. I was not strapped for time that day but on the 5th my disabled hubby will be needing to get to the Sky shuttle so hoping it will not be the same issue.