Negative Covid Test Required

JimmB

If this helps anyone, I just want to share my communication with  Guest Relations.    I just received confirmation in writing that a NAAT test (like the Abbott ID Now) will be accepted.  I can get it at my local Walgreens.  If this is offered in your area, it has a quick turnaround.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We have discussed this thoroughly on our roll call for the TA Nov. 29 on the Sea out of Barcelona. We have spoken with a Viking agent and received verification in writing that we only need to do ONE test within 72 hours before our first flight on Nov. 26. We are testing Nov. 23 and have confirmation from Viking that that is sufficient.

Would love to see that....after long phone call with apparently a different agent, I was told that if I was not going directly from the airport to the ship and had booked my flights independent of Viking, I would require a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding the ship.  Even though the new Oct 28 protocol sheet has contradictory paragraphs.

Yes, someone is making this up.  The agent says "well, we are just following government requirements".  At which point I said "and your rules are different than that for Spain".  And he says "Well, that's all we have to go by".

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We have discussed this thoroughly on our roll call for the TA Nov. 29 on the Sea out of Barcelona. We have spoken with a Viking agent and received verification in writing that we only need to do ONE test within 72 hours before our first flight on Nov. 26. We are testing Nov. 23 and have confirmation from Viking that that is sufficient.

Oh my, based on this and the two different responses below for Florida sailings it seems like Viking’s policies are caught in a testing vortex and spinning out of control😏.  On the plus side, neither of these two trips require the passenger to be tested in order to enter the country which has a much greater consequence than showing up to the ship with something Viking says it needs to board you .   It will be interesting to see what that final instructions email says . 

I would just be brining a copy of the email showing it was OK to do what you did and let them work it out. 

12 minutes ago, vslparis said:

I would just be brining a copy of the email showing it was OK to do what you did and let them work it out. 

My thoughts exactly!  And I have many such emails.  With all this turmoil I am truly surprised that there are any passengers out there on Viking ships right now.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, SeaDazer26 said:

If this helps anyone, I just want to share my communication with  Guest Relations.    I just received confirmation in writing that a NAAT test (like the Abbott ID Now) will be accepted.  I can get it at my local Walgreens.  If this is offered in your area, it has a quick turnaround.  

Are you embarking in the US?  And if so, when, where, which ship?  In our area, the ID Now test is about the only thing we can get that will give us results within 48 hours if in fact we can't use an antigen test.

Edited by zelker

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

My thoughts exactly!  And I have many of them.  With all this turmoil I am truly surprised that there are any passengers out there on Viking ships right now.

I also think that some passengers are getting a little too worked up about this though. Perhaps leaning towards the within 72 hours of departure rather than within 72 hours of boarding the ship since the testing can be done in the US . Of course imagine  that all of them are arriving more than 3 days before the cruise  . Maybe not , and I don’t mean to disparage anyone’s choices, just think that maybe we all need to take a deep breath here. . 

I have my own thoughts as to what I would have my clients do or what I would do myself. 

Also meant to clarify that the no Covid test needed to enter Spain and Florida is for US passengers . UK and some others do need the test.

29 minutes ago, SeaDazer26 said:

It is and I planned to get it, until the PCR requirement showed up again yesterday. I just got off the phone with a “supervisor” and he actually pulled up the document dated Oct 28 that has the two conflicting sections on the same page. He was amazed and said that needed to be fixed immediately. He said that the NAAT or antigen test would be ok. I don’t have it in writing but may try to get written verification. 

• Like 1

Just now, Australia08 said:

He said that the NAAT or antigen test would be ok. I don’t have it in writing but may try to get written verification. 

I DO have it in writing.  And my agent went through to Viking’s health and safety supervisor.  But I, too, would like to have a document that’s consistent within.  After my discussion yesterday, I was hoping to see the Oct. 28 document revised today—but no.

38 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I DO have it in writing.  And my agent went through to Viking’s health and safety supervisor.  But I, too, would like to have a document that’s consistent within.  After my discussion yesterday, I was hoping to see the Oct. 28 document revised today—but no.

And I just got an email from Viking that is all about the requirements for the cruise (not just Covid) with a link that points me to - you guessed it - the dreaded October 28th document.  SMH

Is it in writing from your agent or the Health & Safety Supervisor?  

42 minutes ago, SeaDazer26 said:

I should have mentioned that the NAAT test is ok for US departure.  I’m going out of Fort Lauderdale next week.  

And, I agree… I most definitely will have the printed email along with my test results along with me! 

Would you be willing to email it to me so I can produce a copy at embarkation too?

2 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Hope springs eternal.

Guess what.  They just fixed it!  Dated Oct. 29.  I guess the squeaking wheel does get greased!  For US embarkation:

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP IN THE US (CDC REQUIREMENT):
4. Proof of negative COVID-19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

Thank you so much for posting this. For us the PCR test is $200pp whereas the antigen is just $20pp...a big difference.

We sail on Jan 2. So need to do the antigen test on Dec 31. Everything closes around us by noon that day and stays closed on Jan 1. So it will be interesting to get an early appointment on the 31st.

Amazing the hoops we need to jump through to get to cruise. But understood. 

Again, thank you for posting the most recent Viking requirements. 

1 hour ago, zelker said:

1 hour ago, zelker said:

But wait!!  I just noticed that the link to the PDF says FINAL in the title

Sorry, but they have all said final in the PDF file.  I know because I have saved each one to my Panama file,  but still good news.  

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Any bets as to how long it stays this way??!!??  LOL

Thanks for the heads' up!!

But wait!!  I just noticed that the link to the PDF says FINAL in the title ... 🤣

14-211029-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf (vikingcruises.com)

It's final until they say it isn't.  This hysteresis reminds me of the Army.  No one really knows what's going on until the suspense date passes.  After that, no one cares.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Sorry, but they have all said final in the PDF file.  I know because I have saved each one to my Panama file,  but still good news.  

They do????  I didn't save any of them, just the one today.  You just burst my bubble.  😉

20 minutes ago, zelker said:

They do????  I didn't save any of them, just the one today.  You just burst my bubble.  😉

Afraid so. Here are the "...FINAL..." file names for each version of the "United States Pre-Cruise Requirements" document so far.

Oct 5, 1st version: 14-21005-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf

Oct 5, 2nd version: 14-21005-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINALv2.pdf

Oct 18 version: 14-211018-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf

Oct 28 version: 14-211028-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf

Oct 29 version: 14-211029-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-UnitedStates_US_CA_FINAL.pdf

I'll be glad to provide a revision history if anyone is interested in those details at this point.

Edited by bluemarble

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

I'm wondering how much of the confusion is Viking covering all bases for all nationalities and destinations on their main websites, versus more specific info after booking? 

Nope - there's confusion on the specific itineraries.  At one time MVJ had the language about independent travelers needing a 2nd PCR test in Barcelona (our embarkation port) while the Viking web site for our cruise had no mention of independent travel, and only required the 72-hour PCR test before the first flight.

10 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Nope - there's confusion on the specific itineraries.  At one time MVJ had the language about independent travelers needing a 2nd PCR test in Barcelona (our embarkation port) while the Viking web site for our cruise had no mention of independent travel, and only required the 72-hour PCR test before the first flight.

Our itinerary still has conflicting requirements - MVJ doesn’t reflect the 10/29 posting in resources on the public web site. I assume this will be cleared up before our 12/20 embarkation, but I have appointments for both tests to be sure.

Things are changing daily...just not sure how anyone can keep informed and do what is required without missing some step or some new version.

With so many different rules for ports, countries, cruise lines etc...this confusion will put many people off cruising.