Negative Covid Test Required

JimmB

From Viking website:

To sail with Viking, guests will need to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination. In order to verify the vaccination status of our guests, we have partnered with VeriFLY™, a secure digital credentials company. Prior to travel, guests will be required to submit a digital copy of their CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card through the VeriFLY mobile app. Guests should bring their card with them, as airlines, destinations or businesses often require proof of vaccination to be presented.

43 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

From Viking website:

To sail with Viking, guests will need to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccination. In order to verify the vaccination status of our guests, we have partnered with VeriFLY™, a secure digital credentials company. Prior to travel, guests will be required to submit a digital copy of their CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card through the VeriFLY mobile app. Guests should bring their card with them, as airlines, destinations or businesses often require proof of vaccination to be presented.

Yes, I read that too which is why I questioned why a fellow poster advised against using the original in my lanyard.

Maybe this has been explained in one of the previous responses but I am confused by what I have read so far. 

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale on Thanksgiving Nov 25th for our Nov 26 Panama Canal CRUISE. 

WHEN should I schedule our test at our primary clinic.  We live 8 city block form it and trust their work.  However they are suggesting that we have the test on Monday Nov 22 so to receive the results on Weds Nov 24th.  Will that be too soon as I stated very confused by the many emails already received regarding this subject.

Is anyone else on this cruise facing the same worries?

Thanks in advance

Steve (Cruising in my mind)

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Yes, I read that too which is why I questioned why a fellow poster advised against using the original in my lanyard.

I will be bringing my original in a lanyard, plus a photo in my phone, plus a paper copy in my backpack/carryon, plus a letter from the clinic where we got the shot. Our medical clinic/state/health dept. will easily replace the original if needed. YMMV.

2 hours ago, kjbacon said:

That was me and the only reason I suggested against carrying it in your lanyard is because it seems like an easy way to lose things hanging off your body like that.  We carry our important documents (Passports, vax cards, etc.) in our carryon bag and have photocopies in our checked bag.  If you feel comfortable carrying that kind of thing around your neck, that's great.  

7 minutes ago, zelker said:

That was me and the only reason I suggested against carrying it in your lanyard is because it seems like an easy way to lose things hanging off your body like that.  We carry our important documents (Passports, vax cards, etc.) in our carryon bag and have photocopies in our checked bag.  If you feel comfortable carrying that kind of thing around your neck, that's great.  

I put the lanyard in my purse.

• Like 1

Don't forget that we will also have to upload our vaccine cards into VeriFLY so Viking will already have them prior to embarkation ... but we still need the original to board.

(we're 30 days out today so can upload ours starting at 6:00 PM tonight according to the VeriFLY message on our account)

5 hours ago, Cruising in my mind said:

Maybe this has been explained in one of the previous responses but I am confused by what I have read so far. 

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale on Thanksgiving Nov 25th for our Nov 26 Panama Canal CRUISE. 

WHEN should I schedule our test at our primary clinic.  We live 8 city block form it and trust their work.  However they are suggesting that we have the test on Monday Nov 22 so to receive the results on Weds Nov 24th.  Will that be too soon as I stated very confused by the many emails already received regarding this subject.

Is anyone else on this cruise facing the same worries?

Thanks in advance

Steve (Cruising in my mind)

Hi Steve,

We are on the Nov. 26 cruise also.  Also very confused by the mixed messaging on tests from Viking.  I had a long conversation with a Viking agent on the phone yesterday.  She spoke with a supervisor to make sure the info she gave me was correct.  The testing information on MVW and in the email we received from Viking on Oct.12 (did you get that email?) is not the correct information for our cruise.  She said to disregard the 72 hour, PCR only testing requirement.  On the Viking website under the Resource button for our cruise is where to find the correct information: 

Important Information for Your Cruise:  Proof of negative covid/NAAT or antigen test.  If traveling from US/Canada taken no more than 2 days prior to boarding your ship.

The agent also said to be sure and check the website a week before embarkation and even call Viking to make sure nothing had changed.

Thus we are going to get both the PCR and antigen test on Nov. 24----2 days prior to boarding.  We fly into FLL on the 25th as you do.  I assume the PCR results won't be back by the 26th with Thanksgiving holiday in between.  I believe that all antigen tests give rapid results.

That is all I know----but guess requirements could change anytime.  Call Viking customer service and see what testing advice you get.  Let me know if anything differs from what I was told. 😀

Jan

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Thus we are going to get both the PCR and antigen test on Nov. 24----2 days prior to boarding.  We fly into FLL on the 25th as you do.  I assume the PCR results won't be back by the 26th with Thanksgiving holiday in between.  I believe that all antigen tests give rapid results.

Jan - we board in FLL on Nov. 17th and I was told the same thing by Guest Relations a couple days ago.  Curious though why you plan to get both tests?

Just now, zelker said:

Jan - we board in FLL on Nov. 17th and I was told the same thing by Guest Relations a couple days ago.  Curious though why you plan to get both tests?

We would rather have the PCR test, as recommended most accurate, but doubt that the results will be back in two days prior to boarding.  Thanksgiving holiday lies in between the day of the test and boarding.  Therefore we will also get the antigen test which should give rapid results.  I guess just covering all bases.  

• Like 1

We just uploaded our Covid Proof of Vaccine cards into VeriFLY (we're 30 days out from embarking) and wanted to share the message that came up after everything was approved and we're officially "ready to travel" ... it says:

Thank you for completing the VeriFLY vaccination certification process.  Please review the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com.  We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

• Like 1

My wife and I used the Curative lab service offered by the Martin County FL Health Department. PCR test, results in under 24 hours via text and email.

Curative also provides services to Broward County Health (Fort Lauderdale) and has a kiosk at the court house parking lot.

8 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

My wife and I used the Curative lab service offered by the Martin County FL Health Department. PCR test, results in under 24 hours via text and email.

Curative also provides services to Broward County Health (Fort Lauderdale) and has a kiosk at the court house parking lot.

Have never heard of Curative but apparently they have a testing facility within 15 minutes of our house.  Did they accept insurance or did you have to pay?

We did not have to pay anything out of pocket.  There was a sign saying that, if you had insurance, they would bill the insurance. Otherwise it was free.

Curative apparently has outpatient facilities in many Florida locations and --may-- host some of the pharmacy lab programs, too.

My sister visited a different location in Palm Beach County on Friday. They did a 48 hour turnaround, she received her results by text on Sunday morning. 

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

We did not have to pay anything out of pocket.  There was a sign saying that, if you had insurance, they would bill the insurance. Otherwise it was free.

Curative apparently has outpatient facilities in many Florida locations and --may-- host some of the pharmacy lab programs, too.

My sister visited a different location in Palm Beach County on Friday. They did a 48 hour turnaround, she received her results by text on Sunday morning. 

We're in Colorado.  I'm going to call them to see what the deal is here.  Thx.

Just received this email from Viking for our 11-17-21 cruise out of FLL.  No mention of BinaxNow home test being accepted or not but regardless, I'd say this IS the definitive confirmation for anyone embarking in the US.

-------------

Panama Canal & The Pacific Coast
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Los Angeles, California

19OCT2021

Dear Viking Guest,

As you prepare to embark on your journey, we would like to take a moment to clarify the pre-cruise requirements for cruises embarking in the United States.

Earlier this month, you received a notification about the Viking Health & Safety Program's 72-hour PCR test requirement. However, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) regulations require that passengers embarking cruise ships in the U.S. present a negative PCR or antigen test taken 2-days before embarkation.

The test taken to meet the CDC requirement (PCR or antigen) will fulfill Viking's 72-hour PCR test requirement. There is no need for any additional COVID-19 testing before your voyage. We recognize that PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 and Viking's diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. However, because the CDC guidelines allow for antigen testing, Viking has made a policy exception for voyages leaving from the U.S. and will accept antigen test results.

Additionally, to ensure your vaccination certification is processed well ahead of your departure, complies with CDC requirements and to avoid any delay, please complete your VeriFLY Vaccine Certification as soon as possible. You'll find detailed instructions here.

For a complete list of all pre-cruise requirements and to be sure you are well prepared for your journey, please consult our Pre-cruise Requirements found here.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Sincerely,

Viking

• Like 1

Covid testing in Atlanta area

We got our Covid test at Piedmont Urgent Care Clinic.  Had to wait about 1 hour, but we left with hard copy of test results signed and dated by the doctor.  Also Zero cost with our Medicare  and Tri-care for Life cards.

Had to show Vaccination card at all restaurants even in the hotels.

7 hours ago, MSEm said:

Covid testing in Atlanta area

We got our Covid test at Piedmont Urgent Care Clinic.  Had to wait about 1 hour, but we left with hard copy of test results signed and dated by the doctor.  Also Zero cost with our Medicare  and Tri-care for Life cards.

Had to show Vaccination card at all restaurants even in the hotels.

Thank you MSEm for sharing your experience.  We are researching testing options for a December cruise and it looks like Piedmont has a facility with same day results right by our dogs boarding facility.  Two birds, one stone.  Will be calling to confirm we can get appointments closer to leaving.  Thanks again.  

On 10/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, zelker said:

I'd say this IS the definitive confirmation for anyone embarking in the US.

As of today, Oct. 28, Viking has again updated its requirements for US departures.  It seems they will no longer accept antigen tests, and now want a PCR test 2 days before embarkation.  

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP IN THE US (CDC REQUIREMENT):
4. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR test, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

We have appointments for antigen tests on the way to the airport, which is two days before embarkation.  I have no idea how we can get PCR test results in 2 days.  I am getting so tired of this!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

As of today, Oct. 28, Viking has again updated its requirements for US departures.  It seems they will no longer accept antigen tests, and now want a PCR test 2 days before embarkation.  

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS TO TRAVEL ON BOARD A CRUISE SHIP IN THE US (CDC REQUIREMENT):
4. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR test, taken no more than two (2) days prior to boarding your ship.

We have appointments for antigen tests on the way to the airport, which is two days before embarkation.  I have no idea how we can get PCR test results in 2 days.  I am getting so tired of this!

Sadly, I know and just shared it on our November 17th Orion Roll call.  BUT, did you notice that further down the same page of this new PDF dated 10/28/21 it still shows the PCR/Antigen test required no more than two days out??  So we're back to the contradictory statements on one document, too.  

Just now, zelker said:

Sadly, I know and just shared it on our November 17th Orion Roll call.  BUT, did you notice that further down the same page of this new PDF dated 10/28/21 it still shows the PCR/Antigen test required no more than two days out??  So we're back to the contradictory statements on one document, too.  

Yes, I did see that.  I have another email into VIking.  I want a written answer.  Someone screwed up somewhere.  How does one get PCR results in 2 days.  I will be at the hotel in FLL awaiting transfer to the ship 2 days after the test.  And our hospital is notorious for dragging behind with results,  I have no idea what we will do.  I can get a PCR test in 72 hours before first flight just fine, but not 2 days before embarkation.  

21 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, I did see that.  I have another email into VIking.  I want a written answer.  Someone screwed up somewhere.  How does one get PCR results in 2 days.  I will be at the hotel in FLL awaiting transfer to the ship 2 days after the test.  And our hospital is notorious for dragging behind with results,  I have no idea what we will do.  I can get a PCR test in 72 hours before first flight just fine, but not 2 days before embarkation.  

Check around the airports.  According to this site, you can get Rapid PCR results within 45 minutes at FLL.  https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/advisories/pages/default.aspx

We are flying to London from the West Coast which basically ties up two days for travel.  We also are flying in the day before for possible flight delays.  Now to board the Vikings cruise I’ve had to add an extra day in London to be sure we can be tested once we arrive to be within Vikings time period.  Sigh!

1 minute ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Check around the airports.  According to this site, you can get Rapid PCR results within 45 minutes at FLL.

I’m not crazy about the idea of flying to FLL and then being tested.  If it were to come back positive, we would have to quarantine.  But thanks for this.  If we have to, we will do it that way. 

3 hours ago, zelker said:

And to further confuse things - the actual CDC revised order - per the web link of said 10/28 pdf - says 3 days for cruisers fully vaccinated:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

I had a long productive conversation with Viking customer Service, and a short written conversation with Viking customer service saying antigen test is still accepted for US embarkation.  I hope to see the Oct. 28 memo amended soon.  The telephone conversation was quite apologetic and even annoyed that such a mistake happened.  Said a memo went out this morning, saying either or PCR or antigen.  But he said to keep checking, which I do every day.  And now have a reservation for both tests.  Will do one or the other, but no guarantee of results in two days for the PCR.  

• Like 2