Special restaurant menus for Christmas and New Years?

kjbacon

We are taking the Hawaiian Sojourn cruise over the holidays, can’t wait! It’s been 5 years since we have been on Viking and 2 years since we have been on any cruise. It’s so nice to be planning and daydreaming again. Do any of the restaurants serve special holiday fare for Christmas or New Years? Thank you,

• Like 1

I haven't been on board for Christmas but I have done 3 NYE cruises. No special menus for NYE dinner but a nice party in the Atrium starting after dinner. The last time we cruised NYE, the party spread to the pool deck with simulcast from the Atrium and there was also a HUGE New Year's day brunch around the pool.  The kitchen crew went all out.

• Like 1

Thanks, Peregrina, that sounds like so much fun. I cannot wait for this trip! I’m inclined to think that if there’s a special Christmas menu that it would be in The Restaurant and not in one of the specialties. Does that seem likely to you too?

11 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Thanks, Peregrina, that sounds like so much fun. I cannot wait for this trip! I’m inclined to think that if there’s a special Christmas menu that it would be in The Restaurant and not in one of the specialties. Does that seem likely to you too?

MDR and buffet serve pretty much the same menu each night (although no sushi/seafood bar in the MDR😉), so if there is a holiday special it should probably be available in both venues. My guess is the CT will keep to its menus and that Manfredi's might add a holiday specific special to the regular offering.

Sorry, I only skimmed your original post. We are on the same cruise. Come join the roll call.  We have over twenty people on board already and we are always happy to add one more to the conversation.

19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

MDR and buffet serve pretty much the same menu each night (although no sushi/seafood bar in the MDR😉), so if there is a holiday special it should probably be available in both venues. My guess is the CT will keep to its menus and that Manfredi's might add a holiday specific special to the regular offering.

Sorry, I only skimmed your original post. We are on the same cruise. Come join the roll call.  We have over twenty people on board already and we are always happy to add one more to the conversation.

Just joined the roll call, thank you! It will be nice to meet in person.

• Like 1

We were on board for Christmas 2019 sailing Bali to Sydney.  While Viking had the ship decorated in the typical understated Norwegian way, and several Holiday concerts in the Living Room area, they did not have a “special “ Christmas dinner in the MDR or anywhere else on the ship , just the usual great choices . 

16 minutes ago, vslparis said:

We were on board for Christmas 2019 sailing Bali to Sydney.  While Viking had the ship decorated in the typical understated Norwegian way, and several Holiday concerts in the Living Room area, they did not have a “special “ Christmas dinner in the MDR or anywhere else on the ship , just the usual great choices . 

We were on board Christmas 2019 as well, but off the coast of South America!  Nicely decorated and a wonderful Christmas Carole singing in the Atrium.   We had Christmas and New Years Dinner at the Main Dining Room - Excellent Prime Rib and Yorkshire pudding!!

• Like 1

We cruises the Amazon over Christmas and new year’s several years ago. Christmas wasn’t much different but New Year’s was great. First time we’ve been on a Viking trip where my husband wore tie and jacket and I wore a cocktail dress. 

5 hours ago, dcl999 said:

Viking trip where my husband wore tie and jacket and I wore a cocktail dress. 

Although not required. It is guests' choice just how dressed up they wish to be.  Some people took advantage and dressed to the nines, others were happy in their normal evening apparel and everyone sported their "I'm so glad to be be celebrating on Viking" happy faces to dance the night away.

This group liked being dressed up:

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

A year later, a very different vibe

New Year's Day brunch welcoming in 2019. I believe that all of these flowers are actually fruits and vegetables.

• Like 2

On our two New Year cruises, with a third coming up, most people did make an extra effort on New Year's Eve.  In fact a few mainly young people went the full black tie/evening dress combination which was lovely to see.

In the photo on the stairs (I sat in the very same spot) most men seem to have jackets on.

Whilst I am definitely not a fan of Formal Nights surely just a little sparkle on New Year's Eve makes it special.

On 10/13/2021 at 8:43 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

In the photo on the stairs (I sat in the very same spot) most men seem to have jackets on.

Whilst I am definitely not a fan of Formal Nights surely just a little sparkle on New Year's Eve makes it special.

I agree with you - not a fan of formal nights at all, but maybe I would dress up a bit on NYE !   We're currently debating whether to book the Rome-Barcelona cruise that I think you're on, but are thinking of sandwiching it between Athens-Rome  and  Barcelona-Tilbury.   Not quite decided, and the rising Covid numbers in UK are making us wonder if other countries will allow us in!

• 2 weeks later...

In Nov 2019 we were cruising with Viking Ocean.  They did not make a "big deal" of Thanksgiving, but roast turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce was on the Lunch Buffet and dinner menu on T-day.

5 hours ago, Azulann said:

I would hope that Mamsen's would have  lots of Norwegian Christmas coffee cakes  and cookies! 

We were on Viking Sea for the Amazon cruise over Christmas and New Years 2019/2020. Mamsen’s had the usual fare. There was a lovely display of gingerbread houses in the Atrium, but that was about it. We were disappointed that there was no special brunch on Christmas Day since it was a sea day.