Hamburg

Cruiseforever11

We are visiting Hamburg on our cruise beginning of Dec and so far MSC haven't put in a shuttle service to the city for those who want to do their own thing. So asking for anyone who has been to Hamburg any advise/tips would be great and if anyone has been to any of the many Christmas markets which ones are worth visiting.

How far is the port to the city centre? Is it within walking distance? Is there a free shuttle service from the port? Thank you in advance ☺

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you can 'do your own thing'. MSC is still strickly 'stay within your bubble', meaning that you can only go ashore via a MSC excursion. I do hope this restriction will be let go off asap, but no news so far. If you are lucky and they'll let you do you own thing in december, then there are different options in Hamburg. First of all, there are three cruise ports in Hamburg. One is very close to the centre (Bakenhoft), one other quite far away (Altona), the third one is across the river (Steinwerder, it's not used very often). When I arrived with MSC in the Altena terminal, the port authority offered a free bus service to the centre. We used it when leaving the ship, but on our way back we used public transport. There is an S-bahn station some 20 minutes away on foot (including stairs).

34 minutes ago, sealynx said:

I'm not sure if you can 'do your own thing'. MSC is still strickly 'stay within your bubble', meaning that you can only go ashore via a MSC excursion. I do hope this restriction will be let go off asap, but no news so far. If you are lucky and they'll let you do you own thing in december, then there are different options in Hamburg. First of all, there are three cruise ports in Hamburg. One is very close to the centre (Bakenhoft), one other quite far away (Altona), the third one is across the river (Steinwerder, it's not used very often). When I arrived with MSC in the Altena terminal, the port authority offered a free bus service to the centre. We used it when leaving the ship, but on our way back we used public transport. There is an S-bahn station some 20 minutes away on foot (including stairs).

Hi thank you for your info lets hope we pull into Altena one then at least we have option to use the free bus or walk to the station. 

I called msc before I booked this cruise if we were allowed to do our own thing as we wanted to look round the Xmas markets. So I have booked 2 excursions for Amsterdam & Bruges with msc where they transfer you to the centres then we go off do our own thing. There would of been no point us doing the cruise otherwise. Having said that who know what's going to happen between now and then with our government. Thank you again 😊

Edited by Cruiseforever11

As Hamburg is the home port of the MSC Magnifica and all other ports are interporting only it´s pretty likely that the ship will be at Steinwerder.

On weekdays there´s a ferry going over the Elbe river at Argentinienbrücke.  Or you walk to the Elbe river and cross it through the tunnel. There´s also a bus going to the Elbe tunnel.

Altona and Bakenhöft are only used for smaller ships. Steinwerder is the main cruise terminal.

steamboats

When we did a similar cruise on Magnifica in 2018 we docked at Altona, no free shuttle then but there was a bus stop right outside the terminal to catch the public bus into the centre.

6 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

So asking for anyone who has been to Hamburg any advise/tips would be great

They have this amazing sandwich you have to try. It’s basically ground beef formed into a patty, cooked on a grill and served on a round bun. I forget what they call it but it’s so tasty. /chefkiss. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We sailed from Hamburg on Orchestra a couple of years ago, we departed from Altona. Preziosa was also sailing from Hamburg at the time but was using Steinwerder.

We had a few days in Hamburg post cruise, a quiet city but very pretty. 

Thank you. I've just check my booking again  to see if it tells me anywhere where the ship is going to dock and it looks like it will be Steinwerder. I'm looking forward to visiting we roughly have 9hrs so a good day to really explore. 

12 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Hi thank you for your info lets hope we pull into Altena one then at least we have option to use the free bus or walk to the station. 

I called msc before I booked this cruise if we were allowed to do our own thing as we wanted to look round the Xmas markets. So I have booked 2 excursions for Amsterdam & Bruges with msc where they transfer you to the centres then we go off do our own thing. There would of been no point us doing the cruise otherwise. Having said that who know what's going to happen between now and then with our government. Thank you again 😊

Can we get off on our own then Suzanne? I never gave that a thought when I booked today as I’ve done 2 RCL cruises recently and they have no restrictions except in Italian ports.

Just now, CaroleC said:

Can we get off on our own then Suzanne? I never gave that a thought when I booked today as I’ve done 2 RCL cruises recently and they have no restrictions except in Italian ports.

Spooky 👻 I have just responded to your cruise in Dec! Yes we can get off I've booked 2 excursions with msc and they are for fully jab people and they can go off on their own.

Here is the Bruges one we booked.

Screenshot_20211021-220540_Chrome.jpg

5 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Spooky 👻 I have just responded to your cruise in Dec! Yes we can get off I've booked 2 excursions with msc and they are for fully jab people and they can go off on their own.

Yep, definitely having a blond moment as I forgot to include your quote in my above post 🤦‍♀️

4 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

Yep, definitely having a blond moment as I forgot to include your quote in my above post 🤦‍♀️

😁 I did ask msc before I booked this cruise as we weren't going to book it if we couldn't do our own thing.

4 hours ago, sidari said:

On Preziosa we docked at Steinwerder and had to take a taxi into Hamburg and back to the ship, be sure to visit Minitur Wonderland especially if you have kids with you, videos on youtube.

Thank you Sidari I will look it up. It sounds fun. My booking say we are docking at Steinwerder so a few options Taxi and Steamboats post mention a couple of ways to get about too even by foot.

22 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

So I have booked 2 excursions for Amsterdam & Bruges with msc where they transfer you to the centres then we go off do our own thing.

Is the cruise going to Amsterdam itself, or the remote open sea port of IJmuiden? If the first, you don't really need an excursion to go to the centre, it is on walking distance (just go west towards the train station and then through the station and your already almost there). If the latter, the choice of an excursion is a wise one. You don't want to stay in IJmuiden. Just like you don't want to stay in Zeebrugge, so opting for a excursion to Bruges is also wise.

1 minute ago, sealynx said:

Is the cruise going to Amsterdam itself, or the remote open sea port of IJmuiden? If the first, you don't really need an excursion to go to the centre, it is on walking distance (just go west towards the train station and then through the station and your already almost there). If the latter, the choice of an excursion is a wise one. You don't want to stay in IJmuiden. Just like you don't want to stay in Zeebrugge, so opting for a excursion to Bruges is also wise.

Yes the cruise docks in Ijumulden and we have booked msc excursion.

9 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Wow, that looks hopeful. Their website still says you can only go on bubble excursions, where you will not be in contact with people from outside their strict safety measures. I so hope their website hasn't been updated properly yet.

6 minutes ago, sealynx said:

Wow, that looks hopeful. Their website still says you can only go on bubble excursions, where you will not be in contact with people from outside their strict safety measures. I so hope their website hasn't been updated properly yet.

I did call msc as no point booking it if we couldn't do own thing. They have the same thing for Amsterdam which I've booked and this morning I've notice they have added a Christmas market excursion for fully vaccinated guest to Gut Basthorst just outside Hamburg.

20 hours ago, steamboats said:

As Hamburg is the home port of the MSC Magnifica and all other ports are interporting only it´s pretty likely that the ship will be at Steinwerder.

On weekdays there´s a ferry going over the Elbe river at Argentinienbrücke.  Or you walk to the Elbe river and cross it through the tunnel. There´s also a bus going to the Elbe tunnel.

Altona and Bakenhöft are only used for smaller ships. Steinwerder is the main cruise terminal.

steamboats

Do you know where the ferry docks on the Hamburg side? Thanks.

4 hours ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

Yes the cruise docks in Ijumulden and we have booked msc excursion.

We did the Amsterdam on your own trip which included the bus to Amsterdam from Ijumuiden.

At Zeebrugge we took the Tram from near the port to one of the Seaside towns called Blankenburge.

5 hours ago, kernow said:

Do you know where the ferry docks on the Hamburg side? Thanks.

It´s line 73 from Ernst-August-Schleuse (you board at Argentinienbrücke) to Landungsbrücken and back again. But it only runs Monday til Friday, not on weekends. It´s a 10 min walk from the terminal building.

There usually is also a shuttle bus directly from the Steinwerder Cruise Terminal to the suburban train (line S1, stop Veddel) which gets you downtown. The shuttle bus is 2.50 Euro single ride but according to the website it currently doesn´t operate.

Bus line is 156 from Argentinienbrücke to Steinwerder (Alter Elbtunnel). There you walk through the old tunnel underneath the Elbe river over to Landungsbrücken. It´s a historic building and a very interesting walk.

steamboats

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, steamboats said:

It´s line 73 from Ernst-August-Schleuse (you board at Argentinienbrücke) to Landungsbrücken and back again. But it only runs Monday til Friday, not on weekends. It´s a 10 min walk from the terminal building.

There usually is also a shuttle bus directly from the Steinwerder Cruise Terminal to the suburban train (line S1, stop Veddel) which gets you downtown. The shuttle bus is 2.50 Euro single ride but according to the website it currently doesn´t operate.

Bus line is 156 from Argentinienbrücke to Steinwerder (Alter Elbtunnel). There you walk through the old tunnel underneath the Elbe river over to Landungsbrücken. It´s a historic building and a very interesting walk.

steamboats

Thanks for such detailed info. The walk through the tunnel sounds good and I believe Landungsbrucken is somewhere near the Hard Rock Cafe. If we manage to get there I'm definitely in need of a new T Shirt!

• Like 1