Anyone experiencing poor dining aboard?

SFSailaway

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Meals in the Crown Grill and Sabitinis have been good, and we intend to eat in them for the rest of the cruise, if we can get reservations.

Mrs. XBGuy and I regularly dine in the specialty restaurants.  Once you visit a restaurant for the first time, it is pretty easy to get a future reservation.  As you are leaving after finishing your meal, be sure to stop and chat with the headwaiter,  Tell him you, very much, enjoyed the dining experienc in his room and that he should compliment the dining room staff and the kitchen staff.  Then ask about a reservation for a subsequent evening.  Not only will you get a reservation, but he might suggest that if you are a little flexible in your timing, he'll make sure you get one of the better tables,  (Mrs. XBGuy insists that some tables are better than others.  Frankly, I don't get it.  😉)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Mrs. XBGuy and I regularly dine in the specialty restaurants.  Once you visit a restaurant for the first time, it is pretty easy to get a future reservation.  As you are leaving after finishing your meal, be sure to stop and chat with the headwaiter,  Tell him you, very much, enjoyed the dining experienc in his room and that he should compliment the dining room staff and the kitchen staff.  Then ask about a reservation for a subsequent evening.  Not only will you get a reservation, but he might suggest that if you are a little flexible in your timing, he'll make sure you get one of the better tables,  (Mrs. XBGuy insists that some tables are better than others.  Frankly, I don't get it.  😉)

Well in some restaurants there are tables next to windows which some prefer and others don't

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

All I can say is that the buffet offering is not as good as on previous Princess cruises. Heck, it's not even as good as on our last P&O cruise !

Meals in the Crown Grill and Sabitinis have been good, and we intend to eat in them for the rest of the cruise, if we can get reservations.

Alfredo's looks pretty souless, so we avoid.

Good luck our meal in Crown Grill was not up to usual standard...we sent our steaks back!

5 hours ago, fabby50 said:

We were on the first cruise of the Grand this year.  One of my happy discoveries was the change to the buffet since the pandemic.  I liked the little individual servings of salads, fruit, vegetables, etc.  for lunch.  I liked the little cheese trays with the nuts and dried fruit, the small sandwiches, just really liked the new set up.  A couple of times I got a big bowl of salad greens from the salad lady and then dumped various small container concoctions on top for a great salad.  I would eat a different roll every day.  I much preferred it to the large serving bowls that everyone dipped out of.  They still had a hot line with servers, but I've never been impressed with that food, no matter what cruise line we've traveled on and tend to avoid it.

I forgot - on the hot side, they had these little steamer containers one day with dumplings and peanut sauce.  I could have eaten 20 of those, but the individual serving container helped me control myself 🙂

I agree with you I like the new buffet..small serving dishes and being served .no large bowls that everyone dips into...much more hygienic. I also feel the buffet is much more civalised and a much more pleasant experience 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bellagiio said:

Good luck our meal in Crown Grill was not up to usual standard...we sent our steaks back!

Just a personal opinion.

The MDR meals are very average, so we will eat elsewhere. 

Only you can decide where to eat.

My steak was great but a little raw. One minute on the grill and it was fine.

Edited by wowzz

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just a personal opinion.

The MDR meals are very average, so we will eat elsewhere. 

Only you can decide where to eat.

My steak was great but a little raw. One minute on the grill and it was fine.

Better to be a little under than over, as you cannot correct the latter!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, XBGuy said:

(Mrs. XBGuy insists that some tables are better than others.  Frankly, I don't get it.  😉)

The Mrs has it right on the ships where they have a band playing right outside the restaurant at dinner time.  We ask for a table towards the inside or at the back.

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The Mrs has it right on the ships where they have a band playing right outside the restaurant at dinner time.  We ask for a table towards the inside or at the back.

I guess my tongue was not jammed far enough into my cheek when I made that comment.  I need a "just kidding" emoji.

You are, of course absolutely correct.  On the Royal Princess the Crown Grill is attached to the Wheelhouse Bar.  One evening we had a Crown Grill reservation and were shown to a table that was, for all intents and purposes, in the Wheelhouse Bar.  To make matters a bit more uncomfortable, there was a singer performing.  Frankly, I thought she was terrible.  We never even sat down.  We asked for a different table.  It took a few minutes we were shown another table--somewhat farther from the Wheelhouse Bar but still within earshot of the singer.  We were one and done with the Crown Grill on that cruise,

Our experience at Sabatini's during the same cruise, however, was completely different.  On our first visit, we immediately hit it off with the headwaiter, Franco.  He quickly learned that I was a wine geek, and we had a great time pontificating on wine.  He is from Sardinia and is very proud of Sardininian wines, and why not, the Vermentino he served in Sabatini's was terrific.  One evening I shared with him a California wine that I'd brought on board.  Anyway, on our first visit Franco asked if we would be interested in attending a special dinner later in the cruise in which Super Tuscan wines would be featured,  I, of course, jumped at the opportunity.  On entering the room, after shaking hands (pre-pandemic protocol) with the Executive Chef and the Maitre d', being handed a glass of Prosecco and a slice of Parmagiano, Franco spotted us and enthusiastically greeted us.  He then led us to a corner two-top table next to a window,  Mrs. XBGuy was extatic.

To bring this conversation back to the thread topic, I have to admit that we rarely visit the dining rooms.  I may or may not visit the dining room for breakfast (Mrs. XBGuy sleeps in every morning). We don't eat lunch, ever.  We hardly ever have dinner in one of the dining rooms.  Often, we have dinner in the specialty restaurants, it is not unusual to make dinner out of sushi and tapas at Vines, and it is not unusal, at all, for us to have dinner, or a late lunch, at a port stop.  That being said, the report that I saw from the OP, and from subsequent posters, does not surprise me, at all.  Particularly, in the last year, I think most people are seeing rising prices in everything they buy--gas and food are the most obvious.  (Does anybody really believe this trend is "transitory?")  Smaller portion sizes are a reasonable strategy for a purveyor who is having to deal with this inflation,  As other posters have stated, dining room patrons can ask for extra portions.  For some people, I would think they would love have room for some extra dessert.

😉

Winking emoji!!!!!  That's what I should have put in my previous post.

12 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I guess my tongue was not jammed far enough into my cheek when I made that comment.  I need a "just kidding" emoji.

You are, of course absolutely correct.  On the Royal Princess the Crown Grill is attached to the Wheelhouse Bar.  One evening we had a Crown Grill reservation and were shown to a table that was, for all intents and purposes, in the Wheelhouse Bar.  To make matters a bit more uncomfortable, there was a singer performing.  Frankly, I thought she was terrible.  We never even sat down.  We asked for a different table.  It took a few minutes we were shown another table--somewhat farther from the Wheelhouse Bar but still within earshot of the singer.  We were one and done with the Crown Grill on that cruise,

Our experience at Sabatini's during the same cruise, however, was completely different.  On our first visit, we immediately hit it off with the headwaiter, Franco.  He quickly learned that I was a wine geek, and we had a great time pontificating on wine.  He is from Sardinia and is very proud of Sardininian wines, and why not, the Vermentino he served in Sabatini's was terrific.  One evening I shared with him a California wine that I'd brought on board.  Anyway, on our first visit Franco asked if we would be interested in attending a special dinner later in the cruise in which Super Tuscan wines would be featured,  I, of course, jumped at the opportunity.  On entering the room, after shaking hands (pre-pandemic protocol) with the Executive Chef and the Maitre d', being handed a glass of Prosecco and a slice of Parmagiano, Franco spotted us and enthusiastically greeted us.  He then led us to a corner two-top table next to a window,  Mrs. XBGuy was extatic.

To bring this conversation back to the thread topic, I have to admit that we rarely visit the dining rooms.  I may or may not visit the dining room for breakfast (Mrs. XBGuy sleeps in every morning). We don't eat lunch, ever.  We hardly ever have dinner in one of the dining rooms.  Often, we have dinner in the specialty restaurants, it is not unusual to make dinner out of sushi and tapas at Vines, and it is not unusual, at all, for us to have dinner, or a late lunch, at a port stop.  That being said, the report that I saw from the OP, and from subsequent posters, does not surprise me, at all.  Particularly, in the last year, I think most people are seeing rising prices in everything they buy--gas and food are the most obvious.  (Does anybody really believe this trend is "transitory?")  Smaller portion sizes are a reasonable strategy for a purveyor who is having to deal with this inflation,  As other posters have stated, dining room patrons can ask for extra portions.  For some people, I would think they would love have room for some extra dessert.

😉

Winking emoji!!!!!  That's what I should have put in my previous post.

Those themed wine dinners can be quite enjoyable.  Went to a couple on an extended voyage on Island a while back.  Have been to 2 or 3 WMD's as well.  I have probably only had a Sardinian wine twice.  I recall enjoying it.  It isn't an area I normally seek out myself - one can only keep so much wine at home after all.  I subscribe to a program where wine expert writers select various wines that have to be purchased by the case and then they mix it all up and ship out to members.  That is how I mainly get to sample wines from regions I wouldn't normally buy.  I also like to experiment from a good wine menu.  I try to being my own on board when feasible.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Those themed wine dinners can be quite enjoyable.  Went to a couple on an extended voyage on Island a while back.  Have been to 2 or 3 WMD's as well.  

What are the themed wine dinners like? Is the whole restaurant reserved for them? Are people seated with others or just in their own groups? Does someone talk about the food and wine, with everyone on the same course at the same time?

I enjoyed a wine-makers dinner in August on the Majestic, but I've heard they're offered only on the Royal-class ships. 

3 minutes ago, geoherb said:

What are the themed wine dinners like? Is the whole restaurant reserved for them? Are people seated with others or just in their own groups? Does someone talk about the food and wine, with everyone on the same course at the same time?

I enjoyed a wine-makers dinner in August on the Majestic, but I've heard they're offered only on the Royal-class ships. 

See Post #35 above for an idea.  In our case, it was same - Sabatini's was blocked off for the evening and they sold all the seats.  Yes, the MD was there for most of it as I recall and a HW talked about each wine being served.  They probably announced each course as well, but memory fades.  

To me, it was like a WMD, but a full dining room of it.  It was not a Royal Class ship.  I agree that WMD had only been held on Royal Class ships and they use the special table surrounded by wine cabinets.  In our case it has been Deck 5 mid-ship.

• Like 1

@geoherb the overview provided by @Steelers36 pretty much describes our experience with the Super Tuscan dinner.  As I mentioned above, Mrs. XBGuy and I were seated at a two-top table.  There was a two-top next to us and we had casual conversation with the couple seated there.  There were parties seated at 4-tops (and, possibly, at 6-tops), but I couldn't tell you if they were parties with a single reservations of four or two reservavtions for two people who were randomly matched up.

I found the menu for the meal that we had and have attached it below.  The Maitre d' gave a welcoming chat to start the evening and, then, a wrap-up at the end.  Two headwaiters, Franco from Sabatini's and Davide from one of the dining rooms, gave a brief talk introducing each of the courses and the accompanying wines.  I'm sure that it is more than coincidental that these two presenters were Italian.

TuscanDinnerMenu.thumb.jpg.016fd723f61919b3d5378f5dfe4b1f74.jpg

As you can see, not all the wines were Super Tuscans.  However, the three STs that were served were outstanding.  I was completely unfamiliar with the Il Borro, but it was terrific.  I would be proud to serve it in my home.  Over the years I have had a couple different vintages of both the Tig and the Luce.  So, there was no surpise that I enjoyed them as much as I did.

I have to say this event was outstanding.  We have previously attended two Chef's Table events on Princess ships--including one the previous night on the Royal Princess.  I feel that this Super Tuscan dinner was more enjoyable than either of the Chef's Table events that we have attended.

The fee was $60 pp.

Also, I might mention that I have seen reports here on Cruise Critic of a Super Tuscan lunch being offered at Sabatini's.  I assume it is up to the restaurant management as to whether such an event is to be held and whether or not it will be a luncheon or a dinner.  Something just dawned on me.  Our cruise was fourteen days.  The length of the cruise may have affect their thinking on these events.

11 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

@geoherb the overview provided by @Steelers36 pretty much describes our experience with the Super Tuscan dinner.  As I mentioned above, Mrs. XBGuy and I were seated at a two-top table.  There was a two-top next to us and we had casual conversation with the couple seated there.  There were parties seated at 4-tops (and, possibly, at 6-tops), but I couldn't tell you if they were parties with a single reservations of four or two reservavtions for two people who were randomly matched up.

I found the menu for the meal that we had and have attached it below.  The Maitre d' gave a welcoming chat to start the evening and, then, a wrap-up at the end.  Two headwaiters, Franco from Sabatini's and Davide from one of the dining rooms, gave a brief talk introducing each of the courses and the accompanying wines.  I'm sure that it is more than coincidental that these two presenters were Italian.

TuscanDinnerMenu.thumb.jpg.016fd723f61919b3d5378f5dfe4b1f74.jpg

As you can see, not all the wines were Super Tuscans.  However, the three STs that were served were outstanding.  I was completely unfamiliar with the Il Borro, but it was terrific.  I would be proud to serve it in my home.  Over the years I have had a couple different vintages of both the Tig and the Luce.  So, there was no surpise that I enjoyed them as much as I did.

I have to say this event was outstanding.  We have previously attended two Chef's Table events on Princess ships--including one the previous night on the Royal Princess.  I feel that this Super Tuscan dinner was more enjoyable than either of the Chef's Table events that we have attended.

The fee was $60 pp.

Also, I might mention that I have seen reports here on Cruise Critic of a Super Tuscan lunch being offered at Sabatini's.  I assume it is up to the restaurant management as to whether such an event is to be held and whether or not it will be a luncheon or a dinner.  Something just dawned on me.  Our cruise was fourteen days.  The length of the cruise may have affect their thinking on these events.

Mine was $60 as well in 2018.  As I recall, they did it as different menu themes as opposed to a regional wine theme.  And, yes, they used all tables.  I was with someone I had been playing Bridge with  on sea days.  They held three of them over the course of the Around S.A. Cruise.  Whatever they do, it is enjoyable and fun and fair value.

For those aboard Sky currently....has a Super Tuscan Lunch, Dinner or WMD been held ? We are on the Sky beginning Nov 5 and would love to attend one of these . 

17 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Just off the Majestic a couple of weeks ago. I found the portion size adequate, and of all the meals I had, I only had one thing that wasn't up to standard (their signature Fettucine Alfredo). Cold food was cold, hot food was hot. I thought the revised menus were fine. My only problem was at Crown Grill-the service was rushed-the waiter was working hard, but he had way too many tables to serve for fine dining. It kind of reminded me of the old video game Diner Dash. 

On 10/30/2021 at 7:14 PM, auntem said:

For those aboard Sky currently....has a Super Tuscan Lunch, Dinner or WMD been held ? We are on the Sky beginning Nov 5 and would love to attend one of these . 

Not as far as I know.

On board the Regal; the app simply is not working for ordering. It keeps crashing / saying items are delivered when not / saying not available. This applies to both food and drinks.

If you do not have the app, there are too few staff to take an order off you.

MDR - the waiters actually warn you service will be slow with regards to food and recommend you order 2 glasses of wine at a time. The prime rib last night was very pale with little taste and a weird vegetable accompaniment! Dining at Crown Grill tonight so will be interested as to how that goes.

There are 2800 on board so not a full ship but feels very busy. 

Edited by downsmead

On 10/30/2021 at 7:14 PM, auntem said:

Not seen this advertised. Also asked the maitre de about Chef's Table and special wine tasting meals but none are planned on our current sailing of Sky around Med.

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

If you do not have the app, there are too few staff to take an order off you

Have to say that on Sky at the moment there are a multitude of staff around to take your order.

The only issue is that at peak times, the actual bar staff pouring the drinks can be a little overwhelmed