How to get Incorrect onboard charge after disembarking

kenzie

There is a strong preference by NCL to have surprise or invalid charges corrected while still aboard.  Guest services can review your charges and available credits before the final charges get sent to your credit card.

Remember that your specialty dining package includes a set number of meals (and you can't share or trade those credits between guests).  Once you have used up your individual 'allowance', you are charged full price for any additional meals in the specialty restaurants.

Even if you used a credit, you would have been presented a receipt to sign (and to add any additional tips) at the restaurant, so you (should have) had an opportunity to confirm the charge.

If you ate the meal and signed the receipt, you are likely stuck with the charge, because you were given the opportunity to check it at the table, and could review your account on your stateroom TV and on the app throughout the cruise. 

4 minutes ago, Sue Do-Over said:

There is a strong preference by NCL to have surprise or invalid charges corrected while still aboard.  Guest services can review your charges and available credits before the final charges get sent to your credit card.

Remember that your specialty dining package includes a set number of meals (and you can't share or trade those credits between guests).  Once you have used up your individual 'allowance', you are charged full price for any additional meals in the specialty restaurants.

Even if you used a credit, you would have been presented a receipt to sign (and to add any additional tips) at the restaurant, so you (should have) had an opportunity to confirm the charge.

If you ate the meal and signed the receipt, you are likely stuck with the charge, because you were given the opportunity to check it at the table, and could review your account on your stateroom TV and on the app throughout the cruise. 

Your response in incredibly unhelpful and pointless as the guest said they have already disembarked.... Why even respond if you are not able to assist in pointing the OP in a direction to try to resolve the matter?

• Like 2

The OP also said that they didn’t sign for the charge which, if correct, means that it is likely an error.

I know from other posts on these boards that getting this sorted out post cruise is tricky. I don’t have any personal experience, but would try phoning your PCC or Travel Agent, if you have one. Be prepared for a bit of a battle.

4 minutes ago, Langham1865 said:

Your response in incredibly unhelpful and pointless as the guest said they have already disembarked.... Why even respond if you are not able to assist in pointing the OP in a direction to try to resolve the matter?

It doesn't help the OP, but it's not pointless because it's a useful reminder for anyone else reading this public thread. And they are correct in saying that the OP must have signed something after their meal at Cagney's. Did they happen to keep their copy saying $0.00? That will help a lot when contacting guest relations. Which is what they should do: fill out the contact form on the website.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Did you check your on-board account on the last night to see if there was anything amiss?  Did this get added after that last check?  Doing a check the night before disembarkation (through the TV in your room or the app on your phone) would allow you to find these errors in order to deal with them while still on the ship.

• Like 3

Just send a message to post-cruise guest relations.  They will check into it and get back to you - if it's an error, you'll get a refund.  If it wasn't, the charges will remain on your CC.

https://www.ncl.com/case-submission

Had to do this once when they charged a bottle of wine from the mini-bar to my account (and I'm allergic to wine so definitely didn't drink it!).  It was on the final bill but nobody at guest relations could do anything about it before disembarking - the bar manager wasn't on duty until long after I had to leave.  It was eventually taken off of my bill and refunded to my card.

Edited by julig22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Langham1865 said:

Why even respond if you are not able to assist in pointing the OP in a direction to try to resolve the matter?

Interesting comment.  And how did your post "assist in pointing the OP in a direction to try to resolve the matter?"

@kenzie: Contact the cruise line to dispute the charge.

Edited by HuliHuli
  • Like 1

I don't see any advantage to trying to get small discrepancies like this corrected while on board.  I'm there to enjoy every minute of my vacation.  Calling NCL when back home is very simple and, in case anybody is about to claim that NCL is non-responsive in these cases, it's also very easy to just dispute that portion of the credit card charge after failing to resolve it directly with the merchant.

Fair point @ChiefMateJRK.  However to save some hassle, my CC App alerts me to ANY charges on my card within seconds of the charge being registered.  Thus, when Carnival tried to charge me for two pool towels that I had not taken from the ship (just as I was in line to disembark), I simply went back to my cabin, retrieved the towels and took them to Guest Services and demanded they remove the charge.  Faster than a phone call and there could be no dispute.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Langham1865 said:

Pot -> Kettle -> Black

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I have never heard of anyone getting the on board account changed after debarkation.  To my knowledge it is not possible.  ALWAYS review your account before getting off of the ship.

If it is charged to your credit card, it is ALWAYS possible to get it changed.  This isn't due to NCL policy.  It's due to US consumer protection laws.  I'm not sure how it works in other countries.  Step a) attempt to resolve it with the merchant.  Step b) call your credit card company.  The rest is automatic and never fails.  NCL knows this (as do all companies that accept credit cards), which is why step a is almost always the only step required.  I only ratted on NCL once, when they cancelled my cruise and communicated their policy that I would have a refund within 2 months.  Wrong.  After calling my credit card, I had the charges reimbursed within seven days.  When NCL finally refunded the money to the credit card company, they were charged interest which was passed along to me.

21 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I have never heard of anyone getting the on board account changed after debarkation.  To my knowledge it is not possible.  ALWAYS review your account before getting off of the ship.

Well now you have.  Read my response #7 above.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have asked and received adjustments to my final folio after the cruise on at least two occasions, by contacting guest relations. It takes a month or two and a few calls/e-mails, but NCL will work with you. It’s still better to deal with things on board, but it’s definitely not the case that everything is set in stone once you step off the ship.

Plenty of people have reported having minibar charges appear after they’re back home, or charges for supposedly missing items (bathrobes, towels, whatever). If they can make adjustments to the folio in the cruise line’s favor, they can make adjustments in your favor, too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

It absolutely happens.  They added minibar charges to mine after I left the ship.  I called and they credited my card for the amount. 

Thank you for all your comments, further to my post we also found out that, although out concierge confirmed as we disembarked that we were to be refunded an additional speciality package which was cancelled on the first day, we were not so we have 2 issues totalling over $300. I appreciate that we signed two slips after Cagneys however after a bottle of champagne, I cannot remember what we signed for, however they should be able to see that we had platinum and speciality dining included and what we had. Anyway to help others the email I have found is 

https://www.ncl.com/case-submission 

At this point, with everyone having booking perks, red flags should be going up (for the servers) if they’re bringing someone a bill for $150. But you can’t count on that, unfortunately. And you’re right, they can see that you are Platinum and that you have a dining package. But that’s why there needs to be an explicit discussion with them about exactly how you want to “pay” for your meal, because unless you tell them, there’s no way for them to know, and they’re not going to apply anything without your input. 

Anyway I’m sure it’ll get worked out, fingers crossed for you! And thanks for the update. 

Edited by hawkeyetlse

17 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

At this point, with everyone having booking perks, red flags should be going up (for the servers) if they’re bringing someone a bill for $150. But you can’t count on that, unfortunately. And you’re right, they can see that you are Platinum and that you have a dining package. But that’s why there needs to be an explicit discussion with them about exactly how you want to “pay” for your meal, because unless you tell them, there’s no way for them to know, and they’re not going to apply anything without your input. 

Anyway I’m sure it’ll get worked out, fingers crossed for you! And thanks for the update. 

Thank you- We were explicit on how we wanted to pay when we arrived, my cabin used Speciality dining package, my daughters cabin to use the platinum voucher which we gave to them. 

Also with the speciality dining package to be refunded, as we were waiting to disembark, my concierge told me specifically that the refund had been processed, however when we left it had not been. 

11 minutes ago, kenzie said:

We were explicit on how we wanted to pay when we arrived, my cabin used Speciality dining package, my daughters cabin to use the platinum voucher which we gave to them. 

This could be the source of the problem, because you are not allowed to give your Platinum meals to anyone else (at least one Platinum passenger from the original cabin has to use it, the other diner can be anyone). They probably allow it for Haven people, but I suspect it requires some additional overrides that may be above the pay grade of the average server. 

2 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

This could be the source of the problem, because you are not allowed to give your Platinum meals to anyone else (at least one Platinum passenger from the original cabin has to use it, the other diner can be anyone). They probably allow it for Haven people, but I suspect it requires some additional overrides that may be above the pay grade of the average server. 

No that not what happened, my daughter is the platinum one, she used the loyalty voucher for her meal and her other occupant. No overrides, they have just overcharged us and I am trying to get the money back