Do we need a QR code?

27 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Wops I should have been more specific....do we need our pre cruise covid test to have a QR code.  

Oh that makes more sense, I was confused. It does not have to have a QR code 

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

But, what will be a future requirement regarding this?  That's what concerns me the most.  

That is a valid point, however none of us can predict that unfortunately. If I could I would be using that power on much bigger questions 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

But, what will be a future requirement regarding this?  That's what concerns me the most.  

I think it's wise to have the QR electronic version as well as a paper version. It was reported in Canadian media that some border crossings have unreliable wifi and internet signals so that QR code might end up not useable. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 7:27 PM, rkacruiser said:

Does your Covid test generally have a QR code on it? Does it indicate test results or link to some website? The local pharmacy I've gotten my Covid tests at never has a QR code on my results. 

• Thanks 1

I'm getting tested at a local pharmacy in a hour.  I do not have a printer at home, so I'm hoping that whatever they provide me to show the result is all I'll need.  According to HAL's website, an email with the results should be sufficient as long as it provides the info they require.  Have a look at the FAQs there.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:27 PM, rkacruiser said:

Some countries in Europe require a QR code for proof of vaccination. You need it to enter the country and to enter restaurants, museums, etc. You have to upload documentation such as vaccination records, passport info, travel tickets - depending on the requirements of the country.

No doubt things will change as cruising continues to reopen; but now that parts of Europe are experiencing a surge of infections, I expect any relaxation of protocols/restrictions to be slower in coming.

In short, it depends on where you are going and when. Find out if places on your itinerary require QR code and how to get one.

• Like 1

We got off the Liberty of the Seas (RCCL) last week, and we needed to scan a QR for departure instructions.  Before I could get one downloaded, DH asked the concierge in the Diamond Lounge.  I'd brought along our Glocalme device, and couldn't find it when we unpacked.  Of course, when we finished our island, and were on the sea days home, we stumbled upon it.

• Like 1

Thankfully, my test was negative.  I was given a printout of the results, which are now in my carryon with my boarding docs. No code but it appears to have all the info that the FAQ said was needed to prove a negative result.  Note that HAL has different FAQ depending on where you cruise takes place.

The website can be confusing but I always like to go to the source to see if I can get "their" info first.

30 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Thankfully, my test was negative.  I was given a printout of the results, which are now in my carryon with my boarding docs. No code but it appears to have all the info that the FAQ said was needed to prove a negative result.  Note that HAL has different FAQ depending on where you cruise takes place.

The website can be confusing but I always like to go to the source to see if I can get "their" info first.

Different FAQ for where you are going. Yes. See post #16.

I don’t know what local jurisdictions are doing across the country, but I’m not aware of any issuing QR codes because they are not required here - too much like the dreaded vaccine passport - but it will complicate your life if you plan international travel. You’ll have to submit information to each host country requiring it, and they will issue the QR code if you are approved.

14 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Does your Covid test generally have a QR code on it? Does it indicate test results or link to some website? The local pharmacy I've gotten my Covid tests at never has a QR code on my results. 

Thanks for replying.  I have not taken a Covid test, but am fully vaccinated, including the booster.  

3 hours ago, Babr said:

Different FAQ for where you are going. Yes. See post #16.

I don’t know what local jurisdictions are doing across the country, but I’m not aware of any issuing QR codes because they are not required here - too much like the dreaded vaccine passport - but it will complicate your life if you plan international travel. You’ll have to submit information to each host country requiring it, and they will issue the QR code if you are approved.

I am thinking that the day may be coming when QR codes will be required or one has to start carrying a document with such a code in our country.  I am aware that they will be needed for international travel.  

I need to replace my 3G flip phone soon and have decided I will get a smartphone that has the ability to record/store the codes.  No sense to buy another 4G or 5G flip phone only to need to replace it when I start to travel again.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I need to replace my 3G flip phone soon and have decided I will get a smartphone that has the ability to record/store the codes.  No sense to buy another 4G or 5G flip phone only to need to replace it when I start to travel again.  

Reading QR codes on your phone is as simple as using the camera. Some camera apps automatically recognize it, but on others you need to install a separate app. There will not be a phone that is designed to record/store QR codes.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Reading QR codes on your phone is as simple as using the camera. Some camera apps automatically recognize it, but on others you need to install a separate app. There will not be a phone that is designed to record/store QR codes.

I appreciate reading your post.  I know darn well when I get the smart phone this "old dog" is going to need to learn some new "tricks".  Thank you for your comments.