air bought thru NCL, one bag did not arrive, who is responsible for compensation?

Middleager

My wife and I bought air through NCL for our Dec. 5 Getaway transatlantic cruise.  We each checked a bag for our flights from Toronto, via AMS, to Rome.  One bag didn't arrive, with my wife's stuff.  In the past when I bought tickets with my credit card, the CC would compensate up for say $500 (or more) for delayed or lost luggage.  But this time I didn't pay directly to the airline, but to NCL.  Is anyone (credit card, or NCL, or airline) responsible for any compensation?

KLM baggage doesn't even know if the bag left Toronto, or is in AMS, or elsewhere.  Tomorrow my wife would need to buy some clothes, and if the bag won't arrive for the 17day transatlantic cruise, she'll need to buy a lot more.  She'll have to replace her nightguard (about $500), a bunch of cosmetics, and clothes/shoes.  She will lose a lot more than what can be compensated.

But just wondering who we'd need to make the limited claim to.

If you used the same CC to book your cruise, I would start with them. Otherwise  I believe you are at the mercy of the airline. It probably would not hurt to contace NCL to see if they can apply pressure to the airlines - I would not count on them for any compensation however.

• Like 1

we had this experience not with a cruise but overseas travel were no ones bag arrived. that is 7 of us and not one bag. the bag arrived several days after we arrived home from a 10 day trip. the airlined had a hard limit on compensation (maybe 300$ if i recall) . we had to purchase winter clothing , rain clothing and all other essentials as well as lugguge to return home.  We had travel insurance that covered some of the other costs but even that required a bunch of justification of costs. Since then we alway travel with insurance. I hope the airlines finds your bag and can get it to you. 

• Like 1

I assume from AMS to FCO KLM operated the flight?  If they operated the flight, file a lost luggage report with them immediately at the airport or online and keep the report and collect all the receipts.  If the airline lost the luggage they are responsible for payment.  They are also responsible for delayed luggage and each airline has its own criteria.  Call you CC company and ask them if your trip is covered by the credit card and how to initiate a claim.  Start the claim process and ask how much is covered for the delayed bag and how much for lost luggage.  You should ask that question to the airline and cc.  Because if you spent x and the luggage showed up after your cruise departed they consider that as delayed luggage not lost so the compensation is less.  I hope they turn up on time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Middleager said:

My wife and I bought air through NCL for our Dec. 5 Getaway transatlantic cruise.  We each checked a bag for our flights from Toronto, via AMS, to Rome.  One bag didn't arrive, with my wife's stuff.  In the past when I bought tickets with my credit card, the CC would compensate up for say $500 (or more) for delayed or lost luggage.  But this time I didn't pay directly to the airline, but to NCL.  Is anyone (credit card, or NCL, or airline) responsible for any compensation?

KLM baggage doesn't even know if the bag left Toronto, or is in AMS, or elsewhere.  Tomorrow my wife would need to buy some clothes, and if the bag won't arrive for the 17day transatlantic cruise, she'll need to buy a lot more.  She'll have to replace her nightguard (about $500), a bunch of cosmetics, and clothes/shoes.  She will lose a lot more than what can be compensated.

But just wondering who we'd need to make the limited claim to.

You answered your own question.

Unfortunately, you are at the limits of the airline and your insurance. The worst part is none of that money is paid up front. You have to file a claim and fight for the money from both. Then, you will only get a fraction of what you have to spend and if a complete loss, a fraction of that. I hope they find it before you get on the cruise or that could be a nightmare. Contact the airline and NCL immediately. If you have trip insurance, contact them as well. Also, contact your cc company as well. Any compensation you can get will be needed. You at least have 2 days.

Edited by bigrednole
  • Like 1

Sorry this happened to you and your wife.  For the future,  you should always divide clothes into two suitcases.   Half of yours and half of  your wife's  in each suitcase.  This way, if a suitcase gets lost,  one person would not be without clothes.  And regarding her nightguard;  anything thing like that, and medicines and important papers should be packed in your carry on.  Hopefully the bag will be found, and you will get to enjoy your trip.🤞

• Like 5

Was your flight into the EU operated by KLM? If so, check out https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm#luggage

Under this EU regulation air passengers have many rights when things go wrong. Actually, now that I think about it, you might possibly be covered even if the first leg of your flight was not on an EU airline as you also had an AMS - FCO flight. 

If I were in your situation, I would immediately contact KLM and ask for the compensation you are entitled to under this regulation. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Have you checked with the baggage office on the status of their tracking, locating and routing the mis-directed bag to the destination airport for delivery by courier to your lodging/hotel ?  They should be able to trace it as long as the barcoded luggage tag wasn't ripped.  Ask, as they can - somtimes - provide a toiletry/overnight amenity kit with the simple necessities.  Otherwise, hold on to any and all receipts & document expenses related for submitting a claim ... trip/travel insurance ?? 

• Like 2

Thanks all.  The two flights from Toronto to AMS, then to Rome, were both by KLM.  We did immediately file a report with KLM at Rome.  The lady seems to confirm it's lost, but couldn't say whether it left Toronto or not, enroute to AMS, stuck at AMS, or what.

We did contact NCL but not much help.  It's difficult to call US number from Rome (had asked my daughter from home to call), and NCL wasn't much help.  She's trying to get a claim case started with CC.

Hotel said it happened often (lost luggage and sometimes shows up next day, hopefully today), usually not same day.

• Like 2

Praying for the best outcome. This cannot be easy to manage with in such a short time and in a foreign country. Hopefully you have stops on the way out of Rome before traversing back to the US. At least that gives more chance for the luggage to catch up.

Our friend had her bag lost when we were traveling.  Like your situation,  all her clothes were gone.  That's when we learned to always split the clothes in the suitcases.  It's just something you never really think of until something happens.    It was very upsetting,  but the suitcase  was delivered the next day, so things worked out.   Think positive!!!   It will be OK.   You will get the suitcase.

Even when flights are booked as part of a cruise package the cruise line has ZERO liability for delayed/lost baggage related to the airlines.  The fault is solely with the airlines themselves.  That said many shipboard personnel are good at asssiting passengers work with the airlines to track delayed/lost baggage and depending on the specific situation may provide some minimal services/essentials to lessen the passengers discomfort (limited free laundry, essential toiletries, etc).

I usually recommend clients go in the following order for reimbursement of incidentals/replacement items paid for out of pocket:

1) The airline

2) CC company of the card used to pay for the tickets (or the cruise/air package in this situation)

3) Travel insurance provider

Typically travel insurance suppliers want to see options 1&2 exhausted before they will pay out a claim, but check with them before filing any claims as in some cases if any previous claim has been made/settled with the airline or CC company then it may void the insurance provision covering delayed/lost bags.  Additionally the amounts of reimbursements from any of the above will vary based on the length of delay in getting baggage to you and/or if the bag is ever found.  Buy only what you think you REALLY need to get by up to the maximum covered for baggage DELAY and save every single receipt.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, herbanrenewal said:

I’ve had luggage not show up until home after a 10day cruise.

The cruise line wasn’t accountable for luggage before it reaches them. However, they did provide free laundry service during that cruise

Oh, if they provide free laundry service that'd be good.  How often would they do that in a 17d transatlantic cruise?

Push the airline, they are the payor of first recourse, and mention the EU regulation. Find out where to submit bills for the stuff you need to purchase. 
As someone else mentioned, insurance will not even consider paying unless you have filed with the airline and provide either a claim rejection from them or documentation of the amount they paid.

Been there, done that!

• Like 1