Just booked my first HMC cabana!

matymil

Just got our first ever cabana at HMC for our cruise on the magic in Feb. We are super excited but i have a couple of questions that i was not able to find answers to on the site. We got the basic cabana, not the two story one. 

Is there a safe? I noticed they are not far from the chairs and just wanted to know so we can figure out what to leave on the ship.

Im a little confused about the food. I see they give you a fruit and cheese tray, plus some other snacks and it comes with service but im also reading that you have to still go over and get your food from the lunch area? Is the service just for drinks?

I see different reviews for different #'d cabanas. Are there any we should try to avoid because of their location etc or are they all pretty much the same?

This one may be tricky and im not really sure how to phrase this so bare with me 🙂 We are sailing with a toddler. We sailed two months ago and did the bubble tours (which were very isolated) however we were told that since HMC is a private island there are no restrictions which means no bubble tours. However I read that in order to get to the cabanas, they will take everyone directly over there on a tram. I know they want to keep the unvaccinated children has isolated as possible. Has anyone booked any of the cabanas post covid with children and if so was it an issue? This is an important one and i would call carnival and ask but the last time i spoke to the fun shops about taking our toddler on excursions they said "they dont need a bubble tour, you should be good on any excursion" So....i probably wont be asking the fun shops anymore questions lol. Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, matymil said:

Just got our first ever cabana at HMC for our cruise on the magic in Feb. We are super excited but i have a couple of questions that i was not able to find answers to on the site. We got the basic cabana, not the two story one. 

Congrats!  The cabanas are one of Carnival's best excursions at ANY port!  

Is there a safe? I noticed they are not far from the chairs and just wanted to know so we can figure out what to leave on the ship.

There is no safe, but there are some cabinets where you can stash stuff.  

Im a little confused about the food. I see they give you a fruit and cheese tray, plus some other snacks and it comes with service but im also reading that you have to still go over and get your food from the lunch area? Is the service just for drinks?

For "real" food, you'll have to go to the lunch buffet area on the island.  There are some circulating servers to get drink orders, but in practice we just walked down to the bar as needed.  

I see different reviews for different #'d cabanas. Are there any we should try to avoid because of their location etc or are they all pretty much the same?

This depends on your preference.  They are numbered starting with #1 being closest to the tender pier (it is also the only one that is ramp-accessible).  If you want to avoid the noise and the crowds, I'd suggest anything from #8 and up.  Beyond #12 or so and you'll be wayy out.  I have gotten #9 and #11 in the past and loved those locations.  There is a set of bathrooms near those, too.  

The farther out you are, the less you have to worry about anyone intruding in your cabana.

Assignment of the cabana locations is done first-come first-serve at Shore Excursions on board, so it behooves you to get there ASAP upon boarding.  It's one reason why I've always got FttF in the past.  🙂  

Alas, I can't speak to your last question about unvaxxed children; hopefully someone else can.   

Please note that my last experience at HMC was before COVID, so things might be different now.  

The tram area is to the right side after you walk in the main area.  We tip the driver.  When it’s time to go back, just head out to the road and stick your thumb out and they’ll pick you up. 

We also tip the person dropping off the food, etc to the cabana if it arrives pretty quickly. It’s a difficult job hauling all that in the heat and they always look exhausted. 

We have used cabana #10 several times and it is very close to the restrooms. 

Even though there’s 2 of us, we say there is 4 because they give you enough for 4 people.  You can take back to the ship any leftover water and sodas. 

I can’t remember if towels were supplied but hopefully someone knows. 

No water shoes needed. 

We bought water wallets on Amazon to hold our passports and iPhones.  They attach like a belt around your waist.  Don’t do like my husband (who was too cool to wear a Fanny-pak type thing) and just put it around his shoulder, because we were floating along on our floats and his water wallet floated by us. 🙄

We’ve never had anyone bother stuff in our cabana. 

We tender over on the first tender because buying a cabana gets you first in line.  Not returning though. We usually leave at 2-3 pm to return because by then, the sun is very hot and the the cabana doesn’t offer much shade by that time.  We then walk up to someone else on the beach and offer the cabana to them and they’ve always gladly accepted.  

I realize it’s pretty pricy but worth it to me because I get sunburned easily. 

I bring over my own mixer 😁to go with the sodas and ice, because sometimes it’s hard to order a drink and a lot of times waiters are hailing beer and fruity drinks which don’t look to be very cold. 

We have always had # 9 and higher whenever we rented.  Did not want to be in the thick of the noise and people traffic.  The snacks have been good at times and not so good (stale chips and soggy cut up fruit) a couple of other times.  Set your expectations a little lower and if you get better, then consider it a bonus.  

One thing we found out I think the 2nd or 3rd time we rented was that when we all went down to the beach and no one was at the rental, we came back to 2 floaties gone (we reported it immediately cuz we were afraid we would be charged maybe???) from the deck portion (private and attached to cabana, but open to anyone walking by).  Also, on way back we saw a couple sitting on the steps of the rental kind of hanging out.  They moved once we approached but we realized that  if no one is there to be seen as occupied there appears to be people that do not understand boundaries.  Since then, one of us always stays at rental and we take turns going and doing whatever.

Edited by Drazil65
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pellaz said:

This depends on your preference.  They are numbered starting with #1 being closest to the tender pier (it is also the only one that is ramp-accessible).  If you want to avoid the noise and the crowds, I'd suggest anything from #8 and up.  Beyond #12 or so and you'll be wayy out.  I have gotten #9 and #11 in the past and loved those locations.  There is a set of bathrooms near those, too.  

The farther out you are, the less you have to worry about anyone intruding in your cabana.

We've had 9, 10, 11 and 5. 5 was our least favorite because we had people come up to our deck to use the shower, even though we were sitting right there. We also had people sit on the steps to the cabana. I'd try for 8 and higher.

• Like 1

I was there at the end of October. We had cabana 12 because we wanted to be away from the Pirate ship bar (due to noise) and the crowds. The walk to the bathrooms was not bad and people using the beach did not start to arrive until about lunch time since we were far down so it was nice. Also about every hour to hour and half Carnival Staff stopped by to make sure everything was ok and check to see if we were the ones that actually rented the cabana. The walk to the buffet took about 5-10 minutes so also not that far. We did not eat at the buffet but just ate the fruit and tortillas and guacamole provided. 

If you can manage a little bit of walking with your toddler, you can bypass the tram by walking down to the water and walk along the shoreline to your cabana. The cabanas are numbered and have different colors, so you will know which one is yours. If you have a lot to carry, the tram will make things easier for you. We always enjoy the barbeque buffet - everything tastes better on Half Moon Cay! We eat the main items at the picnic tables, and bring dessert back to our cabana. There is an air conditioner in the cabana. If you eat at the table, it might feel a little cooler there. You will absolutely love your cabana!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Congrats!  The cabanas are one of Carnival's best excursions at ANY port!  

There is no safe, but there are some cabinets where you can stash stuff.  

For "real" food, you'll have to go to the lunch buffet area on the island.  There are some circulating servers to get drink orders, but in practice we just walked down to the bar as needed.  

Assignment of the cabana locations is done first-come first-serve at Shore Excursions on board, so it behooves you to get there ASAP upon boarding.  It's one reason why I've always got FttF in the past.  🙂  

Alas, I can't speak to your last question about unvaxxed children; hopefully someone else can.   

Please note that my last experience at HMC was before COVID, so things might be different now.  

thank you so much 🙂

3 hours ago, mar214 said:

If you can manage a little bit of walking with your toddler, you can bypass the tram by walking down to the water and walk along the shoreline to your cabana. The cabanas are numbered and have different colors, so you will know which one is yours. If you have a lot to carry, the tram will make things easier for you. We always enjoy the barbeque buffet - everything tastes better on Half Moon Cay! We eat the main items at the picnic tables, and bring dessert back to our cabana. There is an air conditioner in the cabana. If you eat at the table, it might feel a little cooler there. You will absolutely love your cabana!!

Awesome thank you so much. Yeah he can walk that shouldnt be a problem

4 hours ago, jlabs03 said:

I was there at the end of October. We had cabana 12 because we wanted to be away from the Pirate ship bar (due to noise) and the crowds. The walk to the bathrooms was not bad and people using the beach did not start to arrive until about lunch time since we were far down so it was nice. Also about every hour to hour and half Carnival Staff stopped by to make sure everything was ok and check to see if we were the ones that actually rented the cabana. The walk to the buffet took about 5-10 minutes so also not that far. We did not eat at the buffet but just ate the fruit and tortillas and guacamole provided. 

You requested 12 specifically? Do you just ask them at the excursions desk when you get there?

2 hours ago, matymil said:

We will go to the excursions desk and ask for one of the higher numbers. I saw there is a playground there. Is that further down the beach as well?

No. The playground is very close to where you get off the tender. But it’s not like it’s a huge island or anything. Everything is pretty close.

However, with a toddler, I would suggest the opposite of the poster above. Take the tram. Walking on the beach is harder and keeping a little one out of the water while you try to make you way down the beach sounds frustrating for everyone.  If they don’t want you to mix on the tram, they will either take you by yourselves or ask you to wait.

I just booked a cabana too, but our cruise isn’t until next October. I am so excited about it though. We had #9 several years back and it was fantastic. In October I was at HMC again and just rented a clam shell. Wow, was it hot in there!!  I get hot easily and can’t be in the sun much due to medical issues. The fan and the a/c in the cabanas allows me to really enjoy my day at the beach. 

Have a great time!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

No. The playground is very close to where you get off the tender. But it’s not like it’s a huge island or anything. Everything is pretty close.

However, with a toddler, I would suggest the opposite of the poster above. Take the tram. Walking on the beach is harder and keeping a little one out of the water while you try to make you way down the beach sounds frustrating for everyone.  If they don’t want you to mix on the tram, they will either take you by yourselves or ask you to wait.

I just booked a cabana too, but our cruise isn’t until next October. I am so excited about it though. We had #9 several years back and it was fantastic. In October I was at HMC again and just rented a clam shell. Wow, was it hot in there!!  I get hot easily and can’t be in the sun much due to medical issues. The fan and the a/c in the cabanas allows me to really enjoy my day at the beach. 

Have a great time!

Thank you. That is actually the reason we booked the cabana because of some the negative reviews of the clam shell rentals. Thank you for the info

I was at Half Moon Cay today onboard Carnival Legend. Henry, my headwaiter at dinner tonight, was also one of the cabana servers. He is fantastic!

I didn't have one of the cabanas, but I captured many photos of the cabanas, villas, beach area, and lunch, including the lunch menu.  The menu hasn't changed since Groundloop visited - jerk chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, coleslaw, fresh fruit, brownies and cookies. 

Full Half Moon Cay menu and photos of the food are on page 9 of my current live thread: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2817044-live-solo-from-the-carnival-legend-december-5-12-2021/page/9/

• Like 3

9 hours ago, matymil said:

You requested 12 specifically? Do you just ask them at the excursions desk when you get there?

6 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

As I recall, part of the playground water-play area might be reserved as an excursion-only area.   Or at least, it used to be. 

I honestly don't see it being a major issue, since the tram is an outdoor venue.  I'd definitely recommend the tram.  

I get hot easily and can’t be in the sun much due to medical issues. The fan and the a/c in the cabanas allows me to really enjoy my day at the beach. 

That misting fan on the deck is really nice to have.  

--Also the freshwater shower.  Toward the end of the day two groups approached us about the shower.  The first group asked nicely if they could use it, and we said "sure!"   The second group didn't bother, so we politely but firmly told them to shove off.  🙂  

• Like 2

We had Cabana #8 last month during our Horizon Thanksgiving cruise.  Our Cabana was in a great location.  Bathrooms not too far, just up behind the Cabana.  After we boarded the ship, as soon as the shore excursions desk was open, I reserved #8.  They helped me choose one as I didn't want one too far away, but not right near the dock either.  Just somewhat in the middle.  Towels were provided, and floats.  While at the excursions desk, they asked for my soft drink orders.  Bottled water was also provided and ice.  There was a huge bag of chips, along with dips, and yummy fresh fruit.  There was a table and 4 chairs, and 2 loungers.  We went to the lunch buffet and brought the food back to our Cabana to eat.  There was a tram to take us to the Cabana and when we were ready to leave an employee called for us a ride on the tram back.  My daughter chose to walk the beach instead of the tram.  One time I needed to go back to the ship and they sent an ATV to pick me up.  Someone regularly came around to see if we needed anything. Cabana's are expensive, but definitely worth it!  They are right on the beach and chairs are arranged so the they do not block your view.

IMG_20211123_142230535_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211123_142351501_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

I was at Half Moon Cay today onboard Carnival Legend. Henry, my headwaiter at dinner tonight, was also one of the cabana servers. He is fantastic!

I didn't have one of the cabanas, but I captured many photos of the cabanas, villas, beach area, and lunch, including the lunch menu.  The menu hasn't changed since Groundloop visited - jerk chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, coleslaw, fresh fruit, brownies and cookies. 

Full Half Moon Cay menu and photos of the food are on page 9 of my current live thread: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2817044-live-solo-from-the-carnival-legend-december-5-12-2021/page/9/

This is great. Thanks! Going to check out your review.

Don’t skip the bbq lunch, it’s good. Otherwise you have chips/dip and fruit. 

We had 10 and it was a great location. Hustle to the excursion desk when you board!!

You get 2 floats also, which is nice. We walked, there is a sidewalk runs behind the cabanas, and I didn’t want to have to ride the tram. Might be different with a toddler. We will be there in March, can’t wait. No cabana this time though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pellaz said:

As I recall, part of the playground water-play area might be reserved as an excursion-only area.   Or at least, it used to be. 

I honestly don't see it being a major issue, since the tram is an outdoor venue.  I'd definitely recommend the tram.  

That misting fan on the deck is really nice to have.  

--Also the freshwater shower.  Toward the end of the day two groups approached us about the shower.  The first group asked nicely if they could use it, and we said "sure!"   The second group didn't bother, so we politely but firmly told them to shove off.  🙂  

Ohhhh man i hope someone tries to use ours without asking 😈

21 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

Those pictures are awesome thank you. We've been twice but the last time was 8 years ago so i almost forgot how beautiful the island is.