Boarding after covid recovery

glennmartin

Hello all

i am travelling on encore on 9th Jan and we have a family member that has tested positive last week for covid and has made a full recovery with no issues and has completed the required isolation 

they have been told that they will still test positive for covid up to 4 months after the first symptoms 

is there going to be a problem with them testing and boarding at the port ? 

they are triple jabbed and have all the required covid paperwork etc 

6 minutes ago, glennmartin said:

Hello all

i am travelling on encore on 9th Jan and we have a family member that has tested positive last week for covid and has made a full recovery with no issues and has completed the required isolation 

they have been told that they will still test positive for covid up to 4 months after the first symptoms 

is there going to be a problem with them testing and boarding at the port ? 

they are triple jabbed and have all the required covid paperwork etc 

Knowing in advance after recovery from Covid so very recently, first I’d not risk it.  Second I personally think it’s rather irresponsible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, glennmartin said:

They are going to call but it seems a little crazy that they are not willing to accept that someone has recovered when the gov are advising that tests will show false positives 

If the person is in the UK, how does he/she plan on getting on an airplane to the US?

15 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

If the person is in the UK, how does he/she plan on getting on an airplane to the US?

Unfortunately (my opinion) you can come to the US with a doctor's note saying you are recovered and previous positive test result.  I call BS to the blanket assumption that "you aren't contagious after 10 days" - every case is different.

• Like 3

People can get reinfected after already having Covid.  It appears to be happening more with Omicron.  If one tests positive at cruise checkin, how can they be certain they weren’t reinfected 3 days ago.   Cruise lines have chosen to not deal with this possibility.  Their choice.  If you test positive at the pier, you will not be permitted on the cruise. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, glennmartin said:

so they are not following the CDC guidelines anymore ??

so really anyone who has had covid in the last 6 months cannot cruise ?

They can add their own additional protocols as they deem necessary.  Is the risk/reward?  Worth the chance flying from the UK?  Only the traveler knows that answer.

I don’t think testing positive for 5 months is normal. I was told up to 3 months when I had Covid. It has been two months for me but I haven’t try testing again. I still have 6 weeks until I cruise. I know my son had it the same time as me and tested negative 3 weeks later. Unless omicron is different than other Covid strains they could test negative by January 9th. 

Also a PCR test will show positive longer than an antigen test as they are more sensitive. I believe they use rapid antigen tests at the port so they could be fine.

• Like 1

This month DS’s housemate contracted Covid from his colleague who had travelled. He was double jabbed and was waiting to get the booster but the virus got him first. DS and the other housemate (both already boostered) had to also go into isolation.

The 2 tested themselves daily with rapid antigen and continued to test negative. When they were released from isolation they went for a PCR test and received negative results.

The affected person was sick for a few days with fever and some cough. His quarantine lasted a few days longer and he went for his release PCR test two days before Xmas …. Got the negative result!

I would suggest to the OP that his family member continues to test with rapid antigen every other day or so, and then you all take PCR test 3 days before traveling to the USA. 

Bottom line, you must present negative PCR (or antigen) in order to travel internationally by airplane and to board the cruise ship. Letters saying that you had Covid will not help. Not anymore. 

41 minutes ago, glennmartin said:

so they are not following the CDC guidelines anymore ??

so really anyone who has had covid in the last 6 months cannot cruise ?

Keep in mind that the cruise lines also need to satisfy the countries they stop at that the people they're letting off into their port city are relatively low-risk for bringing the virus to their people.

• Like 1

I am in the same boat - so to speak...

Canadian, triple vaxxed, tested positive on Wednesday the 22nd.  Very minor symptoms are now gone. Quarantine ends December 30 as per local public health.  I am able to fly without a test, but with a Doctors note.  Cruise leaves Jan 9.  We will do PCR on Jan 5, and if that is negative, we may chance it at the port.

15 hours ago, julig22 said:

Unfortunately (my opinion) you can come to the US with a doctor's note saying you are recovered and previous positive test result.  I call BS to the blanket assumption that "you aren't contagious after 10 days" - every case is different.

You are wrong, the majority will accept a positive Covid test 14 days ago as proof of not having active Covid, schools, universities, airlines… It’s based on CDC guidelines which state that those 14 days out are no longer contagious.

6 minutes ago, glennmartin said:

just to confirm are NCL testing at the port or is it a LFT home test as i have just seen a video on youtube stating that NCL are no longer testing at the port

There was a very brief period NCL stated they will stop testing at port after January 16, 2022.  Then quickly reversed that decision and will continue at port testing.