Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

You’re making lemonade out of lemons!  It’s great Arlona has a balcony and get fresh air and you can “see” her.  

Since everyone on Viking Ocean ships has a balcony, that isn't a big deal. But, being able to see her in person, even from three floors down, was great. We docked on starboard side today, and are at sea tomorrow, so no joy there.

Gary: great post.  We visited Gdansk on a Viking cruise just before the pandemic grounded all of us.  Brings back fond memories.  Thanks and we hope Arlona gets out of quarantine quickly.  Paul

On 5/17/2022 at 1:35 PM, GKTV32162 said:

To be fair, quarantine happens on Viking as soon as you show positive and for most, that is well before they show symptoms. That's the point of daily testing. And, with daily testing, we are sure the folks we are with are clean. The recent variable was the embarkation of 570 new passengers that travels under unknown conditions. That's what did it.

Asked my doctor about this, and he indicated that you may not show positive on test immediately after exposure, possibly not until symptoms develop.

5 hours ago, Kamfish642 said:

Asked my doctor about this, and he indicated that you may not show positive on test immediately after exposure, possibly not until symptoms develop.

All I can tell you is that Viking has completely stopped spread on the ship. If people were contagious before Viking identified them, more cases would show up 3-4 days later and so on, but that has not happened. And, that has been true for the entirety of the 150 continuous days I have been on the ship. I'm not disagreeing with your doctor, but evidence speaks volumes. All the cases currently active on the ship showed up 3-4 days after embarkation in Bergen where they likely were exposed during their air travel. Nothing after that. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

All I can tell you is that Viking has completely stopped spread on the ship. If people were contagious before Viking identified them, more cases would show up 3-4 days later and so on, but that has not happened. And, that has been true for the entirety of the 150 continuous days I have been on the ship. I'm not disagreeing with your doctor, but evidence speaks volumes. All the cases currently active on the ship showed up 3-4 days after embarkation in Bergen where they likely were exposed during their air travel. Nothing after that. 

Indeed, what doctor or reseach scientist has 500+ people in a relatively closed society following the same protocol for 150 days?  

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

Indeed, what doctor or reseach scientist has 500+ people in a relatively closed society following the same protocol for 150 days?  

Was in an airport lounge sitting a few seats away from an AA executive-self proclaimed. He missed his flight as he mixed up boarding time with flight time?? On standby. An important guy. 
General discussion. I follow the boards and yes folks’ Covid symptoms/positive test seen to show show up about 5 days after traveling. 
AA exec - very emphatically stated that Covid is not from the plane! (Sure looks like it from where I sit). 

I hope that he made his plane. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Doesn’t sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not sure I’ll take his advice on health issues! 😂

Ha, ha, ha. He called his wife with his tale of woe. We were close enough and he spoke loudly enough. Just 3 of us in this space. We said that we would not tell. As others joined he told them!! We mistakenly ordered two too many mimosas and directed the server to give them to the two ladies who joined our space. This was a different lounge event for sure. Wheels up, masks on. 

• Like 1

Detectable levels of Covid can develop up to 14 days after exposure, depending on the variant. Omicron variants are usually 2-5 days, hence the often the case minimum 5 days quarantine/self isolation after confirmed exposure or testing positive, then double negative test to exit regardless of how long 

Source for incubation times is briefings by UK experts Jonathan van Tam and Chris Whittie 

5 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Any that is doing their job correctly. NHS, Forces, some island populations etc all have similar available or that can be arranged

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 150/163 Viking Homelands - Sea Day - Farewells are starting, and a reunion is looming

Were Dave and Donna on the Inaugural World Cruise!!!  I think Donna put together our cruise pre-book.   If so Dee and Pat Clark say Hi!

5 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Detectable levels of Covid can develop up to 14 days after exposure, depending on the variant. Omicron variants are usually 2-5 days, hence the often the case minimum 5 days quarantine/self isolation after confirmed exposure or testing positive, then double negative test to exit regardless of how long 

Source for incubation times is briefings by UK experts Jonathan van Tam and Chris Whittie 

While masks and vaccinations are effective, it's obvious that there is no absolute means of preventing getting COVID just reducing chances and severity.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 150/163 Viking Homelands - Sea Day - Farewells are starting, and a reunion is looming

Really pleased for you that Arlona will be released soon and I love her flags!

However as a Scot, I hope you don’t mind if I point out that she has (correctly) painted the  Union Jack and not the flag of England - you have of course visited us on your cruise but the country is the United Kingdom 

26 minutes ago, gadabout60 said:

Really pleased for you that Arlona will be released soon and I love her flags!

However as a Scot, I hope you don’t mind if I point out that she has (correctly) painted the  Union Jack and not the flag of England - you have of course visited us on your cruise but the country is the United Kingdom 

Doh!  Sorry about that - I corrected that!  Thanks for the correction!

4 minutes ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 151/163 Viking Homelands - Mariehamn, Åland Islands - Finally negative!

I am surprised that you are entering Stockholm so early. Going through the Stockholm archipelago was a highlight of our last Baltic cruise. So many beautiful islands with lots of incredible homes. The who’s who of Sweden all seem to have homes out there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldpetrillo said:

I am surprised that you are entering Stockholm so early. Going through the Stockholm archipelago was a highlight of our last Baltic cruise. So many beautiful islands with lots of incredible homes. The who’s who of Sweden all seem to have homes out there. 

I may be up early, if I ever get to bed... 🙂

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 151/163 Viking Homelands - Mariehamn, Åland Islands - Finally negative!

Congrats on Arlona finally being negative and getting out of Covid jail tomorrow!  Can't wait to see the pics of the reunion!

Linda R.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:

Happy to hear that Arlona has tested negative. Did the Viking Star medical staff treated her with antiviral medication (like Paxlovid) when she was in quarantine?