Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

2 hours ago, deec said:

I felt much better while on the ship knowing that I could quarantine and be treated onboard if I tested positive rather than some of the horror stories about being forced to leave the ship and having to stay in substandard accommodations.

I’m torn. As I understand it (and I’m far from certain about this), if we remain onboard, there’s no trip interruption and therefore no insurance refund. Even though our expensive vacation is effectively over (unless sitting in a stateroom counts as a vacation to someone).

On the other hand, if we leave the ship, that could count as trip interruption and allow for us to recover some money. If that’s the case, I’d rather sit in a hotel room of whatever quality and salvage something from our lost vacation. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Twitchly said:

On the other hand, if we leave the ship, that could count as trip interruption and allow for us to recover some money. If that’s the case, I’d rather sit in a hotel room of whatever quality and salvage something from our lost vacation. 

Most European countries require self isolation (stay 2m away from others, don't go on public transport and don't enter public buildings) rather than quarantine, you would be allowed to leave the hotel room and walk about the the town, you could book any hotel or accommodation. 

Viking's testing and quarantine rule seems increasingly unnecessary, it would make more sense to go by the requirements of the countries on the itinerary

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 145/152 Viking Homelands - Aalborg, Denmark - Alphabetically, our first stop!

Thanks for these daily reports - I’ve been following from the very beginning and enjoying them very much.

I have to confirm that Viking is really good at this quarantining business. We (husband and I) tested positive on embarkation day on the Jupiter back in March and spent the first 10 days of a 21 day cruise on deck 3. We were very lucky to have been given neighbouring cabins (we asked whether it was possible) and we opened up the balcony divider. Service was always prompt and friendly, medical services passed by every day - sometimes twice -, and we had phone calls each day from guest services and room service to hear whether we were OK and if we needed anything. 
Ten days is a long time in a confined space and, although still testing positive, we were more than relieved to be released and be able to enjoy the rest of the cruise. Because of this relatively „positive“ experience with Viking, we have just cancelled an upcoming cruise with Celebrity after reading several reports on quarantine conditions on their ships.

So, all the best to Arlona and enjoy your day in Copenhagen - I lived and worked there from 2005 to 2016 and loved it!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Twitchly said:

I’m torn. As I understand it (and I’m far from certain about this), if we remain onboard, there’s no trip interruption and therefore no insurance refund. Even though our expensive vacation is effectively over (unless sitting in a stateroom counts as a vacation to someone).

I know that question has been discussed at length but with no definitive resolution.  Probably the best thing to do is ask your insurance carrier - does quarantine on board ship AND quarantine off the ship both count as trip interruption?

13 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I know that question has been discussed at length but with no definitive resolution.  Probably the best thing to do is ask your insurance carrier - does quarantine on board ship AND quarantine off the ship both count as trip interruption?

An additional problem is if the quarantine is not mandated by a  government, just by Viking. We're having problems getting cover. No problem if a government, if Viking the insurers expect Viking to provide financial recompense. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Good advice. This morning I sent an email to our insurance carrier (not through Viking), and they confirmed that there’s no trip interruption coverage for us if we stay on board — but there is if we get off. So there’s our answer. If we win the booby prize and test positive, we will ask to be ejected as quickly as possible.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Good advice. This morning I sent an email to our insurance carrier (not through Viking), and they confirmed that there’s no trip interruption coverage for us if we stay on board — but there is if we get off. So there’s our answer. If we win the booby prize and test positive, we will ask to be ejected as quickly as possible.

That could be a risky option, as many insurance companies, could deny your claim, as the cruise line provided onboard quarantine, but you specifically requested to be put ashore.

Thanks for the continued update and best wishes for a speedy recovery to Arlona.  

Curious why isolation is 10 days when CDC requires 5 days before you can exit quarantine. They don't even require you to test negative to leave quarantine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

That could be a risky option, as many insurance companies, could deny your claim, as the cruise line provided onboard quarantine, but you specifically requested to be put ashore.

Not much of a risk. If we stay onboard, we’re guaranteed no coverage, no refund. If we get off, we at least have a chance to salvage something. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

Not much of a risk. If we stay onboard, we’re guaranteed no coverage, no refund. If we get off, we at least have a chance to salvage something. 

Always your choice and I recognize your earlier statement that "I’d rather sit in a hotel room of whatever quality and salvage something from our lost vacation", but if you were ever unfortunate enough to have to make the decision, you will want to ensure you know in advance what kind of shoreside quarantine you are entering into.

I recall reports of several very different quarantine experiences from shortly after the reopening - ranging from private villa accommodation (may have been in Malta?) to utterly abysmal hostel stays (SA, I think).

Hopefully never needed, but keep it in mind ... 🍺🥌

• Like 1

South America was horrible.. We cancelled our South America Crossing to Europe because of the horror stories of passengers taken off of the ship and being put into isolation in hostels for up to 16 days.. Viking had no control and had to surrender their passengers to the different countries. They were denied docking for provisions and fuel if they didn't comply. Chile was the worst. 

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Respectfully disagree.

We have experience being forcibly disembarked from a ship, many years ago, to a quarantine hotel that had armed guards in each alleyway and could best be described as a slum. More recently, I believe some pax in S/America and possibly Germany had less than stellar experiences in a quarantine hotel.

The quality of the facility is definitely a risk, especially in countries where the local Government dictates where you quarantine, and more importantly, when you can leave.

In addition, you are responsible for the hotel costs, and if your claim is denied you won't be re-imbursed. You may even have issues with flights.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2022 at 6:16 AM, 2oldishcoots said:

Did anyone do the tour to Montserrat? I’d be really interested to know their opinions & the cost, which I realize wouldn’t be etched in stone. We’ve been to Barcelona a few times & never made it there yet. We are on the Neptune in Barcelona for the next WC and are hoping this could be on our plan.

Sorry for the delayed response.  I returned last week from the 21/22 WC aboard the Viking Star and I'm still catching up.  There were two tours to Montserrat offered.  Below are their descriptions.  I went on the longer, Best of Barcelona & Our Lady of Montserrat, excursion. 

It was a gorgeous drive to the abbey.  Due to Covid restrictions we weren't allowed to actually touch the Black Madonna's orb during our tour through the monastery.  We had a bit over an hour of free time following the guided portion of our visit to Montserrat during which we were given tickets to:
1. go to the small Montserrat historical and informational museum which included a short video overview and display of artifacts... this self-guided tour through the small museum begins and ends in a gift shop; and
2. participate in a wine tasting of the Abbey's liquors at a gift shop. 

Depending on the timing, you might skip these activities and instead pay to take the funicular higher up the mountain.  Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take the funicular higher as a group of school kids were doing that and I would likely have to wait at least a half hour before there would be room for me on the funicular and so I wouldn't have time to go up look around and return before our excursion bus was scheduled to leave. However, going through the museum and the liquor tasting were both enjoyable activities. 

Since I hadn't been to Barcelona before, I was glad that the second day in Barcelona was added to our itinerary so that I could go on the Montserrat excursion as well as the included "Iconic Barcelona" excursion.  I really enjoyed the "Best of Barcelona & Our Lady of Montserrat" excursion and definitely recommend it.

Scenic Santa Maria de Montserrat Abbey
Activity Level: Moderate
Duration: 5¾ Hours
Category: Sightseeing, Special Interest
Price: $79.00
Visit Catalonia's most cherished place of pilgrimage with a local guide on this unforgettable excursion. After a drive through the magnificent Catalan countryside, you will board a train at Monistrol de Montserrat station and enjoy a short uphill journey into the Montserrat range, home of Santa Maria de Montserrat, a stunning Benedictine abbey perched more than 4.000 feet above the valley. The abbey has stood here, nestled among dome-like rock formations and craggy peaks, for centuries. During your visit. you will learn about the daily lives of the monks and the story of "La Moreneta," the "Black Virgin" in the abbey's basilica. You will also see an audiovisual presentation, "Montserrat Portes Endins," or "Montserrat Behind Closed Doors," and enjoy a tasting of typical liquors before proceeding to visit the basilica and the chapel of the Virgin.

Best of Barcelona & Our Lady of Montserrat 
Activity Level: Moderate
Duration: 8 Hour
Category: Recommended, Shopping , Sightseeing, UNESCO
Price: $119.00
Enjoy a visit to Montserrat Abbey and the beloved Güell Park, one of Antoni Gaudi's most whimsical creations. Departing the ship, you'll drive through the Catalan countryside through the mountains of Montserrat and its Benedictine abbey, perched 4,000 feet above the valley below. Your guide will explain the daily life of the monks and the story of "The Black Virgin," the statue found in the abbey's basilica. Afterward, drive back to Barcelona to Güell Park, designed by Gaudí between 1900 and 1914. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, its fluid sculptural forms and bold colors blend harmoniously with the park's lush setting. After, you'll have free time to enjoy lunch on your own in the historic center. En route back to our ship, we'll take a relaxing drive around Montjüic mountain, site of several 1992 Summer Olympics events, and the National Museum of Art of Catalonia.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Respectfully disagree.

We have experience being forcibly disembarked from a ship, many years ago, to a quarantine hotel that had armed guards in each alleyway and could best be described as a slum. More recently, I believe some pax in S/America and possibly Germany had less than stellar experiences in a quarantine hotel.

The quality of the facility is definitely a risk, especially in countries where the local Government dictates where you quarantine, and more importantly, when you can leave.

In addition, you are responsible for the hotel costs, and if your claim is denied you won't be re-imbursed. You may even have issues with flights.

Since we’re talking about a refund of about $1.75K per day — completely lost if we stay on board — it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I understand others feel differently. If we were near the very end of our cruise, or if we were cruising in Viet Nam or the Amazon rather than the UK, I might be more likely to write off all chance of a refund. Maybe.

Edited by Twitchly
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Since we’re talking about a refund of about $1.75K per day — completely lost if we stay on board — it’s a risk I’m willing to take. I understand others feel differently. If we were near the very end of our cruise, or if we were cruising in Viet Nam or the Amazon rather than the UK, I might be more likely to write off all chance of a refund. Maybe.

No quarantine rules in England at the moment. There are no covid specific regulations at all, covid is regarded in the same way as any other potentially nasty contagious disease. Basically advice is to get a vaccine for it, and do your best to avoid passing it on by  social distancing/self isolation. 

You would be free to sightsee and eat out within the guidelines. Choice of accommodation would largely be up to you

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 147/163 Viking Homelands - Warnemünde, Germany - I just found out we've both been fahrting for the last 147 days

Long time lurker (from the beginning!) here...  I'm sorry that Arlona is still testing positive and will have to do the whole quarantine.  But, I think it's a great idea to stay on for the next cruise!  Love your blog; chuckled thru the beginning of this current one so I'll take the humor, thank you very much! 😎 

Linda R.

• Haha 1

Another LTL (Long Time Lurker) here. Garry, like so many others I have come to eagerly anticipate your latest update each day. As someone who also journals daily on my travels, I know what a pain it can be doing this at times, particularly after a long day ashore. The fact that you have not missed a day, other than when the ship’s connectivity proved problematic, is amazing, especially after those ultra long excursions in Jordan, Egypt and Israel.

I hope you have found the many appreciative comments to your blog as rewarding as so many of us have found travelling vicariously through you on this World Cruise. With any luck it will not be too long before you and Arlona are reunited and make the most of the last few weeks of your trip. You deserve it.

Barry L

• Like 9

On 5/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, Jim Avery said:

We are living our lives as well.  Some of the "protections" are more trouble than they are worth.  Very fortunate to have taken two wonderful Viking World Cruises before the world went through the change.  Wish y'all safe travels home.

Jim, I understand your comments but we are so fortunate and happy to have taken this incredible world cruise. You have two under your belt so it was not something that you wanted or "needed" to do and I totally get that, but we would not have had this experience had we cancelled and it has certainly been a trip of a lifetime. Yes, it would have been better, almost certainly, without Covid and protocols. Certainly independent exploration being blocked for the first part of the cruise put a damper on things. However, having only 500 passengers on a world cruise and being able to go to the Chilean fjords, Norwegian fjords, and soon the Swedish fjords in one trip is something I will never forget! (Not to mention, pyramids, Petra, Luxor, Ephesus, etc, etc!) Also, we have met so many wonderful people on board. I hope that those who take future world cruise do not have to deal with Covid. When we booked this cruise in August 2020, we had no idea that Covid would still be around now (maybe we should have, but we did not).

• Like 16

Perhaps something to consider if in Warnemunde and doing the tour of Rostock.

Our guide gave us options on how to get back to the ship after the tour.

We chose a short walk down to the river and caught one of the regular ferry boats which carried us directly back to Viking Sky.

A different perspective on the area..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, sugarside said:

Perhaps something to consider if in Warnemunde and doing the tour of Rostock.

Our guide gave us options on how to get back to the ship after the tour.

We chose a short walk down to the river and caught one of the regular ferry boats which carried us directly back to Viking Sky.

A different perspective on the area..

Warnemunde was a cute harbor town. They have harbor cruises that look like they might be nice. Great Doner Kebabs near the tourist information place!

We did Viking Homelands in 2016 and chose the included Rostock tour which was visiting a brewery for pretzels and beer, then into town for a city tour and back to the ship by ferry. It was a very nice day with perfect weather. We decided not to go to Berlin since it was supposed to be by bus. At the last minute they changed to a train. Had we known the change we might have gone to Berlin. We did however enjoy the day in Rostock, the brewery, the ferry ride and having free time to walk around Warnemunde. The Berlin trip takes up the entire day.

Edited by Insanityx4
  • Like 2