NCL Cancellation Announcements - January 5th 2022

Cruise Gopher

zoinks 200 mill a month burn. i did bermuda in oct and it was a very good price. no complaints at all but i did wonder while waiting 3 hours to get tested, who is paying for all those people there to test us? that was a lot of additional staff and i sure didnt see any increases in cruising pricing. (did economy, not haven).  multiply that by all the other port testing going on and it has to be crazy.

the one certainty is they have absolute numbers at different capacities that they can compare now to see if shutting down vs running is worth it. 

2 hours ago, Brian V said:

It's was -28c this morning where I am 🥶 - sitting on a ship in shorts and a tee shirt, sipping a Mojito sounds pretty damn good to me even if I have to wear a mask indoors!

Amen brother... from a Saskatonian sitting at -34ºC currently.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

My spouse and I are currently waiting to be assessed , I'm PCR - , spouse negative . The people in charge to be honest couldn't run a fish n chip stand . Zero for marks , bad taste in our mouth with service from NCL. I think the cruise industry can't handle the terrible ferrocious common cold like big. That's the end of the big numbers cruising for at least 2 generations 

2 minutes ago, bigwake said:

My spouse and I are currently waiting to be assessed , I'm PCR - , spouse negative . The people in charge to be honest couldn't run a fish n chip stand . Zero for marks , bad taste in our mouth with service from NCL. I think the cruise industry can't handle the terrible ferrocious common cold like big. That's the end of the big numbers cruising for at least 2 generations 

Looks like you posted this after a few cocktails.  😵

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

I was told on the Joy they used Pfizer and were boosting when eligible. 

According to this article, the Joy crew got J&J. 

image.png.cc8cd111f5ee2d487429d09a9660926e.png

https://crew-center.com/ncl-crew-norwegian-joy-and-gem-be-vaccinated-puerto-rico

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

I am very sad for Norwegian, we cruised end of November on the Joy after a 12 year break from the line. We were rooting for them as they required 100% vaccinations and were really trying hard. We had a great time and when we exhausted our FCC on other lines we were coming back. I hope they can hold it together and I think they are making a wise choice. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

They know how many have cancelled with the renewed POM but we don't.

Another concern for the cruise lines is the number of people cancelling for a refund at final payment.  There is a poll on another thread that shows a 75% cancellation rate.  So in about 6 weeks they may have only 450 paid passengers on a megaship.  I can't see them sailing if that is the case.

3 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Another concern for the cruise lines is the number of people cancelling for a refund at final payment.  There is a poll on another thread that shows a 75% cancellation rate.  So in about 6 weeks they may have only 450 paid passengers on a megaship.  I can't see them sailing if that is the case.

If Norwegian would loosen up their cancellation policy, then people wouldn't be taking such a big risk by keeping their booking.  There is no way I will book another cruise and get locked into it when nobody knows what things will be like in a few months. I am better off waiting until a couple of weeks before a cruise sails to book.  Norwegian should give people an incentive not to cancel before final payment by relaxing their refund policy.

I have a cruise on the 15th and a non refundable deposit on an August cruise (another line). 

Edited by TNcruising02

1 hour ago, craig01020 said:

I need to get one of those for my next cruise!

OMG … awesome idea!  Be sure to carry a clipboard with paper around the ship.  Frequently stare at something, then sigh,  and write some notes.  

• Haha 9

50 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

zoinks 200 mill a month burn. i did bermuda in oct and it was a very good price. no complaints at all but i did wonder while waiting 3 hours to get tested, who is paying for all those people there to test us? that was a lot of additional staff and i sure didnt see any increases in cruising pricing. (did economy, not haven).  multiply that by all the other port testing going on and it has to be crazy.

the one certainty is they have absolute numbers at different capacities that they can compare now to see if shutting down vs running is worth it. 

3hrs is a crazy wait. We cruised on thanksgiving with DCL and it was about a 30 minute wait for the test results and not wait at all to be tested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Well, the good thing for people booked on these cruises is that they can get a refund and move on with making other plans or holding off for awhile.

Not if you paid this current cruise with FCC from multiple cancelled cruises previously cancelled due to covid.

4 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

Seems like all the older ships

I was looking at the cruise port schedule from St Thomas. The only NCL ship currently on the schedule is the Norwegian Dawn, for Feb 2nd. There were no other NCL ships listed, through September 2022.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Brian V said:

It's was -28c this morning where I am 🥶 - sitting on a ship in shorts and a tee shirt, sipping a Mojito sounds pretty damn good to me even if I have to wear a mask indoors!

So it's 77F here in South Florida, a bit of a break from the heat we had through the holidays, but I'm with you, and I view indoor masking as all the more reason to stay outside or to ensure I'm "actively drinking."

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If Norwegian would loosen up their cancellation policy, then people wouldn't be taking such a big risk by keeping their booking.  There is no way I will book another cruise and get locked into it when nobody knows what things will be like in a few months. I am better off waiting until a couple of weeks before a cruise sails to book.  Norwegian should give people an incentive not to cancel before final payment by relaxing their refund policy.

I have a cruise on the 15th and a non refundable deposit on an August cruise (another line). 

I agree. Their current incentive is if you book early and a higher category room is less than what you paid for it after final payment you can't upgrade.  Makes no sense to book early, especially now when ships are only half booked.  Mini suite is $400 less than the original inside cabin price but can't be switched, nice incentive to book early.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

665C665A-8635-417E-ACA3-2B6208DE5C39.thumb.jpeg.901ab53967fc84c87a0b31e5cf47aa03.jpegD18DBB8F-C20C-4D78-9407-BCED6C5685B2.thumb.jpeg.57a7a7764354a8f2da5399ed15f28d18.jpeg54FC0D6C-5685-45FD-A784-5CB224827650.thumb.jpeg.e48747cf5362e65a62cb2a705adafd49.jpeg

Where (or how) did you get this?

I cannot see it anywhere on their site.

The search function is useless (to me anyway).

I can't see any links suggesting anything close to this announcement.

I ask, because, while my sailing is not effected, I would like to have a hard copy.

Thanks

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Snowrose said:

I was looking at the cruise port schedule from St Thomas. The only NCL ship currently on the schedule is the Norwegian Dawn, for Feb 2nd. There were no other NCL ships listed, through September 2022.

could you please share the site where you saw this info?  I have looked at a few and still seeing NCL ships listed.

Just now, SireDoime said:

Where (or how) did you get this?

I cannot see it anywhere on their site.

The search function is useless (to me anyway).

I can't see any links suggesting anything close to this announcement.

I ask, because, while my sailing is not effected, I would like to have a hard copy.

Thanks

i found it on ncl.com/newsroom/media-statements

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The only reason they can't sail at full capacity is that there aren't enough passengers who want to book. Demand is just not there. 

Source?

Based on the high prices of many NCL cruises they seem to intentionally want to keep capacity down.  In normal times if a ship isn't selling the computer algorithm lowers the price to meet the expected cabin sold rate.  Looking at most NCL cruises the prices seem quite high,  Thus we will be cruising other cruise lines in the near future.       

• Like 1

Just now, mianmike said:

Source?

Based on the high prices of many NCL cruises they seem to intentionally want to keep capacity down.  In normal times if a ship isn't selling the computer algorithm lowers the price to meet the expected cabin sold rate.  Looking at most NCL cruises the prices seem quite high,  Thus we will be cruising other cruise lines in the near future.       

The source comes directly from NCL and Del Rio. In the second quarter earnings call he specifically gives the timeline for when his ships will be able to sail with 100%. It is 60 days from the first day back in service. Then, at the third quarter earnings call he admits that his ships are only sailing at 57% occupancy.

I don't believe the high prices for advanced cruises are an intentional move to keep occupancy down. There are lots of financial reasons to keep those prices high given that NCL is still borrowing money to stay afloat. The real teller about capacity is that the last minute pricing on NCL over the fall was insanely cheap. For a cruise in December, you could book 7 nights in a balcony for under $400 and sometimes that included all 4 perks. They were practically giving cruises away to get bodies onboard. Take a look at these quarterlies and it may make a lot more sense.

https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/financial-information/financial-results

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

I did as well, but noticed the date is stated as 2021, so came here and whined about it like salted cheese. 🙄🤷🏿‍♂️

Well spotted!  There is also a "Travel Advisory" banner at the top of the home page for ncl.com.  Clicking on the "more info" gives the current update, with the correct date.  It's normal for NCL to publish first, proofread later.

• Haha 1