Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

Curve ball from CVS...

Preparing to book tests for 4/24 cruise (US-Cabo-US).  Used CVS in January without problem. Now website states the Rapid Test is available, but "not accepted for travel" although Princess accepts NAAT or antigen.

Can anyone clarify.  Do I take a chance with CVS rapid test?

Edited by jimmieg
Clarification

We just had the rapid tests at CVS yesterday and leave tomorrow on a Royal Caribbean cruise which accepts rapid antigen tests, just like Princess. I do not anticipate any problem boarding. I'll certain post if there's an issue. 

On 4/7/2022 at 6:16 PM, westcoaster said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the ArriveCan app saying 1 day.  As of April 1, pre-entry tests are not required to enter Canada, and the ArriveCan website states that.    Cruise pre-embarkation testing  has nothing to do with crossing the border, and it is not entered on ArriveCan

If you dig through the links on it there is a section on ships that says 1 day before embarkation for the antigen test.  Just not sure which is the "official" policy and is probably why Princess still says 1 day awaiting "official" current policy.

8 hours ago, jimmieg said:

Curve ball from CVS...

Preparing to book tests for 4/24 cruise (US-Cabo-US).  Used CVS in January without problem. Now website states the Rapid Test is available, but "not accepted for travel" although Princess accepts NAAT or antigen.

Can anyone clarify.  Do I take a chance with CVS rapid test?

I believe on my page it says “not accepted for some travel”. 

Edited by t&atravel

12 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

Mine formerly used "some travel" but now just "not accepted for travel" 

I wonder if its just different locals.  This is a screenshot I took just now.  Either way Princess does accept them, so no worries.  

9F597D9F-1C9C-43A1-AD8C-7081543EB8BB.png

18 hours ago, memoak said:

We have had several PCR tests through Kaiser here in Oregon and have always gotten results in abou 24 hours 

Problem(with our May 4 cruise) is that we planned to travel to Vancouver on the 2nd. Our options are limited - If we get a PCR test on the 1st, would that count as 3 days before embarkation? What about the Canadian "72-hour" rule?

When we sailed the HAL Koningsdam in January HAL clearly stated that "days before" did not include the day of embarkation.. but this is Canada, not San Diego.

We could take some Quest proctored Antigen tests with us and take at hotel.. with the chance of a positive result(after travelling through airports, public transport, etc.) and being quarantined. Lot of risk for a 4-day cruise..

Guess we could change our plans, get PCR test on the 2nd and fly into YVR the day before.. we never fly into embarkation ports on the day of the cruise.

Unfortunately, there is no IDNOW testing anywhere near us.

Edited by cattman

4 hours ago, t&atravel said:

I wonder if its just different locals.  This is a screenshot I took just now.  Either way Princess does accept them, so no worries.  

9F597D9F-1C9C-43A1-AD8C-7081543EB8BB.png

Hmmm. Local CVS's in our immediate area not stating that. Decided to drive to an LA county site where offering rapid and accepted for travel.

Utilizing the three day before option so will be off check list.

Just adding to the list of various agencies offering inconsistency.😉

3 hours ago, cattman said:

Problem(with our May 4 cruise) is that we planned to travel to Vancouver on the 2nd. Our options are limited - If we get a PCR test on the 1st, would that count as 3 days before embarkation? What about the Canadian "72-hour" rule?

When we sailed the HAL Koningsdam in January HAL clearly stated that "days before" did not include the day of embarkation.. but this is Canada, not San Diego.

We could take some Quest proctored Antigen tests with us and take at hotel.. with the chance of a positive result(after travelling through airports, public transport, etc.) and being quarantined. Lot of risk for a 4-day cruise..

Guess we could change our plans, get PCR test on the 2nd and fly into YVR the day before.. we never fly into embarkation ports on the day of the cruise.

I don’t see how the 72 hour rule could be enforced. How do they know when you are embarking ?  Arrivals are available from 11 onward as far as I know

I have been reading through all the pages, and posts and lets just say I am confused more than ever.

On the Princess website it states that we can order the Optum or Readas test kits and they are acceptable. 

Do I have to order one test kit per person, or if I order the pack of 3 test kits (6 total) can my entire family use this for the televisit?. 

If my departure date is on the 5th of the month would we take the test on the 4th or the 3rd?

Does anyone have any experience with the televisit? What happens? Are they watching and waiting with you for the entire 15 minutes? 

We are going into Canada, but I think we will end up staying on the ship and skip the hassle. 

Thank you in advance to all who answer my questions.

I appreciate the assistance. 

20 minutes ago, carma7007 said:

I have been reading through all the pages, and posts and lets just say I am confused more than ever.

On the Princess website it states that we can order the Optum or Readas test kits and they are acceptable. 

Do I have to order one test kit per person, or if I order the pack of 3 test kits (6 total) can my entire family use this for the televisit?. 

If my departure date is on the 5th of the month would we take the test on the 4th or the 3rd?

Does anyone have any experience with the televisit? What happens? Are they watching and waiting with you for the entire 15 minutes? 

We are going into Canada, but I think we will end up staying on the ship and skip the hassle. 

Thank you in advance to all who answer my questions.

I appreciate the assistance. 

Even if you don’t want to get off the ship you will still need to test to get on the ship. Just like needed yellow fever vaccine for cruises with Devils Island even if you don’t want to go ashore 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Even if you don’t want to get off the ship you will still need to test to get on the ship. Just like needed yellow fever vaccine for cruises with Devils Island even if you don’t want to go ashore 

I get that part. I actually have to take a Covid test every day for work due to my workplace rules (regardless of vaccination status) , so that does not bother me in the slightest. 

My question was about the testing kits and the televisits, if you can buy one box and it is good for multiple people, or if each person must purchase their own test kit in order to have the televisit. 

The Canadian rules are still a mess, so I think it will be a nice quiet ship evening on the balcony. 

8 minutes ago, carma7007 said:

I get that part. I actually have to take a Covid test every day for work due to my workplace rules (regardless of vaccination status) , so that does not bother me in the slightest. 

My question was about the testing kits and the televisits, if you can buy one box and it is good for multiple people, or if each person must purchase their own test kit in order to have the televisit. 

The Canadian rules are still a mess, so I think it will be a nice quiet ship evening on the balcony. 

We bought one kit and it has two tests to use for two different  people. 

2 hours ago, carma7007 said:

We have used the Abbott test from the Optus store with the embed visit several times when we were in the uk…very easy. 

On 4/1/2022 at 8:47 PM, rjp50 said:

It seems like most of these posts are by Americans who are preparing for cruises in the Caribbean.  We will be cruising in the Mediterranean at the end of May but only after spending 6 days in Switzerland.  Obviously getting any testing done stateside is impossible to meet Princess' time requirements.  Does anyone know what the policy will be for European cruises and what ways are there to meet those requirements for people like us who will not be flying directly to the cruise port?

Princess website states for European departures (not Southampton, UK where they are charging 60 US dollars)  'When possible we recommend guests take a medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) prior to leaving home to avoid queues and travel disruptions associated with a possible positive result on the day of embarkation. We understand that this may not be possible based on your travel plans, so for your convenience we are currently offering complimentary antigen testing at the terminal.'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Has anyone managed to confirm with Princess that this will actually happen? The first European cruises haven't started yet and as we go from Civvatavecchia on the7th May I don't want to get to the port and find there are no testing facilities. Imagine the stress of running round the town trying to find a testing centre without being able to speak the language with only a couple of hours before the cruise leaves. We're checked in on line but there is nothing in our booking about this apart from the above statement on the Princess home page. I've messaged Princess but had no reply.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:39 AM, cattman said:

Hi there. I'm on this cruise with you. I imagine if you do a PCR less than 72 hours from when you think you will board you should be ok. Or you could book an antigen somewhere here in Vancouver for sometime on the third. That's what  my wife and I will do soon I  think... It's day before boarding for antigen right?

Adam 

3 hours ago, ozziebound said:

Hi there. I'm on this cruise with you. I imagine if you do a PCR less than 72 hours from when you think you will board you should be ok. Or you could book an antigen somewhere here in Vancouver for sometime on the third. That's what  my wife and I will do soon I  think... It's day before boarding for antigen right?

Adam 

Thanks Ozziebound. Appreciate the suggestions but we would still run the risk of a positive result from the Antigen test and being quarantined in Vancouver. And if we go for a PCR before we leave we may not get results until after we begin travel. I see you live in Vancouver so while disappointing, a positive result would not be as much of an inconvenience for your family. 

Edited by cattman

26 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I believe it is a 2 day for Antigen test, 3 day for PCR.  Last I checked Princess had not updated their FAQ page for Canada.

Spoke with two(2) different people at Princess last Friday, and they are stickin' with 1 & 3, even after being reminded of the change 

20 minutes ago, cattman said:

Spoke with two(2) different people at Princess last Friday, and they are stickin' with 1 & 3, even after being reminded of the change 

Just to be contrary, does Princess have an *obligation* to change their policy to stay in step with Canada's policy?  Princess's old policy would still meet Canada's new policy, though it's now stricter than Canada requires.  Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer the laxer requirement, as I'm sure all of you would, I'm just offering another perspective.

1 hour ago, cattman said:

Asking a rep for policy details verbally isn't a good idea imo.  I personally know a party who was incorrectly advised by a Princess phone rep that a photocopy of their passports was sufficient for a California coastal cruise.  Incorrect- the itinerary has a stop in Mexico.

They were denied boarding at embarkation, along with many other parties.  The phone rep was prolific in handing out that same bad advice repeatedly.  Princess made it right later on, at least for the party we know.

Lesson learned: don't make any important decisions based by what a phone rep says.

17 minutes ago, mpk said:

Asking a rep for policy details verbally isn't a good idea imo.  I personally know a party who was incorrectly advised by a Princess phone rep that a photocopy of their passports was sufficient for a California coastal cruise.  Incorrect- the itinerary has a stop in Mexico.

They were denied boarding at embarkation, along with many other parties.  The phone rep was prolific in handing out that same bad advice repeatedly.  Princess made it right later on, at least for the party we know.

Lesson learned: don't make any important decisions based by what a phone rep says.

I understand. But Covid rules are ever changing and corporations are still free to enforce their own, even if different than the government mandated ones, at least where covid is concerned(and even good TAs are confused). In the situation you refer to, it's much easier to cover your butt if there is any question and just carry your actual passport.

We just want a clear idea of what to expect before we travel. But at this time one would have to default to the Princess answer, because as one previous poster stated, they are the ones who actually let you on the boat.. or we take a chance(in our case) and roll the dice at the port in a foreign country.

19 hours ago, Britcnm said:

We have used the Abbott test from the Optus store with the embed visit several times when we were in the uk…very easy. 

I've heard of people getting dud test kits so, for the two of us, I would probably want to get the 3 pack which is $99. Are these kits covered by insurance?

Edit: We don't take our laptops when we cruise and I'm wondering how feasible it is to do these proctored tests using a phone or an 8" tablet.

Edited by Thrak