Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I hope she has only a mild case and recovers.  A positive test like hers is a mystery, but the vaccine does not kill the virus, it just gives you immunity and a milder case.

My grandkids have been vaxxed and boosted twice and yet have tested positive asymptomatically twice for school activities. They didn't even know they had it - so the vaccine is doing its job.

She is doing well or at least as well as possible at 98. She has only a mild cough and will be out of isolation next Thursday 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjkTX said:

Going through much the same process since we are on the Southampton cruise 30 Sep.  It looks like we can go to Walmart and get the NAAT test free on the 27th.  Still haven't figured out how to test on the way home - we're spending one night in London so Princess won't do the test.

There are places in London and the LHR. Are you staying IN London or at a hotel by LHR? You can test the day before flying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nini said:

There are places in London and the LHR. Are you staying IN London or at a hotel by LHR? You can test the day before flying.

We're staying at the Crowne Plaza at LHR.  I looked this afternoon and it appears there are test places in each terminal you can make reservations for - so I'll probably do that :-)

9 hours ago, LT Hambone said:

Just my two cents -

Our cruise in August has been in the works for over 3 years. Multiple cancellations, four different itineraries, three different ships. Booked, re-booked, two cabin changes, lost some perks, gained some perks, now we have shipboard credit. Spent countless hours on the phone with the airline to book, re-book, find missing credits, and flight changes. Worked with two different hotels, multiple tour companies, and transfers to arrange and rearrange. Rinse, lather, repeat.

So if after three plus years of going through all of that and the only thing standing between me and a cold beer at the Tradewinds Bar is a vaccine card, a negative test, and wearing a mask on the ship, then (in my opinion) that is a small price to pay to be finally able to enjoy our trip.

Please note - your opinion may vary!

Amen! We also had several Alaska cruises canceled. Now we have our bucket Alaska cruisetour vacation booked for July '22. Bring on the vaccinations & BOOSTERS(why are they not required?), tests and mandated masks. What many selfish people fail to realize is that proper masking by ALL helps to prevent the spreading of COVID-19, not just to help protect yourself. In fact it really  takes a N95 or KN95 mask to protect yourself. 

• Like 1

Just now, Willwils said:

Amen! We also had several Alaska cruises canceled. Now we have our bucket Alaska cruisetour vacation booked for July '22. Bring on the vaccinations & BOOSTERS(why are they not required?), tests and mandated masks. What many selfish people fail to realize is that proper masking by ALL helps to prevent the spreading of COVID-19, not just to help protect yourself. In fact it really  takes a N95 or KN95 mask to protect yourself. 

Hope Princess enforces mask requirements when posted!

58 minutes ago, bjkTX said:

We're staying at the Crowne Plaza at LHR.  I looked this afternoon and it appears there are test places in each terminal you can make reservations for - so I'll probably do that 🙂

Then I think you are in good shape! Why are you not flying home the same day of disembarkation? I know it is none of my business, just wondering.

41 minutes ago, nini said:

Then I think you are in good shape! Why are you not flying home the same day of disembarkation? I know it is none of my business, just wondering.

I guess after a couple of scares with ships getting back in port hours late I just got in the habit of giving myself some breathing room.  Plus I have some mobility issues that are helped by a rest between legs of a trip.  This will be the first time I've tried going longer than 3 hours (thanks to medical intervention) so the idea of disembarking from the ship, getting transportation to the airport, dealing with the airport, then a 12-14 hour flight made me think an evenings rest would be appropriate 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bjkTX said:

I guess after a couple of scares with ships getting back in port hours late I just got in the habit of giving myself some breathing room.  Plus I have some mobility issues that are helped by a rest between legs of a trip.  This will be the first time I've tried going longer than 3 hours (thanks to medical intervention) so the idea of disembarking from the ship, getting transportation to the airport, dealing with the airport, then a 12-14 hour flight made me think an evenings rest would be appropriate 🙂

That totally makes sense. Do what works for you. At least you are close enough to LHR to take a shuttle over and get tested the day before you fly home.

20 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

For a while the CDC was tracking the so-called breakthrough transmissions, but the numbers of serious illnesses were so low - less than your chances of being struck by lightning - that they don't track those anymore.  At least I can't find them on the CDC website.

UK still does track second+ infections  with a couple of statistically predictive sources as well as test data

looking at the latest Flu/covid tracking  (pg 12 on the wk 21 report )

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/national-flu-and-covid-19-surveillance-reports-2021-to-2022-season

Also UK tracks self reporting  long covid which is overlooked by many as you can get long term symptoms even after mild exposure.

This is just one link

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/infections

on another point since I wrote the above yesterday 

9 hours ago, bjkTX said:

We're staying at the Crowne Plaza at LHR.  I looked this afternoon and it appears there are test places in each terminal you can make reservations for - so I'll probably do that 🙂

Princess have messed up a few Southampton cruise disembarkation  with people missing flights.

next day can be wise choice

Some of the LHR hotels have test facilities on site  Boots and Lloyds pharmacies also do them .

This is one example

https://katalysthealth.uk/fit-to-fly/heathrow/

Could bring some video proctored tests  with you.

Crown Plaza is not a great location and needs taxi hopper to get to/from the terminals. 

11 hours ago, bjkTX said:

I'd caution you about doing this at Heathrow. When we departed Heathrow terminal 2 last Monday it was chaos. Took us three hours to check in and there were queues going everywhere. I noticed the testing centre signs but I would do as least as possible at Heathrow. Probably the worst airport I have been through and locals in the queue with us said there had been stories about short staffing for quite a while.

4 hours ago, leck57 said:

I'd caution you about doing this at Heathrow. When we departed Heathrow terminal 2 last Monday it was chaos. Took us three hours to check in and there were queues going everywhere. I noticed the testing centre signs but I would do as least as possible at Heathrow. Probably the worst airport I have been through and locals in the queue with us said there had been stories about short staffing for quite a while.

What day of the week and time of the day were  you there ? Thanks!

We are leaving on an Alaskan cruise on July 30 from Vancouver.  We are arriving in Vancouver on the 27th.  Do I understand this correctly?

-have to use Arrivecan, but do not need a test to enter country

-we are vaccinated and boosted-can use an antigen test up to 3 days before sailing.  We will test on the 27th

-land tour ends in Fairbanks, Alaska on August 9th how is this handled?  Does Princess test us before the Alaskan land portion?

I read through a lot of pages on this site and Princess' site.  Thank you in advance.

6 hours ago, leck57 said:

LOL! @leck57 You are echoing DH and my sentiments about LHR. A fan? NOT! However, we are very spoiled by our user friendly and award winning PDX (Portland International Airport).

Having to wait until one hour before your flight takes off to find and get to your gate is insane.

In case others didn't see it, Princess has now posted to their Health Protocol FAQ their new MASK POLICY:

"Masks are recommended, but not required, in the majority of venues, though they may be required in select venues or situations. Please note that in an abundance of caution masks are required at all indoor locations on northbound and southbound Alaska voyages between Whittier and Vancouver until further notice. Masks will be provided to guests if needed."

I for one are glad they have new mask policy for peace of mind. Let's hope they enforce the rule. 

• Thanks 1

For me, the most stressful thing bout cruising is the pre board test. I am vaccinated and I feel fine! But so any folks test positive with no clue! The thought of having to cancel two days before a cruise worries me to death. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Userclown said:

For me, the most stressful thing bout cruising is the pre board test. I am vaccinated and I feel fine! But so any folks test positive with no clue! The thought of having to cancel two days before a cruise worries me to death. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It is what it is. We do several self tests in the week leading up to our PCR test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Userclown said:

Actually, the MOST stressful for us was needing to test one day prior to flying home. Adding more stress to the situation was not knowing if the Emerald was going to get its act together and do what they said they would do. They did figure it out and testing was very organized and smooth, the morning before leaving the ship.

At least you can control the pre cruise test by arranging your flights and testing at home. (this depends on where you are flying to)

43 minutes ago, nini said:

Actually, the MOST stressful for us was needing to test one day prior to flying home. Adding more stress to the situation was not knowing if the Emerald was going to get its act together and do what they said they would do. They did figure it out and testing was very organized and smooth, the morning before leaving the ship.

At least you can control the pre cruise test by arranging your flights and testing at home. (this depends on where you are flying to)

We moved from Washington to Florida about 3 years ago just so we could cruise more conveniently. Damn that covid! But gotta say, as easy as cruising out of Seattle. A lot to be said for living near a cruise port!

Edited by Userclown
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, nini said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/international-travel-testing-guide/   (dated May 21, 2022)

BTW- the following countries NO LONGER require Covid testing to enter:

Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Chile, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Croatia, Germany, Italy, Cyprus, France, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, Austria, Serbia, Kosovo, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Lucia, US Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, Maritius, Seychelles, Bahrain, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Israel, Indonesia, Malaysia, Maldives, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia

Canada will pick people at random to be tested as you leave the baggage area of airport terminals…..

On 6/4/2022 at 6:06 PM, memoak said:

She is doing well or at least as well as possible at 98. She has only a mild cough and will be out of isolation next Thursday 

Hope she is well and recovering quickly.

8 hours ago, ruimin said:

What day of the week and time of the day were  you there ? Thanks!

Monday late morning. Just Google Heathrow chaos and you'll get an idea of what things are like. Seems like any day is a problem.

2 hours ago, leck57 said:

Monday late morning. Just Google Heathrow chaos and you'll get an idea of what things are like. Seems like any day is a problem.

Oh no! we have 1PM flight on Thursday, leaving Southampton port 8:15 AM with private transfer, hopefully we will make it. Thanks again for answering.

• Like 1