Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

2 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

You are correct, Greece requires  in person testing as far as I know. Specifically stating that online proctoring will not work. The Rome airport or local Pharmacies will test for a fee. At least that is what I have been told. Will find out next week. 

Princess are saying Greece requires a test administered and certified in presence of testing staff.  Where it gets confusing is that UK gov says no testing needed to visit Greece and Greek government say no testing needed 

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Princess needs to clarify.

49 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Agree, I was curious because of comments that there was no check in Greece.

That may, on the surface, appear to be true however, I suspect Princess (and any other ship) wishing to get clearance to enter Greece is required to pre-submit some official version of a maritime declaration of health.  On that, the Commanding Officer would have to make attestations regarding vaccination, testing and current illnesses onboard the ship.  Just because a Greek authority doesn't ask to view a person's test results doesn't mean it hasn't been looked at and verified.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ElmaLee said:

Princess are saying Greece requires a test administered and certified in presence of testing staff.  Where it gets confusing is that UK gov says no testing needed to visit Greece and Greek government say no testing needed 

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Princess needs to clarify.

The thing is, a lot of the statements you refer to are for travel in general and do not cover special case like a cruise voyage.  Add to the confusion is that the Greece government is not posting anything about cruise voyages on their public website.  And more to the confusion is that Princess has gone beyond all other cruise lines for some reason (or at least they had as of last week and I am not planning on reviewing them all again).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The thing is, a lot of the statements you refer to are for travel in general and do not cover special case like a cruise voyage.  Add to the confusion is that the Greece government is not posting anything about cruise voyages on their public website.  And more to the confusion is that Princess has gone beyond all other cruise lines for some reason (or at least they had as of last week and I am not planning on reviewing them all again).

I don't believe Princess is alone in the testing requirement for cruises with Greece on the itinerary.  I have an upcoming Celebrity cruise and here is their current test protocol:

Screenshot_20220901-161110_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, bmwix said:

...We have the Rapid test kit provided by the government.  Can we take the test more than 48 hours before sailing?  We'll be sailing on the Majestic , Sept 10.  The ship delay the sailing till 11pm.  Does that means that we have to take the test on Friday and leave on Saturday.

Since you're a Vancouverite, then hands-down the best place to take the test is at home using a video proctoring service - gov't issed tests have been confirmed acceptable, so that way you only pay for the service of being watched and issuing the confirmation, much cheaper than even Shoppers.

Antigen tests remain 'up to 2 days' before, with the day of departure counting as Day Zero, time of day has never been relevant for antigen testing only Molecular which has always been 72hrs. As long as scheduled embarkation time is before midnight, you can test any time on Friday or Thursday as well as Saturday right up until you head to the pier provided results arrive in time.

13 hours ago, swdke said:

WejAre Covid test still free for cruises at urgent care or pharmacies?  I need a Covid test for a cruise sailing out of Canada.  We're flying to Canada on a Thursday morning, and boarding on a Saturday.  So if I want to take my test while still in the US, I'll need a PCR which is valid 72 hours.  Trying to figure out whether to go to a pharmacy like Walgreens or to an urgent care which can provide results within 24 hrs or same day pending when test is taken.  Anyone, wondering if this is going to cost no matter where I go.  I know back in November for a cruise I was not charged.  Perhaps my insurance covered, I don't know.  But what about now, what are cruises doing now for sailings out of Canada which still requires testing.  Thanks, appreciate your help and information.

Is it possible for you just to bring a  RAT with you, and do it here in Canada? You can then use your hotel for wifi and get the test proctored. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Does ArrriveCan ask you to upload Test Result?

If you are fully vaccinated (recommend going to ArriveCAN website if in doubt of whether or not you meet that definition) and you have uploaded a copy of your vaccination document, you are not currently asked to upload your Test Result.

8 minutes ago, kamelia said:

If you are fully vaccinated (recommend going to ArriveCAN website if in doubt of whether or not you meet that definition) and you have uploaded a copy of your vaccination document, you are not currently asked to upload your Test Result.

When I'm filling out my info on ArriveCAN, I'm not able to get past entering my date of embarkation, as it's still too early (even though we sail on the 7th!)  The next section, that I can't access yet, is entitled Public Health Requirements.  I presume that's where I'll upload my vax info, but you're saying I won't be asked for my test result?  Or do I just attest to the result but don't have to upload the test document?  Thanks!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

When I'm filling out my info on ArriveCAN, I'm not able to get past entering my date of embarkation, as it's still too early (even though we sail on the 7th!)  The next section, that I can't access yet, is entitled Public Health Requirements.  I presume that's where I'll upload my vax info, but you're saying I won't be asked for my test result?  Or do I just attest to the result but don't have to upload the test document?  Thanks!

When I completed the ArriveCAN app three weeks ago, I uploaded the PDF file with my vaccination record, but no proof of negative test result.  The only time I uploaded that was in the MedallionClass app.  I honestly do not remember if there was a question relative to results of any recent test, though.

1 hour ago, kamelia said:

48 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

I also am too early to get to the Health Statement part, hence my question about uploading test result. Some have said they were not asked for test result and I wondered if ArriveCan had already processed that info. I was able to upload Passport and Vaccination card. I used the 'take photo' option.

Edited by Tedferg
Typo

11 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I also am too early to get to the Health Statement part, hence my question about uploading test result. Some have said they were not asked for test result and I wondered if ArriveCan had already processed that info. I was able to upload Passport and Vaccination card. I used the 'take photo' option.

Seems to me it's processed after we do it on the app which alleviates having to show anything (QRS code) when entering Canada.  I don't believe we had to show it at all...never was asked for it in Victoria.
Now, I am wondering if it may be different when we fly to Canada and board the ship there?

Edited by suzyed

18 hours ago, martincath said:

Since you're a Vancouverite, then hands-down the best place to take the test is at home using a video proctoring service - gov't issed tests have been confirmed acceptable, so that way you only pay for the service of being watched and issuing the confirmation, much cheaper than even Shoppers.

Antigen tests remain 'up to 2 days' before, with the day of departure counting as Day Zero, time of day has never been relevant for antigen testing only Molecular which has always been 72hrs. As long as scheduled embarkation time is before midnight, you can test any time on Friday or Thursday as well as Saturday right up until you head to the pier provided results arrive in time.

I am assuming (I know, I know) that our tests have to be 2 or 3 days prior to the day we BOARD our ship in Canada even though we don't actually sail until the next day?

12 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Hi,

You can just do a test run on the ArriveCAN app.and it will take you all the way through to the health questionnaire. You just don’t submit it. There is a picture of a garbage can, that lets you delete the form. I just did a practise form and it does not ask for uploading the Covid test results. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Hi,

You can just do a test run on the ArriveCAN app.and it will take you all the way through to the health questionnaire. You just don’t submit it. There is a picture of a garbage can, that lets you delete the form. I just did a practise form and it does not ask for uploading the Covid test results. 

Thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julie3fan said:

ArriveCAN needs to be done within 3 days of sailing.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Thank you.

Agree on the 'test results'.  I've been following this thread because we have a Princess Hawaii cruise at Christmas and I like to be prepared, especially in these insane times.  We sail NCL out of Quebec City on 23 September and we are not required to test to enter Canada.  As of yesterday, at any rate!

2 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Hi,

They don't care about test results in ArriveCAN.  The cynic in me says it's because negative test results would fly in the face of any quarantine they might apply or additional test requirement.  ArriveCAN is really about having the info to follow-up on people that are supposed to isolate/quarantine and they can bug you about it with phone calls, or even show up at where you are supposed to be to check on you.  If you are able to bypass any restrictions, it doesn't mean much except the government gathering up personal info on incoming visitors and returning residents.

7 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Princess site says you need to be tested for cruise ships Boarding/disembarking/visiting Canada.

Yes, you are RIGHT.  See where wishful thinking got me?   I could make up some kind of excuse, but I just didn't read it 'right'.  I apologize to anyone who thought I knew what I was talking about.  Since we're in Quebec for 3 nites before boarding Pearl, so looks like we'll have to test in Canada to met the time requirement.  Oh how I love stuff like this, last-minute uncertainty ... detracts from my excitement of actually being able to take a cruise.

7 hours ago, suzyed said:

I am assuming (I know, I know) that our tests have to be 2 or 3 days prior to the day we BOARD our ship in Canada even though we don't actually sail until the next day?

Yes, it's been worded (in respect of Molecular tests anyway, with their more specific 72 hour deadline) as YOUR boarding time - not the first available boarding time, not scheduled departure time, but whatever your specific paperwork lists as the time YOU are supposed to be embarking. Same principal should apply, just looser as no time of day element, for Antigen tests. The crux is that Canada's 'special treatment' of cruiseships begins as soon as you join the onboard experience, that is when the extra riskiness of cruising begins (our Feds still assume more danger from cruising therefore the extra testing requirements no longer needed for any other mode of travel).

A few Princess megaship departures are after midnight this season, with boarding perhaps a little later than normal (I've seen some folks say they have got emails about 7pm embarkation times for example, rather than the usual 11am-3pm ish slots) but still on the calendar day before: if you're on one of those, you'll definitely need to have your Covid test valid at the time of your embarkation - that's when they'll check the paperwork after all!

If you are able to of course the sensible option is to ensure you comply with BOTH - then even if an incompetent, ill-trained idiot looks at your paperwork you're still good to go... in other words, get an Antigen test on Friday for a Saturday boarding/Sunday departure, you're good regardless of how the clock is interpreted!

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Agree on the 'test results'.  I've been following this thread because we have a Princess Hawaii cruise at Christmas and I like to be prepared, especially in these insane times.  We sail NCL out of Quebec City on 23 September and we are not required to test to enter Canada.  As of yesterday, at any rate!

It's no wonder people are losing their minds over the virus.  For our 23 September departure from Quebec City, NCL doesn't require a test.  But Canada does, at least for today.  What a bunch of baloney this all is! 

So a word to the wise ... no matter who/what/where, be sure to scrutinize the requirements of both your cruise line AND the country of your embarkation.