Allianz trip insurance - American Airlines

Hi,

Since our 1-15-22 cruise on Symphony was just flushed, we have $9K worth of AA tickets that we can't use/don't need. Trip credit is only good for 3 months! B$

Does anyone have personal experience with Allianz? Do we file an online claim? Do we need to contact AA first?

P.S. I'm gonna need AA after all of this. phew

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Also does the trip insurance cover the proctored emed kits I no longer need?

Will depend on your policy — I have an Allianz annual policy, and there is some testing covered, but you need to check exactly what your policy covers.

5 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Hi,

Since our 1-15-22 cruise on Symphony was just flushed, we have $9K worth of AA tickets that we can't use/don't need. Trip credit is only good for 3 months! B$

Does anyone have personal experience with Allianz? Do we file an online claim? Do we need to contact AA first?

P.S. I'm gonna need AA after all of this. phew

Thanks!

You can call AA, and see if they will extend your expiration date (they may be willing to, given all of the flight cancellations lately, they might be fine with pushing your travel back).  If that fails, then yes, file a claim with Allianz.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Depends on what Alliance policy you purchased.

If you purchased the Alliance policy that AA sells or attempts to sell on it's website when you initially make the reservations, then you might have luck getting your money back but Yes, you would have to file a claim.

Now, if you purchased an Alliance travel insurance policy to cover the cruise and all non refundable expenses,,, you're going to run into a problem. AA is going to offer you vouchers for future travel. Once AA does that, Alliance will consider you to have been made whole on the airline tickets.

However, were these tickets Business class tickets? If so, they may be fully refundable.

Also, I have heard it said that "some" insurance companies may work with you if you decline the airline vouchers, OR, if at the end of the terms when they get ready to expire, you may be able to then file a claim. But the exact wording and/or how to do this is unknown to me. Ask whomever sold you the insurance. They made a commission and are supposed to help you with claims.

• Like 1

Just now, klfrodo said:

If you purchased the Alliance policy that AA sells

Ticket's were purchased directly on AA and the insurance was an add on during that process. 2 tickets are business class and 2 tickets are first class the remaining tickets are Main Cabin+

Separately on 12/21/21 we bought the AON ROYAL CARIBBEAN TRAVEL PROTECTION for the cancelled cruise. I just spoke to them and they said we only had 10 days to cancel the policy and that it is non-refundable? $1,400 there... Will Royal refund the policy?

12 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

Ticket's were purchased directly on AA and the insurance was an add on during that process. 2 tickets are business class and 2 tickets are first class the remaining tickets are Main Cabin+

Separately on 12/21/21 we bought the AON ROYAL CARIBBEAN TRAVEL PROTECTION for the cancelled cruise. I just spoke to them and they said we only had 10 days to cancel the policy and that it is non-refundable? $1,400 there... Will Royal refund the policy?

You've got 2 policies

You should be good to go with AA regarding the 1st class and business class tickets. Those are usually fully refundable. (I could be wrong though). For the coach tickets, Yes, you'll probably need to file a claim. But talk to them.

Royal's Insurance. No, the policy is probably not refundable. However,,,, Is Royal giving you an FCC for a future cruise? If so, many travel insurance companies allow you to move the current policy to the newly booked cruise when you use your FCC. If you just take the refund from Royal, then the insurance will most likely be a loss.

10 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

For the coach tickets, Yes, you'll probably need to file a claim. But talk to them.

Currently a 3 1/2 hr wait so waiting on the call back. If I file a claim for the main cabin tickets do I need to cancel them first with AA?

19 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

You should be good to go with AA regarding the 1st class and business class tickets

Nope! All tickets are non-refundable. So now I'm filing the online claim. What a pain. You would think that since they are cancelling flights left and right that they would gladly have me cancel to free up space.

If you are holding nonrefundable tickets, insurance is not likely to cover them because the airline will offer you a trip credit or voucher, as you have already seen.

Insurance considers that reimbursement so you have no loss. No loss, no claim unless Allianz is different from other insurance policies.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

If you are holding nonrefundable tickets, insurance is not likely to cover them because the airline will offer you a trip credit or voucher, as you have already seen.

Insurance considers that reimbursement so you have no loss. No loss, no claim unless Allianz is different from other insurance policies.

This topic is addressed on the Insurance Forum here at Cruise Critic. I don't remember the resolution, but I think you can refuse the vouchers and claim them as a non-refundable expense. But the OP would need to research it. Steve from the Trip Insurance Store covers a lot of relevant topics. 

2 hours ago, Babr said:

Good to know that Allianz is one of the companies that allows that.

But hard to believe AA is only allowing 3 months on a credit i have always had a year to use the credit before.

Sound like here in the USA we need to talk with our congress and get  some rules like they have in Europe for refunds and delays

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

But hard to believe AA is only allowing 3 months on a credit

I was told tonight by the AA rep that the credit is 1 year from issue date.

Their website says this "**Flight Credit issued for flights voluntarily canceled by customers during the COVID-19 flexible period can be used for travel through March 31, 2022"

Not sure what the "flexible period" is.

Double check with Allianz and carefully read the policy they issued you.  Honestly, if I were them I would not pay out unless the policy clearly states that it covers cruise line cancellations or something very similar.  It is not the airlines fault that the cruise line cancelled the cruise.

It sounds like under the Allianz policy you only insured the flights (which usually includes travel to/from the airport, eg usually has words stating that it pays out if there is car accident on way to airport so you miss the flight, or you break a leg and can't travel, etc.).  Again, your policy may be different, always read the policy to know what is covered.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Double check with Allianz and carefully read the policy they issued you.  Honestly, if I were them I would not pay out unless the policy clearly states that it covers cruise line cancellations or something very similar.  It is not the airlines fault that the cruise line cancelled the cruise.

It sounds like under the Allianz policy you only insured the flights (which usually includes travel to/from the airport, eg usually has words stating that it pays out if there is car accident on way to airport so you miss the flight, or you break a leg and can't travel, etc.).  Again, your policy may be different, always read the policy to know what is covered.

I think you are right.

It doesn’t matter whether Allianz will let you refuse the voucher if you are not cancelling for a covered reason in the first place.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:11 PM, cruisegus said:

Sound like here in the USA we need to talk with our congress and get  some rules like they have in Europe for refunds and delays

Only thing is, who do you think pays for those generous reimbursements.

Like the law about how long they can keep you on board before departing.  So instead of waiting, they just cancel the flight for weather and all the passengers are on their own.