Arriving at pier and testing

Mkripke

Hello

I just booked the 2/12 Joy and have a couple questions, not sure if they were covered at a previous time

How early can you arrive at the pier/Do you need to schedule a time?

When you arrive, do you just wait in line to show paperwork and get tested?

Thank you and fingers crossed

When you complete your online check-in, you select a testing time from available 1/2hr windows.  That is the time you are asked to arrive, drop off your luggage, and then go to the testing area.  

You should receive a QR code in a separate email that you will want to have when you arrive.  They then scan your code and you queue up for testing.  It was pretty simple when we did it on the Escape last month.

I do not know what happens if you arrive earlier than your assigned time. 

I do not know what happens if you arrive earlier than yourassigned time. 
From JandC_crusing 

We arrived earlier that our testing time but on time for our check in time.  Nothing happened, we were herded with the rest into the testing area. Just have your bar code available, if not you have to leave line a get a CVS  test time and bar code, then the let you back in line

14 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

I do not know what happens if you arrive earlier than yourassigned time. 
From JandC_crusing 

We arrived earlier that our testing time but on time for our check in time.  Nothing happened, we were herded with the rest into the testing area. Just have your bar code available, if not you have to leave line a get a CVS  test time and bar code, then the let you back in line

I hope leaving the line doesn't happen to me and my husband. DH is registered, however he did not get a bar code. (my typing error for the email) 😞 I've read here that not having the bar code wasn't an issue and they just look the person up on the computer. 

19 minutes ago, debnjoe1438 said:

I hope leaving the line doesn't happen to me and my husband. DH is registered, however he did not get a bar code. (my typing error for the email) 😞 I've read here that not having the bar code wasn't an issue and they just look the person up on the computer. 

We tested in Miami.  Those that did not have bar codes we moved out of the line to a row of computers(7-8) manned by CVS employees, after receiving their bar codes the got back in line.  I can’t tell you the time it took to obtain those bar codes. 

5 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

We tested in Miami.  Those that did not have bar codes we moved out of the line to a row of computers(7-8) manned by CVS employees, after receiving their bar codes the got back in line.  I can’t tell you the time it took to obtain those bar codes. 

Hopefully not long. At any rate, we have a 9 to 9:30 time slot, so hopefully not many folks there at that time.

10 hours ago, Mkripke said:

When you go through the second part of the On-Line check in process, you can choose a time.  The times vary based on priority and cabin type to stager boarding.

10 hours ago, Mkripke said:

Yes you do.  Socially distant, families together.  When the call you for the testing it is two at a time family members.  You then sit down with your family group hopefully everyone respects your space which is what happened to us.  

You watch a screen and your initials and birthdate show up in about 20 minutes.  Then you go in the terminal and do the cruise check in.  

I was on the Joy out of Miami on November 27, 2021.  Have a great time so enjoy.

Hope that helps.

Cruise well

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 5:54 PM, cheersforbeers said:

Just have your bar code available, if not you have to leave line a get a CVS  test time and bar code,

Just trying to finalize our online check in for our Joy cruise 2/12, trying to register with CVS and of course, they require a US address...

We had the same thing on our Encore trip out of Seattle, used the address of the hotel we stayed at for Eurofins registration and had no problems (was actually 1st result out!) but that was not CVS so, just wondering if any other non US residents have done this with CVS.

I would rather get this all looked after before we arrive at the pier 🙂

On 1/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, Mkripke said:

Hello

I just booked the 2/12 Joy and have a couple questions, not sure if they were covered at a previous time

Thank you and fingers crossed

I just read the NCL policy below.  Is this your understanding?  We sail in April (transAtlantic to Europe) and figured we better have our test results in hand at the pier

"Beginning January 17, 2022, we will eliminate COVID-19 testing at the terminal and instead require guests to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result at least two calendar days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and at least three calendar days prior for cruises departing from a non-U.S. port. The COVID-19 antigen or PCR test must be administered by a verified third party.”

If guests are unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at their own expense for $99 per person"

9 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

I just read the NCL policy below.  Is this your understanding?  We sail in April (transAtlantic to Europe) and figured we better have our test results in hand at the pier

"Beginning January 17, 2022, we will eliminate COVID-19 testing at the terminal and instead require guests to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result at least two calendar days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and at least three calendar days prior for cruises departing from a non-U.S. port. The COVID-19 antigen or PCR test must be administered by a verified third party.”

If guests are unable to provide proof of a negative result at the time of embarkation, testing will be available at the terminal at their own expense for $99 per person"

That's outdated. NCL will be testing at the pier on embarkation day through Feb 28, 2022 . 

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Universal testing & Pre-Embarkation Protocols

Cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022:
All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test, administered and paid for by the cruise line, prior to boarding and receive a negative result. Any positive antigen test will be confirmed with a PCR test. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

In addition, while guests will be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival at the terminal pre-embarkation, we highly recommend that guests self-test at home prior to departure.

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference's Scarlet service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional testing.

5 hours ago, Brian V said:

Just trying to finalize our online check in for our Joy cruise 2/12, trying to register with CVS and of course, they require a US address...

We had the same thing on our Encore trip out of Seattle, used the address of the hotel we stayed at for Eurofins registration and had no problems (was actually 1st result out!) but that was not CVS so, just wondering if any other non US residents have done this with CVS.

I would rather get this all looked after before we arrive at the pier 🙂

Ugh. Obviously they didn't consider that not every passenger is from the US. I just tried to register with CVS using our Miami hotel address and it requires a US mobile number or it won't complete the registration. I too would rather have this all done before getting to the pier but I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

5 hours ago, adhncruisers said:

Ugh. Obviously they didn't consider that not every passenger is from the US. I just tried to register with CVS using our Miami hotel address and it requires a US mobile number or it won't complete the registration. I too would rather have this all done before getting to the pier but I guess we'll just have to hope for the best.

Actually completed this with Miami hotel address and just my regular (Telus) mobile - it took it fine for me - barcodes are now saved on our phones along with vax qr codes and id 🙂

Guessing as long as it is in the 001 (+1) country code, you should be good 👍

Oh, another point - they will text you a link for your results so if you use the same number for you and your travelling companions, you will only have to be "roaming" on 1 phone if that is a concern for you.

Edited by Brian V
Added Info
  • Thanks 1

Concern is with PCR test.  Had a relative perform a pcr test 72 hours prior on Wednesday.  Their embarkation was yesterday and they flew out on  Friday.

His wife's test came back negative fairly quickly but his was delayed.  Didn't get the negative result until late yesterday after going through testing at pier.

If I want a quick, unreliable test I will need to get the antigen test and that is the issue.

Had he tested positive at the port, he wouldn't have been able to prove a negative test at that time.

On 1/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, cheersforbeers said:

I hope that's not the current process, the CVS system seems to consistently send a single barcode on a reservation and there is no way to get the barcode resent - at least not one I've been able to find.  CVS is hopeless.  The last rep I spoke to at Norwegian said no problem, just show up together.  I suppose he could have been referring to what you described.

6 hours ago, jlseymour3 said:

I hope that's not the current process, the CVS system seems to consistently send a single barcode on a reservation and there is no way to get the barcode resent - at least not one I've been able to find.  CVS is hopeless.  The last rep I spoke to at Norwegian said no problem, just show up together.  I suppose he could have been referring to what you described.

We did an online check in with CVS.  Two people on the reservation and got two barcodes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DonnaK said:

I'm so confused.  For a cruise that departs in February, you need a negative antigen or PCR test taken prior to sailing, and then you are tested again at the pier prior to boarding?

You are not required to have a negative antigen or PCR test prior to traveling to the port.

NCL "strongly encourages" this 96 hours before and you will then be tested prior to boarding at the pier by NCL and need to test negative.

My understanding of this, as has been mentioned by others, would be that NCL will assist with costs related to a quarantine (hotel and so forth) if you have previously tested negative prior to trip. 

Edited by Thain

We arrived at port of LA.  Bar codes from a previous cruise did no good as they did not know how to handle that.  The young lady took over 25 minutes typing in our information and had the supervisor assist twice.  We knew we were going to be in trouble when she asked what state we were from.  We said Iowa, and she kept putting in Ohio.  She had never heard of Iowa.  Supervisor had lame excuse why our bar codes were no good.  A look of shock when we said we had just gotten off of another NCL ship and then told us to expedite with the bar codes.

29 minutes ago, Thain said:

You are not required to have a negative antigen or PCR test prior to traveling to the port.

NCL "strongly encourages" this 96 hours before and you will then be tested prior to boarding at the pier by NCL and need to test negative.

My understanding of this, as has been mentioned by others, would be that NCL will assist with costs related to a quarantine (hotel and so forth) if you have previously tested negative prior to trip. 

Thanks for clarifying...that makes sense.

So, do you need an appointment for the test at the pier, or do they just test you as part of the check-in.  This would be the port of New York.  (Norwegian Getaway)

27 minutes ago, DonnaK said:

Thanks for clarifying...that makes sense.

So, do you need an appointment for the test at the pier, or do they just test you as part of the check-in.  This would be the port of New York.  (Norwegian Getaway)

you dont need to make an appointment. it is part of the checkin in process. when you do the online checkin, you will register for the testing provider

43 minutes ago, mrbucky said:

We arrived at port of LA.  Bar codes from a previous cruise did no good as they did not know how to handle that.  The young lady took over 25 minutes typing in our information and had the supervisor assist twice.  We knew we were going to be in trouble when she asked what state we were from.  We said Iowa, and she kept putting in Ohio.  She had never heard of Iowa.  Supervisor had lame excuse why our bar codes were no good.  A look of shock when we said we had just gotten off of another NCL ship and then told us to expedite with the bar codes.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why would you use a bar code from a "previous" cruise?  Wouldn't you have to register with each new cruise?