Arriving at pier and testing

Mkripke

31 minutes ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why would you use a bar code from a "previous" cruise?  Wouldn't you have to register with each new cruise?

not sure about the LA port, i have done two cruises out of NYC. The testing provider was Eurofins and the bar code was like my Eurofins account number. for both of my cruises, the barcode was the same

to register the new cruise all i had to do was just log into my existing eurofins account and then it was added to my account

Edited by shof515

28 minutes ago, debnjoe1438 said:

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why would you use a bar code from a "previous" cruise?  Wouldn't you have to register with each new cruise?

This is what I was wondering also.  I have had 3 different cruises, in 3 different ports, but all with Eurofins as the testing provider.  I received a new bar code when doing my check-in for each cruise.

And to clarify about the testing 96 hours prior to arriving at the port, NCL states they will help with expenses NOT covered by travel insurance if you test positive at the port.  This detail seems to be missed in most explanations and if you do not have travel insurance, I believe you will be on your own.

30 minutes ago, shof515 said:

not sure about the LA port, i have done two cruises out of NYC. The testing provider was Eurofins and the bar code was like my Eurofins account number. for both of my cruises, the barcode was the same

to register the new cruise all i had to do was just log into my existing eurofins account and then it was added to my account

Thanks for the explanation. I'm thinking CVS is proably different ans you don't make an account.

I had a CVS bar code for my December 11, 2021, Escape cruise with a scheduled 9:30 a.m. test time.  When we arrived at 8:30, there was absolutely no line and we were taken into the testing tent immediately. When the person scanned my bar code, nothing came up, and I was sent to the testing station.  The tester again tried to get the bar code to work but to no avail.  At that point, all of my information was entered and she hand wrote my test sticker.  This added about a 15 minute delay.  Results came back within ten minutes and we then went to check-in.  No lines again, and were were assigned to the first boarding group.  We were on the ship at 10:35 a.m.  It was perhaps the quickiest and easiest embarkation ever.  This was at Port Canaveral.  At around 11:30, I noticed there was a fairly long line at the testing tent.

This was the last maskless NCL cruise and perhaps the best ever that we have experienced.  With masks now required, we won't be cruising again until masks are no longer mandated on ship.  With so much uncertainty, we booked this cruise last minute.  Even booking last minute, we were worried that masks would be required on this sailing after masks were required on the NCL ship sailing out of New Orleans that same week.  Luckily for us, and unlucky for those who followed us, the mask mandate didn't happen until the December 18th sailing.  Once protocols are eased, we will again cruise, but again only booking last minute.  This is possible for us because the Florida ports are within a 12-15 hour drive.  

31 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

Ok, so just to clarify this please. Regardless if you had an Antigen test done 72hrs prior to boarding in Miami, Norwegian still tests, "Everyone", at the Miami port ?? If so, why would you get tested prior to arriving at the port ?

If you want NCL to cover any travel related expensive if you test positive with the terminal testing and your covid result shows you are negative

Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

34 minutes ago, rick160158 said:

Ok, so just to clarify this please. Regardless if you had an Antigen test done 72hrs prior to boarding in Miami, Norwegian still tests, "Everyone", at the Miami port ?? If so, why would you get tested prior to arriving at the port ?

Yes, as of now, subject to change, *all* passengers are tested by NCL at the pier.  You must have a negative result, no ifs, ands or buts.  If you test positive at the pier, they will do a second test to verify the positive.  If you're positive, you don't sail, period.

You can choose, but are not required, to do a test on your own prior to arriving at the pier.  Presuming that test is negative, and then you test positive at the pier, NCL will assist with quarantine arrangements (varying reports on this process are on these boards) and will cover expenses not covered by your insurance.  This only happens if you have the (negative) test done prior to arrival.  I have personally not read what happens to those that don't have insurance, but it seems obvious that this would be a poor time to travel without insurance.

Is this clear, or do you still have questions?

(Posted at the same time as shof515.)

Edited by julie3fan

5 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Yes, as of now, subject to change, *all* passengers are tested by NCL at the pier.  You must have a negative result, no ifs, ands or buts.  If you test positive at the pier, they will do a second test to verify the positive.  If you're positive, you don't sail, period.

You can choose, but are not required, to do a test on your own prior to arriving at the pier.  Presuming that test is negative, and then you test positive at the pier, NCL will assist with quarantine arrangements (varying reports on this process are on these boards) and will cover expenses not covered by your insurance.  This only happens if you have the (negative) test done prior to arrival.  I have personally not read what happens to those that don't have insurance, but it seems obvious that this would be a poor time to travel without insurance.

Is this clear, or do you still have questions?

(Posted at the same time as shof515.)

👍

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

If you want NCL to cover any travel related expensive if you test positive with the terminal testing and your covid result shows you are negative

Please note for cruises with embarkation dates through February 28, 2022: If a guest receives a positive COVID test at the pier testing at arrival, they will be denied boarding and will likely be required to quarantine by local officials. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by their travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of their travel date. Guests who are unable to provide proof of a negative test taken within 96-hours of their travel date will not qualify for reimbursement should the applicable expenses not be covered by their travel insurance.

• Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 96-hours of travel date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

👍

Does anyone have a sense of how the crowds for testing vary over time?  I picked the 9-9:30 check in slot, but have since found out that our first available hotel shuttle is at 10.  So I am trying to decide if it's worth getting an Uber instead.  I don't particularly care what time we get on the ship; I would just prefer to avoid crowds through the testing phase.  

We just went through the testing in Miami on 1/16. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. If you can’t get a PCR test within 96 hours that will get you results before you leave (in our state labs were backed up and it was taking 5-7 days) and want NCL to cover any expenses not covered by your travel insurance in the event you test positive, consider ordering a proctored antigen test to do at home before you leave. We did the proctored BinaxNow tests, which were $33 apiece. You sign in and someone from India or the Philippines watches you swab yourself, 

2. if you don’t want to risk having to wait for hours and hours to get your luggage back in the event that you test positive, either (a) take your luggage with you to testing and hand it over after you know you are negative, or (b) take a home test at your hotel before you leave. We opted for the latter. I knew it was not likely that we would test positive, but I didn’t want to add insult to injury by having to sit at the pier for hours waiting for luggage. Based on some posts I read here, I saw that was happening with some people. How miserable! 

The testing process was easy. We did our online checkin at midnight as soon as it was available and got a 9-9:30 slot. Had to watch the safety video 4 times as we individually registered every member of our party. Snagged screen shots of each person’s barcode and put them in a “check-in” photo album on our phones.

There was no line outside when we got there, but a very short line inside. You show them your barcode, your vaccine card and your passport. You swab yourself while they watch, so very easy, They are no longer posting test results on a screen, just the time. You will get an email to the address you used to register within 15 minutes of your doing the test. Cell reception in there was not great, but we got the emails. Once you get the negative result, they scan the sticker they gave you, then you go on to security and check-in, We were in the Haven waiting area by 10 a.m. I’m sure it gets busier later in the day, but in the morning, was not bad at all. 

Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We just went through the testing in Miami on 1/16. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. If you can’t get a PCR test within 96 hours that will get you results before you leave (in our state labs were backed up and it was taking 5-7 days) and want NCL to cover any expenses not covered by your travel insurance in the event you test positive, consider ordering a proctored antigen test to do at home before you leave. We did the proctored BinaxNow tests, which were $33 apiece. You sign in and someone from India or the Philippines watches you swab yourself, 

2. if you don’t want to risk having to wait for hours and hours to get your luggage back in the event that you test positive, either (a) take your luggage with you to testing and hand it over after you know you are negative, or (b) take a home test at your hotel before you leave. We opted for the latter. I knew it was not likely that we would test positive, but I didn’t want to add insult to injury by having to sit at the pier for hours waiting for luggage. Based on some posts I read here, I saw that was happening with some people. How miserable! 

The testing process was easy. We did our online checkin at midnight as soon as it was available and got a 9-9:30 slot. Had to watch the safety video 4 times as we individually registered every member of our party. Snagged screen shots of each person’s barcode and put them in a “check-in” photo album on our phones.

There was no line outside when we got there, but a very short line inside. You show them your barcode, your vaccine card and your passport. You swab yourself while they watch, so very easy, They are no longer posting test results on a screen, just the time. You will get an email to the address you used to register within 15 minutes of your doing the test. Cell reception in there was not great, but we got the emails. Once you get the negative result, they scan the sticker they gave you, then you go on to security and check-in, We were in the Haven waiting area by 10 a.m. I’m sure it gets busier later in the day, but in the morning, was not bad at all. 

The email registered with - would this be the email NCL has or the email given to CVS when registered? I ask as I apparently put in an incorrect email for my husband. I called to see if I could get the bar code after the fact - no such luck. At any rate I did ask the CVS rep to correct the email address. She said she did, however who knows. I suppose we may have to reconfirm email address at the testing area. 

4 minutes ago, debnjoe1438 said:

The email registered with - would this be the email NCL has or the email given to CVS when registered? I ask as I apparently put in an incorrect email for my husband. I called to see if I could get the bar code after the fact - no such luck. At any rate I did ask the CVS rep to correct the email address. She said she did, however who knows. I suppose we may have to reconfirm email address at the testing area. 

The email given to CVS when you registered. I know this because my husband registered our teens using his email address, and he was the one who got their test results. 

25 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

Thank you as this post is very helpful.   We will take your suggestion and also take a home test at our hotel before we leave for the terminal for an additional peace of mind.    As we also have a 9:00-9:30 a.m. check in time, what time did you arrive at the port?

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

Thank you as this post is very helpful.   We will take your suggestion and also take a home test at our hotel before we leave for the terminal for an additional peace of mind.    As we also have a 9:00-9:30 a.m. check in time, what time did you arrive at the port?

According to my eDocs the time you select for check in is when you are supposed to arrive at the pier.   

3 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

The email given to CVS when you registered. I know this because my husband registered our teens using his email address, and he was the one who got their test results. 

Thanks, we will have to make sure to verify the email at the port.

4 hours ago, vacation44 said:

We arrived about 8:45, parked the car, and got in the testing line about 9:00.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if they are accepting proof of recovery in place of a negative test?  Hubby tested positive last week and we are cruising in two weeks.  He is symptom free and almost "freed" from isolation, but I am worried about getting the negative test.  His doctor will give him a letter stating that he is fully recovered - which would be good enough to get back into the US on a flight.  But I can't find this info anywhere for the ship.  I did find it for Princess and Holland America....

25 minutes ago, Cinziaeye said:

Does anyone know if they are accepting proof of recovery in place of a negative test?  Hubby tested positive last week and we are cruising in two weeks.  He is symptom free and almost "freed" from isolation, but I am worried about getting the negative test.  His doctor will give him a letter stating that he is fully recovered - which would be good enough to get back into the US on a flight.  But I can't find this info anywhere for the ship.  I did find it for Princess and Holland America....

I answered the question a couple of hours ago on the other thread where you posted it, but I'll repeat my answer.

They don't accept proof of recovery. A negative test is required.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:30 AM, Mkripke said:

Hello

I just booked the 2/12 Joy and have a couple questions, not sure if they were covered at a previous time

How early can you arrive at the pier/Do you need to schedule a time?

When you arrive, do you just wait in line to show paperwork and get tested?

Thank you and fingers crossed

Just got back for the Joy, don't know it your questions have been anwered, however I'll give you my experience. When I did the checkin and got to the CVS section , I had put in my husbands email inccorrectly. There fore I had a bar code and he didn't. I stressed big time thinking there would be issues. I stressed for nothing. We arrived at the port before 9am (don't remember exact time) We dropped of our luggage and headed to the testing area. Before entering the testing area we had to go thru a quick security check. We got in line and waited 5 to 10 minutes before being sent over to a CVS rep. This person scanned my bar code and put a code on a 4X5 card with a time of 9:25. Then she looked up DH on her computer (took about 10 seconds) then put a code on another 4X5 card with a time of 9:25. She then told us after the test was done we would wait in the specified area and at 9:25 we could find the CVS reps in the red shirts and get our results. After her part was done we were sent over to another desk for the test. We were handed the swab and did the swab in the nose part our selves. I don't believe we spent more than 5 minutes total with these ladies. At 9:25 we found the ladies in red and got our results. (The results were also sent by text, shortly after we had seen the ladies in red) We were checked in and on the ship arount 10am.  I would imagine early embarkation was due to no passengers the week before.

• Like 2