Anthem Disappointment (Really RCCL In General)

We were on Anthem for the NYE cruise. We treated it a bit like sailing in the heart of hurricane season (which we have done -- and will be doing again, this Aug./Sept on Oasis) -- meaning stuff could happen/change.

And yes, some stuff went sideways...missed ports and so on. But the crew was nothing short of amazing, even when it was clear there was concern about the spread of Omicron among the crew. Although I was very torn about going -- the CDC recommendations literally dropped the day before we went — it was a thoroughly enjoyable cruise, thanks to an amazing staff.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 3:55 PM, cruising247365 said:

Oh, we have been on CC for a decade now, just never posted!  We even have some of the CC swag.  We feel like we know many of you well...reading all the posts back in March 2020, especially around stock shares, was very interesting!  We are longtime cruisers, love cruising, but love vacationing even more.  Stayed away from cruising because the constant masking, testing, staffing, itinerary changes, lessened venues, lessened entertainment (look at the Cirque show), and yet higher and higher prices.  Been putting our money to more secure trips...flying private we do not worry about the flights, etc.  Cruising was always our bastion, though, but current situation with soaring pricing has kept us away.  Was trying to dip back in, thought a nice butler suite might be nice again but it just seems cruising is simply not ready to be fully back.  All this testing, other issues mentioned simply do not seem like a vacation.  We certainly do miss it though! 

We were just citing Haiti because as others have also mentioned, RCL still sells excursions or list the itineraries even though they know it is not happening (probably IT).  But this situation seems a bit more surreptitious, as they clearly know/knew what was coming, but let people buy anyway.  And then to not offer credits...seems bad form.  I just checked again and they still have the same itinerary listed and up for sale.  Really wanted to let others know of the Anthem changes, and perhaps help someone before they book if they wanted St Kitts or St Lucia.  Those ones have not been because of policy changes like San Juan...more just discretionary changes due to different sailing routes.  We had expected them to replace San Juan but they are not.  Again, speaks to what I said...trying to sail during covid is really not feeling like a 'vacation' but more of a hassle/stress issue than anything!  We know we are not the only people who feel this way. 

As shareholders, we truly want cruising to be completely back lol.  We were really hoping this would be 'it'.

"Stayed away from cruising because the constant masking, testing, staffing, itinerary changes, lessened venues, lessened entertainment (look at the Cirque show), and yet higher and higher prices.  Been putting our money to more secure trips...flying private we do not worry about the flights" - so, is high pricing actually your concern or not?

"we truly want cruising to be completely back.  We were really hoping this would be 'it'" - some will say this statement sounds delusional.

"trying to sail during covid is really not feeling like a 'vacation' but more of a hassle/stress issue than anything!  We know we are not the only people who feel this way" - the only way to avoid such feeling is to remove thinking (and as result mental feeling) during cruising altogether (actually starting preparation for a cruise through the moment you are back in your castle (house)).

On 1/13/2022 at 3:58 PM, JT1962 said:

Unless you are happy with being on a ship that may or may not stop at any ports,  with possibly limited entertainment and onboard activities, potentially being quarantined, etc., now is not the time to be cruising. If available, take a refund. You are then not tied to any particular cruise line, timeframe or even a cruise. For most people, there are much better vacation options currently than cruising. 

like being stuck in dirty hotel rooms, horrible food, and alike with management stating that everything is due to ... (everyone may fill in dots for last 2 years).  while cruises became even better than 2 years ago (I read a lot of comments lately praising food and more).  Like my cruise agent keep saying for over 20 years about cruise ships - "where else on the planet (even including hospitals) can you find some one literally constantly cleaning after you like on stairs and especially in washrooms?"  Sometimes, actually I feel a little bit uneasy thinking (in a good way) about a cleaning person on the ship - "could you please give me a couple minutes and not stare at me to be ready to clean right after I close the faucet and step away from the sink or when drying myself after taking a shower in a sauna area/changing room?".

On 1/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, pcur said:

In my mind my upcoming cruises for the next 5 months are "cruises to nowhere", and if I end up in a port I'll be delighted!!!  I will be happy to be on a ship and have all the nice amenities I don't get in my daily life.  More specifically, gorgeous ocean views.

Seriously, anyone that thinks cruising is going to be pre-2020 level right now is habitating the underside of a rock, or they are deliberately avoiding the huge amount of current information about cruising these days.

The majority thought this way in March 2020 (actually, it was 2-3 months mentality back than I would say).  So, yes it could be 5 months, or 5 years, or 4 months bad, then 4 months good, then by next fall all over again, or never stop for 20 years or more being bad/good months.

7 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Just off the Jan 9th Anthem.  We got $158 in refundable OBC for the missed ports.  They said it was one full day of sailing but it may have also been for the port charges and taxes.

I was on that sailing too and we received 2 separate refundable OBC's - one for much smaller amount that I assumed was for the port fees and the other for 1 day of our cruise fare.   I will have to look at onboard account if still available on the app to see the amounts.

3 hours ago, kirtihk said:

The majority thought this way in March 2020 (actually, it was 2-3 months mentality back than I would say).  So, yes it could be 5 months, or 5 years, or 4 months bad, then 4 months good, then by next fall all over again, or never stop for 20 years or more being bad/good months.

And, therefore "cruises to nowhere" will become more common in the future.  Still will be nice to be on a ship.