Anthem Disappointment (Really RCCL In General)

39 minutes ago, BND said:

Well, you did mention it twice like it carries some kind of weight.    I also think the majority of us didn't buy it to enhance our portfolios.

Lol, no...saying it because all of us want cruising to do well, and most of us are quite literally invested in them doing so!  Thanks! 😃

I have seen so many threads of people upset that their cruise had restrictions. I think if you are considering cruising now, you need to have realistic expectations of what cruising during a pandemic is like. There have been numerous topics on here and FB groups about the crusing experience currently. I have a cruise in a little over a month. My only expectations are decent food, my lava flow every day and being able to sit on my balcony and enjoy the peace. Even in the midst of a pandemic,  I will not be at home working, cooking or cleaning. 

• Like 28

This is the same on ALL cruise lines, here and in Europe. Missed or changed ports, missed entertainment because of illness, etc. We're going on the Wonder in March, and we're expecting anything, but we will enjoy ourselves in spite of it all. We have each other, and we'll be waited on. Can't ask for more than that.

• Like 7

In my mind my upcoming cruises for the next 5 months are "cruises to nowhere", and if I end up in a port I'll be delighted!!!  I will be happy to be on a ship and have all the nice amenities I don't get in my daily life.  More specifically, gorgeous ocean views.

Seriously, anyone that thinks cruising is going to be pre-2020 level right now is habitating the underside of a rock, or they are deliberately avoiding the huge amount of current information about cruising these days.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Is St. Kitts off limits also?

I don't believe so, but recently ships have had to pull it from the itineraries.  Not sure if it is due to the ship numbers or the numbers at the island itself.  I know that Anthem just pulled it for the current sail it is on right now.

Agree that OP was best off cancelling.  While it is unfair to advertise cruises with ports RC knows they won't be calling upon, it is unreasonable for cruisers not to expect the unexpected.  We have a four night cruise coming up in two weeks, and if I am well taken care of and get to spend time with my family who is cruising with me, it will be a good cruise.  Costa Maya may or may not happen.  Heck, it was booked as a cruise to Cozumel.  So we will see how it goes - and enjoy our time together on the ship.  Cruising in a pandemic really is a gamble - but one I am willing to take. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, pcur said:

In my mind my upcoming cruises for the next 5 months are "cruises to nowhere", and if I end up in a port I'll be delighted!!!  I will be happy to be on a ship and have all the nice amenities I don't get in my daily life.  More specifically, gorgeous ocean views.

Seriously, anyone that thinks cruising is going to be pre-2020 level right now is habitating the underside of a rock, or they are deliberately avoiding the huge amount of current information about cruising these days.

Ha, we were thinking that maybe a cruise to nowhere would be awesome, no worries about testing for ports!  Though, I would miss the joys of pulling into the ports...sailing out of St Maarten, St Thomas, Greece...*sighs longingly*

13 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Spot on LAM!!  I am very sorry to hear about the tough spell you are going through with your family!!  We are all living it unfortunately and it is VERY disruptive.

I am also so glad that you are all vaccinated as it definitely saved the lives of both my parents.  Praying for a speedy recovery for your family!!!!

Thank you I wasn't looking for sympathy. I was only trying to add perspective. These cruise lines are caught between a rock and a hard place and they need to be cut some slack. I'm not a cheerleader for any one line. If they act in a way I disapprove of I pipe up for that as well.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thank you I wasn't looking for sympathy. I was only trying to add perspective. These cruise lines are caught between a rock and a hard place and they need to be cut some slack. I'm not a cheerleader for any one line. If they act in a way I disapprove of I pipe up for that as well.  

Absolutely.  We have never posted because we know that we would go down the rabbit hole lol.  Once involved in forums especially for travel, we find it hard to stay away!  Finally just posted today because it was our first cruise attempt in 3 years (ugh) after always sailing multiple times per year, and we have always found update posts to be helpful.  We usually only start paying attention again to CC forums once we have actually booked;  otherwise just follow via updates on FB.  I was following the live updates for Anthem (Piper) and got that email today, and had seen many people in those asking about itineraries, and people looking to maybe book in the future.  Wanted to help, as we saw they were still listing it the same.

• Like 1

DH and I were getting off the Anthem a month ago and had an amazing cruise. We only got off on Coco Cay, couldn't tell you what the other ports even were. One might have been Nassau. Omicron was just starting in the States, but watching what was happening in South Africa, we knew to hunker down and expect the worst. Lucky you, not having a clue what was happening. Sadly, that has led to disappointment for you. Maybe had you paid more attention, you'd have used CWC (cancel with confidence) and waited for a more propitious time to venture out. We all make choices. Your choice didn't work out the way you wanted.

2 hours ago, ticketsunlimited said:

San Juan is not stopping ships from coming because of cases on board.  the place is overrun with cases right now and they have to get their own house right before others come in to visit.

Everyone on the ship has to be tested 48 hours, tell us how can a ship test them in that timeframe leaving Florida?

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:Thank you cruising247365.

That's me personally. I have resolved to be happy even if we're just sailing around the Caribbean while eating, drinking, and lounging by the pool. 

We mostly did just that in December. Had a great time. Wish we were on a ship now. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruising247365 said:

So disappointed!  What was supposed to be our first cruise since 2019 (gasp!) has turned out to be exactly what we were fearing would happen.  Ruined due to covid.  Wanted to let others know, if you are on the same sailing for the 20th.  We just got emailed that Anthem will not be going to San Juan due to the new testing requirements.  So losing a port.  We were okay with that but then also were notified that St Lucia is also now gone, replaced by St Thomas, which we have been to 4 times.  St Lucia was the only one we cared about.

We are frustrated not because this happened but because RCCL seems to be acting in a shady manner with all of this.  We just booked a couple weeks ago, only to read that other sailings were notified/changed prior to this.  Yet, RCL has left it listed (even now!) and are letting people buy it, knowing that this will NOT be the itinerary.  We have also seen St Kitts pulled from multiple sailings (like Piper's live blog this week) but RCL is not notifying of that being pulled as yet.

We all defend our fave lines, but this is the wrong way to do business.  One thing to leave Haiti options up for months out, but this is current, now.  They know exactly what is going to be the case but are leaving things up as they are, and not telling people of the changed itineraries.  There is no reason for them to cancel St Lucia, as it has nothing to do with covid...other ships are still going there and are in fact there now.  We know that St Kitts will also be gone, as the current sailing has done, and other ships have done. 

Was really hoping that cruising was back (lol, especially as shareholders!) but it sadly just is not.  We are just lucky that we were not having to fly in, as that would have been lost money too!  By the way, we called immediately and they said they would NOT be reimbursing for the loss of San Juan.  They would for other ports, but not that one.  Perhaps because it is a US port, they would not specify. Seems not right, still selling an itinerary you KNOW will not be happening, and not offering credits either!

I had my Travel Agent check with Royal to see if they were going to offer any OBC's or refunds for a missed cruise stop, and change of ports. Royal's answer was NO. So I guess they get to keep the Port Taxes, and save money on fuel by not going further south to St Lucia.  The one way distance between St Kitts and St Lucia is equal to 265.07 miles, and 230.19 nautical miles. It looks like ST Kitts is the farthest south we are going now.....so the cruise line is saving a considerable amount of money.  There should be refunds in the way of OBC's or cash refunds!!

16 minutes ago, Coochuck said:

I had my Travel Agent check with Royal to see if they were going to offer any OBC's or refunds for a missed cruise stop, and change of ports. Royal's answer was NO. So I guess they get to keep the Port Taxes, and save money on fuel by not going further south to St Lucia.  The one way distance between St Kitts and St Lucia is equal to 265.07 miles, and 230.19 nautical miles. It looks like ST Kitts is the farthest south we are going now.....so the cruise line is saving a considerable amount of money.  There should be refunds in the way of OBC's or cash refunds!!

We were on the 12/30 Jewel cruise.  Missed Cartegania.  Without asking i noticed the next day that our onboard account showed a credit that was about $75/pp, which looks like it was the port charges and an obc.  Nice to see.  Not sure why this poster didn't get something back.

2 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I agree, no cooking, cleaning just eating and maybe a drink or two😁We wait until port to 

plan an excursion so no refund worries ahead of time.  Like you said what others feel is okay too.

Unlike yourself most people who go on vacation have slightly higher expectations then :

"Not having to clean or cook"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, matj2000 said:

Unlike yourself most people who go on vacation have slightly higher expectations then :

I know many people that go away just to get away from their daily lives.  Happy for you if you have other reasons.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I am very happy, thank you but after 50 happy years of marriage it is nice to get away from the daily routine.  Let me know when you have been around longer how you feel.

Agree.  Always enjoy and go with the flow when things don't go as planned.  Pre-pandemic have had ports cancelled due to weather, or just because.   Some of these ports which at the time we thought were important really didn't matter.   Still had a good time.  Met interesting people, saw new places. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

That is a good part of the reason why I cruise... relaxing and being catered to. Not having to clean after I eat a fantastic meal  is great!

• Like 11

5 hours ago, cruising247365 said:

So disappointed!  What was supposed to be our first cruise since 2019 (gasp!) has turned out to be exactly what we were fearing would happen.  Ruined due to covid.  Wanted to let others know, if you are on the same sailing for the 20th.  We just got emailed that Anthem will not be going to San Juan due to the new testing requirements.  So losing a port.  We were okay with that but then also were notified that St Lucia is also now gone, replaced by St Thomas, which we have been to 4 times.  St Lucia was the only one we cared about.

You "just booked" a cruise in the middle of a pandemic. If you "just booked", you clearly understand what is happening with the cruise industry now. They are doing their absolute best to try and operate per their plan. They will hold out as long as possible to "negotiate" a way of keeping their planned port calls. And, switching ports is not like driving to the next Motel 6 down the highway,,,, it takes a lot of coordination, time, and effort to make it happen (arranging for a berth, arranging for local agents and shore personnel, pilots, dock personnel, shore ex providers, etc. etc. etc.). The cruise line is working on near-term cruises first and slowing addressing future cruises. 

• Like 2