Potential Seabourne passenger with questions

calliopecruiser

8 hours ago, markham said:

My point is that the Retreat denies the vast majority of Seabourn passengers valuable outdoor space and those deck sports. Ironically on these 2 ships with 150 more passengers than the 3 sisters, and with LESS deck space per passenger. Which makes one wonder if there aren’t 2 brands on offer at Seabourn. To get $250 day for some head office scheme? Ridiculous and degrading to the original brand boasting egalitarian treatment and enjoyment for all passengers. 

I totally agree.  Mr. SLSD and I have toured The Retreat and just don't see the value. We have a nice veranda, can order anything we want to eat, AND have an ocean view and a TV in our own suite.   Anyone who sails on SB can afford the  extra charge for The Retreat,  but everyone who sails expects an inclusive experience--and this includes outdoor space available to everyone.  Thank you for explaining this so well Markham.  I know you are a well experienced SB cruiser and an enthusiastic one at that-- and know of what you speak.  

I get it that some enjoy having an additional venue---but this additional venue should be available to all guests.  This is what all of us are paying for.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

There IS shuffleboard on the Ovation - it's on the side of the outdoor gym terrace.  When you exit to the back from the gym glass door, the shuffleboard area is to the right.  On the other side, there is also a fold-up ping pong table.  (Not sure about the Encore, as I never looked when I was last on that ship.)

There IS baggo on Ovation and Encore - it is played by the pool with a lot of guests and crew participating.

While I am no fan of The Retreat, I am even less of a fan of the equivalent space on the O-class ships - I personally don't care about the golf-putting area that is displaced by the Retreat and have rarely seen anyone doing golf-putting over the last 12 years.  The only one "fun" time I recall in that area for me was the Easter egg hunt that began and ended there several years ago.

My idea to reimagine that area is "Le Potager" - an organic garden for fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables for à la minute, deck-to-table cuisine, cocktails/mocktails, and herbal teas & infusions.  BTW, this is neither a new nor revolutionary idea for cruise lines, as I recall reading about a "herb garden" in a Viking brochure for their river "long boats" cruises.

SB can even leverage this garden into a whole lifestyle program (perhaps, if we should be so lucky, replacing Andrew Weil's sound bowl mumbo jumbo) with workshops and seminars on climate change, health and nutrition, organic farming, etc.  Imagine the possibilities... SB guests getting one hand dirty digging into soil and planting seeds while indulging ourselves with the other hand on caviar and champagne... the delicious irony, priceless!

Edited by sfvoyage
spelling

So whatever deck sports available on Ovation are well and truly hidden away. Afterthoughts, no doubt, and to think that The Retreat takes pride of place. 

Each to his/her own but I am done with the 2 larger ships after 67 days. Did I mention that the MDRs there are the same size as those on the 3 smaller ships which have 150 fewer passengers? The larger TK Grill and Colonnade plus the unique-to-them Sushi don’t compensate for the additional numbers. Does that make the smaller ships more luxurious and gracious? That’s my take; no comparison. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham

12 hours ago, markham said:

We have met lots of people playing shuffleboard and ping pong and golf putting on Quest, Odyssey and Sojourn. NONE of that is available on Encore and Ovation because that top deck space is wasted on the Retreat. It’s reminiscent of expensive or wanna be prestigious chain hotels with a VIP adults only area for a fee to separate and elevate those who like that kind of thing. 

My point is that the Retreat denies the vast majority of Seabourn passengers valuable outdoor space and those deck sports. Ironically on these 2 ships with 150 more passengers than the 3 sisters, and with LESS deck space per passenger. Which makes one wonder if there aren’t 2 brands on offer at Seabourn. To get $250 day for some head office scheme? Ridiculous and degrading to the original brand boasting egalitarian treatment and enjoyment for all passengers. 

It seems to me that if you want a bottle of special champagne, peace and quiet in the shade etc you can get that in your own suite. Without an up charge unless, of course, you had chosen to upgrade your cabin choice to PH or higher. Then when you’re rested and in the mood you could join a shuffleboard game.

• Like 1

Markham, are you saying The Retreat isn't on the smaller ships? I'm on Odyssey in April, and the deck plan shows it, much to my disappointment. I attended a cocktail party on Ovation there, and for a few hours, it was fine, but for me, my opinion only, not worth the surcharge.

4 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

There IS shuffleboard on the Ovation - it's on the side of the outdoor gym terrace.  When you exit to the back from the gym glass door, the shuffleboard area is to the right.  On the other side, there is also a fold-up ping pong table.  (Not sure about the Encore, as I never looked when I was last on that ship.)

There IS baggo on Ovation and Encore - it is played by the pool with a lot of guests and crew participating.

While I am no fan of The Retreat, I am even less of a fan of the equivalent space on the O-class ships - I personally don't care about the golf-putting area that is displaced by the Retreat and have rarely seen anyone doing golf-putting over the last 12 years.  The only one "fun" time I recall in that area for me was the Easter egg hunt that began and ended there several years ago.

My idea to reimagine that area is "Le Potager" - an organic garden for fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables for à la minute, deck-to-table cuisine, cocktails/mocktails, and herbal teas & infusions.  BTW, this is neither a new nor revolutionary idea for cruise lines, as I recall reading about a "herb garden" in a Viking brochure for their river "long boats" cruises.

SB can even leverage this garden into a whole lifestyle program (perhaps, if we should be so lucky, replacing Andrew Weil's sound bowl mumbo jumbo) with workshops and seminars on climate change, health and nutrition, organic farming, etc.  Imagine the possibilities... SB guests getting one hand dirty digging into soil and planting seeds while indulging ourselves with the other hand on caviar and champagne... the delicious irony, priceless!

I love the garden idea - there was an herb garden on the Crystal Mozart top deck that was used in the dining room.

I am all for this though I am not sure an outdoor garden would work with a ship changing position on the globe all year!

6 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Markham, are you saying The Retreat isn't on the smaller ships? I'm on Odyssey in April, and the deck plan shows it, much to my disappointment. I attended a cocktail party on Ovation there, and for a few hours, it was fine, but for me, my opinion only, not worth the surcharge.

Retreat is not on Odyssey, only Ovation and Encore

We  have booked a Penthouse spa cabin for March.This includes daily free use of The Retreat.We did not book because of that offering but because we like aft balconies,especially ones that wrap around.The cabin and balcony are larger than other cabins we looked at, also nice extras in suite..In fact whilst booking, we were offered a free upgrade, not upsell to Owners suite.That cabin was not to our taste or position on the ship so we turned it down.I must say that despite first thinking  (and listening to comments on here), that its  a waste , There could be aspects of it that we will like at times when we need them.We would definately not have paid seperatley for it.

I will give an informed view when we return.

• Thanks 1

Yes, Seabourn deck plans show “retreat” where the deck sports are. Why I don’t know. There are no cabanas or jacuzzi or other trappings of this retreat from reality - as devised for the Ecore and Ovation. Could it be that Seabourn marketing staff do not know what is on the Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn? Ridiculous, I know…

So as they say, buyer beware. If you want deck sports and to walk about, and to enjoy free use of the entire top forward deck of Seabourn ships, skip the Encore and Ovation. Similarly, the better deck 5 walking area is on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest: wider and also higher head clearance.

• Like 1

We spent most of a port  day in The Retreat last year in Greece.  Several reasons....we had been to the port before and didn't think it was worth it to go ashore again; we had lots of OBC; it was the first Covid positive cruise and the pool areas were very crowded since there were no indoor activities except your suite and dining; and finally we thought we'd give it a try.

Port day, the price is reduced to $149 we thought and the bottle of champagne, the $50 spa credit and the stylish flip flops and tote bag (LOL) were almost worth it.  I could be wrong and it may have only been a temporary thing but I think they offer a half day at half price.  In any event, the area was almost full in the afternoon.  I don't know if all the amenities (Champagne in particular) were offered to the half day people.

The offered menu was slightly different with several different fresh options.  I can't find a copy of it anywhere but I also assume that the menu items might be available by request elsewhere on the ship.  The service was exceptional, even for Seabourn.  It was very quiet compared to the pool. 

We were also invited to several cocktail parties up there that we did not attend (I think they were Seabourn Facebook groups ?) but we saw photos and thought they looked nice.  

All this being said, I do think it's a waste of space and bit antithetical to the Seabourn vibe.  We never encountered many folks in the shuffleboard, putting green area on the smaller ships but they were used, I know.  This was our first trip on the Ovation and I can't say I'm a huge fan of the bigger ships....actually my favorite is still the Legend.  We are scheduled on Ovation again for Norway this summer.   After that, I think we'll try and stick to the smaller ships.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, janecambridge said:

We  have booked a Penthouse spa cabin for March.This includes daily free use of The Retreat.We did not book because of that offering but because we like aft balconies,especially ones that wrap around.The cabin and balcony are larger than other cabins we looked at, also nice extras in suite..In fact whilst booking, we were offered a free upgrade, not upsell to Owners suite.That cabin was not to our taste or position on the ship so we turned it down.I must say that despite first thinking  (and listening to comments on here), that its  a waste , There could be aspects of it that we will like at times when we need them.We would definately not have paid seperatley for it.

I will give an informed view when we return.

Are you sure you have daily free use of The Retreat and not daily use of the spa area with the steam, sauna, heated lounges etc?  That is what I read when I look up Penthouse spa benefits. 

1 hour ago, purpleally said:

Are you sure you have daily free use of The Retreat and not daily use of the spa area with the steam, sauna, heated lounges etc?  That is what I read when I look up Penthouse spa benefits. 

That is right.  Penthouse spa Suites include use of the Serene area only, not the Retreat, on all 5 ships. (Not sure what the setup will be on the Venture)

• Like 1