Potential Seabourne passenger with questions

calliopecruiser

There are 2 walking circuits on Seabourn’s 5 classic ships although only one is circular. It’s on the deck above the midship pool on the ships. The other is a U shape on 5 deck on all the ships.

I hasten to add that the smaller Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn give the best experience for walkers over the larger Encore and Ovation. For me this is very important such that I will not sail on those 2 again. The difference is 450 pax vs 605 when the walking space is MORE cramped on the larger ships’ deck 5 specifically. Also, the Ody class ships have a top deck with a sports area which is sorely missing on the Encore class ships. Instead there is The Retreat, a “pay for” series of private cabanas for those who like that kind of thing. As you can see, I don’t, because deck sports has been sacrificed for this nonsense and in there is LESS open deck space absolutely and per capita on the larger ships.

Do study the deck plans. Another tip or 2: the Club is larger on the smaller ships and more atmospheric. The only advantages of the larger ships as far as I am concerned is the existence of a bar within their TK Grills and the Sushi restaurant. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

PS- if you want a superb walking experience then look at Silversea’s Muse, Moon and Dawn. Their track on the top deck is 7 or 8 times around for a mile. And there are other aspects I like over Seabourn ships in the recreation sphere: the much longer and deeper pool. These are game hangers for the line, and in my opinion leave the other Silversea ships in the shade.

36 minutes ago, markham said:

The only advantages of the larger ships as far as I am concerned is the existence of a bar within their TK Grills and the Sushi restaurant. 

I agree with this. The Retreat is a waste of space that could have been used for more outdoor space for everyone.

We love the Retreat and use it on every voyage with one available.   You will have a private, sheltered (out of Sun) space with a refrigerator and TV with headphones.    Some spaces have direct sea view.   All have dining tables and two very comfortable loungers that can be in or out of the sun.   There is a large hot tub, whirlpool if you are into that and a bar with great beverage service.    You can also get breakfast, lunch and snacks at your cabana.

While it’s not for everyone, it is a great space and  value to those of us using them.   On our current, mostly hot, voyage, it has provided a cool place to enjoy the outside (a ceiling fan is in each cabana).    They have been very popular on our Central American cruise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jinn said:

Since there are no wrap around promenade decks, where can one walk outside?  Thanks, Julia

I'm in the same boat as you (Sorry - pun not intended).   I walked that  deck on Serenity/Symphony a lot - Seabourn Ovaiton does not seem to have an equivalent.  But that's where I'll be doing my walking next month!

1 hour ago, claudiaYVR said:

I agree with this. The Retreat is a waste of space that could have been used for more outdoor space for everyone.

It is a real shame that the space allocated to The Retreat was not made available to everyone.  This would have been in line with Seabourn's "all inclusive" marketing.  I would still like to see this happen.  It would lighten the load around the pool --and make everyone happy. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwesq said:

I'm in the same boat as you (Sorry - pun not intended).   I walked that  deck on Serenity/Symphony a lot - Seabourn Ovaiton does not seem to have an equivalent.  But that's where I'll be doing my walking next month!

I might see you out there, on the other hand, I often walk prior to my coffee watching the sunrise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purpleally said:

I might see you out there, on the other hand, I often walk prior to my coffee watching the sunrise!

I'm always walking around-- the biggest negative for me is not having a dedicated walking area.  Crystal had a great deck for running and walking.  Once I got used to walking on Seabourn it really didn't matter.

See you on deck 10---- very soon!

Lois

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 10:00 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

We love the Retreat and use it on every voyage with one available.   You will have a private, sheltered (out of Sun) space with a refrigerator and TV with headphones.    Some spaces have direct sea view.   All have dining tables and two very comfortable loungers that can be in or out of the sun.   There is a large hot tub, whirlpool if you are into that and a bar with great beverage service.    You can also get breakfast, lunch and snacks at your cabana.

While it’s not for everyone, it is a great space and  value to those of us using them.   On our current, mostly hot, voyage, it has provided a cool place to enjoy the outside (a ceiling fan is in each cabana).    They have been very popular on our Central American cruise.

What does Seabourn charge for the Retreat?  I've not seen that mentioned.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:04 PM, gwesq said:

When you get home, please tell us what you think about this!!!

Edited by suzeluvscruz

1 hour ago, crickette said:

When we were on the Ovation last August I believe it was $250 a day.  That does include a bottle of Bollinger Champagne along with lunch delivered to the cabana (we did not think the offerings were anything special).

Hank

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

You also received a $50 daily onboard credit in addition to the champagne.    On the wine list the champagne has an up charge of $80.   If you book the retreat for the entire cruise it’s a very reasonable rate.

The 50.00 is for spa only

On 2/9/2022 at 5:40 PM, crickette said:

Any info on single supplements?  Dancing opportunities and dance hosts?  Bridge instruction and afternoon games on sea days?

As I remember prior to covid, and in the smaller fleet, there were no dancing ambassadors in Seabourn, like in the Crystal ships.  It is a pity that this Crystal feature is not followed in other luxury lines (please correct me if wrong).  Not only singles benefit from dancing partners, but also (as in my case) spouses whose better half does not like to dance.  I will surely miss this feature.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, crickette said:

Been on the Encore several times and looked at the Retreat, even though we have had lots of OBC we would never bother going to the Retreat as every time we looked in nobody was there, maybe one or two couples along with the area "blocked" off from the ocean sea views due to the cabanas  . To us its a waste of deck space for the other passengers being able to use on busy days around the main pool

. One of the things we loved about Seabourn was that there seemed to be no preferential treatment given to any passengers with the Retreat, even though one has to pay for it, making it a "preferential area"

Having stayed in the Penthouse suites to the standard cabins. We were always treated the same as "special" passengers and not just a number

Edited by Thecat123
  • Thanks 1

Cunard still has gentlemen dance hosts as they actually have ballrooms for dancing.

If the Retreat is not for you, just don’t purchase it.    There are other items on Seabourn available to purchase including larger cabins, finer wines, spa treatments and excursions.   No need to purchase what you don’t want or enjoy.    The Ovation is a wonderful ship with features for every passenger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If the Retreat is not for you, just don’t purchase it.  

The comments aren't that there shouldn't be extras to purchase, just that there shouldn't be such prime real estate given up to such an underused extra.  The equivalent would be if they had 3/4 of the ship being 2500 sq ft penthouses that didn't sell and stayed empty for the voyage. 

We have met lots of people playing shuffleboard and ping pong and golf putting on Quest, Odyssey and Sojourn. NONE of that is available on Encore and Ovation because that top deck space is wasted on the Retreat. It’s reminiscent of expensive or wanna be prestigious chain hotels with a VIP adults only area for a fee to separate and elevate those who like that kind of thing. 

My point is that the Retreat denies the vast majority of Seabourn passengers valuable outdoor space and those deck sports. Ironically on these 2 ships with 150 more passengers than the 3 sisters, and with LESS deck space per passenger. Which makes one wonder if there aren’t 2 brands on offer at Seabourn. To get $250 day for some head office scheme? Ridiculous and degrading to the original brand boasting egalitarian treatment and enjoyment for all passengers. 

It seems to me that if you want a bottle of special champagne, peace and quiet in the shade etc you can get that in your own suite. Without an up charge unless, of course, you had chosen to upgrade your cabin choice to PH or higher. Then when you’re rested and in the mood you could join a shuffleboard game.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, markham said:

We have met lots of people playing shuffleboard and ping pong and golf putting on Quest, Odyssey and Sojourn. NONE of that is available on Encore and Ovation because that top deck space is wasted on the Retreat. It’s reminiscent of expensive or wanna be prestigious chain hotels with a VIP adults only area for a fee to separate and elevate those who like that kind of thing. 

My point is that the Retreat denies the vast majority of Seabourn passengers valuable outdoor space and those deck sports. Ironically on these 2 ships with 150 more passengers than the 3 sisters, and with LESS deck space per passenger. Which makes one wonder if there aren’t 2 brands on offer at Seabourn. To get $250 day for some head office scheme? Ridiculous and degrading to the original brand boasting egalitarian treatment and enjoyment for all passengers. 

It seems to me that if you want a bottle of special champagne, peace and quiet in the shade etc you can get that in your own suite. Without an up charge unless, of course, you had chosen to upgrade your cabin choice to PH or higher. Then when you’re rested and in the mood you could join a shuffleboard game.

That’s ridiculous that they have taken up the space for the shuffleboard etc. Mr margbem and I love going up there and having a go at the games. Indeed, we won the putting comp and the Baggo last cruise.

• Like 1