Potential Seabourne passenger with questions

calliopecruiser

I have had very happy experiences on Crystal for my last 4 cruises and was set for another this fall.......but since that won't be happening now, I'm searching for a new cruise line.  Some of the things that really added to my relaxation on board are little things that can't be found on their website, so I'm asking here:  Are there any overhead announcements on SB (for an activity, or a leaving shore excursion)?   Is there a library on board?  Does the added-cost Retreat become any kind of a boasting/ego thing on board?  Are gratuities really not expected, or is that a corporate line not borne out in reality?  I leave extra gratuities in an envelope at the end of the cruise, but I dislike servers/crew who seem extra eager and ingratiating in hopes of extra tips.  

I'm a 60 year old woman who travels solo, and prefers sea days over port days.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.

As someone who has 2 experiences on Crystal, one river and one Ocean, but over 400 days on Seabourn I can tell you I prefer Seabourn.  Much friendlier guests and officers.  Service is comparable, from my limited experience w/ Crystal.  There are no overhead announcements except when absolutely necessary, there is a policy of no in-suite announcement once the safety drills have been completed.  Of course there can be exceptions if something warrants it.  

There is a library, and unlike on Crystal you do not need to check things out and it is accessible 24 hours a day.  Most people do not use the Retreat, myself included, and think it was a mistake to put it in as it is non-Seabourn like since it is an extra cost.  And unlike Crystal you can dine at any restaurant as many times as you desire with no restrictions nor additional cost after the 1st.  

Gratuities are definately not expected, and frowned upon by long time passengers when we see some make a show of violating the policy.  Some folks do contribute to the crew welfare fund, but that is totally voluntary.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

I have had very happy experiences on Crystal for my last 4 cruises and was set for another this fall.......but since that won't be happening now, I'm searching for a new cruise line.  Some of the things that really added to my relaxation on board are little things that can't be found on their website, so I'm asking here:  Are there any overhead announcements on SB (for an activity, or a leaving shore excursion)?   Is there a library on board?  Does the added-cost Retreat become any kind of a boasting/ego thing on board?  Are gratuities really not expected, or is that a corporate line not borne out in reality?  I leave extra gratuities in an envelope at the end of the cruise, but I dislike servers/crew who seem extra eager and ingratiating in hopes of extra tips.  

I'm a 60 year old woman who travels solo, and prefers sea days over port days.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.

1. Only announcements are for boat drill the first day and one brief captain's announcement (in the hall, not the suites) each day.

2. Very good library on board in Seabourn Square.

3. The Retreat is largely ignored by everyone.  Never heard anyone saying they used it, let alone boasting about it. 

4. No gratuities. No envelopes in your suite for contributions. No fawning or hands out expecting one. 

You will enjoy your cruise as a single. Last August a single lady friend joined us on our cruise. After bad experiences on other lines, she loved receiving invitations to hosted tables and other considerate gestures.  She even signed up for her next cruise while on board.

Edited by marazul
  • Like 1

I concur with the above opinions.

Regarding the Retreat, it is only on the Encore and Ovation, and while I've experienced it a few times, I wouldn't say it materially enhanced my board experience.  I also think it's not a good use of space.

Gratuities are truly optional and not expected.

I am sure you will get much better reply than mine from other Seabourn cruisers, since I have only cruised on the Odyssey and Sojourn (the older, smaller ships), and prior to 2019.  However, I did enjoy a Transatlantic and around 4 more SB Mediterranean cruises.  I have also enjoyed 2 Crystal cruises in 2019 and can add some PERSONAL input to your quest:

Passenger Vibe:  Much better at Seabourn

Entertainment:  Much better at Crystal

Enrichment:  Much better at Crystal

Food Venues and Offerings:  Much better at Crystal

Solo interaction with other passengers:  Much better at Seabourn

I highly recommend you try Seabourn under the circumstances.  I plan to go back after Covid relents.

Edited by Camillus112
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Camillus112 said:

I am sure you will get much better reply than mine from other Seabourn cruisers, since I have only cruised on the Odyssey and Sojourn (the older, smaller ships), and prior to 2019.  However, I did enjoy a Transatlantic and around 4 more SB Mediterranean cruises.  I have also enjoyed 2 Crystal cruises in 2019 and can add some PERSONAL input to your quest:

I highly recommend you try Seabourn under the circumstances.  I plan to go back after Covid relents.

And there's the Rub.  We, too, are Crystallized, and two items very important to us are the Entertainment & Enrichment.  I mean how cool is it to spend 10 days on a ship with Roger McGuinn (Byrds), and people like Dr Ruth, TOmmy Dorsey Orchestra, and wonderful Environmentalists, historians, journalists, etc. 

Having a tough choice now - Seabourn (Ovation), Regent, SIversea?

• Like 1

I have noticed that solo travelers seem very happy on Seabourn.  We have met quite a few of them on our cruises and they always seem to be making friends, enjoying hosted tables, and signing up for additional cruises.  

As for enrichment, we  have had former diplomats, environmentalists, scientists etc on our Seabourn cruises.  While not every lecture has been exceptional, many of them have been.  

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, gwesq said:

And there's the Rub.  We, too, are Crystallized, and two items very important to us are the Entertainment & Enrichment.  I mean how cool is it to spend 10 days on a ship with Roger McGuinn (Byrds), and people like Dr Ruth, TOmmy Dorsey Orchestra, and wonderful Environmentalists, historians, journalists, etc. 

Having a tough choice now - Seabourn (Ovation), Regent, SIversea?

We are in the same situation having loved our Thanksgiving Crystal cruise and was so looking forward to sailing with them again. Have narrowed our search to Seabourn or Silversea for a 14 night August Alaska cruise on either silver muse or Seabourn Odyssey.

For us the itinerary is not as important as the onboard experience. Since Crystal is not an option anymore, We are interested in comparisons between Seabourn and Silversea  regarding quality of included wines and mixed drinks, entertainment, in room service, and smoking areas.

Quality of the Food, service, and vibe are very subjective and I am sure we will be satisfied in these areas on either line.

4 hours ago, Camillus112 said:

As a huge fan of Seabourn I would not disagree with this; however I would say it is “slightly better” rather than “much better”.  The only category I felt Crystal was really much better in is enrichment, but that too can be pretty subjective.

@calliopecruiserWe've been on several Seabourn cruises (although many more times on Crystal) over the last ten years and can confidently tell you that you will like Seabourn very much. For us, Crystal was always a notch ahead in food and entertainment (as well as the wonderful Lido guys) but overall Seabourn is excellent and you will enjoy it. In particular, we miss the Promenade Deck, the Avenue, Prego and Umi Uma but we have always appreciated the larger suites, the outdoor dining and other aspects of Seabourn. We have just booked the Encore for February 19 in lieu of our much anticipated Serenity sailing on February 18 and although devastated about Crystal we're very much looking forward to the Encore.

• Like 2

We have cruised on both Seabourn and Crystal. There was more interaction between passengers and between passengers and crew on Seabourn. On Seabourn you really can eat with who you want, when you want. The dining rooms were set up to be able to handle this easily. Like Crystal, the chefs can fix most anything with 24 hours notice. Room service on Seabourn was flawless. We could write in items for breakfast not on the menu. This was a huge shortcoming on our Crystal cruise. Room service late many times  and had missing items. I would give a VERY slight edge to Crystal for food, particularly fish.
Seabourn has no butlers. We have had really wonderful, friendly service on Seabourn. On Crystal the butler in the penthouse suite for my parents was great but our room attendant poor for our balcony room. Seabourn’s standard suites night and day better then Crystal’s.

Tipping is really not needed on Seabourn.

No photographer taking pictures on Seabourn.

I have seen one 10 year old on all our Seabourn cruises. No child facilities on Seabourn.

Seabourn has the fun “Caviar in the Surf” day.

The Seabourn Square is a great place to hang out.

Welcome to the Seabourn board. I hope our comments give you some clarity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am following this with interest. We are migrating from Silversea and Seabourn looks the best alternative. One of the things that interests me is that of dining. The website is pretty self explanatory as to what is on offer but how do the advertised ‘sample menu’s ’ compare with the real thing? I presume there is a good choice? Does anyone have copies of the ‘real thing’ 😋😋The comp wine list shown on another thread seems adequate. It is nice to be able to see what is on offer as SS do not/will not publish the comp. lists.

Greetings All: My last Crystal cruise (Venice to Barcelona) was just over 10 years ago - my wife and I still have fantastic memories of it. That said, after our first Seabourn cruise it was "drop the mic" for us. The whole SB vibe was one of comfort, belonging and attention. I loved Crystal for the dining pomp, Mozart afternoon tea, formal night, enrichment with art, music, lectures. Being bigger ships over SB, Crystal had the facilities, especially for sea days that SB can't match (yet).

SB ships are half the capacity of Crystal's, which has not been mentioned but plays really big in how the passengers and the entire crew (housekeeping, kitchen, pool, bars, etc.) interact. On board SB, there is a true sense of being part of the whole, not just someone cruising. With three SB cruises booked for this and next year, I don't see myself on another line. 

• Like 1

We used the Retreat one time (Ovation) just to check out the experience.  For us it was a ridiculous waste of money as we prefer sitting on the main deck area where there is more socialization.  The Retreat does offer excellent service but that also exists everywhere on the ship.  In the final analysis one pays a lot of money for a bottle of Bollinger Champagne (one of the Retreat benefits).  As to the lunch menu at the Retreat it is similar to what one can get elsewhere on the ship (at no extra cost) with the exception of the decent Steak Sandwich.

Chatting with others who were also using the Retreat we did not find anyone who was actually paying our of their pocket for the experience.  Several others had free Retreat days because of their status or some kind of booking promotion.  A few others (such as myself) had lots of OBCs (given by cruise agencies or SB Promotions) and simply needed a way to spend some of that money which was not refundable.   

Hank

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

I am following this with interest. We are migrating from Silversea and Seabourn looks the best alternative. One of the things that interests me is that of dining. The website is pretty self explanatory as to what is on offer but how do the advertised ‘sample menu’s ’ compare with the real thing? I presume there is a good choice? Does anyone have copies of the ‘real thing’ 😋😋The comp wine list shown on another thread seems adequate. It is nice to be able to see what is on offer as SS do not/will not publish the comp. lists.

Scan down the posts on this board for recent wine lists.  Also, several "on board" threads describing recent cruises have pictures of the actual menus.  The sample menus on the website are very representative of the real thing, of course, it doesn't include the daily specials. 

Edited by marazul

22 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Thank you for asking these questions.  I'm in the same boat as you are vis a vis Crystal. I have 60+ days booked on Crystal this year.  I'm still hopeful a miracle will occur, but I'm also looking at alternatives like Seabourn and SIlverseas.  I also sail solo and am following all the informative responses.

Bill

• Like 1

Scan down the posts on this board for recent wine lists.  Also, several "on board" threads describing recent cruises have pictures of the actual menus.  The sample menus on the website are very representative of the real thing, of course, it doesn't include the daily specials. 

Found some from mid 2021 … seems fine to me😊

I may be converted!

15 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

@calliopecruiserWe've been on several Seabourn cruises (although many more times on Crystal) over the last ten years and can confidently tell you that you will like Seabourn very much. For us, Crystal was always a notch ahead in food and entertainment (as well as the wonderful Lido guys) but overall Seabourn is excellent and you will enjoy it. In particular, we miss the Promenade Deck, the Avenue, Prego and Umi Uma but we have always appreciated the larger suites, the outdoor dining and other aspects of Seabourn. We have just booked the Encore for February 19 in lieu of our much anticipated Serenity sailing on February 18 and although devastated about Crystal we're very much looking forward to the Encore.

We are likely booking the Encore for March. Went once on Seabourn Odyssey b2b and had mixed feelings. Last two cruises were August 2021 Silversea and Dec 2021 Regent but now find ourselves looking very much for a Crystal replacement. 
one of the pluses is that Canadians can buy insurance on Seabourn . 

Please do post your experience and tips as  I believe we have a similar itinerary.

Gutted about the demise of our favourite. 

A few more observations: the level of guest speakers varies from cruise to cruise but over the years we've had many very interesting ones on Seabourn, including various authors, scientists, former astronauts and the former chief engineer for NASA - who I got to know pretty well one afternoon over cocktails.  On our one Crystal ocean cruise there was not one lecture we were interested in, and that has also been true on multiple Seabourn cruises, but we did meet someone who we had seen a few years earlier on Seabourn who was giving lectures on Crystal that cruise so obviously they are not exclusive to any given line.  We all have different interests.  Also Seabourn records most of the lectures / demonstrations so if you are not inclined to attend in-person you can view them later in your suite.  

Areas where I think Crystal - at least the Symphony - excelled were: the full ship Promenade walking track; the coffee at the Bistro is better IMO than at Seabourn Square; the movie theatre was nice for catching NFL playoff games and you could watch a movie if you so desired; more seating space and room between seating areas in the Palm Court; the gym; seating arrangement in the tenders; and the music during the day at the Cove bar.  

Crystal has many loyal fans and it is easy to understand why but for me the things I disliked on Crystal were: the photographers, starting before you even step on-board wanting to take a picture to sell you, as if on a mass market line; we had no interaction with the Officers (and the CD talking to long time guests we were sitting with one night with his back to us and never even acknowledging us) - we went to the Captains reception which was a line of people waiting to have their picture taken with the Captain by the photographer; the reception area which resembles a hotel front desk - and people who worked there apparently had siloed roles, one example: "may I have a list of the tours" reply was: "sorry you have to talk to that person over there."  There were no outdoor sail away parties, and we disliked that the entire port side of the pool deck allows smoking.   The size of the verandah rooms are too small, including the closet and bathroom.  And all the retail shops, when we first boarded it was like we mistakenly walked into a shopping mall.  

I know some people make a big deal over having a butler, we had one on the river cruise but other than bring us canapes in the late afternoon, which most times we did not touch, he did not do anything for us that our stewardess normally would do.  Not that we asked for anything special, I am not sure what the real advantage of having one is unless you want them to pack / unpack your luggage or make dining reservations for you.

Service can vary on cruise to cruise (or hotel stay / plane ride / etc.) but we experienced similar service levels on both lines.  There are always a few exceptional crew and a few duds it seems.  Food is IMO comparable on both lines, and of course highly subjective, I think Waterside's options are more varied but I never had a meal truly served hot in Waterside.  

All of Seabourn's ships have 2 outside bars, which are great places to meet new people, the lack of an outside bar on the Symphony was something we missed as we often sit at one of the bars late afternoon and chat with fellow guests.  And while every cruise passenger mix is different we have made many friends over the years on Seabourn that we keep in touch with to this day.

Edited by 2SailingNomads

11 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Curious as to why you are migrating from Silversea? We have narrowed our search to both Seabourn and Silversea so interested in your Silversea experiences.

• Like 1

There are many reasons why we are considering this change. Most of them are, in their own right, minor, put together makes a bad picture. Essentially we are looking at corporate failings … nothing to do with the services on board. The staff do the best they can with the limitations they are working with. That’s my professional courtesy coming into it 😁

However, For a start we went on a cruise departing from the UK last September. The boarding procedure from Silversea was an absolute shambles. Many many people including ourselves were not told what time to arrive at the port, and in consequence had to make an educated guess given the published commencement of embarkation time. In this particular instance, when we arrived at the port, our bags were checked in and we were directed to the check-in hall to commence preboarding medical procedures. We were advised that these would commence within the next five minutes. Wrong! To cut a long story short many many people were left standing outside in the wind and rain for the better part of an hour. Silversea declined responsibility for this ***** up and refused to supply any form of refreshment or warmth for these “esteemed guests., despite what they said in the boarding instructions. The mistreatment issue is mentioned on other threads…see the SS forum, where there are recent reviews about the poor treatment of guests in various scenarios (see Moon, Spirit, and a charter thread) … including one incident where quarantined guests were served meals on polystyrene trays! RCCL policy apparently? 

Other reasons include the massive price hikes for included options which I do not want or need. No recompense options. Also they seem unwilling communicate with guests when it comes to keeping them up to date with pertinent issues. The quality of excursions has deteriorated….personal opinion.

The new cancellation t&c options are onerous.

Basically, as far as I am concerned I do not trust ‘corporate’ to the point where I have cancelled an April cruise. I personally feel they are no longer worth the money.

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Other reasons include the massive price hikes for included options which I do not want or need. No recompense options.

That's the main reason for which I try not to go on cruise lines with inclusive shore excursions (with the exception for expedition cruises, of course).  For self-directed DIY travelers who prefer to explore on our own, it doesn't make sense for us to be forced to pay for excursions for which we don't need or want.  Also, in case of port cancellations, there is no refund of forfeited excursions.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:08 PM, calliopecruiser said:

1 minute ago, Mahogany said:

I too travel solo since my husband died 11 years ago. Only once on Crystal to see what the "loyalty" hype was all about. Waterside was claustrophobic, mostly because of the low ceilings; newer ships have higher ceilings in the MDR. I had booked a cruise canceled by Covid but had to upgrade to a penthouse on Crystal to have the same space as a standard veranda on other luxury lines. Did like the Promenade deck, though.

On Seabourn, I like receiving invitations to dine with staff; no obligation to attend, just to RSVP, but a wonderful way for solos to meet other passengers. Too bad you've missed the wonderful dinners with Handre. Ask any Seabourn regular; everyone remembers Handre.

I will be on Odyssey in April and then on Encore from Athens in September. Hope to see you there.