APEX 02/26-03/05 2022 Retreat, Eastern Caribbean out of Ft Lauderdale

graphicguy

It's January.  It's cold here.  The weather can't actually make up its mind whether it wants to rain or snow.  So, it's doing both.  The wind is blowing this stinging mixture sideways.  My face was pelted with this frigid mix when I went to check the mail box.  What the heck?

Been toying with this cruise for a bit now.

For good or ill (good, I swear!), I jumped back into the cruise startup in July on the EDGE in July.  Loved it so much, I did it again....on the EDGE a few weeks later.  I've grown confident in cruising...probably moreso now than in July.  We're vaxed and boosted.  Something could go wrong, but that's always the case, whether in a pandemic or not.  The key, in my mind, is to mitigate and minimize any risks, especially when traveling.

We've fallen in love with Celebrity.  The "we" I allude to is my girlfriend (a nurse in an ER), and me (retired, some say a n'erdowell).  We were both diehard NCL cruisers.  Those that I've become friends with here at CC and those who I've cruised with, no the story.  In brief, NCL shafted me and others when dealing with us during the COVID shutdown and the subsequent restart.  In fairness, out of the 2 cruises we had scheduled with NCL when the shutdown happened, we did get a refund...for one of them, even when they promised total refunds for both.

So, with a FCC for the other cancelled NCL cruise, we went to Alaska.  That trip was wonderful.  But, it also highlighted the differences between NCL (and the other lines we've cruised...Royal, Carnival, HAL, MSC) vs Celebrity.  Celebrity hits our "sweet spot".  Why?  Service is better, by a good margin.  Food is better.  Accommodations are better.  The ships (Solstice and EDGE in our experience) are nicer.

We were looking at the Reflection or the APEX.  Was leaning towards the Reflection, just because it was going to be about $800 cheaper than APEX.  But, having so enjoyed the previous EDGE cruises, APEX seemed like the way to go.  My TA is kicking in a rebate check.  And, with the RETREAT offering some pretty enticing goodies ($600 OBC, upgrade do streaming Internet, Tips, Premium Drink Package), it seemed like a pretty easy decision.  Plus, we get Luminae, Concierges, Suite Personal Helper, etc.

Entertainment and food are subjective.  But, for us (her-early 50s...me-mid 60s), Celebrity strikes the right chord.  Plus, as a Pandemic up reminded us, it's not about getting dressed up on which night.  Or, worrying about what "codes" are/are not acceptable,  It's about enjoying those things that are at the forefront of what we all like about cruising.....comaraderie shared with those with like tastes, seeing beautiful parts of the world, in hopefully pleasant environments and weather, eating, drinking laughing, all while putting your cares aside.

That brings us to booking this cruise.  If there's anything that can bridge the gap from Winter to Spring, it's a cruise.  That's where we are now.

From what I gather, we got the last S3 cabin.  Not sure what others are left in the Retreat, but they usually sell out.  The rest of the ship?  While I don't expect it to sail at anything near capacity, I think 40%, maybe 50% capacity might be what we'll see.  And, from what we're reading (and what the GF is seeing) Omnicom may very well retreat as quickly as it came upon us.  That would be great news.

Back in the Retreat (S3) which I also love.  On Celebrity's newest.  What's not to like?  As we plan and navigate all the pre-cruise activity, I'll post that here.  And, as we sail off, I'll post what I hope to be live updates.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

What a nice post on how each of us are making these decisions and what is driving us. Nice writing, so looking forward to your cruise updates. We cruised Apex in Nov ‘21 and had done Edge prior to the Pandemic, and we Love the E-Class ships. I understand the Apex Retreat is special, so want to hear more. Booked on Edge S2 Suite for a TA in Oct ‘22.

Funny how upgrades work. We started cruising in Oceanviews. Loved it. Had a S Caribbean on the Summit and was offered a balcony for barely $100 more. Jumped on it and of course never went back, which was the point. So I was always nervous of going Suite, but now after 28 Celebrity cruises, decided to go Retreat for a TA with lots of seadays. 

Enjoy and looking forward to living ‘vicariously’ reading your cruise posts!

den

• Like 2

Glad you decided to book and are on the Apex!  I’ll be eagerly awaiting your post and also looking forward to boarding two weeks after you disembark.   Our last Celebrity cruise was on the Edge (2/19) and we decided we loved the E class ships.   With no travel for almost two years our travel account has grown so we decided to splurge on a Celebrity Suite (DH is a very early riser even on a cruise and I love to sleep when given the chance).  On this cruise the ship is the destination.   We may book an excursion or two but if the ports change or are missed, well, so be it.   

• Like 1

Congratulations on booking the Apex.  Can't wait to follow along with you via your updates.

It sounds like you aren't on your own this time and your GF will be with you!? Fantastic!  She definitely deserves the break.  {Thank her again for her service as a vital member of the health care system!}. 

So happy for you.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Congratulations on booking the Apex.  Can't wait to follow along with you via your updates.

It sounds like you aren't on your own this time and your GF will be with you!? Fantastic!  She definitely deserves the break.  {Thank her again for her service as a vital member of the health care system!}. 

So happy for you.

Thanks…..yes, GF should be going.  That’s the plan….if nothing goes sideways at her hospital over the next 5 weeks.  She is leaving herself open for changes, though.  Much easier for me being retired.

Our last cruise together in Alaska on NCL!

7FFE8121-4DEC-438E-AA34-2197149570E4.jpeg

• Like 10

Flights….kind of wondering about this.  I’ve stated before, if there are flights that are direct, early, and alternates available that I can book and still get me to the port on time, I will fly in the day of.  Going in and out of FLL is ordinarily pretty easy.

But, I keep reading about some crazies on flights that cause them to turn around and land somewhere other than their destination that has me wondering.  Not sure if this is a recent phenomena or I’m just noticing it.  What I do know, after flying over 3M miles, internationally over 3 plus decades, I don’t recall anyone, ever disrupting a flight.

Personally, I believe anyone causing any disruption, even minor ones, while in flight, there should be a procedure where the flight attendants and pilots to be allowed to immediately put restraints on the culprit and gag them until the final destination is reached.  Local law enforcement can take over from there.  To punish an entire flight for the sins of one just doesn’t seem right.

Off the soap box.

I do not use flights arranged by the cruise lines.  Usually, they are inconvenient and certainly less direct than I can make myself.  Not really certain they are any more helpful if things go sideways, either.

Here are the flights I can take…

Direct-Leave 8:00 a.m. to arrive 10:35 a.m.

Stopover in ATL-Leave 8:30 a.m. to arrive 1:02 p.m.

Stopover in ATL-Leave 6:35 a.m. to arrive 12:04 p.m.

Stopover in LGA-Leave 8:00 a.m. to arrive 2:38 p.m.

Stopover in DTW-Leave 6:15 a.m. to arrive at 1:57 p.m.

Leaning towards flying in the day of the cruise.  Ship departs at 4:30 p.m.  I have to be going up the gangway by no later than 3:30 p.m.  All our luggage will be carryon only, so no waiting around at the baggage carousel.

Edited by graphicguy

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Direct-Leave 8:00 a.m. to arrive 10:35 a.m.

If there is a direct flight, I see no reason to consider anything else unless the fare difference is extreme. Particularly if flying in the day of.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

If there is a direct flight, I see no reason to consider anything else unless the fare difference is extreme. Particularly if flying in the day of.

Interestingly enough, the direct flight is one of the same flights Celebrity is using if I book through them.

• Like 1

Check list.....

-COVID Vaccine card-done

-Passport-done

-Flights booked-done

-Insurance-working on it

-new underwear-I'm good...her?  Probably will want new to take with her

-Toiletries-inspect to see what have/need from the last cruise

-Dog sitter-working on it

-Check-in info-as far as we can until the cruise gets closer

-Transport from airport to Pier-working on it

-Pre-plan excursions...in all frankness, I'm not sure what to book, as I don't even know if the itinerary will be the same when we sail as it is now....;)

-Pack...WAY TOO EARLY for that (at least for me).  Still deciding if I'm taking long pants.

-schedule PCR test day before we leave (we get results in about 3 hours)

That's what we have so far.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 2

Interestingly enough, the direct flight is one of the same flights Celebrity is using if I book through them.

You're inside the final payment window, so I don't see what that would add, unless it's cheaper than booking direct with the airline.

• Like 1

We used to book through Celebrity for the added protection of assistance getting to the ship if there was a problem with our flights, since we've always flown in day-of.  Because we never had an issue with our flights, though, I have no idea what assistance they would actually provide.  Generally it was less expensive than booking through the airlines, unless we found a good price on a direct flight from CVG to FLL on Southwest (saving that $25 each way for luggage!).

• Like 1

Even with a direct, I’d suggest flying in the day prior. Reduces stress and has more flexibility. There are a ton of discussions on this, but I personally always arrive, driving or flying, at least the day prior. That way, I’m not looking at weather and flights canceled especially with all the hassle that’s been going on lately. 

Up to you. 

Den

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hiccups said:

I have no idea what assistance they would actually provide.

AFAIK, they are a travel agency and would assist you in booking alternate flights like any other TA would. I've never felt that there was any added value in this respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

Even with a direct, I’d suggest flying in the day prior. Reduces stress and has more flexibility. There are a ton of discussions on this, but I personally always arrive, driving or flying, at least the day prior. That way, I’m not looking at weather and flights canceled especially with all the hassle that’s been going on lately. 

Up to you. 

Den

I agree. This time of year it is risky, especially with all the last minute cancellations that seem to be going on now. Also I presume you are flying from OHare, which tends to get a lot of delays in bad weather.

• Like 2

Booked the flight...earliest I could get the day of embarkation.  I know the pros and cons of flying in early, and flying in day of.  My rules of thumb to fly in day of the cruise embarkation...

1.  Must be early enough in the day to offer at least a 4 hour embarkation cushion

2.  Must have at least 2 other flights (outside of my original flight) I could take to get me to the pier on time for embarkation

3.  Must be direct (to remove the possibility of an additional flight having issues)

4.  Must be able to have only carry on luggage so there is no issue with lost/stolen luggage...including delays at the luggage carousel

I need to walk off the plane, with my luggage, directly to the waiting taxi/uber/bus, etc to take me directly to the pier.

I certainly understand others' need to get in a day (or more) early.  Admittedly, spending extra time in FL bothers me just because of its status as a virus hot bed.  If I could not mitigate and reduce the possibilities of missed, canceled or late flights, connections, etc, I  would come in early.  Or, for example, if I was sailing during hurricane season out of FL, I'd probably consider coming in early, too.

Given airlines are allowing to change tickets at no charge right now, I'll keep an eye on the weather a couple of days before embarkation and if there are no weather issues, I'll still come in the day of the cruise.

In brief,  we'll depart (Delta) at 8:00 a.m. and arrive at 10:35 a.m. from CVG to FLL.  Our check in time is noon.  So, we'll have time to be bums for an hour to grab an overpriced airport cocktail and make fun of all the people who aren't going on a cruise shlepping through the terminal before grabbing a taxi.

Delta has been pretty good in (mostly) helping me when things get a little sideways.  And, they're one of the most punctual airlines in the biz (which is kind of damning with faint praise for the airlines).

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 5

Suite check in now basically skip/by pass that lounge.  Your Seapass, passport, vac card, and Covid test are checked by personnel  as you enter the terminal.   You go thru the radar and then proceed on board to your cabin to pick up room card and drop off  your carry ons in the cabin and then off to whatever you want to do. 

If the cabin attendant has the cabin ready or isn’t in it you can do your muster drill on the TV and then go to your designated station to get checked off.    You are now officially ready to sail

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Check list.....

-Pack...WAY TOO EARLY for that (at least for me).  Still deciding if I'm taking long pants.

graphicguy.....we have never sailed in a suite so perhaps the guidelines are different, however I thought that long pants were a "must" for men in the dining room/specialty restaurants in the evening? 

Of course this item on your list caught my eye because on one of our cruises my husband forgot to pack long pants for dinner.  Yep, you guessed it.....he was turned away at the MDR and needless to say some of our onboard credit very quickly went to the onboard shop for a pair of pants for him to wear in the MDR, lol.   

Have a wonderful time, and I sincerely hope that your girlfriend is able to get the time off work to accompany you this time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Booked the flight...earliest I could get the day of embarkation.  I know the pros and cons of flying in early, and flying in day of.  My rules of thumb to fly in day of the cruise embarkation...

1.  Must be early enough in the day to offer at least a 4 hour embarkation cushion

2.  Must have at least 2 other flights (outside of my original flight) I could take to get me to the pier on time for embarkation

3.  Must be direct (to remove the possibility of an additional flight having issues)

4.  Must be able to have only carry on luggage so there is no issue with lost/stolen luggage...including delays at the luggage carousel

I need to walk off the plane, with my luggage, directly to the waiting taxi/uber/bus, etc to take me directly to the pier.

I certainly understand others' need to get in a day (or more) early.  Admittedly, spending extra time in FL bothers me just because of its status as a virus hot bed.  If I could not mitigate and reduce the possibilities of missed, canceled or late flights, connections, etc, I  would come in early.  Or, for example, if I was sailing during hurricane season out of FL, I'd probably consider coming in early, too.

Given airlines are allowing to change tickets at no charge right now, I'll keep an eye on the weather a couple of days before embarkation and if there are no weather issues, I'll still come in the day of the cruise.

In brief,  we'll depart (Delta) at 8:00 a.m. and arrive at 10:35 a.m. from CVG to FLL.  Our check in time is noon.  So, we'll have time to be bums for an hour to grab an overpriced airport cocktail and make fun of all the people who aren't going on a cruise shlepping through the terminal before grabbing a taxi.

Delta has been pretty good in (mostly) helping me when things get a little sideways.  And, they're one of the most punctual airlines in the biz (which is kind of damning with faint praise for the airlines).

Have a wonderful trip. Can't wait to follow along. 

• Like 1

Graphicguy

Will be joining you on this cruise too, followed you when you cruised earlier so this time will be living the cruise along with you. Glad you are bringing the GF! 

Our last cruise was on Edge in a SS in August/September this year. Really enjoyed the Retreat. Will not be in a suite this time since we are sailing for 49 days starting on February 5th on Reflection for a B2B then over to Apex for a B2B and finally over to Silhouette for a B2B ending March 28th. Suite life would have been some $$$ on all three. Would rather cruise longer. 

Great being retired which occurred 4 years ago. Mid 60’s also so hopefully a lot of cruise time in our future. 

May see you on board, I do hope we sail at 40-50% capacity, Last time on Edge only had 1,032 passengers. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reel Love said:

graphicguy.....we have never sailed in a suite so perhaps the guidelines are different, however I thought that long pants were a "must" for men in the dining room/specialty restaurants in the evening? 

Of course this item on your list caught my eye because on one of our cruises my husband forgot to pack long pants for dinner.  Yep, you guessed it.....he was turned away at the MDR and needless to say some of our onboard credit very quickly went to the onboard shop for a pair of pants for him to wear in the MDR, lol.   

Have a wonderful time, and I sincerely hope that your girlfriend is able to get the time off work to accompany you this time.

I know the MDR on Celebrity had some fairly loose dress rules for dinner.  But, only ate in any of them.  

Luminae, even on Chic nights, was pretty casual.  I never dressed like a schlub, but did wear nice jeans for dinner most nights in Luminae.

Always wore shorts for breakfast and lunch.

Don't want to get into a dress code debate.  But, most of the mainstream cruise lines have been moving to more casual dress, even on "dress up nights" for quite a few years, now.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Will you consider placing a MOVE-UP bid? (Are they always available?)

Not sure.  I actually saw someone post around here somewhere that they went to customer service to inquire about an upgrade and actually got one for a nominal fee.

That has been relatively unheard of for the last several years.  Kind of like every once in a while someone will ask "can I go to the pier and buy a cheap ticket for the cruise the day of sailing?"  Answer is always, "no"!

• Thanks 1