Tax on the Drink Package (in US) Question

renysmom

For those who have cruised Alaska on Carnival with a drink package - I just saw this at the bottom of the package details: Would this include the two sea day from San Francisco to our first port while in the Pacific Ocean? Are we in US waters or international waters for that portion of the trip.  Not sure how close the ship stays to shore,  also do we know what the tax is in Alaska?  Just working on the budget for our June cruise and rather not be surprised.  Thanks

"Applicable state and local taxes will be charged to the guest folio when this program is used within US waters. The tax is based on the state's tax structure and the cost of the individual drink purchased (not the daily program rate). For example: if the drink price is $5 and the tax is 10%, the guest's Sail & Sign card will be charged $0.50 for tax. This applies to all US ports (embarkation home ports and ports-of-call)."

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It applies only when you are at (or very near) the US port - within the 12 mile limit (I believe).  I think when you depart San Fran you will be out in international waters within an hour.

Agree, I usually wait till we leave the port.

Just now, BasicSailor said:

I'm not gonna let sixty or seventy cents (per drink) stop me from grabbing drinks before sail-away!  We've usually had four or five drinks before we hit international waters out of Canaveral if we boarded around lunch time.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
11 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I'm not gonna let sixty or seventy cents (per drink) stop me from grabbing drinks before sail-away!  We've usually had four or five drinks before we hit international waters out of Canaveral if we boarded around lunch time.

I don't drink that much these days anyways, so I don't mind if you speed a little more on your vacation. 😉

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

As for Alaska, it looks like it doesn't have a State Sales Tax.  

Local taxes apply.

Ketchikan - 2.5%

Juneau - currently 5%, will be 2% 7/1/22 or 7/2/22, will be 1% 9/30/23 or 10/1/23

Tracy Arm Fjord - I'm guessing that it might use Juneau's rate.  Don't quote me on that.

Skagway - 0%

Hoonah(Icy Strait Point) - 6.5%

Sitka - fluctuates - 6% 4/1 - 9/30, 5% 10/1 - 3/30, I have no idea about 3/31.  The city website stops at 3/30.

• Like 1

This was several years ago, and a cruise on NCL, but I am pretty sure I only paid tax on my drinks while we were in Seattle and a little while after leaving port-

it was maybe $10 total (wife and myself, and I'm sure I "bought" a drink or two for people traveling with us

6 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

6 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I'm not gonna let sixty or seventy cents (per drink) stop me from grabbing drinks before sail-away!

0.70  x 5 drinks x 2 people = 7.00 that may push some cruisers budget out of whack. 🤔🤔🤔 But then teetotaler's don't care.

Edited by SNJCruisers

Enjoy Alaska! I know we did.

My $10 bill was a "surprise" too, as we had an all inclusive package-tips, dining, drink package, photos, shore excursions, all paid for.

I was going to go to guest services, but then I realized with 95% certainty that it was taxes on the drinks while in Seattle so it didn't pay to wait on a long line over $10 and waste part of my vacay time.

4 hours ago, ngrund said:

Enjoy Alaska! I know we did.

My $10 bill was a "surprise" too, as we had an all inclusive package-tips, dining, drink package, photos, shore excursions, all paid for.

I was going to go to guest services, but then I realized with 95% certainty that it was taxes on the drinks while in Seattle so it didn't pay to wait on a long line over $10 and waste part of my vacay time.

You can pull up your current invoice on the tv in your cabin and possibly even your account via the app.  This way it will save you time waiting in line at guest services.  If by some chance you still need to go to guest services, go on day six right before you go to bed or on day seven as soon as you get up.  If you wait until late morning on day seven you will have to fight with the "I'm removing my tips for this BS reason" contingent.

Yes, this was before the app, and it was mid-trip when i saw the charge on the TV, but I realized what it was. The bartenders/wait staff didn't mention it.

On cruises since then leaving ports that add the tax, the bartenders have always mentioned it.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:04 AM, renysmom said:

Thank you everyone. The tax is it going to stop us from enjoying our drink package, I just didn’t want to surprise at the end of the cruise of charges we didn’t know we’re going to happen.

I don't blame you. 1-2 days of surprise taxes wouldn't be a big deal. Getting them for the whole cruise would be. I think this is more of a problem in Europe with the 20% VAT. We sailed on NCL a few years back with the drink package. Our cruise started in Tampa and then Key West the next day, so we were aware we would have to pay tax until we left Key West. Some people were not aware and were quite unhappy when the bartenders told them.

Guest BasicSailor
13 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Princess does not charge tax with drink package while in US ports.

How do they get away with that?

13 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

How do they get away with that?

I wouldn't think they can get away with it.....rather Princess absorbs the cost, and does not pass it on to the customer. Less profit for them, but.....still they make a good profit on the drink. I wish Carnival would do that out of Galveston. 

• Thanks 1

Guest BasicSailor
4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I wouldn't think they can get away with it.....rather Princess absorbs the cost, and does not pass it on to the customer. Less profit for them, but.....still they make a good profit on the drink. I wish Carnival would do that out of Galveston. 

Princess absorbs the cost, and does not pass it on to the customer 👍 Fair enough. I do remember drink prices out of Galveston . Not my favorite port .

2 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Princess absorbs the cost, and does not pass it on to the customer 👍 Fair enough. I do remember drink prices out of Galveston . Not my favorite port .

To each their own. We love Galveston. And we drive down there. It's a tourist destination on its own, don't you know. 

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, Joe817 said:

To each their own. We love Galveston. And we drive down there. It's a tourist destination on its own, don't you know. 

No, perhaps I need to take another look 🙃

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2022 at 1:40 PM, sanger727 said:

I don't blame you. 1-2 days of surprise taxes wouldn't be a big deal. Getting them for the whole cruise would be. I think this is more of a problem in Europe with the 20% VAT. We sailed on NCL a few years back with the drink package. Our cruise started in Tampa and then Key West the next day, so we were aware we would have to pay tax until we left Key West. Some people were not aware and were quite unhappy when the bartenders told them.

So just checking, I am cruising out of New Orleans with 1st port (on second day) Key West.  Am I charged taxes that whole time?