On Riviera Now Jan 28; 2022 to Feb 7

catgirl411

52 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

Question for those onboard or that have recently sailed. Our 21 day boarding time selection is coming up, when are the cabins typically ready? With reduced capacity, not sure if it was sooner than our previous cruise. We are in a veranda if that helps with the timing. We would like to get on as soon as possible because of our early check out time at the hotel, but want to be able to drop off our carry-on in the cabin right after boarding.

Most hotels will store your bags until you are ready to go to the port

pre Covid  we would have lunch  then head to the port about 2pm  miss all the  fray at the Terrace

• Like 1

Last day…sigh…It’s been a great cruise. So glad we decided to come. Everything has seemed so close to normal. Yes, we all wear masks and yes, there aren’t very many people on board (pro and con) but it has been awesome to be out and about with great weather, beautiful surroundings and mostly nice people. 

I was told that the crew were all tested yesterday and they are COVID free!  Apparently there were 2 or 3 passengers with it towards the beginning of this cruise but it’s all clear now.

Please be kind to the crew. They have not been allowed to leave the ship at all as part of Oceania’s protocols. While it obviously works, it has to be very hard and the fact that they continue to be smiling, friendly and helpful is amazing.  Btw, I’m not as impressed with the friendliness of the officers. The Russian captain has not been overly noticeable, other than noon short announcements the first two days and two safety announcements at 7am on Friday and 8 am on Saturday. On other ships we’ve been on, the officers and captain have been very friendly and are often seen walking around the ship in the evening. 

But, all in all, it has been a wonderful cruise! Everyone has to make their own health and safety choices but I’m so happy we chose to sail.  Now back to the frozen north…brrrr.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Most hotels will store your bags until you are ready to go to the port

pre Covid  we would have lunch  then head to the port about 2pm  miss all the  fray at the Terrace

We stayed at the Hyatt downtown and because it was very under booked,we were able to get a noon checkout time easily. We opted for a 12:30 check in at the Pier.it was not crowded at all…we just breezed through the Covid tests and check in process. We headed up to the Terrace Cafe for lunch (not busy)and then proceeded to our cabin.  Now we only had 462 on board so that likely reduced all the waiting.

5 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

Last day…sigh…It’s been a great cruise. So glad we decided to come. Everything has seemed so close to normal. Yes, we all wear masks and yes, there aren’t very many people on board (pro and con) but it has been awesome to be out and about with great weather, beautiful surroundings and mostly nice people. 

I was told that the crew were all tested yesterday and they are COVID free!  Apparently there were 2 or 3 passengers with it towards the beginning of this cruise but it’s all clear now.

Please be kind to the crew. They have not been allowed to leave the ship at all as part of Oceania’s protocols. While it obviously works, it has to be very hard and the fact that they continue to be smiling, friendly and helpful is amazing.  Btw, I’m not as impressed with the friendliness of the officers. The Russian captain has not been overly noticeable, other than noon short announcements the first two days and two safety announcements at 7am on Friday and 8 am on Saturday. On other ships we’ve been on, the officers and captain have been very friendly and are often seen walking around the ship in the evening. 

But, all in all, it has been a wonderful cruise! Everyone has to make their own health and safety choices but I’m so happy we chose to sail.  Now back to the frozen north…brrrr.

On our Marina cruise, we were told that they are limiting the interaction of the captain/officers with the passengers due to COVID.  If a crew member test positive, it is much easier to replace than an officer and particularly the Captain!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

We stayed at the Hyatt downtown and because it was very under booked,we were able to get a noon checkout time easily. We opted for a 12:30 check in at the Pier.it was not crowded at all…we just breezed through the Covid tests and check in process. We headed up to the Terrace Cafe for lunch (not busy)and then proceeded to our cabin.  Now we only had 462 on board so that likely reduced all the waiting.

Different times

During the covid situation the lines will be shorter  especially with timed embarkation

I did say PRE COVID  we would  store our bags & go later  where the Terrace as well as check in can be a zoo around noon to 1pm

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, basor said:

On our Marina cruise, we were told that they are limiting the interaction of the captain/officers with the passengers due to COVID.  If a crew member test positive, it is much easier to replace than an officer and particularly the Captain!

Well, yes I guess that’s true but a staff member told us that this particular group of officers is like that anyways, without the pandemic. 

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

. . . .  PRE COVID  we would  store our bags & go later  where the Terrace as well as check in can be a zoo around noon to 1pm

We've never minded that "zoo."  In the 'before days,' there'd be roast turkey in Terrace Cafe on embarkation day.  But even more important, being in the throes of it meant we were ON the ship. 🤩 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, catgirl411 said:

Well, yes I guess that’s true but a staff member told us that this particular group of officers is like that anyways, without the pandemic. 

Covid or no Covid, the majority of the Officers have never had a reputation for being out and about.

I don't need them to be social but after a few Celebrity cruises in the last few years with Captain Kate and Captain Kafetzis, I can understand how being a bit more social could make the cruise more entertaining.

When I was on the Edge in Sept, I would open my cabin door so I could listen to what Capt Kate had to say- her 10am talk from the Bridge was always entertaining and you learned something new every day.

Oceania is still my favourite cruise line even though I can barely remember a captain's name on 18 cruises with O.

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, CoolChile said:

We've never minded that "zoo."  In the 'before days,' there'd be roast turkey in Terrace Cafe on embarkation day.  But even more important, being in the throes of it meant we were ON the ship. 🤩 

Different strokes 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingxpert said:

Covid or no Covid, the majority of the Officers have never had a reputation for being out and about.

I don't need them to be social but after a few Celebrity cruises in the last few years with Captain Kate and Captain Kafetzis, I can understand how being a bit more social could make the cruise more entertaining.

When I was on the Edge in Sept, I would open my cabin door so I could listen to what Capt Kate had to say- her 10am talk from the Bridge was always entertaining and you learned something new every day.

Oceania is still my favourite cruise line even though I can barely remember a captain's name on 18 cruises with O.

Yes, I agree about Celebrity..the captains are often fun. And I always felt appreciated as a guest on their ship…same with Princess.  It’s my understanding that the aloofness of the captain and other officer on this ship extends to the crew but who knows?

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.  I hope those on the February 7 cruise will keep this going or start your own. Has their been any indication that any islands are requiring boosters?  There are a few cruise lines requiring that now.

We are sad this portion of the cruise ends tomorrow and will bring staying on board for the next. We've enjoyed everything about the cruise.

However, I agree with Cat regarding the officers onboard. I've never seen officers so unfriendly as these. They won't rain on my parade.

33 minutes ago, jrandjr said:

We are sad this portion of the cruise ends tomorrow and will bring staying on board for the next. We've enjoyed everything about the cruise.

However, I agree with Cat regarding the officers onboard. I've never seen officers so unfriendly as these. They won't rain on my parade.

Several of the officers  we have met  English is not their 1st language  so sometimes having a conversation is difficult  for them

besides the  Covid factor  ..I am sure  the company does not want to have to find a replacement bridge officers on short notice  if they need to be quarantined

JMO

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:10 PM, jubileebabe said:

Wishing everyone on Rivera’s 7th Feb cruise Happy Cruising. Unfortunately have had to cancel, not Covid related. Managed to transfer to Dec 4th cruise on Marina. So have another 11 months now to get into swimsuit and enjoy browsing excursions.

Enjoy your cruise.

We tried to transfer our Rome to Miami cruise in November/December to their similar transatlantic next year. We are really disappointed in Oceania that they refused — they gave us 1/4 of our money back and wouldn’t consider a postponement. This would have been our fourth cruise with Oceania. Now that we are newly retired, we had planned to do many more O cruises. Looking for recommendations on another high end cruise line to switch to. 

This sounds very odd as we are sailing on a Sept 2022 (2 months before you) Sirena cruise, and we can cancel now with no penalty, cancel between 03MAR and 01APR with the $250.00pp administrative fee which remains in our account to be used on a future cruise and do not arrive to 25% penalty until after the 01APR.   Your invoice should state your cancelation penalty, I would double check

3 minutes ago, basor said:

This sounds very odd as we are sailing on a Sept 2022 (2 months before you) Sirena cruise, and we can cancel now with no penalty, cancel between 03MAR and 01APR with the $250.00pp administrative fee which remains in our account to be used on a future cruise and do not arrive to 25% penalty until after the 01APR.   Your invoice should state your cancelation penalty, I would double check

Actually this was for a 2021 Autumn cruise. We were in the penalty period but tried to get a transfer or postponement.

37 minutes ago, Jiki said:

Actually this was for a 2021 Autumn cruise. We were in the penalty period but tried to get a transfer or postponement.

Ok - you indicated that it was a NOV/DEC cruise - so you tried to cancel your cruise last Autumn within the penalty period and are unhappy that they did not change the stated penalty period?   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jrandjr said:

... However, I agree with Cat regarding the officers onboard. I've never seen officers so unfriendly as these. They won't rain on my parade.

I wonder if the COVID quarantining at ports is partially to blame. While on Riviera 12/13-23/21 they were extremely friendly. I remember very fondly a morning breakfast interacting with the Environmental Officer (I looked his name up on their crew chart). And my wife smokes, so when I'd hunt her down by Horizons there were many senior officers smoking. They were quite friendly when I talked to them. I was glad, for example, to say some great positives to the head of housekeeping once, mentioning our cabin stewards by name, and she commented positively on both & thanked me for the recommendations.

Seemed like if you wanted to interact personally with our senior crew, you had to meet them in the Horizons smoking area.

The crew could get out at our first stop, Cozumel on 12/15, but after that they couldn't. IF that has stayed in place continuously since, I can't imagine being on board her for nearly 2 months straight with no port access. 

12 hours ago, Jiki said:

We tried to transfer our Rome to Miami cruise in November/December to their similar transatlantic next year. We are really disappointed in Oceania that they refused — they gave us 1/4 of our money back and wouldn’t consider a postponement. This would have been our fourth cruise with Oceania. Now that we are newly retired, we had planned to do many more O cruises. Looking for recommendations on another high end cruise line to switch to. 

Take a look at Windstar. They run similar itineraries to Oceania. Also look at Azamara, they have the same R ships as O does.

12 hours ago, basor said:
12 hours ago, Jiki said:

Well  cruises are a lot like underwear....    they all do a similia job  yet  subtitle in differences. as they  "fit" different and have different feels

What I like is what "fits me"   Too  thats what everybody will tell ... how cruise x-y-z   fits them, their style and taste       The quandary  you face is that you have to try  others to see if it fits you .       It is not an easy answer   like food, cars, cities  many factors

I will say, for me, that after some 40 years  cruising   NCL-HAL-O -Regent- Royal Viking  that I have selected O as the one that best fit me.      

Good luck in your quest  it is not an easy one with easy answers and in to days " new Cruise "  operations   all past bets are off.

23 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

In our experience, Oceania officers tend to stick to themselves and not interact a whole lot with passengers.

For those that have followed this forum for the last few years I think it's common to see posts about the lack of interaction with the Officers. Over the years if you've read comparisons between Azamara & Oceania this is something that is always pointed out.  Some cruise lines make a point to have that interaction. Oceania on the other hand doesn't really have that culture. Some passengers really enjoy that schmoozing & attention. I don't need the interaction with them, although it's nice when they nod or say hello as you pass them by. 

For the most part we've had interactions with CD's & GM's on most ships, with a couple of exceptions. In my experience the most aloof group we've come across have been the Oceania Club Ambassadors, with a couple of exceptions of nice ones. Cella/Celia comes to mind as one of the exceptions. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, basor said:

Ok - you indicated that it was a NOV/DEC cruise - so you tried to cancel your cruise last Autumn within the penalty period and are unhappy that they did not change the stated penalty period? YES, other cruise lines were making similar accommodations due to Covid.

13 hours ago, basor said:

Ok - you indicated that it was a NOV/DEC cruise - so you tried to cancel your cruise last Autumn within the penalty period and are unhappy that they did not change the stated penalty period?   

Yes, other cruise lines were allowing postponement and transfer due to Covid. They relaxed some rules due to Covid. 

5 minutes ago, ORV said:

For those that have followed this forum for the last few years I think it's common to see posts about the lack of interaction with the Officers. Over the years if you've read comparisons between Azamara & Oceania this is something that is always pointed out.  Some cruise lines make a point to have that interaction. Oceania on the other hand doesn't really have that culture. Some passengers really enjoy that schmoozing & attention. I don't need the interaction with them, although it's nice when they nod or say hello as you pass them by. 

For the most part we've had interactions with CD's & GM's on most ships, with a couple of exceptions. In my experience the most aloof group we've come across have been the Oceania Club Ambassadors, with a couple of exceptions of nice ones. Cella/Celia comes to mind as one of the exceptions. 

As long as the captain gets us there safely I don’t care if I don’t talk to them. CD is there to be the top face of the crew/officers and that’s good enough for me. I will seek out the GM or HM if I have a serious problem, but more often than not to thank them or single out a crew member for praise.

Do we get another thread for the new voyage? Really enjoying reading these - thank you everyone! I promise I will try and do something at least half as good for Sirena’s restart cruise.  

• Like 1